Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    HellsfireHellsfire Posts: 89
    I'm watching all of Star Trek in chronological order. I'm now on S3 of TOS. Since I never liked TOS when I was a kid, I didn't watch it. It's like watching new Trek and it's pretty fun.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

American International Pictures,The company that Roger Corman started at years ago.
    I'm always watching 60s & 70s horror movies on Netflix, and I swear 90% of them end up being from AIP. They must have been cheap, because when I was a kid the small, local stations ran them all the time. I'm often surprised by how well I remember each of them.

Count Yorga, Madhouse, Tales That Witness Madness are the most recent ones I've watched. Worth checking out if you like that era of low budget horror. Well, maybe not the Count Yorga films, but they're still fun.
  • Options
    GonzogooseGonzogoose Posts: 66
    I just wrapped watching the first four seasons of Mad Men. Really enjoyed it. I wasn't really familiar with it at all, but saw it on there and gave it a try. Zoomed through them and now await the fifth season.
    I'm having trouble getting into this show. Watched two episodes, and all I took away from it is a bunch of selfish people trying to party it up as much as possible. Maybe I need to watch more, of maybe that's the draw of the show.
    Yeah, none of the characters really have redeeming qualities, that's true. I'm not sure what it is I like about it exactly, can pinpoint it. Maybe it's the era, or maybe I just like the whole advertising aspect of it, not sure.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2012
    @chrisw

AIP made their films extremely cheap. A bunch of them they didn't bother to file a copyright notice to save money. Plus they also made films to be sold as packages for TV syndication. The AIP/Corman Poe films are still some of the best horror films to ever come out.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Just watched God Bless America last night - this movie belongs in your queue. Absolutely beautiful look at where we're headed and how horribly, horribly terrible that is. Easily one of the best movies I've seen this year.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Just watched God Bless America last night - this movie belongs in your queue. Absolutely beautiful look at where we're headed and how horribly, horribly terrible that is. Easily one of the best movies I've seen this year.

Wasn't that film directed by Bobcat Goldthwait?
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I've been watching "Charlie Jade" - a South African scifi show about a detective and parallel worlds. It's pretty good. If you like Fringe, I'd say check it out for sure. 20 episodes is the whole series - all on Netflix.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

I've been watching "Charlie Jade" - a South African scifi show about a detective and parallel worlds. It's pretty good. If you like Fringe, I'd say check it out for sure. 20 episodes is the whole series - all on Netflix.

e
    L nny

Is that show streaming? Or do they have them for rent. I don't have the streaming option cause I have a low monthly data cap.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    dubbat138 said:

Torchsong said:

Yes. It's everything I wanted "Natural Born Killers" to be, right down to the ending. I think it's going to end up being one of the most underappreciated movies of this year. I won't out and out call it perfect (gets preachy at times, but that's kind of the point of the movie) but if you've ever felt like there were people in this world that the world would be better off without (but your basic humanity kept you from acting on it) this movie answers the question "What If?" for you.

Plus TV's Frank from MST3K has a cameo in it. :)

• Options
    Torchsong said:

dubbat138 said:

Torchsong said:

Yes. It's everything I wanted "Natural Born Killers" to be, right down to the ending. I think it's going to end up being one of the most underappreciated movies of this year. I won't out and out call it perfect (gets preachy at times, but that's kind of the point of the movie) but if you've ever felt like there were people in this world that the world would be better off without (but your basic humanity kept you from acting on it) this movie answers the question "What If?" for you.

Plus TV's Frank from MST3K has a cameo in it. :)

I enjoyed that Robin Williams film Bobcat directed a few years ago. First Williams film I have liked since World according to Garp.
  • Options
    City of the Living Dead AKA Gates of Hell

Saw this Italian gore classic years ago on VHS under the Gates of Hell title. Directed by Lucio Fulci. A priest commits suicide in a church's cemetery and opens the gates of hell.Causing a flood of zombies to come through. Lots of great gore scenes. Like one where a guy is killed by taking a drill to his head. But the main one that anyone that has seen the film remembers is when a lady pukes up all her inner organs. What I love is since this was made back in 1980 all the FX work is practical stuff NO CGI.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Been giving Futurama a try, finally. Never really took to it before, but a few episodes in and I'm enjoying it so far.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    dubbat138 said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

Is that show streaming? Or do they have them for rent. I don't have the streaming option cause I have a low monthly data cap.

It IS streaming - but my understanding (might be wrong) is that anything they have streaming, they have in discs (the other way around, no).

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

It IS streaming - but my understanding (might be wrong) is that anything they have streaming, they have in discs (the other way around, no).

e
    L nny

That's not always the case. Before I had streaming, there were a couple films I wanted to see, but they were streaming only. I believe the discs were probably out of print.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

That's not always the case. Before I had streaming, there were a couple films I wanted to see, but they were streaming only. I believe the discs were probably out of print.
    ChrisW is right there is stuff that is streaming that they don't have for rent. One example is "The Rock-a-Fire Explosion". Which is a great documentary about the robot band from Showbiz Pizza. It is streaming,but they still don't have it for rental.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

For me its Frasier recently. I discovered that the callers are actually celebrities like Mel Brooks, Ben Stiller, etc.
    How about you?

Resurrect Dead: the mystery of the Toynbee Tiles

Great documentary about myserious art placed all over the world
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited July 2012
    I'm 7 years late to the party (well, maybe 50 years late), but just started watching DOCTOR WHO via Amazon Prime Instant Streaming. Watched the first two Season 1 eps so far.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    kgforce said:

I'm 7 years late to the party (well, maybe 50 years late), but just started watching DOCTOR WHO via Amazon Prime Instant Streaming. Watched the first two Season 1 eps so far.

AWESOME SHOW

• Options
    Planeis said:

For me its Frasier recently. I discovered that the callers are actually celebrities like Mel Brooks, Ben Stiller, etc.
    How about you?

that sounds interesting! Thanks for the nod..
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    kgforce said:

Never too late, @kgforce!
  • Options
    Watched Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil last night. For weeks I've been trying to convince my fiancee that it was a comedy, not a slasher film. Must have caught her at the right moment, because she finally relented and ended up enjoying it even more than I did.

We also finished up our Twin Peaks marathon - well, except for the film, which isn't available streaming, but we have a copy that we plan on watching soon. The second season held up a little better towards the end than I expected. It actually improved enough to make me regret that it didn't come back for a third season. I'd love to see it come back as a mini-series on HBO or Showtime just to wrap things up (which would be more appropriate than it sounds, since it's strongly indicated that something important happens to Agent Cooper twenty five years later, and we're coming up on that anniversary).
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Watched Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil last night. For weeks I've been trying to convince my fiancee that it was a comedy, not a slasher film. Must have caught her at the right moment, because she finally relented and ended up enjoying it even more than I did.

We also finished up our Twin Peaks marathon - well, except for the film, which isn't available streaming, but we have a copy that we plan on watching soon. The second season held up a little better towards the end than I expected. It actually improved enough to make me regret that it didn't come back for a third season. I'd love to see it come back as a mini-series on HBO or Showtime just to wrap things up (which would be more appropriate than it sounds, since it's strongly indicated that something important happens to Agent Cooper twenty five years later, and we're coming up on that anniversary).

Is the original version of the pilot episode of Twin Peaks up for streaming? I know for years the only way to get it was either a bootleg or a Korean released DVD.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

chrisw said:

Is the original version of the pilot episode of Twin Peaks up for streaming? I know for years the only way to get it was either a bootleg or a Korean released DVD.
    Yes - they cleared those rights up and finally released the entire thing on DVD a few years ago. That's basically what's up on Netflix.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

How about you?

Started watching this last night. I fell asleep because I was too tired, but I intend to finish it tonight.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    While doing stuff in the living room I had a Netflix streaming party (by myself). I watched Avatar the Last Airbender (movie), Immortals, Season of the Witch, and Robocop. Avatar was ok, I think the story itself was very impressive, but the movie wasn't done particularly well. Robocop was much better than I remember. The other two....well if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all :)
  • Options
    I finished up Freaks and Geeks last weekend. Part of it may be nostalgia, as I was the same age as Sam and his friends in 1980, but I thought the show was great! I give it 5 stars. Martin Starr was hilarious as Bill Haverchuck.
  • Options
    Finished that Toynbee Tiles documentary. For some reason, both nights I watched it I had trouble staying awake, so my fiancee ended up paying more attention to it than me. It was interesting, but I'm not sure the filmmakers did everything they could to get to the bottom of things, or even wanted to. Lots of conjecture, but nothing solid.

My weekend late-night horror movie viewing consisted of To The Devil A Daughter. If you've ever wanted to see Christopher Lee's ass, this is the movie for you. Or it may be his stunt double's ass, who knows. It's offset by also giving us Nastassja Kinski's boobs. Typical '70s, British satanic horror, but one that I've never seen before.

Also watched Burn, Witch, Burn, an early '60s film that I'm pretty sure I saw years ago. If you like stuff like The Haunting I'd recommend it.

And the most disturbing film I've seen in a while - The Baby. If you're looking for some good '70s sleaze, definitely check this out.

Also continued my viewing of the '60s Spider-Man cartoon and the original Hawaii Five-O. The best part about old Hawaii Five-O episodes are the guest stars that show up in crazy roles. Last week I got Ricardo Montalban as a Japanese crime boss, this week it was Gavin Macleod as a heroin dealer named Big Chicken. Believe it or not, but Captain Stubing/Murray Slaughter made a pretty convincing crook.
  • Options

I finished up Freaks and Geeks last weekend. Part of it may be nostalgia, as I was the same age as Sam and his friends in 1980, but I thought the show was great! I give it 5 stars. Martin Starr was hilarious as Bill Haverchuck.

That is my favorite show ever. Sucks that NBC cancelled it cause they got in a few calls complaining about one episode.
  • Options
    I finished watching the third season of Eureka a couple of weeks ago, and I'm currently watching the third season of Sliders. I saw the first three seasons years ago, but time conflicts prevented me from seeing the last seasons, so I'm watching the entire series, first to last.
  • Options
    Eureka was a great show that constantly reinvented itself. Sad to see it go, but it was fun while it lasted.

I haven't been watching any shows on Netflix recently. Got into a the Hulu show Battleground for a bit. Now that I'm done with that, I'll be checking out my Netflix queue soon...