Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Splitting my time between Penny Dreadful and That 70's Show.

I'm in the middle of the second season of Penny Dreadful. I continue to be intrigued, but I'm not feeling nearly as engaged as I was with Season One. It has reminded me that Timothy Dalton is a completely underappreciated actor.

I was a late adopter for That 70's Show, but it appears that I actually managed to see all but one episode from the first two seasons in rerun. I'm amazed at how quickly it found it's legs. Probably one of my all time favorite sitcoms. Red is certainly one of my favorite TV dad/mentor characters... right up there with Dr. Cox from Scrubs.
  • Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

Dman said:

I listened to this the HHWLOD podcast where they've been doing these special Star Trek related special episodes, taking one series at a time. They've just finished my favorite, DS9, including a Top 5 favorite episode list. It's actually made me go and check out some of the DS9 episodes on Netflix, particularly from seasons 6 and 7; the Dominion War episodes. I will love that show forever. I just wish it was shown in 1080p, or at least 720p, rather than 420. I guess that won't happen until that glorious day when DS9 is released on Blu-Ray.

I'm watching DS9 now on streaming. It's the last show I need to watch to completion before Discovery starts. I'm having a very trek year.
    Have you subscribed to the CBS all access yet? I hear that even though it is a pay service that it still has commercials...? True?
    I want to stream Discovery but I am NOT paying for another service...especially for only one show. I'm guessing it will nake it's way to Blu-ray and I'll watch it that way.
    Looks like the $5.99 service of CBS All Access still has commercials, and the option to get rid of commercials is $9.99 a month. That's what I pay for (commercial-free) Netflix. How on earth does CBS hope to compete?

CBS admits even the "ad-free" service still has local commercials.
    A CBS rep said the “ad-free” version of All Access does not strip out the commercials in the local TV feeds because those cannot be technically removed from the live streams. It’s also likely that CBS’s agreements with affiliates preclude it from doing so anyway.

So in addition to Star Trek Discovery (STD!) CBS All Access has full current seasons of “Big Brother,” “Blue Bloods,” “Madam Secretary” and “The Odd Couple,” as well as late-night, daytime and news programming. Other original series on the service will soon include a spinoff of “The Good Wife” and a new digital edition of “Big Brother.”

No thanks. Anyone know when STD is scheduled to be on Hulu or Netflix?

I don't care about ads on the live feeds, it's either that or 2-3 minutes of dead air slate, (which is what ABC/Disney does on its streams and I can tell you is maddening and makes me not watch those channels). As for what I'm going to do with DSC (sorry, no STDs for me), is up in the air. Probably, I'll free trial All Access after the show has finished its run and binge it. Netflix has the show exclusively in every other territory in the world, so maybe they'll get it, but who knows. I doubt the "All Access" experiment will last more than 2 years anyway. Hulu (actually a great service) has had a hard enough time establishing itself with a similar price point, access to numerous networks next day content, and one of the best back catalogs of programming in streaming because of ads. Essentially offering a quarter of the same thing (with like 80% of the content currently available elsewhere) makes very little sense from my standpoint.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Heard about a movie called Bottleshock on an episode of StarTalk with Neil DeGrasse Tyson. It's currently on Amazon Prime.

Tells the story of a 1976 blind tasting in Paris between select French vs California wines.

The cast includes Alan Rickman, Chris Pine and Bill Pullman. I quite enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Just finished season 2 of "Narcos." If you liked season 1, you'll like this one, as it's really just 1 long 20 episode season broken into 2 parts.

No spoilers, although history already tells us how it all ends, but looks like they've left things open for mores seasons to come as well.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Just took advantage of the 45-day free trial of Hulu (commercial option) offer from Groupon. It's free, but this Groupon offer expires in about 9 hours. Once you grab it, you have 60 days to use the offer before it expires and then you have a 45 day trial period - which is the longest I've seen anywhere lately. I haven't used Hulu in years, so I thought we'd give it a shot*.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/hulu

* wife was binge-watching 'Alias' on Netflix and the show is no longer available after tomorrow. She has 14 episodes left. It's on Hulu.
  • Options
    We watch Hulu a lot more than Netflix. Depends on what you're interested in, of course.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    The Rockford Files and loving every minute of it.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Greg said:

I was watching that when it was on MeTV. I even went so far as to track down and watch the TV movies from the 90's.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Greg said:

I was watching that when it was on MeTV. I even went so far as to track down and watch the TV movies from the 90's.
    I forgot all about those.
  • Options
    4 episodes in and we're still enjoying Longmire season 5 on Netflix
  • Options

4 episodes in and we're still enjoying Longmire season 5 on Netflix

Big fan of Longmire, too!
  • Options
    Mascots - if you're a fan of Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, etc you'll enjoy this.
  • Options
    Walmart's Vudu streaming service, which lets you rent and buy movies on-demand, has launched a free section that's entirely supported by advertising.

Walmart has dubbed the section "Vudu Movies on Us," And it's a no-cost alternative to heavyweights like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Thought some people may ant to check it out. I added the channel to my Roku. Not much I hadn't already seen elsewhere.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Mascots - if you're a fan of Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, etc you'll enjoy this.

The competion scenes were pretty funny but overall I was pretty dissapointed
  • Options
    Yeah, I saw this available on Netflix, but passed. "Christopher Guest mockumentary" doesn't have the pull it once did for me.
  • Options
    Going through the Clone Wars series again and giving Dwarvenaut a watch this weekend.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    My wife and I just finished "Stranger Things" (it was my second go around, her first). So much fun.
  • Options

Yeah, I saw this available on Netflix, but passed. "Christopher Guest mockumentary" doesn't have the pull it once did for me.

I'm still a sucker for them. I had quite a few "laugh out loud" moments but I do think it was one of the weaker attempts. The one thing I kept thinking was how old some the actors getting.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Tried watching Black Mirror. Just couldn't get into it.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Watched ARQ and it was pretty good. Reminded me a bit of Memento.
  • Options
    DAR said:

Tried watching Black Mirror. Just couldn't get into it.

Just the first ep of the first season? Because it's off putting, but the rest of the show isn't really like that. If you watched past that and didn't enjoy it, that's cool, but don't judge it on that first ep.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Encino Man on Netflix Budddyyy!
  • Options
    Also I love batcrap insane Jason Statham movie, Wildcard on Hulu
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    The Grand Tour (ex-British Top Gear) streams tomorrow (11/18) on Amazon Prime. This may be the first time I use my Prime service to stream.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    fredzilla said:

The Grand Tour (ex-British Top Gear) streams tomorrow (11/18) on Amazon Prime. This may be the first time I use my Prime service to stream.

We use prime a lot. Daniel Tiger, Timmy Time, Shaun the sheep. The big 3 at our house.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

I've been excited about this for a while. The first episode was good and it really is the continuation of their version of Top Gear.

• Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Just finished watching Gilmore Girls: A year in the life. In general, the show did a creditable job of recapturing the charm of the original show. All the leads acquitted themselves well, particularly Kelly Bishop, who was like an exposed nerve all the way through the show. There were a few diversions and cameos I could have done without, and not all the supporting cast were used as well as they could have been, but the dialogue still sparkles. All in all, a wothwhile catch up with some old friends.
  • Options
    I enjoyed the new Gilmore Girls a lot.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I also enjoyed the new Gilmore Girls.

My only issue is that it could have used some editing. The 6 hr project could have been cut to 5 hrs without sacrificing much from the story. For example, The Stars Hollow Musical could have went from 10 mins to 1-2 mins and the story would not have been negatively effected.