Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

CGS - stories, moments and anecdotes

It felt like old home week recently, so I figured a new discussion thread was in order to let that other thread fade into oblivion. A new thread to discuss those moments/stories/trivia/etc revolving around the podcast as a way to introduce newer listeners to CGS' long bountiful history. Also, to drop some ka-nowledge to better understand the hosts, the listeners, etc. Or - if anyone has any relevant questions about the hosts or past episodes, drop them here!

For example:
- Golden Eagle is the comic shop where most of the hosts first met - some as far back as twenty years ago! Episodes 100, 200 and 300 were held at the comic shop in Reading, Pa. The store's owner, Lem, unfortunately passed away before seeing those celebrations turn the full blown Super Show. Lem was super supportive of the podcast, its listeners and still has a place on the studio wall thanks to a piece of art created for the first Super Show by Mike Norton, Steve Bryant and Jun Bob Kim with coloring by Hi-Fi.

- CGS' battlecry - Freking Sweer! - was coined by a young listener Danny Brunnell in an email on Episode 41. That led to the Freking Sweer awards celebrating the listeners - the first of which was handed out to Danny at the live recording for Episode 100. Freking Sweer was turned into a comic strip by Matt Parkinson from Australia and later spearheaded by Marty Devine with submissions from other listeners as well! You can find them here: http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/frekingsweer.php?sweerid=1

- Other CGS/listener connections include: the CGS tagline of Uniting the World's Mightiest Heroes, One Listener at a Time which was created for a contest by Chris Whittington; the CGS mascot - CGS Guy - was designed by another Australian Loopy Dave; the CGS symbol was developed by Joe Janzz; the CGS title logo was developed by Nate Hook. All the various Puppets of the hosts was created by Charlito of Indie Spinner Rack; The original opening music was actually the theme music for the short lived Crusaders webseries. The composer was Q.

- Comicbookdb.com was created by Chris Seifert after Bryan mentioned on the show the need for an IMdb type website for comics. Other things that have spread here and there on the net in comic circles thanks to CGS and/or its listeners: giving Sal Abbinanti the loving title of Uncle Sal, the birth of the saying Everything Comics Back to 2000AD, naming the Mayo Report, directly or indirectly inspiring the birth of podcasts such as Raging Bullets, Popcult Online, Birds of Geek, Around Comics, Geek Syndicate, Kryptographik, the Amazing Spider-Cast, the Uncanny X-Cast, Born in the 8ts, Half Hour Wasted, Comic Timing, Geeks Unite, Alternate Reality and others.

- Why do the guys bring listener Tom Martinek onto the show every now and then to discuss movies? Because as a listener from the early days, Tom offered CGS it's first interview way back in Ep.15 with Star Wars Revelations Fan Film Director Shane Felux. Tom, who works for ILM, was also the first listener to be on an extended episode for Ep.26. Along with putting CGS easter eggs into major movies (Iron Man, Transformers), Tom used to do a segment called Comic Movie News, created an intro for the segment and has offered up prizes for Super Show. So when you hear his voice on the show in the future - now you know why!

Feel free to add!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Peter,

You, Bryan, and others have those great avatars depicting you as superheroes. Who is the artist and is there an interesting story behind them?
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    That would be Rob "Seraphyn" Jackson - and they were eventually dubbed Seravatars. He created them as a way to develop a sense of community on one of the older forums. Listeners got 'em, most of the CGS hosts got 'em. Eventually, his backlog was growing faster than he could create them so he had to start charging a small donation for them. Which didn't stop people from getting them. A google image search of "Seravatars" brought up a few examples!

And here's Rob's site: http://sera-sketch.blogspot.com
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited October 2012
    I remember the early days of forum rank - henchman, sidekick, etc. - based on your number of posts, and how everyone was curious to see what rank they'd get once they hit 1000 posts (which turned out to be the coveted Excelsior). Can't remember who the first to hit Excelsior was... I wanna say it was @i_am_scifi but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    I wasn't the first, but I do remember being an Excelsior. I miss that first forum, with the rotating weekly comic covers. Good times.

I'll never forget when I made the initial decision to attend CGS 100. At the time, I'd never even been to a comic convention before, and I certainly hadn't met any forum people in person. Still, when Bruce Rosenberger put the offer out to ferry folks from the NJT to Golden Eagle, I eventually came to the decision to do it. Bruce gave a lift to me and David Price, who will always be "The Man of 1,000 Podcasts" to me.

The event was a great success, where I was fortunate to not only meet and begin friendships with folks like Bryan, Jamie, Matt, Kevin, Peter and Shane in the flesh, along with Just Bill, Sean Whelan, Vince B, Marty, and a bunch others. If not for Bruce's initial offer, I don't know if I would be as involved in the community as I am today.

Thanks, guys!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I remember the early days of forum rank - henchman, sidekick, etc. - based on your number of posts, and how everyone was curious to see what rank they'd get once they hit 1000 posts (which turned out to be the coveted Excelsior). Can't remember who the first to hit Excelsior was... I wanna say it was @i_am_scifi but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure it was JustBill.
  • Options
    @i_am_scifi - I loved the rotating covers. Was that the yellow forum?

@WetRats - It very well could be. He'd be one of my next guesses, anyway.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    I remember way back when you guys attempted to create your own superhero comic, Second Chance. I always thought that had a lot of potential. I'm assuming it just petered out.
  • Options
    There was also the Comics Now magazine.
  • Options
    Kiwi - After the "creation" of Second Chance in Episode 50 part 2, there were a few more eps expanding on the character, her villain, etc. The initial idea for Episode 50 was to see if the very act of a creative process could be interesting to listen to - or to just see it in practice. Mike Norton was brought in - since he has obvious experience in the creative process from working in comics. Jun Bob Kim also did an episode to expand the character. It's Jun Bob's design of Second Chance that graces one of the rotating homepage images where she's taking out CGS Guy: http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/index.php?artwork=19

Here's an easter egg: for Super Show 2011, I was in talks with cosplayer Ana Aesthetic to bring Second Chance to life. Unfortunately time got the better of both of us and it didn't come to pass.

Bill - yea, the yellow dots forum had the rotating covers. Hmmm... now that I think about, perhaps the first non-yellow dot forum had them as well for a bit? Other forum shennanigans: hand puppets (which David D still uses); CGS Land; the Civil War banners; and the various "Ask" threads.

Lucky - yup - created with Ape Entertainment, one of the first publishers to really embrace the CGS podcast back in 2006, and the first publisher to give CGS an ad in their comics, Comics NOW! was CGS' answer to Wizard. Meant to be in-depth, about current comics and the history of comics, Comics NOW! lasted three published issues, while the fourth issue was being worked on. I also remember seeing the cover to issues 4 and even 5.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Doing this from memory so please forgive mistakes and omissions:

Standing: Ken Haeser, Todd Wanish, Andrew Charipar, guy in glasses that I think once worked at Golden Eagle, Brad Miylo with his hand up, Lin Workman in the red and black shirt, Buz Hasson, Frank Rincon in the Skipper hat, Marty in the Cpt. A hat, Vince B looking all skulky next to him and standing next to a Heat sign - how appropriate, in front of Vince is Ed Chambers, between Ed and Frank - standing in the blue shirt and the guy kneeling in front of him in the lighter blue shirt - are the Scroggins brothers, guy standing in front of the Heat sign I can't remember, Rob Taylor next to him, Jeff in the light blue shirt, father and son John and James Hardin with Lance Kizer above and in the middle of them with the beard. Out of the rest that are standing, this is where I get in trouble for starting this because I should remember their names and I'm blanking! The guy in the Eagles jersey even drove me to a Wild Pig show once. Ugh! I suck! I know a few more though: the guy standing in front of the guy in the Eagles Jersey is Joe Sergi. And slightly next to him in the Spider-Man shirt is Chris Gallo. I believe the guy between them both is the Yanni? Two up from Chris Gallo in the white tee is Rich Ginter.

Out of the kneeling crew, in the black shirt behind Toby is James Harris.

The seated on the curb crew: Kevin Volo, Morry Hollowell, Rob Jackson, Toby, Jennifer and Mario, Bryan with Clara, my ugly mug and Kyle behind me.

Whew - that's too much brain activity on a Sunday morning. I'll do the other ones later. Any help on this one would be much appreciated!
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    One thing from the early days I really liked was Brad and Franks "Comic Wednesday" song. Brad was kind enough to send me a copy of it and it still on my iPod. I still miss hearing on the show, along with the "We are sexy bitches" intro.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited October 2012
    Not sure if it's just a figment of my imagination but I seem to remember that there was once a short MANGA/ANIME segment on the show, done by someone other than the core CGS crew (?)

The other thing I seem to remember: back than there was that jar where the guys (mostly @Peter) had to put a quarter in when mispronouncing an name (mostly Perez).

Am I wrong?

What I DO remember is that CGS lifted my spirit at many a dark moment (got diagnosed with malign brain tumor end of 2003 - and I started listening to the show since the low 2-digit numbers in 2004 ?)

Agree with @Webhead; "We are sexy bitches" is legendary.
  • Options

Not sure if it's just a figment of my imagination but I seem to remember that there was once a short MANGA/ANIME segment on the show, done by someone other than the core CGS crew (?)

"Five Minutes of Manga" was done my none other than Charlito of Indie Spinner Rack! I also used to do "The Anime Report."
  • Options
    Who was the listener who lost his collection in Katrina and the community rallied to help rebuild it?
  • Options
    Two great running segments involving Mario:

First was the long-running series of attempts to call Mario. When finally contacted, he proceeded to propose to Jen on the show.

Second was his weekly debrief on his "Beauty and the Geek" experience, making it the only "reality" show I ever voluntarily watched.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    WetRats said:

Two great running segments involving Mario:

First was the long-running series of attempts to call Mario. When finally contacted, he proceeded to propose to Jen on the show.

Second was his weekly debrief on his "Beauty and the Geek" experience, making it the only "reality" show I ever voluntarily watched.

Stick close to your radio my friend we may be hearing from him sooner then later! Cryptic enough for you
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The CGS show also spawned a fun "Secret Santa" sketch exchange. I can't and don't take credit for creating it (that honor belongs to Richard "BlueMeanie" McAuliffe (who co-hosts the 2000AD podcast with Flint Lockjaw)), but I *do* run it every year. It's a great way to show your artistic skills (or lack thereof) and get/unload a bunch of books you no longer want.
  • Options
    I seem to recall a contest that asked the listeners to script a Crusaders audio drama.
    I'm pretty positive someone won that, but I don't think it was ever recorded.

Heh.

BTW: My favorite episode is and will always be the Animal Man BotM episode.
  • Options
    When I attempted to attend the very first "Super Show" my transport vehicle was carjacked and I was l left on an abandoned loading dock in my graffiti covered iron lung in a torrential down pour. It will always be one of my fondest post iron lung confinement memories. I do not get out much any more.
  • Options
    On one of the anniversary shows, some caller was able to get through and had about 10 minutes of roast material. I liked that guy.

And I still think the best episode was the whole "Civil War Will Be Late" episode. DAMN good stuff.

Now, about Jack Cubby....
  • Options

And I still think the best episode was the whole "Civil War Will Be Late" episode. DAMN good stuff.

I concur. That was a real high water mark.
  • Options
    I might have to go back and start listening to old shows. Earlier this year I got to episode 50 but I might have to start again.
  • Options
    Peter said:

Lucky - yup - created with Ape Entertainment, one of the first publishers to really embrace the CGS podcast back in 2006, and the first publisher to give CGS an ad in their comics, Comics NOW! was CGS' answer to Wizard. Meant to be in-depth, about current comics and the history of comics, Comics NOW! lasted three published issues, while the fourth issue was being worked on. I also remember seeing the cover to issues 4 and even 5.

Didn't you and Brian also briefly do an Ape only comics podcast?
  • Options
    The Puppet Rios arrives on the scene at CGS 200:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH9iIEdNQyg
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    edited October 2012
    Peter said:

I also remember seeing the cover to issues 4 and even 5.

I've seen the Marvel Knights 10th Anniversary cover Buzz did for issue 4, but I don't think I ever heard there was a cover for issue 5 before now. Who did it the cover and what was on it?
  • Options
    I'm glad Peter remembered the Ask threads. Those were fun, and I'm pretty sure they pre-date Reddit AMAs! We're so ahead of our times. B-)

One of my favorite recurring bits in those was that Amy would always get in with the first or second question, and it was always "Do you take your tea with milk?"
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The first Drunk Cap call -- I'm not sure if I've ever laughed harder than that.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    The hardest I laughed was when Uncle Sal told his bathroom story ....you know...the one with the dog?