Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    West Wing was a brilliant series! I bought the entire series on DVD and watched it all the way through twice! Love it!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Still enjoying Twin Peaks, though yeah, there's a definite dip in quality as Season 2 gets underway. A lot of stuff seems to be happening now that's just weird for the sake of weird, unlike the first season where the weird stuff still had pertinence to the plot and moved the story along. But this is a longer season, so maybe the payoffs were set up to come further down the line.

Also started The West Wing for the first time via Amazon Prime, and I'm loving that so far.

I think part of the reason in the dip in quality in season 2 is that is when Lynch was busy working on a film and wasn't as hands on with the show. But the last 4 or 5 episodes of the season are great.

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    dubbat138 said:

Still enjoying Twin Peaks, though yeah, there's a definite dip in quality as Season 2 gets underway. A lot of stuff seems to be happening now that's just weird for the sake of weird, unlike the first season where the weird stuff still had pertinence to the plot and moved the story along. But this is a longer season, so maybe the payoffs were set up to come further down the line.

Also started The West Wing for the first time via Amazon Prime, and I'm loving that so far.

I think part of the reason in the dip in quality in season 2 is that is when Lynch was busy working on a film and wasn't as hands on with the show. But the last 4 or 5 episodes of the season are great.

That's correct. He was off working on "Wild At Heart", and by the time he was able to come back, the damage was already done. I was curious, so I looked up the credits of some of the writers and directors during that stretch, and most of them worked on TV shows with nothing in common with Twin Peaks. Just generic writers and directors for hire.

The only one of those episodes that tries, sometimes successfully, to do what Lynch did is the one directed by Diane Keaton.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

dubbat138 said:

That's correct. He was off working on "Wild At Heart", and by the time he was able to come back, the damage was already done. I was curious, so I looked up the credits of some of the writers and directors during that stretch, and most of them worked on TV shows with nothing in common with Twin Peaks. Just generic writers and directors for hire.

The only one of those episodes that tries, sometimes successfully, to do what Lynch did is the one directed by Diane Keaton.

I was thinking it was either "Wild at Heart" or "Lost Highway". But Lost Highway came out way after the show was over. Want to say it was his next film after Fire walk with me bombed so badly.
  • Options
    On disc 2 of "Sons of Anarchy season 4". Watched this when it aired last year on FX. But every year before the new season starts I go back and rewatch the previous season.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I am so hooked on Sons of Anarchy right now. I went through the first season in just a few days and have just a few more episodes of the second season to watch. I’m actually watching this on both my Blu-Ray Netflix streaming and my iPhone. It’s like The Sopranos on wheels with more likeable and sympathetic characters. I’m really enjoying it.
    chrisw said:

We also finished up our Twin Peaks marathon - well, except for the film, which isn't available streaming, but we have a copy that we plan on watching soon. The second season held up a little better towards the end than I expected. It actually improved enough to make me regret that it didn't come back for a third season. I'd love to see it come back as a mini-series on HBO or Showtime just to wrap things up (which would be more appropriate than it sounds, since it's strongly indicated that something important happens to Agent Cooper twenty five years later, and we're coming up on that anniversary).

chrisw, I loved Twin Peaks and it’s one of my fondest wishes that David Lynch would try to revive the series and shop it to either HBO or Showtime. I loved that show and was quite disappointed when it got cancelled. It was a show I believe came on before its time but it would make the perfect cable show now. I believe all of the main cast, with the exception of Jack ‘Pete Martell’ Nance, are still living and have aged well enough where they can set the series some years after the original run. Just thinking about it made me add it to my Netflix Instant Queue just a minute ago.

I think what mainly hurt TB was the Who Killed Laura Palmer mystery went on too long and that White Room crap was just a bit too much. Considering the first season was less than 10 episodes, Lynch should’ve left us with a kick-ass cliffhanger and wrap it up by the second episode in season 2. As intriguing as the mystery was, the town overall including the quirky characters and the other stories going on is what I loved about the series.
  • Options
    Dman said:

I am so hooked on Sons of Anarchy right now. I went through the first season in just a few days and have just a few more episodes of the second season to watch. I’m actually watching this on both my Blu-Ray Netflix streaming and my iPhone. It’s like The Sopranos on wheels with more likeable and sympathetic characters. I’m really enjoying it.

chrisw said:

We also finished up our Twin Peaks marathon - well, except for the film, which isn't available streaming, but we have a copy that we plan on watching soon. The second season held up a little better towards the end than I expected. It actually improved enough to make me regret that it didn't come back for a third season. I'd love to see it come back as a mini-series on HBO or Showtime just to wrap things up (which would be more appropriate than it sounds, since it's strongly indicated that something important happens to Agent Cooper twenty five years later, and we're coming up on that anniversary).

chrisw, I loved Twin Peaks and it’s one of my fondest wishes that David Lynch would try to revive the series and shop it to either HBO or Showtime. I loved that show and was quite disappointed when it got cancelled. It was a show I believe came on before its time but it would make the perfect cable show now. I believe all of the main cast, with the exception of Jack ‘Pete Martell’ Nance, are still living and have aged well enough where they can set the series some years after the original run. Just thinking about it made me add it to my Netflix Instant Queue just a minute ago.

I think what mainly hurt TB was the Who Killed Laura Palmer mystery went on too long and that White Room crap was just a bit too much. Considering the first season was less than 10 episodes, Lynch should’ve left us with a kick-ass cliffhanger and wrap it up by the second episode in season 2. As intriguing as the mystery was, the town overall including the quirky characters and the other stories going on is what I loved about the series.
    I have been hooked on SOA since the first episode aired. Every year when the new dvd season set comes out I marathon it before the next season starts. I like how it is basically Hamlet on motorcycles.

See I liked the White Room stuff of Twin Peaks,but I am also a huge Lynch fan and believe he has only did one bad thing,which is Dune. Have you read either of the Twin Peaks books? The secret diary of Laura Palmer or the Agent Cooper book,they both help fill in some gaps. And the Cooper book gives a lot of backstory to Cooper and BOB.
  • Options
    I think the big issue with Twin Peaks was that Mark Frost and David Lynch had two competing ideas for where they wanted the show to go. The first season, it led to brilliance, but by the second season, it had pretty much spun out of control. I LOVED the Lynchian stuff like the White Room, and the Log Lady....still wondering why that show didn't get some sort of series of novels or something because the two books they did put out were insanely successful.
  • Options

I think the big issue with Twin Peaks was that Mark Frost and David Lynch had two competing ideas for where they wanted the show to go. The first season, it led to brilliance, but by the second season, it had pretty much spun out of control. I LOVED the Lynchian stuff like the White Room, and the Log Lady....still wondering why that show didn't get some sort of series of novels or something because the two books they did put out were insanely successful.

Weirdly I got both of the books out of the Walden's clearance bin right before the film came out.
  • Options
    Finished up season 4 of Sons of Anarchy,then started watching that new 3 Stooges film last night when I laid down for bed. Saw about 10 minutes before I fell asleep. Currently watching season 1 of "Roseanne".
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Dman said:

chrisw said:

As I understand it, Lynch's plan was to not resolve the murder plot until the final episode, but the network made them reveal it during sweeps week in an attempt to boost ratings. I think the biggest problem is the lack of a follow-up plot to hold interest once that happened. For several weeks, the show just flounders with no direction. When we get James Hurley's road trip and Ben Horne thinking he's a civil war general for several weeks, the show just goes off the rails.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Dman said:

chrisw said:

As I understand it, Lynch's plan was to not resolve the murder plot until the final episode, but the network made them reveal it during sweeps week in an attempt to boost ratings. I think the biggest problem is the lack of a follow-up plot to hold interest once that happened. For several weeks, the show just flounders with no direction. When we get James Hurley's road trip and Ben Horne thinking he's a civil war general for several weeks, the show just goes off the rails.

I have heard the same thing about Lynch's plan. And really the show wasn't about who killed Laura. It was more about how behind the scenes most small towns are very corrupt. He used the same premise in Blue Velvet.
  • Options
    kevinvolo said:

Being Elmo
    Warehouse 13
    Exit through the gift shop

Anybody else find Warehouse 13 almost unwatchable about midway through season 2?
  • Options

kevinvolo said:

Being Elmo
    Warehouse 13
    Exit through the gift shop

Anybody else find Warehouse 13 almost unwatchable about midway through season 2?
    I don't know what happened,but the writing has went down.

Just got Season 1 of 'Til Death for $1 at Dollar Tree. Only ever watched 2 or 3 episodes but for a buck I figured I would take a chance.
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned it in the thread yet, but I just finished Breaking Bad season 1. This could go down as one of my all time favorite shows.
  • Options
    Breaking Bad is the best show on TV right now. Gets better each season - you are in for a great ride!
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I’ve finished the third season of Sons of Anarchy last night. God, I love this show. The fourth season’s not available on Netflix right now but I’ll, ahem, find a way to catch up. I think this is the fastest I’ve ever caught up on a show on Netflix and mind you, I’m doing this while concurrently re-watching Twin Peaks. This is the first time I’ve seen most of Twin Peaks since it was first broadcasted on ABC back in the 90s and I’m falling in love with it all over again. Talk about a show that holds up.
  • Options
    I've started Buffy all over again - I love that show. Full Metal Alchemist and Pitch Black and my 'background noise' is usually Mythbusters. I don't get the DVDs; I just do the streaming. There is enough on the streaming end that I couldn't possibly watch everything I want in the next hundred years.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited September 2012
    (we got no netflix over here...but:) over the last couple days I devoured season 3 + 4 of BREAKING BAD - If all TV would be as great as this I'd never leave the house....thanks to the 98% of crap on the tube I still breathe fresh air.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I've had Homeland on my dvr for months. Finally watched the first four episodes. Really good show, well written and it's got some great performances especially by Claire Danes.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited September 2012
    I just finished the first season of Mad Men. And I think I'm finished with Mad Men.

It's not a bad series, but much too soapy and generally low-key for me. I found myself being far more interested in the background of the advertising world, and in the 'making of' segments than I was in the series itself. I've certainly seen much worse, but it's just not for me.
  • Options
    Well it took about one week to get through season 2 of Breaking Bad, I'm not sure how I feel about the ending though, the last ten minutes seemed a little too out of the blue.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Watched part of The Shield Season 7 Wednesday before Isaac knocked out the power. Still love the hell out of this show. Best cop show so far.

The Shield has one of the best, if not the best series finale ever.

I've been finishing up MI-5. It is fantastic. Also started watching a movie called Clay Pigeons which is cracking me up.

• Options
    kevinvolo said:

dubbat138 said:

Watched part of The Shield Season 7 Wednesday before Isaac knocked out the power. Still love the hell out of this show. Best cop show so far.

The Shield has one of the best, if not the best series finale ever.

I've been finishing up MI-5. It is fantastic. Also started watching a movie called Clay Pigeons which is cracking me up.

I would put the series finale in my top 5. It tied up enough story lines to work,but left enough stuff open ended so they can come back in a few years if they wanted too.

• Options
    I'm now re-watching Life On Mars (the US version). I loved the show when it first aired. I recently watched the original BBC version and enjoyed that too, though, as nearly identical as they were, definitely took off in different directions to different conclusions. I'm watching the US version again just to refresh my memory and compare it to the BBC's. Harvey Keitel's performance is especially terrific.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Not Netflix, but I discovered that 10 of the 12 Cinematic Titanic releases are available on Hulu and started watching the first one, The Oozing Skull, last night. Post-MST3K movie riffing efforts always left me feeling uneasy, but so far, it's pretty funny. Plus, you get Frank and Mary Jo in the theater as regulars rather that just as a guest spot, so that's kinda neat. And I like J. Elvis Weinstein better as himself that as Tom Servo (having come to MST a few seasons in, Kevin Murphy was always my Servo). Plus, more visual gags since you see the silhouettes of their whole bodies.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited October 2012
    Started watching Breaking Bad with my wife this past Saturday. We left off on episode five, but she stayed up and got half way through season two and I had to ground her from watching anymore so that I can catch up because she's already spoiled stuff for me.

I stand corrected, just got a text from her saying that she finished season two. [-(
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @Greg Your post cracked me up =))
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    @John_Steed, That's what I was going for.

She does this all the time. We'll start watching a series together, next thing I know, she's a full season or two ahead of me and when it comes to the good shows she just can't contain the spoilers. Don't get me wrong, it's cute to see her get all giddy over some big happening in a show, but I'd like to experience some of that with her once in awhile. I can't tell you how many shows I've given up on.
  • Options
    Hard to decide between American Horror story season 1,Walking Dead season 2 or Batman the Dark Knight Returns part 1.