Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

CGS - stories, moments and anecdotes

Comments

• Options
    Pants said:

Peter said:

I even think the Wizard World 06 show was where I first met Pants who was an attendee. Pants?

Nope. We first met, that I can recall, in Bryan's kitchen before the convoy headed up to the first NY Comicon in February of 2006.
    Wow, was that over 6 years ago? It seems like it was yesterday when Frank Miller was bitching and throwing Sharpees at me and Vince.

Memories.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Pants said:

Peter said:

I even think the Wizard World 06 show was where I first met Pants who was an attendee. Pants?

Nope. We first met, that I can recall, in Bryan's kitchen before the convoy headed up to the first NY Comicon in February of 2006.

I asked you if you preferred to be called Pete or Peter and you said "Peter". Even though Matt does it all time, because of our first meeting I don't think I've ever called you "Pete".
    I was told to call him your holiness and never turn my back to him as I exited a room.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Pants said:

Peter said:

I asked you if you preferred to be called Pete or Peter and you said "Peter". Even though Matt does it all time, because of our first meeting I don't think I've ever called you "Pete".
    I knew he hates "Petey" because that's the name of the dog from the Little Rascals.

I like nicknames (useless they're used a lot by others.) that's why I use "Pete", "B", "Los Pants", "Shaner", & "Adam (verses Murd)"

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Pants said:

Peter said:

I knew he hates "Petey" because that's the name of the dog from the Little Rascals.

I like nicknames (useless they're used a lot by others.) that's why I use "Pete", "B", "Los Pants", "Shaner", & "Adam (verses Murd)"

M
    Adam Versus Murd....sounds like one of those mirror universes. The evil one has no sideburns...:)
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Matt said:

Pants said:

Peter said:

M
    Adam Versus Murd....sounds like one of those mirror universes. The evil one has no sideburns...:)

The Mirror Universe Murd is all into the newest tech and hates all things from the 70s. And his backlog of comics is 10 comics total. Plus he works at a Halloween Barn.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    From some people, I don't mind "Pete". But yea - "Petey" don't fly. Just like, don't spell Deemer's name with an i (Bryan, not Brian), don't spell Jamie as Jaime, Adam used to not like "Murd" and Shane went by Shane Kelly in the early days. Also, don't call Moon Knight Batman, don't mention Matt's last name and hide your art around Pants.
  • Options
    Peter said:

From some people, I don't mind "Pete". But yea - "Petey" don't fly. Just like, don't spell Deemer's name with an i (Bryan, not Brian), don't spell Jamie as Jaime, Adam used to not like "Murd" and Shane went by Shane Kelly in the early days. Also, don't call Moon Knight Batman, don't mention Matt's last name and hide your art around Pants.

Which one is not supposed to get wet and/or be fed after midnight?
  • Options
    That would be Matt's dog. :P
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Peter said:

That reminds me of a funny bit of forum confusion, ages ago-- when the new Blue Beetle was announced, and someone hoped for him to get hit by a bus and killed in some other thread (as some fans do when faced with change) and Jamie thought that someone on the forum was not only calling for his death, but also spelling his name wrong when doing so!
  • Options
    I think I listened to my first episode a week before episode 200 and decided the Thursday before Ep. 200 to get up at 5 am and drive 3.5 hrs from Albany to attend...spent the day hanging out at Golden Eagle and then went to the Works Bar and hung out there until 9 or 10 pm and then headed back to Albany...got lost due to construct ( pre GPS days for me) and ended up getting back home around 3:30 am ... Almost falling asleep driving home ( not the smartest thing I have done). Still had an awesome time and got my first pieces of art work: a Green Arrow and a Tim Drake Robin from Mike Norton.

Being new to the Albany area I didn't have any comic geek friends in the area but met a guy TheYanni who also listened to the podcast and lived 20 min away...since then we have been going to Supershows and Wild Pig sales since ... Hanging out and talking comics and geek stuff I between
  • Options
    Peter said:

So..which one hates sunlight?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Peter said:

That would be Peter; he sleeps through the majority of the cons from being up late the night before!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Peter said:

That would be Peter; he sleeps through the majority of the cons from being up late the night before!

M
    He could be a vampire. Does he avoid sunlight due to unwanted sparklage?
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The first Drunk Cap call -- I'm not sure if I've ever laughed harder than that.

The hardest I laughed was when Uncle Sal told his bathroom story ....you know...the one with the dog?

Good times! I miss 'em both!
  • Options

Some of us sparkle naturally. :p
  • Options
    I like Peter and Murd's presence on the show because we share the same taste in comics. I like Jamie D's passion. I like how i almost always disagree with what Deemer said but still find his opinions sensible. I share Shane's love of the Bwahaha era League. I enjoyed MAtt's skewed sense of humor. Pants? Pants should get a medal for keeping the podcast running. [And anyone whose favorite artist is Greg Larocque is awesome in my book]. I miss Kevin as well.
    Started listening in 2008, and since my commute is 90-minutes plus, i usually load up a couple of episodes to listen. Almost 15OO episodes, gentlemen, looking forward to more...
    in short, I salute you all, thank you.
    PS. Take care guys, be well.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Yea - I guess the number IS nearing 1500. Pants! What's the count to date?
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    Peter said:

Episode 1241: Spotlight on GI Joe was actually our 1500th episode taking all spin offs, non numbered shows, etc into account.

Right now I believe episode 1293 is show number 1556.
  • Options
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    to quote Winston Zeddemore....."Thats one big Twinkie
  • Options
    JamieD said:

to quote Winston Zeddemore....."Thats one big Twinkie

"Tell 'im about the Twinkie."

• Options
    Peter said:

Some of us sparkle naturally. :p
    That's called radiation. Check for disease, super powers, or both.

• Options
    Pants said:

Peter said:

Episode 1241: Spotlight on GI Joe was actually our 1500th episode taking all spin offs, non numbered shows, etc into account.

Why include spin-offs? I understand the non-numbered shows being included, but are not the spin-offs their own things? Would you count Maude and The Jeffersons in the All In The Family episode count?
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310

Pants said:

Peter said:

Why include spin-offs? I understand the non-numbered shows being included, but are not the spin-offs their own things? Would you count Maude and The Jeffersons in the All In The Family episode count?
    You would if you were Marvel.

Don't forget Archie Bunker's Place.

• Options
    Trev said:

Pants said:

Peter said:

You would if you were Marvel.

Don't forget Archie Bunker's Place.

I regard that as different. Five books with Spider-Man as the main character is still five books about Spider-Man. An Adventures Of J. Jonah Jameson or The Many Deaths Of Norman Osborne would be spin-offs centering on different lead characters.

Archie Bunker's Place is a re-title. Like when Green Lantern became Green Lantern/Green Arrow.
  • Options

Pants said:

Peter said:

I know it is a funny question, but to take it seriously for a second- I would say the difference there is that the CGS spin-offs are produced out of the same studio, and by the same group of people (albeit, in the case of the spin-offs, by different individuals taking the lead).

In the TV examples you mentioned, a character or group of characters may have first appeared on one thing and then spun off to something else, but there would be a whole separate team of producers responsible for the spin-off. . . and they didn't have to share a set or equipment with the original. To put it another way-- no one ever had to stop shooting Happy Days because the microphones were needed for Mork and Mindy ;) And it is not like they are counting the episodes of podcasters who first appeared on CGS before starting their own shows in their overall count. That would be more in line with the TV spin-off examples you mentioned.

Again, I know it is a tongue-in-cheek question, but I think the overall count is the real count.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Pants said:

Peter said:

I know it is a funny question, but to take it seriously for a second- I would say the difference there is that the CGS spin-offs are produced out of the same studio, and by the same group of people (albeit, in the case of the spin-offs, by different individuals taking the lead).

In the TV examples you mentioned, a character or group of characters may have first appeared on one thing and then spun off to something else, but there would be a whole separate team of producers responsible for the spin-off. . . and they didn't have to share a set or equipment with the original. To put it another way-- no one ever had to stop shooting Happy Days because the microphones were needed for Mork and Mindy ;) And it is not like they are counting the episodes of podcasters who first appeared on CGS before starting their own shows in their overall count. That would be more in line with the TV spin-off examples you mentioned.

Again, I know it is a tongue-in-cheek question, but I think the overall count is the real count.
    "A whole separate team of producers responsible for the spin-off"?

Norman Lear will appear and slap you for that! Garry Marshall will have you tied to a chair to listen to his sister Penny's voice for three hours straight! You will suffer, David D. You WILL know fear.....

How do you know that Mork and Fonzie didn't have to share mics? Do you know how cheap network guys can be?

I will remove my tongue from my cheek for a moment and ask a serious question...

How would you categorize the Gerry Anderson shows with the previously discussed parameters? They were all produced by the same guy(s), shot in the facilities, etc. Does each series (Thunderbirds, Fireball XL5, etc.) together in an episode count?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Norman Lear will appear and slap you for that!

Just listened to an interview with Jimmy Walker, who said Lear walked away from Good Times after five episodes.

Not trying to dispute your entire point, just throwing this into the mix.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

David_D said:

Pants said:

Peter said:

Norman Lear will appear and slap you for that! Garry Marshall will have you tied to a chair to listen to his sister Penny's voice for three hours straight! You will suffer, David D. You WILL know fear.....

How do you know that Mork and Fonzie didn't have to share mics? Do you know how cheap network guys can be?

I will remove my tongue from my cheek for a moment and ask a serious question...

How would you categorize the Gerry Anderson shows with the previously discussed parameters? They were all produced by the same guy(s), shot in the facilities, etc. Does each series (Thunderbirds, Fireball XL5, etc.) together in an episode count?
    Sure some shows and spin offs can share some of the same top execs, just like Dick Wolf can have his name at the top of, at one point, four or more shows that could shoot on the same day. And that is a management accomplishment, of course. But he wasn't there rolling up his sleeves making them on the production day. That is what I mean by production team- the people that are actually there on the production day. That involves producers and technicians dedicated just to that one show on that day, well below the level of a Wolf, Lear, or Marshall.

As for the Gerry Anderson shows- I really don't know anything about those (other than they are beloved, and I love the surreal idea of puppet adventure shows, I wish we had them). But at the end of the day, if the same guys shot 1 Thunderbirds and 1 of something else in a day, then they made two things that day. Two things added to their resume total of things made. For all it matters, I think the overall CGS episode count works the same way. A total count of things this group of people have made.

Boy, we can turn anything into math, can't we? ;)

• Options
    Yup - David got it. Eps that weren't ever counted: rebroadcasts of other podcasts, episodes created for CGS but not featuring any of the hosts, etc. If it has a CGS Presents in front of it, it was most likely counted.