Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

CGS - stories, moments and anecdotes

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I remember the second NYCC. CGS had a panel there. A Quiz show. I rememebr some of the questions. "What color was M'Onel's cape?"

My favorite moment was when they asked me "Where did DOnald Blake find the walkign stick that turned into Thor's Hammer?"

Me: "Ummm..... Nor.....way?"

Everyone laughed or clapped, as they saw I pulled that answer out of my ass.

Jamie D:" You must have pulled that out of somewhere."

I came in second place, but the experience was amazing. Still have my prizes, too.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    had this habit of not erasing my favorite episodes in my old iPod video. until it went the way of the dodo.

memories?

"what first got you into comics?"
    books of the month
    THE interviews! of which my favorite was the Gene Colan one.
    the live recorded ones too, since i've never been able to go to any of the milestone episodes or Super Show... Walt and Louise Simonson
    i miss the old CGS intro theme..
    "52!!" much as it annoyed me after a while, @Pants, your enthusiastic delivery of it has burned itself into my brain!
    Top 5s...
    was it the 'nuff said episode that was the alternate version of CGS headlined by @Matt? i dug that one...
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    I started listening regularly around ep 300. I had started at around comics and loved that community. By ep 300 the community here was so strong it took me a while to get comfortable with the flow but I've made some good friends through the show, had tons of laughs, and discovered a bunch of new books.

Of the geeks, I've only ever met Pants personally but always enjoy hanging out with everybody in San Diego and Post Preview Night at The Tilted Kilt.

Here's an anecdote that alwsys amuses me: somehow at a con as large as SDCC how I always seem to run into Pants randomly within 30 min of buying any piece of art. It's like he's got some radar like superpower for identifying art purchases.

52!!!!
  • Options
    I always loved the episode where they played Peter's trivia game.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    demonbear said:

had this habit of not erasing my favorite episodes in my old iPod video. until it went the way of the dodo.

memories?

"what first got you into comics?"
    books of the month
    THE interviews! of which my favorite was the Gene Colan one.
    the live recorded ones too, since i've never been able to go to any of the milestone episodes or Super Show... Walt and Louise Simonson
    i miss the old CGS intro theme..
    "52!!" much as it annoyed me after a while, @Pants, your enthusiastic delivery of it has burned itself into my brain!
    Top 5s...
    was it the 'nuff said episode that was the alternate version of CGS headlined by @Matt? i dug that one...

I think that was episode 666 with the alternate version.

I enjoyed playing Peter's trivia game, the Marvel trivia game (anyone recall Marvel Girl?!), Best of episodes (I had forgotten 1/2 the crap I said), & the Roadt of Deemer. The last one was neat to see what everyone brought to the roast. I still have a copy of Pete's Deemer interview on my iPod.

M

I love the Drunk Cap appearances, but I'm waiting for a "valium Wally West/Flash" to call in!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Bryan's Moth Attack story!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

I'm waiting for a "valium Wally West/Flash" to call in!

• Options

Peter said:

That was a hard compilation to make...I couldn't stop laughing...especially when Cap and Hugh started singing COMPLETELY different songs at the same time for "Jeremy".

When Drunk Cap started singing Luck Be a Lady Tonight to Silent Night is probably the closest I've ever come to pissing my pants listening to an episode.
    I don't think I have the kidney fortitude to give it a second listen.

• Options
    I didn't jump onto the CGS bandwagon until they began discussing Watchmen, leading up to the film. I thought I'd just catch those episodes and be done with it. Of course, that didn't happen. I've been listening regularly since then and have gone back and listened to many of the early episodes. But, despite all of the great moments already mentioned here, it's not the episodes that are the best part for me.

The best part of CGS has been the community. Early on (I believe it came about from a discussion of Rorschach), I mentioned in a post that I'd never read any of the early Ditko stuff that inspired Rorschach (the Question, obviously, but also his Mr. A). Out of the blue, I got a PM asking for my address, because someone (I've completely forgotten who it was now, and I feel badly about that) wanted to send me their extra copies of the original Mr. A comics Ditko self-published. Just because.

I've also gotten some great old books from @phansford - like Joe Kubert's Tarzan, Milt Caniff's Steve Canyon magazine from Kitchen Sink, and one of my (now) favorite Kirby runs - the Losers. And at the last supershow @ShaneKelly was kind enough to give me some of the early issue of JLI, which I had mentioned in a Footnotes thread I'd long since lost in one of my moves/purges/whatever.

and I've tried to give back, offering up older issues of books I won't be re-reading at any time in the far future, because that's how this community "rolls." It's something special, and I'm glad that we'll have Super Show in 2013, so that I can catch up with some of those I've met before and hopefully introduce myself to others I've only talked to on the boards.

chris
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Peter said:

ctowner1 said:

The Cerebus interviews with Dave Sim (I still can't believe he came on the show to do it - but I'm also so bummed he stopped before doing all of the books!) (plus, my 1st appearance on the show! :^).

I thank Charlito and Mr. Phil of Indie Spinner Rack for easing Dave Sim into the whole podcasting thang. Thankfully CGS had a connection with you Lenny to Sim - it didn't feel right just asking the ISR boys for his contact info. I didn't want to skim off their work. So Lenny was invaluable for helping connect us along with Margaret and Jeff. Plus we were able to do something different than just another interview. I actually take some pride in knowing that those eps and the original High Society BOMC ep turned some new readers onto the work. That's what made doing those eps with Dave so special: knowing that a whole new generation was listening in. That made it doubly hard to know that he wasn't going to continue. But that's Dave - he's a maverick! haha
    Thanks, Peter - but even more thanks to you/CGS for giving me the chance to be on a podcast with Dave Sim! I mean, "wow"!! Talk about being happy to "help"! lol

e
    L nny
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Shane vs video game controllers. ~X(
    Who is Marvel Girl? :-?
    Bryan making phony phone calls with Jamie D soundbites. :))
  • Options
    Marathon said:

Not CGS' finest hour, in my opinion.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Marathon said:

I hafta agree with you there @WetRats
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Anyone else remember when the geeks were "sexy bithches yeah"?
  • Options

Anyone else remember when the geeks were "sexy bithches yeah"?

Though I'm glad it's gone, I still expect to hear it every time I listen.
  • Options
    Ok, I'll be "that guy"...I miss the old music! :((
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Ok, I'll be "that guy"...I miss the old music! :((

me too :-<
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I'm miss the hookers & booze we brought in for recordings. Wait...that's right, we never talked about the in studio stuff on the show...I miss the semi-crappy equipment.

M
  • Options
    I absolutely miss the old music, I fast forward now, never did before. Also miss sexy bitches.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

I remember the second NYCC. CGS had a panel there. A Quiz show. I rememebr some of the questions. "What color was M'Onel's cape?"

My favorite moment was when they asked me "Where did DOnald Blake find the walkign stick that turned into Thor's Hammer?"

I came in second place, but the experience was amazing. Still have my prizes, too.

I remember that! I lost to you in the semi-final. I knew the answer to your question, but not mine!
  • Options

WetRats said:

Marathon said:

I hafta agree with you there @WetRats
    Yeah. That was awkward. Especially when they called the woman who wrote the "Hey, Supergirl" column and she started getting really freaked out. :-S
  • Options

I absolutely miss the old music, I fast forward now, never did before. Also miss sexy bitches.

I'm finally used to the new song, but no one will ever convince me that that one line is anything but "Going to La Bamba."
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65

I'm finally used to the new song, but no one will ever convince me that that one line is anything but "Going to La Bamba."
    Good. It's not just me then.
  • Options
    Heh, no you guys aren't alone. Despite having read the lyrics I still hear "La Bamba," among other things.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    ... and who can forget The Scarlet Rios X_X
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I remember that! I lost to you in the semi-final. I knew the answer to your question, but not mine!
    Ha. Think I remember you. Good times.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited October 2012
    Kiwi - very cool Second Chance art!

Episode 666 was a What If? Ep. What if Matt started CGS? It featured Matt and other comic friends from Golden Eagle and elsewhere. Scott had been on the show before. The rest were Dana - who played Chopsaki on Crusaders, Dave, and Jamie of Earth 2. They recorded as if they were the CGS from ep1 including Stump the Gallagher because Jamie is a trivia guy (btw. No relation there. Jamie claimed that name way before.)

The anniversary eps were great entry points for new listeners. Plus they were recorded to be big or special events - interviews or questions to the Geeks, etc. I know of some podcasters who don't want to make them big deals. I think they are missing out on opportunities for new listeners or for newer listeners to get to know the show/hosts. Gotta keep refreshing.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    CGS ran trivia panels at NYCC and especially Pittsburgh Comic Con as well as being the official 'cast for NYCC'06 and Pittsburgh 06-08. The convention tours were huge for building the podcast: traveling to new shows, meeting listeners that had been listening for years, etc. No other comic podcast was as aggressive in those early years in getting out there to say hello. I even think the Wizard World 06 show was where I first met Pants who was an attendee. Pants?
  • Options
    For the newbies and uninformed, I present Crusaders Ltd.:

A scan of my very own Crusaders Ltd. 8 x10 glossy, won at the Episode 100 recording.
    The DVD is laying around here someplace...
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    Peter said:

I even think the Wizard World 06 show was where I first met Pants who was an attendee. Pants?

Nope. We first met, that I can recall, in Bryan's kitchen before the convoy headed up to the first NY Comicon in February of 2006.

I asked you if you preferred to be called Pete or Peter and you said "Peter". Even though Matt does it all time, because of our first meeting I don't think I've ever called you "Pete".