Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Had the opportunity to hand a stack of TPBs to a very bored looking 12 year old who was with his mom while she was at our house. I told him, "look through them and if you like anything you see you're free to keep it." He left with the whole stack. :)

Nicely done.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    The enticement for the PBS fundraiser on air tonight is early 1950's pop music.

Aiming for that elusive 70 - 85+ year old demo is a bold fund raising move.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Hey, play to your audience. Though I have to admit that I'm a big fan of early ’50s pop music too. Bing Crosby, Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Rosemary Clooney, the Ink Spots, Les Paul and Mary Ford, Billy Holliday... I keep them all in my music rotation.
  • Options

Hey, play to your audience. Though I have to admit that I'm a big fan of early ’50s pop music too. Bing Crosby, Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Rosemary Clooney, the Ink Spots, Les Paul and Mary Ford, Billy Holliday... I keep them all in my music rotation.
    You are next in line for "The World's Most Interesting Man" job.
  • Options

You are next in line for "The World's Most Interesting Man" job.
    Watch it, or I'll invite you over to look through my vintage record collection. ;)
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    fredzilla said:

aquatroy said:

The paint scheme is a bit to "Reb Brown" for my taste, but the other details are fantastic. I would have prefered something that looked a bit more like the old WLA.

Meh... What was wrong with this look?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Anything fun going on?

I've been cleaning the house this weekend
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

mwhitt80 said:

Purchased Rifftrax Live - Mothra tickets for August 18. Now I need to find a buddy/wife to go with.

Anyone else going?

Got our tickets over the weekend. I wasn’t sure if we’d be able to go, but we were able to finagle our schedules.
    Tuesday night. Taking my son as his birthday present. Saw Starship Troopers and Godzilla Rifftrax and enjoy the scene.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Had the opportunity to hand a stack of TPBs to a very bored looking 12 year old who was with his mom while she was at our house. I told him, "look through them and if you like anything you see you're free to keep it." He left with the whole stack. :)

Nicely done.
    I have nephews I have done this for. Spread the love. I just think they might feel the disconnect over the current movies versus comic book depiction ( if that is how they know the characters)
  • Options
    So I'm 75℅ done rearranging my back room. This has taken us almost a year; we started this progress about a month before my wife got pregnant with Luke. We've been really busy with working on the house the last few weeks. I'll have to post some pictures when I finally get done
  • Options
    It may be a trainwreck but I am looking forward to this tv show with William Shatner, Henry Winkler, Terry Bradshaw, and George Foreman wandering around Asia.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

It may be a trainwreck but I am looking forward to this tv show with William Shatner, Henry Winkler, Terry Bradshaw, and George Foreman wandering around Asia.

Yes to this.

• Options
    Interesting interview with this associate curator for Ohio State University’s Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum

• Options

Yes to this.

Good show. Maybe a little forced in spots but I laughed out loud more with this than any regular tv sitcom I have seen in years.

The guy who is their gopher for this trip landed the best job ever. I am jealous.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    ESPN has an article on Draft Kings and Fan Duel. I'm not a DFS player, but I found the story very interesting. It focuses on the rise and following legal/ethical problems that DFS ran into. It's not a hit piece, just a look into what happened with those 2 companies over the last 2/3 years.

My only strong opinion on DFS is that if legal issues caused those commercials from airing every 90 seconds then justice has been served.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    mwhitt80 said:

ESPN has an article on Draft Kings and Fan Duel. I'm not a DFS player, but I found the story very interesting. It focuses on the rise and following legal/ethical problems that DFS ran into. It's not a hit piece, just a look into what happened with those 2 companies over the last 2/3 years.

My only strong opinion on DFS is that if legal issues caused those commercials from airing every 90 seconds then justice has been served.

The catch with some of those leagues is in the fine print. I played a couple of time (entering into some of $1,000-5000 leagues) & won a grand total of .40 due to the fact that the prize was up to the amount and not the actual amount. Also, there was no cap on entrants which resulted in something like 7 million people being in one league.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    So... No Man's Sky. What a shitshow that turned into.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Yes, you need to read the rules for each game type. Some are guaranteed, some are 50/50 (the top 50% wins a little money), etc.

I find the commercials annoying too although I enjoy playing. I put in no more than about $30 a month. The most I've won in a weekend is about $100.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128

Interesting interview with this associate curator for Ohio State University’s Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum

I had to do a double take because I thought that was Alison Brie from Community
  • Options
    edited August 2016

What's going on with the game? I thought most people were enjoying it.

Speaking of games. I've been playing lots of Gran Turismo 2, and SNK Baseball All Stars.

SNK Hint: 1) I've had luck with keeping the saved teams by not removing game from the NES.
    2) when cash grinding for your team, Play the lovely ladies , and use the initial bit of money to raise all your non pitchers prestige skill above 11. Higher prestige levels equals more cash for wins
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited August 2016
    mwhitt80 said:

What's going on with the game? I thought most people were enjoying it.

Speaking of games. I've been playing lots of Gran Turismo 2, and SNK Baseball All Stars.

SNK Hint: 1) I've had luck with keeping the saved teams by not removing game from the NES.
    2) when cash grinding for your team, Play the lovely ladies , and use the initial bit of money to raise all your non pitchers prestige skill above 11. Higher prestige levels equals more cash for wins
    Unfortunately, it's become quite divisive. A lot of what was promised just isn't in the game. The joke name for the game is "One Man's Lie".

There might not be as much of
    A furor if they didn't charge this as a full
    Price game, or maybe waited a bit before releasing it.

• Options
    Just got a friendly reminder from the NBA that in 61 days my league pass renews! 61 days or 8 weeks of football!

Yes Sir.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Speaking of Fooseball. ESPN Networks are showing two high-school games Saturday both are featuring a team from Georgia.

Grayson vs. IMG Academy. Both are rated #2 nationally in different poles. ESPN 2@6:00

Colquitt County vs. American Heritage. Colquitt County is one of the best teams in the state for the last 6/7 years, and thier god/headcoach/pos rates pretty high on the scumbag scale. ESPU@ 8:00
  • Options
    Geez, CBRs new site is unusable garbage. Is there a paysite version that isn't crappy?

I'm done using them until they make some changes.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Agreed. Way to take an easy-to-navigate site and screw it up royally, CBR.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Geez, CBRs new site is unusable garbage. Is there a paysite version that isn't crappy?

I stopped going there on a daily basis three or four years ago. The past year or so, I may have gone to the site maybe once or twice a month. Too much movie and TV content, and not enough comic book content for my liking.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

I stopped going there on a daily basis three or four years ago. The past year or so, I may have gone to the site maybe once or twice a month. Too much movie and TV content, and not enough comic book content for my liking.
    I am was in that boat too. I liked looking at the solicitations.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Even though I thought their reviews lacked credibility (How can seemingly every comic be 4 or 5 stars?), I went to CBR fairly regularly. A few weeks ago, I noticed that it had become more "click" oriented - having to click thru multiple pages to see the entire article on pretty much every story.

That was the first warning sign.

This new design has chased me away. It is not user friendly and the site appears cluttered on my phone.
  • Options
    CBR has no credibility and is more interested in page views than content. The bane geeks looking for free geek news. Add BleedingCool and Newsarama to that list, although my problem with Newsarama is the popups...
  • Options
    Anyone ever play this game that came out in 2015? It's called Cuphead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TjUPXAn2Rg