Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

CGS - stories, moments and anecdotes

1235»

Comments

• Options
    WetRats said:

"A whole separate team of producers responsible for the spin-off"?

Norman Lear will appear and slap you for that!

Just listened to an interview with Jimmy Walker, who said Lear walked away from Good Times after five episodes.

Not trying to dispute your entire point, just throwing this into the mix.
    Didn't really have one, actually. Just trying to inspire a spirited discussion. :)

I walked away from Good Times after I watched The Beastmaster. J.J.'s daddy in a leather thong....
  • Options
    David_D said:

David_D said:

Pants said:

Peter said:

Yea - I guess the number IS nearing 1500. Pants! What's the count to date?

Episode 1241: Spotlight on GI Joe was actually our 1500th episode taking all spin offs, non numbered shows, etc into account.

Right now I believe episode 1293 is show number 1556.
    Why include spin-offs? I understand the non-numbered shows being included, but are not the spin-offs their own things? Would you count Maude and The Jeffersons in the All In The Family episode count?
    I know it is a funny question, but to take it seriously for a second- I would say the difference there is that the CGS spin-offs are produced out of the same studio, and by the same group of people (albeit, in the case of the spin-offs, by different individuals taking the lead).

In the TV examples you mentioned, a character or group of characters may have first appeared on one thing and then spun off to something else, but there would be a whole separate team of producers responsible for the spin-off. . . and they didn't have to share a set or equipment with the original. To put it another way-- no one ever had to stop shooting Happy Days because the microphones were needed for Mork and Mindy ;) And it is not like they are counting the episodes of podcasters who first appeared on CGS before starting their own shows in their overall count. That would be more in line with the TV spin-off examples you mentioned.

Again, I know it is a tongue-in-cheek question, but I think the overall count is the real count.
    "A whole separate team of producers responsible for the spin-off"?

Norman Lear will appear and slap you for that! Garry Marshall will have you tied to a chair to listen to his sister Penny's voice for three hours straight! You will suffer, David D. You WILL know fear.....

How do you know that Mork and Fonzie didn't have to share mics? Do you know how cheap network guys can be?

I will remove my tongue from my cheek for a moment and ask a serious question...

How would you categorize the Gerry Anderson shows with the previously discussed parameters? They were all produced by the same guy(s), shot in the facilities, etc. Does each series (Thunderbirds, Fireball XL5, etc.) together in an episode count?
    Sure some shows and spin offs can share some of the same top execs, just like Dick Wolf can have his name at the top of, at one point, four or more shows that could shoot on the same day. And that is a management accomplishment, of course. But he wasn't there rolling up his sleeves making them on the production day. That is what I mean by production team- the people that are actually there on the production day. That involves producers and technicians dedicated just to that one show on that day, well below the level of a Wolf, Lear, or Marshall.

As for the Gerry Anderson shows- I really don't know anything about those (other than they are beloved, and I love the surreal idea of puppet adventure shows, I wish we had them). But at the end of the day, if the same guys shot 1 Thunderbirds and 1 of something else in a day, then they made two things that day. Two things added to their resume total of things made. For all it matters, I think the overall CGS episode count works the same way. A total count of things this group of people have made.

Boy, we can turn anything into math, can't we? ;)

Damn you and your math! I was told there would be no math in this discussion...

Serious note: The Gerry Anderson shows had some of the best miniatures on film at that time (and even for that budget or higher). Real craftsmanship went into those. I would recommend a view or two, if only for that reason.
  • Options
    Peter said:

Yup - David got it. Eps that weren't ever counted: rebroadcasts of other podcasts, episodes created for CGS but not featuring any of the hosts, etc. If it has a CGS Presents in front of it, it was most likely counted.

okayokayokay....I believe you.... :)>-
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited November 2012

Didn't really have one, actually. Just trying to inspire a spirited discussion. :)

Anytime old Norman Lear shows get brought up an angel gets their wings. Or something like that. ;)

Another CGS fun fact: The Wild Pig crew were regulars at Pittsburgh Comicon which is where CGS first met them along with Danielle Corsetto. That's also where CGS met Shawn Pryor, the Gabborins, Dave Dwonch I think, Mario M and so many others. Mario introduced us to Primanti Bros sandwiches! Pittsburgh was an important show for growing CGS. The first booth was across from Ape Entertainment who gave CGS it's first ad in a comic which was in an issue of HorrorWood with art by Brent Schoonover. And who can forget Spano Mano walking around in his pjs.
  • Options
    Peter said:

Anytime old Norman Lear shows get brought up an angel gets their wings. Or something like that. ;)
    *a thick NY accent*

"Get me! I'm givin' out wings!"
  • Options
    I still scream "52!" Anytime the number comes up...
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Pants hysteria when in fear someone might spoil a Doctor Who episode from years ago =))
  • Options
    One of my fondest memories (for some unknown crazy reason!) is Raph Soohoo trying to get everyone to buy "Bushi Tales" at (I believe) the first Super Show. Hilarious!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Last year's hurricane episode is probably one of my favorite moments. Just having all those guys back together for such a long episode was awesome.