Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Suicide Squad - The Movie *Now with spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    Looks like Jared Leto now feels he was "tricked" into appearing in the Suicide Squad movie....

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/jared-leto-reportedly-feels-he-was-tricked-into-184403204.html
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Torchsong said:

I buy tickets to games, own several jerseys and have a line of action figures in my office. I'm definitely invested in the team...

Don't you have a black and gold Warhammer army too? Do They choke in big moments and always let thier commander take free hits all game long too?

editor's note: I don't play Warhammer so I have no clue what I'm talking about, kinda like 'Aints fans
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I just saw it today. I loved it for the most part! Random thoughts:

I was a little surprised Joker wasn't nearly as abusice as I thought he'd be. Apparently that was cut out of the film.

Loved Will Smith and Margot Robbie.

I might have preferred a slightly more grounded villain.

I knew exactly what would happen to Slipknot. I think everyone knew.

I didn't feel like I needed more Joker, though it was only after the movie that I realized a few of his trailer bits weren't in the movie.

I definitely don't have mixed feelings about this movie. Unlike BvS.

• Options

I wondered why Captain Boomerang rejoined the team after running away.... Then it made sense that he likely didn't have a way out of that war zone... And that boomerangs always come back around.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

Don't you have a black and gold Warhammer army too? Do They choke in big moments and always let thier commander take free hits all game long too?

editor's note: I don't play Warhammer so I have no clue what I'm talking about, kinda like 'Aints fans

I do indeed...but I made that army back when Aaron Brooks was the QB. It wasn't so much that they'd let him take free hits as much as he'd hold onto the dice as long as possible before making a move and then eventually the whole squad would lose field position when he finally did try and move and...ahhh, screw it. The analogy is too long.

I forget where I put that army, though...I stopped playing WH40K about a decade or so ago...

• Options

And then there are the fans who throw batteries at opposing teams’ fans, or giveaway prizes onto the field to show their displeasure.

The equivalent of "bitching on the internet about it." :)

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Torchsong said:

And then there are the fans who throw batteries at opposing teams’ fans, or giveaway prizes onto the field to show their displeasure.

Throwing batteries, or even drinks (which I’ve seen in person), at people goes beyond mere bitching; that’s assault. I remember my alma mater losing to an in-state rival in football at home, and several fist-fights breaking out between opposing fans after the game. And I didn’t even go into soccer hooligans. People can take their entertainment way too seriously, especially when alcohol enters the mix.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Torchsong said:

Throwing batteries, or even drinks (which I’ve seen in person), at people goes beyond mere bitching; that’s assault. I remember my alma mater losing to an in-state rival in football at home, and several fist-fights breaking out between opposing fans after the game. And I didn’t even go into soccer hooligans. People can take their entertainment way too seriously, especially when alcohol enters the mix.

-throws Suicide Squad trade paperbacks at you-

Whatchu say about this move and DC films, pal?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Torchsong said:

You wanna make something of it? *pulls out an Avengers Omnibus—from where, I have no idea*
  • Options

Torchsong said:

You wanna make something of it?
    ADMIT YOU LIKED BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN OR I WILL SHOOT YOUR CAT AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CAT I WILL FORCE YOU TO RAISE ONE FROM A KITTEN AND THEN SHOOT IT IN FRONT OF YOU!!!
  • Options

Torchsong said:

The only fights I've ever seen break out at concerts were at Phil Collins and REM.

Savor that for a moment... :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Torchsong said:

The only fights I've ever seen break out at concerts were at Phil Collins and REM.

Savor that for a moment... :)
    You need to go to better concerts. :)
  • Options

Well, contrast that with AC/DC, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Slayer, etc...where I'd expect that kind of stuff...but no, everyone is well behaved.

And if you never saw REM live...YOU need to go to better concerts. :smile:
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Torchsong said:

Well, contrast that with AC/DC, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Slayer, etc...where I'd expect that kind of stuff...but no, everyone is well behaved.

And if you never saw REM live...YOU need to go to better concerts. :smile:
    Just a joke. I never got to see REM, but I had all their albums. I have seen Phil Collins with Genesis, and that was the only concert where I purposefully sat behind the stage so I could see the drumming better.

I've only been to two shows where I saw very minor scuffles. One was Living Colour at a small local venue (before “Cult of Personality” started getting national airplay), where a crowd surfer panicked and kicked out at someone and started something that was quickly ended. The second was at a 7 Seconds show—same venue. That was just some guy in the mosh pit who got a little carried away. Again, it was settled very quickly before any real punches were thrown.
  • Options
    I figured you were joking...just throwin' it back. :)

The REM fight was actually funny. Nothing like watching a guy done up in a vest, birkenstocks and other "pseudo-hippie" gear being drug out screaming "I'll kill you, motherfucker!!!"

Phil Collins was some guy slinging his beer around on everyone and trying to start stuff. Most of us were like "You DO realize you're at a Phil Collins concert, right?!?"

Metallica show had a mosh pit and there were some parents who brought their kids and the kids were getting knocked into it. Several of us stepped in and basically kept the moshers at bay, but that wasn't really a fight, more of a "Go fall on each other in a homoerotic way somewhere else, guys. There are kids here." :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Nothing like watching a guy done up in a vest, birkenstocks and other "pseudo-hippie" gear being drug out screaming "I'll kill you, motherfucker!!!"

Please tell me he had John Lennon glasses and a headband. That would be the piece de resistance.
  • Options
    Ha...no it was more of a shaggy haircut like the lads in Oasis tended to wear. I think if you wear a headband to an REM show Michael Stipe walks offstage and refuses to perform kinda like Axl Rose does if you look at him while he's singing. :)
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    I've been to a couple REM shows because my older sister had a crush on Stipe (shows you how long ago it was) and she'd drag me along and we'd inevitably get into fights but I admit those concerts turned me into a lifelong REM fan.

To bring it back to our thread topic.. while I was underwhelmed by the Suicide Squad film, I must say I am deeply in love with the Twenty One Pilots song "Heathens" which plays during the closing credits.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited August 2016
    Man THIS thread went off the rails...

thanks for the steering correct @BionicDave
  • Options

To bring it back to our thread topic.. while I was underwhelmed by the Suicide Squad film, I must say I am deeply in love with the Twenty One Pilots song "Heathens" which plays during the closing credits.

My daughter loves the song too, but she liked them a lot before the song came out. I think it's one of their better songs.
  • Options

Hey, 15 pages of posts before a thread drift is pretty darn good around these parts. ;)
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

Hey, 15 pages of posts before a thread drift is pretty darn good around these parts. ;)
    Not WW related either
  • Options

I heard that song on the radio yesterday. Very good song.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited August 2016
    Torchsong said:

The REM fight was actually funny. Nothing like watching a guy done up in a vest, birkenstocks and other "pseudo-hippie" gear being drug out screaming "I'll kill you, motherfucker!!!"

In my defense, the other guy was totally being a motherfucker.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Finally saw suicide squad tonight. Ultimate verdict... I ""liked it". Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. Nothing blew me away and nothing really disappointed me.
    I think in many ways it's technically a "better" movie than BvS.

Thought the effects and images were good and interesting and different except for some at the climax.

Needed and wanted more boomerang. Really disappointing he wasn't showcased more.

Liked Harley but wanted to love her and think I and the audience should have or been able to. But I didn't get the impression that deep down she was actually decent or redeamable. She was entertaining but not at all likeable or admirable. At least not morally speaking. I've just always viewed Harley as being a bit more of a sympathetic character.

Like Diablo. Didn't expect to at all.

Liked croc. Could've been used to greater effect and been a real standout if handled a little differently. But he was fine.

Really liked katana even though she didn't have much to do. But she was cool.

I like the guy who played Rick flag and he did fine. But wasn't right for the part. His character was just fine.

Will smith was will smith. I like will smith and he was ok here performance wise. The character was in line but just should've been played by someone else. I think he should've been flag and that guy should've played lawton IMO.

Hate the girl playing enchantress. I guess her performance was ok for the most part but a couple times she was lousy. Goofy looking and personally I just don't like her.

Waller was pretty good overall. Although her personally shooting those few tech guys was a bit much. Just one step too far for the character IMO.

Joker was fine. A bit overdone but ok. I see potential and promise with this take, but need to see more. I liked how he was a bit more normal, direct and criminally minded. He and Harley's tattoos were dumb. Sure don't see why everyone's complaining about his amount of screen time. He had plenty IMO for not really needing to be there at all. Any more and it would've been gratuitous and shoehorned.

Flash looks silly. And where was he or any other metas / heroes for this threat? He stopped a bank robber but too busy to save the world? Batman?
    And speaking of batman, while I dug him, couldn't he and wouldn't he have waited till Lawton dropped his kid off at home before attacking him in front of her in the alley?

Nice soundtrack and music, but it felt like they were trying too hard with it. Especially early on. Like trying to mimic gotg or something as has been said.

Found it often a bit too dark and hard to follow the action. But it was mostly just bullets flying anyway so didn't feel I missed much. Wouldve like more creative fighting and action scenes.

I'd watch it again, but can't see needing or wanting to watch it repeatedly in the future.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited February 2017
    In the DC film studio offices:

Suicide Squad - Academy Award winning film. Suck on that Marvel. Yeah, you may have the whole inter connected film universe thing going for you, but our hair and makeup is on point!

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I didn't like the movie but I guess the makeup was pretty good
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

In the DC film studio offices:

Suicide Squad - Academy Award winning film. Suck on that Marvel. Yeah, you may have the whole inter connected film universe thing going for you, but our hair and makeup is on point!

It's funny, part of the reason I don't like the movie is the make-up of the Joker & Harley.

M
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I did not really think that much of it when I saw the film.

I do not know how that stuff works but I guess from a technical point, it was probably a chore to keep everything even close to consistent on Harley & Joker throughout the film.
  • Options
    Good for them. The makeup was really well done. I'm hoping it was as much for Croc and the Enchantress as it was for Harley and the Joker.