Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Instead of Mordred it will be vampire/demon cult.

Nah, vampires are so yesterday. No, I think it will be R-rated, time-traveling zombies.
    The zombie thing is played out. People who haven't jumped off that boat are like teenage girls discovering twilight. For whatever reason werewolves (my favorite) never really caught on like vampires or zombies. Mummies could be ready for another comeback, but I doubt it.

Blackulas?
    Make it time-traveling Blaculas, and we might have something to work with.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Based on a suggestion from a co-worker, who is a solid Manchester United fan, suggested The Class of '92. He's right. It's brilliant.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    fredzilla said:

Based on a suggestion from a co-worker, who is a solid Manchester United fan, suggested The Class of '92. He's right. It's brilliant.

Being a massive United fan I have to agree. If you liked this, look out for the follow up (of sorts). Class of 92: Out of their League. A BBC documentary following the 'class' after they brought local non-league team Salford City. Another really good watch.
  • Options
    Just watched The Champions, film about the dogs coming out of that scumbag Michael Vicks dog fighting ring. Very good documentary. So nice to see people loving these poor, mistreated dogs. Having a Staffordshire Bull Terrier myself, a rescue dog from the famous Battersea Dogs and Cats home, it was an emotional watch. But great to see the happy dogs out the other end of their ordeal. These dogs get such a bad rap, when in reality it's the terrible human beings that make a bad dog through mistreatment. If anyone wants see how soft and loving dogs really are check out @mypalpooch on Twitter. You won't find a more loyal and loving breed of dog.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Good Will Hunting. Haven't seen it in awhile but it's an all time favorite
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    Just started Star Trek: Enterprise. Question, if you watched it on TV how did you deal with the god-awful theme song?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Just started Star Trek: Enterprise. Question, if you watched it on TV how did you deal with the god-awful theme song?

Fast forward, or mute

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    With my son home for the summer from college, we've been watching some anime for something different. I don't have much time for TV, but one 20-some-minute episode before bed is doable most nights. First we watched Girls & Panzer, as my son is a military history buff and liked the tanks. It was a completely ludicrous set-up, but a fun show with some nice animation—and it’s only 14 episodes. Now we’re watching Kill la Kill, which reminds me of a super-condensed Brandon Graham comic. I don't know how else to describe. It's very fast-paced, with a mix of a couple of different animation styles that actually work together pretty well. Parts of it don't make a lot of sense, and it's definitely not for kids, but it's wacky fun, and we're getting a kick out of it.
  • Options
    Peaky Blinders, British gangster drama set in 1920's. Really good stuff. Each season is only 6 episodes finishing season 2 tonight. 3 was just released so I'll give that a watch tomorrow
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    After a lovely self-induced case of food poisoning, I was layed out of daddy and husband duties for about 1.5 days this weekend. So Netflix catch up it was.

Legit - starring Jim Jeffries is pretty funny. I'm five episodes in.

Real Husbands of Hollywood - finished season 1. This show was just fun to watch. Kevin Hart, plus a bunch of CW celebs with Robin Thicker and Nelly, doing a great parody of the "Real _______" franchises. I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    My son really enjoys The Thunderbirds on Amazon Prime. It's cgi but they still look like puppets in a lot of ways..pretty well done.
  • Options
    Voltron

that is all
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

My son really enjoys The Thunderbirds on Amazon Prime. It's cgi but they still look like puppets in a lot of ways..pretty well done.

A lot of the backgrounds are actually filmed on sets. They were definitely trying to maintain the feel of the original, even if we've moved on from supermarionation.
  • Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

A lot of the backgrounds are actually filmed on sets. They were definitely trying to maintain the feel of the original, even if we've moved on from supermarionation.
    That would explain it because I thought the sets really captured the feel of the old show.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I just finished the final season of the League. I'm going to miss that show
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I just finished the final season of the League. I'm going to miss that show

Me too. Great show. I was a bit disappointed with the last season though. No where near as good as the first few.
  • Options
    Let's see

Netflix: Orange is the New Black season 4. I'm about 8 episodes in and it's shaping up to be a strong season. After last year I was worried because I thought the show slipped.

HBO Now: The Leftovers season 1. I'm about 3 episodes in. I'm taking my time on this one it's pretty heavy stuff.

Amazon Prime: Love and Mercy. Terrific biopic about Brian Wilson. Paul Dano and John Cusack play Wilson in 60's and 80's respectively and it works. I wouldn't call myself the biggest Beach Boys fan but it did give me a greater appreciation of their music
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited June 2016
    Maybe a little surprised by the lack of any Game of Thrones talk.

Overall, I there were a fair number of flat spots this season, but the final two episodes really brought things home and there were enough other strong elements, like Bran's story to really leave me very satisfied.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited June 2016
    I've just finished watching season 1 of The Expanse. It's beautiful to look at, and the premise was compelling, but I found the show to be a struggle to sit through, even at only 10 episodes. Still, I'll give season 2 a try, see if it becomes more engaging.
  • Options
    Recently watched The Resurrection of Jake the Snake. What a great redemption story it was. I know I've said it on the forums before that I've never been that much into professional wrestling, but there was a time as a kid in the mid-to-late 80's where it was a big thing in my life, and seeing such a legend hit bottom and come back was refreshing. Even after each setback, and fall I kept rooting for him. Worth 90 minutes if you get the chance.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Recently watched The Resurrection of Jake the Snake. What a great redemption story it was. I know I've said it on the forums before that I've never been that much into professional wrestling, but there was a time as a kid in the mid-to-late 80's where it was a big thing in my life, and seeing such a legend hit bottom and come back was refreshing. Even after each setback, and fall I kept rooting for him. Worth 90 minutes if you get the chance.

I watched this too. The last time I had any idea about his condition was years ago in the Beyond the Mat movie(almost 20 years ago now). It was great to see him battle through his demons(Scott Hall too) and get back in the good graces of the WWE. That said, I have to wonder how well he is doing now..has he been clean in the days since the movie filmed?

• Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    kiwijase said:

I've just finished watching season 1 of The Expanse. It's beautiful to look at, and the premise was compelling, but I found the show to be a struggle to sit through, even at only 10 episodes. Still, I'll give season 2 a try, see if it becomes more engaging.

I agree! I really wanted to like it more, and I'll give season 2 a try as well, but it was a bit of a struggle to sit through. I would've prefer less time with the Thomas Jane story line and more time with the United Nations executive, played by the always engaging Shohreh Aghdashloo. I found her character and storyline to be the most interesting.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    kiwijase said:

I really enjoyed it quite a bit. As far as book to screen adaptation, I feel like it's as close as I've seen. They streamlined a few things and added a few things for flavor, but great book, great TV. Det. Miller (Jane) is essential to the overarching story.
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited July 2016
    I recently enjoyed the new "The Man in the High Castle" series, produced by Amazon. Alternate history in which the Axis powers won WWII and now co-occupy what was once the United States....as a rebellion stirs, fueled by mysterious films depicting a history in which the Axis powers lost (i.e. "our history").
  • Options
    I've been watching some Star Trek movies on Amazon.

The Motion Picture-The Jerry Goldsmith score is great and the visuals are pretty nifty. But other than that this a pretty boring film.

Wrath of Khan-The best film in the series bar none
  • Options
    DAR said:

The Motion Picture-The Jerry Goldsmith score is great and the visuals are pretty nifty. But other than that this a pretty boring film.

I'm also doing the same thing (though I started just before they left Netflix). For me, Voyage Home is better. I forgot how much I loved that movie until I rewatched it.

Also, I've been watching Stranger Things on Netflix and it has been the biggest surprise of the summer. Every review that says its like 80s Steven Speilberg meets 80s Stephen King nails it.
  • Options

Also, I've been watching Stranger Things on Netflix and it has been the biggest surprise of the summer. Every review that says its like 80s Steven Speilberg meets 80s Stephen King nails it.

I just watched the first episode while I worked out this morning and it was really good. I agree with the description. I'm debating whether or not it would be something my wife would like to see. If so, I'll have to wait to watch the rest of it so we can watch it together. Definitely fun, though.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited July 2016
    DAR said:

I saw The Motion Picture again on regular tv a couple of weeks ago. It was edited down to 2 hrs (take away away 30-40 mins of that for commercials) and at that length it is not so bad. The full 2 hour + version is a tough watch.
  • Options

DAR said:

I saw The Motion Picture again on regular tv a couple of weeks ago. It was edited down to 2 hrs (take away away 30-40 mins of that for commercials) and at that length it is not so bad. The full 2 hour + version is a tough watch.
    I own but haven't watched my DVD of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Director's Cut (Special Collector's Edition). Billed as more than simply a "director's cut," this new edition features enhanced, and in some cases completely redone, special effects as well as (for a change of pace) cuts to tighten the dawdling story. I saw the original in the theaters, but can't recall watching it since.

Which one is the 'preferred' viewing?

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited July 2016

DAR said:

I own but haven't watched my DVD of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Director's Cut (Special Collector's Edition). Billed as more than simply a "director's cut," this new edition features enhanced, and in some cases completely redone, special effects as well as (for a change of pace) cuts to tighten the dawdling story. I saw the original in the theaters, but can't recall watching it since.

Which one is the 'preferred' viewing?

Whichever one is shortest :smile:

I have not seen the directors cut with new effects but if it is as good as the enhanced effects version of the original series, than that would be the way to go.