Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

The wife and I started Twin Peaks for the first time and are loving it so far (5 or 6 eps in). We can see why it inspired such a devoted following, as well as why it struggled so much to stay on the air. It's... quirky.

I'm curious to see what you think of later episodes. Or if you even get that far.

Things get pretty rough around season two, but I think it picks up enough at the end that it's worth sticking around.

My fiancee and I still haven't gotten around to watching Fire Walk With Me. She seems to have rapidly lost interest after seeing the last episode.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited August 2012
    I know lots of people blame NBC, and maybe they could have handled the show better, but I also tried so many times without success to turn people on to it at the time. It seemed like people either loved it completely, or couldn't care less.
    Or were watching something else they liked better. What was the competition?

I remember a co-worker being horrified that I wasn't watching Friends when it originally aired. And I use that word, horrified, deliberately: he could not imagine that anyone would not watch it. I asked him when it was on; when he told me, I understood immediately why I'd never bothered. It was aired in the same timeslot as Babylon 5 in this area, and there was no way I was ever going to miss that show. (I've since seen a lot of Friends in syndicated reruns and don't feel that I really missed a lot.)
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    chrisw said:

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

ctowner1 said:

I finished up Freaks and Geeks last weekend. Part of it may be nostalgia, as I was the same age as Sam and his friends in 1980, but I thought the show was great! I give it 5 stars. Martin Starr was hilarious as Bill Haverchuck.

I watched this for the first time when it was on IFC last year - highly recommend. Also, if you like this, I'd recommend Undeclared, by the same creators - only ran a single short season, but some great stuff in that season.

e
    L nny
    So far I am the only person I know of that watched Freaks and Geeks when it was originally airing on NBC. It seems everyone else I have met that has seen it saw it when Fox Family or IFC was rerunning it. Or saw it on DVD.

I watched it as well. Great series..
    It is my favorite series ever. When it looked like it was gonna be canceled. I joined up with Operation Haverchuck. Which ended up being a great idea,cause most people that joined that group got the yearbook DVD edition signed by two cast members. Mine has Seth Rogan and Martin Starr's autographs on it.
    I can't remember if I joined that or not, but I know I signed a petition to keep it on the air. For many years when I googled my name it was one of the first things that would turn up.

I know lots of people blame NBC, and maybe they could have handled the show better, but I also tried so many times without success to turn people on to it at the time. It seemed like people either loved it completely, or couldn't care less.
    Operation Haverchuck was a group that raised money to put an ad in Variety. Trying to show NBC that the show did have a fan base.If you donated a certain amount when Shout Factory put out the Yearbook DVD Edition you got first chance at them. Plus like I said 2 random members of the cast had signed them. You do know why NBC finally pulled it right. The episode that showed Lindsey trying pot for the first time was the last one to air on NBC on Monday nights. They got about 10 or so calls complaining about it. So that combined with the low ratings caused NBC to pull it. It was replaced with the short lived ,2 episodes actually aired,gameshow 21. Then once the TV emmys were announced and F&G got lots of nominations,NBC tried to bring the show back. But by then most of the cast had gotten other jobs. So I want to say it was late May or early June ,they aired 3 of the 6 unaired episodes one night.Including the final episode. It wasn't until Fox Family picked it up that all 17 episodes finally got aired. But they were slightly censored. IE anytime the word ass was said it got bleeped out.

• Options
    chrisw said:

The wife and I started Twin Peaks for the first time and are loving it so far (5 or 6 eps in). We can see why it inspired such a devoted following, as well as why it struggled so much to stay on the air. It's... quirky.

I'm curious to see what you think of later episodes. Or if you even get that far.

Things get pretty rough around season two, but I think it picks up enough at the end that it's worth sticking around.

My fiancee and I still haven't gotten around to watching Fire Walk With Me. She seems to have rapidly lost interest after seeing the last episode.

Give Fire Walk with Me a chance. It is better than most of the second season. And is weird in that it is a prequel and sequel to the series.
  • Options

I remember a co-worker being horrified that I wasn't watching Friends when it originally aired. And I use that word, horrified, deliberately: he could not imagine that anyone would not watch it. I asked him when it was on; when he told me, I understood immediately why I'd never bothered. It was aired in the same timeslot as Babylon 5 in this area, and there was no way I was ever going to miss that show. (I've since seen a lot of Friends in syndicated reruns and don't feel that I really missed a lot.)

Well when F&G started it aired at 7 or 8pm central on Saturday nights. Then it got moved to 7 or 8 pm central Monday nights. No idea what shows it was up against.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

chrisw said:

Give Fire Walk with Me a chance. It is better than most of the second season. And is weird in that it is a prequel and sequel to the series.
    I'm actually eager to see it, but she didn't like the ending of season two, and as a result her interest dropped off. She went from wanting to watch it every night to getting a pained look on her face when I mention watching the movie.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Well when F&G started it aired at 7 or 8pm central on Saturday nights. Then it got moved to 7 or 8 pm central Monday nights. No idea what shows it was up against.

According to Wikipedia, on Saturdays it was up against ABC's movie of the week, Early Edition on CBS, and back to back episodes of COPS on Fox. That doesn't seem like stiff competition to me.

The competition on Mondays would have been tougher. Depending on what time it aired, it could have been up against Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Ally McBeal, etc.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

dubbat138 said:

chrisw said:

I'm actually eager to see it, but she didn't like the ending of season two, and as a result her interest dropped off. She went from wanting to watch it every night to getting a pained look on her face when I mention watching the movie.
    Season 2 starts off bad. Then comes back with the last 8 or so episodes. But the film is more like the first season.

• Options
    NickNick Posts: 284

My wife and watched the first episode/movie. She hated it, I thought it was slow moving and drawn out for sure, but I'm thinking it probably gets it's footing once it gets down to one hour episodes. Should I keep going? I was waiting for all the crazy stuff to start that I always hear people talking about. Maybe this weekend I'll try the second episode...
  • Options
    Nick said:

My wife and watched the first episode/movie. She hated it, I thought it was slow moving and drawn out for sure, but I'm thinking it probably gets it's footing once it gets down to one hour episodes. Should I keep going? I was waiting for all the crazy stuff to start that I always hear people talking about. Maybe this weekend I'll try the second episode...
    You at least need to get to the end of episode three. If you don't want to continue watching after that, then you'll probably never like it. But everyone should experience the end of episode three at least once.
  • Options
    Nick said:

It all depends on what version of the first episode/pilot you saw. For years the original cut of the pilot wasn't available legally. The version you could buy had been recut to make it into a movie for other countries. And has a badly tacked on ending. Give the show at least 2 or 3 episodes. By then you should be able to tell if it is a show you will enjoy.

• Options
    chrisw said:

dubbat138 said:

According to Wikipedia, on Saturdays it was up against ABC's movie of the week, Early Edition on CBS, and back to back episodes of COPS on Fox. That doesn't seem like stiff competition to me.

The competition on Mondays would have been tougher. Depending on what time it aired, it could have been up against Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Ally McBeal, etc.

Ah. That explains why I never saw it. I watched COPS, and when I couldn't get COPS I defaulted to Early Edition.
  • Options

chrisw said:

dubbat138 said:

Ah. That explains why I never saw it. I watched COPS, and when I couldn't get COPS I defaulted to Early Edition.

Yeah ,see it was moved from Saturdays to Mondays hoping the ratings would improve. The show did great with critics and had huge buzz before it hit the air. And so far everyone I have met that has seen it loves it.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    chrisw said:

I rewatched the entire series when the Gold Box series DVD collection came out. I had last watched it when it originally came out (and in some of the IFC reruns in the mid-90s), and my wife had never seen it. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. Admittedly, the first season eps are best, but there's plenty of good stuff in the 2nd season as well (including David Duchovney in drag!).

e
    L nny
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Watching the film noir episode of Venture Bros season 4 and wow this is great. Why hasn't there been a Venture Bros comic? I know it started out as a idea for a comic. That ended up getting changed into a tv show.
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

chrisw said:

I rewatched the entire series when the Gold Box series DVD collection came out. I had last watched it when it originally came out (and in some of the IFC reruns in the mid-90s), and my wife had never seen it. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. Admittedly, the first season eps are best, but there's plenty of good stuff in the 2nd season as well (including David Duchovney in drag!).

e
    L nny
    The Gold Box set is the first time you could get the original cut of the pilot episode. Before that the only ways to see it was

1.Catch it when Bravo was airing reruns
    2.Find someone that had recorded it when it originally aired
    3.Import a very expensive and possibly bootleg dvd from Korea.

Gotta agree about David Duchovney in drag being great. When X-files first hit the airwaves I thought "Wow it's the guy from Red Shoe Diaries and Agent Denise/Dennis Bryson from Twin Peaks." In an interview David Lynch has said that Twin Peaks,Lost Highway and Mulholland DR all happen in the same universe. Mulhollad DR started out as a spin off show for Audrey.

• Options
    steelsteel Posts: 4
    I'm watching "White Collar", but I don't know how good it is if you don't think the protagonist is dreamy.
  • Options
    Last night, I watched Going Berserk, probably the closest we'll ever get to an SCTV movie, as it stars John Candy, Joe Flaherty, and Eugene Levy around the time they were still doing that show.

It's not bad, worth checking out if you're a fan. It's another one of those movies I saw as a kid and only recently discovered what it was called. I was kind of surprised by how much I remembered from it.
  • Options
    Watching Grounded for Life season 2. Loved this show so much when it was originally on the air. And now it is great that you can get season sets on dvd for $5.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    chrisw said:

Nick said:

You at least need to get to the end of episode three. If you don't want to continue watching after that, then you'll probably never like it. But everyone should experience the end of episode three at least once.
    Alright, I will at least give it the next few episodes. I do like all the different characters though, really makes you wonder who did it. Not like Scooby Doo where there are only two new characters in each episode.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Nick said:

chrisw said:

Nick said:

Alright, I will at least give it the next few episodes. I do like all the different characters though, really makes you wonder who did it. Not like Scooby Doo where there are only two new characters in each episode.

Twin Peaks is IMHO the most subversive tv show to ever air on broadcast TV in the USA. The final episode of season 1 is so well done. Lots of great cliffhangers.
  • Options
    Been marathoning "Archie's Weird Mysteries" cartoon the past couple of days. Nice mixture of Archie and X-files.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I watched the Stan Lee documentary and liked it. I didn't LOVE it, but I liked it. Some of the older footage pretty amazing, as I didn't know Stan did much TV before the 80's...and Marvel was pretty damn good about letting us know everything that Stan was up to in the 70's.

At 75 minutes,. it was pretty superficial, so I'm glad that I saw it on Netflix rather than buying the DVD.
  • Options
    Finally got around to watching Birdemic, one of those films people say is the "worst film ever made". Usually these things don't live up to the hype, but in fact, this is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Even worse than The Room, though I think The Room is more entertaining because it doesn't drag as badly. Birdemic spends literally half the film showing the leads dating and getting to know each other before we even get to the bird attacks. Ever wanted to watch people make awkward, badly scripted small talk for forty-five minutes? Then Birdemic is for you.

At one point, the film even spends several minutes showing the lead male get in his car, start his car, drive down several streets, turn at intersections, pull into a gas station, park at a gas station, swipe his debit card, pump his gas, get back in his car, pull out of a gas station, look for a parking spot at work, exit his car, enter his office... all to show one brief sequence of him on a phone and talking to his co-worker, before leaving for the day, getting back in his car, and doing the drive all over again. The killer birds couldn't come soon enough.
  • Options
    I'm watching the first season of Mad Men, and have just finished watching the first disc thus far. So far, I find myself wondering what all the hype was about; it feels like a pretty flat soap to me. The stuff about the advertising world is interesting, but it loses me everytime the action steps outside of the office.

Still, I've only seen three episodes so far...
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Finally got around to watching Birdemic, one of those films people say is the "worst film ever made". Usually these things don't live up to the hype, but in fact, this is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Even worse than The Room, though I think The Room is more entertaining because it doesn't drag as badly. Birdemic spends literally half the film showing the leads dating and getting to know each other before we even get to the bird attacks. Ever wanted to watch people make awkward, badly scripted small talk for forty-five minutes? Then Birdemic is for you.

At one point, the film even spends several minutes showing the lead male get in his car, start his car, drive down several streets, turn at intersections, pull into a gas station, park at a gas station, swipe his debit card, pump his gas, get back in his car, pull out of a gas station, look for a parking spot at work, exit his car, enter his office... all to show one brief sequence of him on a phone and talking to his co-worker, before leaving for the day, getting back in his car, and doing the drive all over again. The killer birds couldn't come soon enough.

I love bad movies but that one I only made it through it be watching it while listening to the cast commentary.
  • Options
    Being Elmo
    Warehouse 13
    Exit through the gift shop
  • Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    I'm thinking about dusting off the first season of Breaking Bad again and seeing if I can attempt to enjoy it. So far, I apparently suck at life since I didn't like it before.
  • Options
    Watched part of The Shield Season 7 Wednesday before Isaac knocked out the power. Still love the hell out of this show. Best cop show so far.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Still enjoying Twin Peaks, though yeah, there's a definite dip in quality as Season 2 gets underway. A lot of stuff seems to be happening now that's just weird for the sake of weird, unlike the first season where the weird stuff still had pertinence to the plot and moved the story along. But this is a longer season, so maybe the payoffs were set up to come further down the line.

Also started The West Wing for the first time via Amazon Prime, and I'm loving that so far.