Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

CGS - stories, moments and anecdotes

Comments

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The first Drunk Cap call -- I'm not sure if I've ever laughed harder than that.

I've got a spot spot for Drunk Cap myself.

Other warm, fuzzy memories form days gone by...

The Paul Pope interview, on his phone in the streets of NYC. He even gave money to some needy soul.

The Erik Larson interview. I was spotty listening to CGS until that episode.

Any episode Jamie gets choked up about something, I'm right there with ya big fella.

The cartoon episodes.

The movie audio commentary episodes. Flash... AH! AH!

Lastly the Episode 300 recording, when I got the surprise Freking Sweer.
    Little known fact, when I was dragged up on stage, I suddenly had uncontrollable flatulence.
    I tried to move around a lot and talk loud to drown it out.
    I've never been so surprised, elated and shamed all at the same time.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The Infinite Crisis and 52 coverage was another of my favorites.

I will always hear a joyful shout of "Fifty-Two!" every time I encounter the number.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited October 2012
    I always liked the cartoon theme episode a lot. You'd think listening to people listening to old theme songs wouldn't make for good podcasting, but it was a lot of fun. Especially once they moved on to movie stuff like Queen's Flash Gordon theme, which led to Peter shouting the immortal line "Sing it, Freddie Mercury, you dead gay bastard!" =))
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The first Drunk Cap call -- I'm not sure if I've ever laughed harder than that.

True dat. And iirc it came out of nowhere in the ep. I had tears in my eyes and was trying to drive.

• Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    I'll try to answer more when I get home. For those wondering, the cartoon theme episode is #20.

Pants created the 52 shout out (I think). It used to make Bryan sigh. Hilarious. I still say it out loud as well when I come across it.

While there's a Best of Drunk Cap compilation episode, his first appearance was near the end of ep.886.

Pants - issue 5 was to be a focus on black Super characters. Ape commissioned a cover that featured a slew of characters including the Blue Marvel. I think the main artist of that character drew the image but I can't remember his name.
  • Options

Not sure if it's just a figment of my imagination but I seem to remember that there was once a short MANGA/ANIME segment on the show, done by someone other than the core CGS crew (?)

The other thing I seem to remember: back than there was that jar where the guys (mostly @Peter) had to put a quarter in when mispronouncing an name (mostly Perez).

Am I wrong?

You are correct. As Ian mentioned, 5 Minutes of Mangaaaaaaa! was a segment by Charlito from Indie Spinner Rack. Since manga was something unfamiliar for the most part to the hosts, a contest was run to include a manga and anime segment. Charlito did the Manga one and Ian did the Anime one. I can't remember if they were both picked from the same contest or if it was just for a manga segment and it was decided to do both because their submissions were strong.

Quarters in the Jar - which also became the name of the CGS website letter column - was for exactly that: the mispronunciation of George PEAR-ez's name (Accent on the first E). I think other names would cause a quarter to drop as well - but they didn't stick.
    WetRats said:

Who was the listener who lost his collection in Katrina and the community rallied to help rebuild it?

That would be Leo McGovern. He wasn't a listener - it was a story I heard about and wondered if CGS could help out. It happened in Episode 62 - which is the Denny O'Neil interview episode. Sure enough some listeners helped to donate comics to restore some of his collection. His experiences were put into a graphic novel anthology on Katrina by Josh Neufeld. You can read about it at the link where he drops CGS' name for

Didn't you and Brian also briefly do an Ape only comics podcast?

Yup! From the Monkey House I think it was called. I also started the official Top Cow podcast for a bit.
  • Options
    For those that don't know, Puppet Rios was created because I couldn't attend the live Episode 200 festivities. I was performing in a show in Philly at the time and Charlito of Indie Spinner Rack, on the car ride to Reading, put the finishing touches on the Puppet. He became a secondary mascot, tried to win the 2008 Presidential election and, along with Puppet Deemer, spawned the other Puppet Hosts I think. I can't remember the musical Charlito put on during Super Show 2010 I think? There's a video of that as well.
  • Options
    MelvillesFistMelvillesFist Posts: 7
    edited October 2012
    - Anyone remember Jun Bob's crazy double-page spread in the Episode 300 program? My God...

- Speaking of, Chuck Saterlee had a sketch drawn of him having a heart attack from eating a cheesesteak sub on the Episode 300 jam piece. Man, that got everyone rolling.

- Caliban was a madman when he updated the CGS wiki back in the Stump the Rios days.

- "Tie Your Mother Down" playing as the Super Show begins ---> Lem tribute

- The Half Hour Wasted guys - Comic Wednesday and Brad calling out Joey Q. on YouTube

- Remember when Matthew Petz got the good news for War of the Woods and Zuda Comics? It was a good day.

- The JLA/Avengers cover episode with Peter and Murd

- The 52 meme courtesy of Pants that will at this point never escape my everyday, non-CGS life

- The CGS listeners ALWAYS represented at the Wild Pig shows.

- Joe Sergi's contributions for the legal episodes

- I'll never forget when Stan Lee started talking to Bry on the interview ep!
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

The CGS show also spawned a fun "Secret Santa" sketch exchange. I can't and don't take credit for creating it (that honor belongs to Richard "BlueMeanie" McAuliffe (who co-hosts the 2000AD podcast with Flint Lockjaw)), but I *do* run it every year. It's a great way to show your artistic skills (or lack thereof) and get/unload a bunch of books you no longer want.

Enjoy participating in this every year!

• Options

I always liked the cartoon theme episode a lot. You'd think listening to people listening to old theme songs wouldn't make for good podcasting, but it was a lot of fun. Especially once they moved on to movie stuff like Queen's Flash Gordon theme, which led to Peter shouting the immortal line "Sing it, Freddie Mercury, you dead gay bastard!" =))

The cartoon theme song episode is one of my all time favorites in it's own right but add Peter's quote and I just about died laughing.
  • Options
    I too still say 52! When I encounter the number in various forms.
  • Options

its nuts cuz I live near a major highway, which is 52! Everytime, I tell ya... every bleepin' time...

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

Torchsong said:

The CGS show also spawned a fun "Secret Santa" sketch exchange. I can't and don't take credit for creating it (that honor belongs to Richard "BlueMeanie" McAuliffe (who co-hosts the 2000AD podcast with Flint Lockjaw)), but I *do* run it every year. It's a great way to show your artistic skills (or lack thereof) and get/unload a bunch of books you no longer want.

Enjoy participating in this every year!

Me, too. The first year we did this, you know who I had to draw for? Buzz.

Let that sink in for a minute.

I had to draw. For. Fucking. Buzz.

I met him at the following year's New York Comic Con and introduced myself to him as "that guy who sent you the Miracleman drawing that even 5 year olds would laugh at." He got this big smile on his face and said "That was you? Aw, man, that was great! It's hanging on my wall and everything!" So I said "man, you must've had a hole that really needed covering," and he laughed.

But, yeah, my lack of artistic skill aside, this is something I look forward to participating in every year. And @torchsong does an awesome job pulling this together! Continued thanks for that, Al!
  • Options
    Peter said:

I'll try to answer more when I get home. For those wondering, the cartoon theme episode is #20.

Pants created the 52 shout out (I think). It used to make Bryan sigh. Hilarious. I still say it out loud as well when I come across it.

While there's a Best of Drunk Cap compilation episode, his first appearance was near the end of ep.886.

Pants - issue 5 was to be a focus on black Super characters. Ape commissioned a cover that featured a slew of characters including the Blue Marvel. I think the main artist of that character drew the image but I can't remember his name.

I was the guy who did a rough cut compilation for The Best Of Drunk Cap, by the way. I tried to leave enough room for whomever was going to do any editing to slide in music, comments, etc.

That was a hard compilation to make...I couldn't stop laughing...especially when Cap and Hugh started singing COMPLETELY different songs at the same time for "Jeremy".
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

Me too

The Lem tribute episode was another high moment in CGS history. I had the pleasure of meeting Lem at CGS 300. He seemed like a truly nice guy. I did not know him like the geeks did but I did understand why they did it and I was moved by it. I especially like the Queen story Bryan told and how he ended the show with the Queen song.
  • Options
    "We are sexy bitches. YEAH!"
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

- I'll never forget when Stan Lee started talking to Bry on the interview ep!

Stan's utter incomprehension of what a podcast was.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    :-< good old times
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

But, yeah, my lack of artistic skill aside, this is something I look forward to participating in every year. And @torchsong does an awesome job pulling this together! Continued thanks for that, Al!

I will say my long-distance Freckin Sweer award (now well protected on my shelf by my Alpha Flight statues) brought an ear-to-ear grin on my face. It's always fun to do and I'm always happy to do it.
  • Options
    MarioMario Posts: 9
  • Options

- Anyone remember Jun Bob's crazy double-page spread in the Episode 300 program? My God...

• Options

I was the guy who did a rough cut compilation for The Best Of Drunk Cap, by the way. I tried to leave enough room for whomever was going to do any editing to slide in music, comments, etc.

That was awesome to put it together. For those that didn't listen to that ep, there were 1 or 2 new Cap phone calls that hadn't aired before.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited October 2012
    my good CGS memories include...

Discovering the Podcast around episode 110 or so - V for Vendetta review, Infinite Crisis, plowing through the bulk of the original 100 eps at breakneck speed.

Peter turning me on to Indie Spinner Rack.

The BOTM episodes, particularly the Animal Man one, which Marty mentioned.

The Annual Secret Santa thread - always a source of pressure AND fun to round out my year and thin down my collection a little!

Winning a cool Alex Serra Batman pre-supershow sketch (which I still need to frame!) and a nice Dan Capitumini Titans sketch (that's still up on my son's wall).

Stan Lee, Gene Colan, Roy Thomas, Joe Kubert interviews.

The Cerebus interviews with Dave Sim (I still can't believe he came on the show to do it - but I'm also so bummed he stopped before doing all of the books!) (plus, my 1st appearance on the show! :^).

Meeting a bunch of the Geeks for the 1st time at NYCC

1st NYCC Podcast dinner at that crowded place in the west 50's.

The ride up to Supershow 1 with Jimmy, Fred Chao, and Charlito when I almost took out a tollbooth!

1st Supershow!!! (intro to Shady Maple and more Geeks and board members!) (and the best puppet show ever!)

CGS Fantasy Football

CGS Fantasy Baseball

Drunk Cap

2nd Supershow!! (drove up w/Joey A and Gene, and gave this guy from Germany a ride back to NYC - and was able to survive rooming w/Tony G (!) and Alan).

Stump the Rios!

1st Rock Comicon w/Kirby Krackle/H2Awesome (my 1st exposure to each) just blew me the frig away!

The Watchmen Episodes

The Lem tribute (never met the guy, but feel like I have - that was a heckuva a tribute - a shining moment in a dark time for the show).

3rd Supershow! (with Kirby Krackle/H2Awesome at 3rd & Spruce) - Reading Phillies game w/Kevin, Marty, and Tony

Episode 1000!

The NYCC Podcast dinners

Post-NYCC Limerick!

The Cap Retrospective episodes

The Batman & Superman Retrospective episodes

. . . and a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting for sure!!

e
    L nny

• Options
    edited October 2012
    ctowner1 said:

The Cerebus interviews with Dave Sim (I still can't believe he came on the show to do it - but I'm also so bummed he stopped before doing all of the books!) (plus, my 1st appearance on the show! :^).

I thank Charlito and Mr. Phil of Indie Spinner Rack for easing Dave Sim into the whole podcasting thang. Thankfully CGS had a connection with you Lenny to Sim - it didn't feel right just asking the ISR boys for his contact info. I didn't want to skim off their work. So Lenny was invaluable for helping connect us along with Margaret and Jeff. Plus we were able to do something different than just another interview. I actually take some pride in knowing that those eps and the original High Society BOMC ep turned some new readers onto the work. That's what made doing those eps with Dave so special: knowing that a whole new generation was listening in. That made it doubly hard to know that he wasn't going to continue. But that's Dave - he's a maverick! haha
  • Options
    Peter said:

That was awesome to put it together. For those that didn't listen to that ep, there were 1 or 2 new Cap phone calls that hadn't aired before.
    Thanks. It was a pleasure to contribute.
  • Options
    This is my favorite thread ever.

Does anyone happen to have my old Seravatar?
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited October 2012
    Peter said:

Kiwi - After the "creation" of Second Chance in Episode 50 part 2, there were a few more eps expanding on the character, her villain, etc. The initial idea for Episode 50 was to see if the very act of a creative process could be interesting to listen to - or to just see it in practice. Mike Norton was brought in - since he has obvious experience in the creative process from working in comics. Jun Bob Kim also did an episode to expand the character. It's Jun Bob's design of Second Chance that graces one of the rotating homepage images where she's taking out CGS Guy: http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/index.php?artwork=19

Photobucket

My Version of Mr Bobs design. Hope you like.

• Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Peter said:

ctowner1 said:

I thank Charlito and Mr. Phil of Indie Spinner Rack for easing Dave Sim into the whole podcasting thang. Thankfully CGS had a connection with you Lenny to Sim - it didn't feel right just asking the ISR boys for his contact info. I didn't want to skim off their work. So Lenny was invaluable for helping connect us along with Margaret and Jeff. Plus we were able to do something different than just another interview. I actually take some pride in knowing that those eps and the original High Society BOMC ep turned some new readers onto the work. That's what made doing those eps with Dave so special: knowing that a whole new generation was listening in. That made it doubly hard to know that he wasn't going to continue. But that's Dave - he's a maverick! haha
    That's the interview that first introduced me to CGS. I've been listening ever since!