Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited August 2012

Eureka was a great show that constantly reinvented itself. Sad to see it go, but it was fun while it lasted.

I haven't been watching any shows on Netflix recently. Got into a the Hulu show Battleground for a bit. Now that I'm done with that, I'll be checking out my Netflix queue soon...

I finished watching the third season of Eureka a couple of weeks ago, and I'm currently watching the third season of Sliders. I saw the first three seasons years ago, but time conflicts prevented me from seeing the last seasons, so I'm watching the entire series, first to last.

@Gonzogoose, @Chuck_Melville:
    Did the season 2 get better than season 1? I am just having the hardest time trying to watch the first season. Its so formulaic.
  • Options

@Gonzogoose, @Chuck_Melville:
    Did the season 2 get better than season 1? I am just having the hardest time trying to watch the first season. Its so formulaic.

I think season 1 they were really trying to find their footing, which I believe they did by season 2. Each season got better as they went along. Season 3 really shined for me. Season 4 had ups and downs, but overall was a nice change of pace as it once again reinvented itself. And Season 5 was a nice way to end things.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited August 2012
    Watched Batman Year One and Batman Under the Red hood animated films today. Both are good. But Year One is now my favorite Batman movie so far. Perfectly captures the feel and look of the comic.

Also watched about half of the 2000's Night of the Living Dead 3d remake. The version I have is 2d. And what I saw they have kept the basic premise of the original but changed enough stuff to make it somewhat interesting.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

I finished up Freaks and Geeks last weekend. Part of it may be nostalgia, as I was the same age as Sam and his friends in 1980, but I thought the show was great! I give it 5 stars. Martin Starr was hilarious as Bill Haverchuck.

That is my favorite show ever. Sucks that NBC cancelled it cause they got in a few calls complaining about one episode.
    Agreed. Now that I have watched it, I want more! Oh well.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

I finished up Freaks and Geeks last weekend. Part of it may be nostalgia, as I was the same age as Sam and his friends in 1980, but I thought the show was great! I give it 5 stars. Martin Starr was hilarious as Bill Haverchuck.

That is my favorite show ever. Sucks that NBC cancelled it cause they got in a few calls complaining about one episode.
    Check out Undeclared. Same creative team. It also only lasted one season.

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    My fiancee wanted to watch a trashy movie last night, so after showing her some choices, she went with "The Thing With Two Heads", a film in which Ray Milland, as a racist doctor, finds his head surgically attached to the body of football player turned actor Rosey Grier. It sounds like it should be crazier than it is, but unfortunately the filmmakers decided to devote thirty minutes (literally, thirty minutes) to the two-headed creation eluding the police while riding a dirt bike. I guess dirt bikes were really big in the early '70s?
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

I will. Thanks for the info.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

I will. Thanks for the info.
    Not a problem. I heard that some of the ideas from Undeclared where ideas they had for Freaks and Geeks if it had lasted longer enough for the main cast to graduate high school.

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited August 2012
    From my own DVD collection, I'm running through a summer-long marathon of the entire run of Smallville. Currently finishing up Season 4.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    And, thanks to a recent birthday gift of an iTunes card, I've got a season's pass to the new season of Alphas. I watched the first season last year via iTunes (I don't get cable) and thought it was an interesting turn on the superhero/mutant type stories, with characters being born with an extra ability at the expense of some other physical or mental characteristic. In some ways, better than Heroes had been.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Nothing to read here. :-S Sorry; cleaning up some mispostings on my part. (Wish there was a 'delete' feature in the edit box.)
  • Options
    I Drink your Blood

This film from 1970 was a staple of grindhouses and drive ins for years. Semi based on the infamous Manson "Family",a group of Satanist terrorize a small town. They end up beating up a young girl. Her grandfather comes to confront them,but the Satanist end up dosing him with LSD. The brother of the girl injects rabies into some meat and serves it to the Satanist.

This was one of the very first films to get a X rating for violence. The studio quickly sent word to all the theaters showing the film ,to have their projectionists cut the film to make it R rated. So for years you never knew what version of the film you would see.Then finally in 2000 Grindhouse Releasing put out the original X rated version on DVD.

If you are a fan of 70's cult cinema this is a film you really should see at least once. The DVD is loaded with all kinds of great extras.
  • Options
    Been marathoning Venture Bros seasons 2,3 and 4. I have no idea why I stopped watching this show after season 2. But season 3 was great. And so far Season 4 is shaping up to be as good as season 3.
  • Options
    Last weekend, started watching the Vincent Price/Roger Corman Edgar Allan Poe films. Watched House of Usher and Pit and the Pendulum. Yet more American International films that I probably saw countless times as a kid, but haven't seen in years. They hold up really well. I know Corman is thought of as a schlock director, but these are strong films, and they do a good job of making a feature length film out of what were usually fairly short stories. I think most, maybe all, of them are available for streaming, so this may be my new late night weekend Netflix thing for a while. In my research, I learned they also did a Lovecraft adaptation together, The Haunted Palace, that I don't think I've ever seen. Sadly, not available for streaming, so I'll have to hunt for it.

I'm also nearly done with the first series of Black Adder, which hasn't held up as well as I'd hoped.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    chrisw said:

Last weekend, started watching the Vincent Price/Roger Corman Edgar Allan Poe films. Watched House of Usher and Pit and the Pendulum. Yet more American International films that I probably saw countless times as a kid, but haven't seen in years. They hold up really well. I know Corman is thought of as a schlock director, but these are strong films, and they do a good job of making a feature length film out of what were usually fairly short stories. I think most, maybe all, of them are available for streaming, so this may be my new late night weekend Netflix thing for a while. In my research, I learned they also did a Lovecraft adaptation together, The Haunted Palace, that I don't think I've ever seen. Sadly, not available for streaming, so I'll have to hunt for it.

I'm also nearly done with the first series of Black Adder, which hasn't held up as well as I'd hoped.

Those Corman Poe films are great. As far as Black Adder,I saw it for the first time last year. The first season was ok,but it really improved with the second season. I got lucky and found the complete set at the library for $3.

Earlier this year I found a dvd set that has "Tales of Terror","The Pit and the Pendulum" and "The Raven". Best thing is it was only $5 and came in a box along with a fold out timeline of Mr Price's life.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Those Corman Poe films are great. As far as Black Adder,I saw it for the first time last year. The first season was ok,but it really improved with the second season. I got lucky and found the complete set at the library for $3.

Earlier this year I found a dvd set that has "Tales of Terror","The Pit and the Pendulum" and "The Raven". Best thing is it was only $5 and came in a box along with a fold out timeline of Mr Price's life.

I recall the second series being better. I haven't seen the show in over twenty years, but it's the second series I remember more than the others.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

dubbat138 said:

I recall the second series being better. I haven't seen the show in over twenty years, but it's the second series I remember more than the others.
    It is weird ,either my local PBS never aired it or I just missed it when they were airing it. Cause it wasn't until 92 and I was in Army BCT that I learned about the show.

• Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited August 2012

I watched this for the first time when it was on IFC last year - highly recommend. Also, if you like this, I'd recommend Undeclared, by the same creators - only ran a single short season, but some great stuff in that season.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    If you're a fan of Fringe, I recommend Charlie Jade. It's a South African SF/PI type show focussing on parallel worlds that only ran for 20 eps (I think it ends in a closure kind of way, I'm not sure b/c I've only seen 8 eps so far).

e
    L nny
  • Options

I finished watching the third season of Eureka a couple of weeks ago, and I'm currently watching the third season of Sliders. I saw the first three seasons years ago, but time conflicts prevented me from seeing the last seasons, so I'm watching the entire series, first to last.

Don't get your hopes up! The early seasons of Sliders are much better than the later ones! That show is one of my top "damn! they messed up a pretty decent show!" show (Andromeda is my #1 of those shows).

e
    L nny
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    BattleStar Galactica!!!!! Were going again!
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

I watched this for the first time when it was on IFC last year - highly recommend. Also, if you like this, I'd recommend Undeclared, by the same creators - only ran a single short season, but some great stuff in that season.

e
    L nny
    So far I am the only person I know of that watched Freaks and Geeks when it was originally airing on NBC. It seems everyone else I have met that has seen it saw it when Fox Family or IFC was rerunning it. Or saw it on DVD.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny
    So far I am the only person I know of that watched Freaks and Geeks when it was originally airing on NBC. It seems everyone else I have met that has seen it saw it when Fox Family or IFC was rerunning it. Or saw it on DVD.

You're not the only one. I watched every episode as it aired on NBC.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

I watched it as well. Great series..
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

It is my favorite series ever. When it looked like it was gonna be canceled. I joined up with Operation Haverchuck. Which ended up being a great idea,cause most people that joined that group got the yearbook DVD edition signed by two cast members. Mine has Seth Rogan and Martin Starr's autographs on it.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The wife and I started Twin Peaks for the first time and are loving it so far (5 or 6 eps in). We can see why it inspired such a devoted following, as well as why it struggled so much to stay on the air. It's... quirky.
  • Options
    I've got Batman: Year One next up on my queue.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Just finished Transformers Prime season one and Beast Wars, been watching with my son. Beast sucks as much now as it did when it originally aired. Prime is very good.
  • Options

Eureka was a great show that constantly reinvented itself. Sad to see it go, but it was fun while it lasted.

I haven't been watching any shows on Netflix recently. Got into a the Hulu show Battleground for a bit. Now that I'm done with that, I'll be checking out my Netflix queue soon...

I loved Battleground, I work on political campaigns for a living and found it to be the most realistic depiction I have seen in media.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

It is my favorite series ever. When it looked like it was gonna be canceled. I joined up with Operation Haverchuck. Which ended up being a great idea,cause most people that joined that group got the yearbook DVD edition signed by two cast members. Mine has Seth Rogan and Martin Starr's autographs on it.
    I can't remember if I joined that or not, but I know I signed a petition to keep it on the air. For many years when I googled my name it was one of the first things that would turn up.

I know lots of people blame NBC, and maybe they could have handled the show better, but I also tried so many times without success to turn people on to it at the time. It seemed like people either loved it completely, or couldn't care less.