Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

99¢/Discounted comiXology SALES!

Comments

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited March 2013
    I think I got all I wanted at about 250 issues (they've stopped downloading). I was thinking that I should just get them all, but I know I probably won't read half of what I got. Most of the stuff I skipped is all ancillary and tie in sort of stuff that I would never read anyway.

This was especially nice because I avoided all the Marvel Now! stuff and I get a slew of titles for FREE!

Finally got at link: http://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Free-First-Issues/comics-collection/1001

Get in on this ASAP cos apparently it's going away on Tuesday:
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'm getting some download errors.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Well done Marvel. What an amazing give away. I can finally give all those Marvel NOW titles ago. Great give away.
  • Options
    Really want to get some of these issues but Comixology seems to have completely crashed.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    seek out their twitter feed for updates - they're working on it
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Their site doesn't work on my computer but I've been able to access them through their mobile app. However I also keep getting download errors. When I look at my purchase tab, all my purchases are gone (but I can restore so it's not a problem. It just takes a few minutes). When I go to look at the issues, the button has switched from $0.99 to "READ" or "DOWNLOAD." So I have the books in my library, it's just up to me to DL them later. I hope this helps as a work around for some of you.

I also would think that Marvel will extend the offer due to overwhelming response, but it's Marvel so who knows?
  • Options
    Comixology's servers have been down/in-and-out/or lag heavy. However you want to describe it, on my iPad when I pressed a comic to download it did not download. I picked out about 250 books and queued them all for download (part of the problem I know) and about 6-7 got through after 8pm last night. That sucks.

I checked Comixology's twitter feed for the main site, and their support all night long and this morning, and they've been working all day yesterday and through the night to fix it, but whatever the case, their servers can't handle the traffic. I'm not a computer expert, but if whatever you have can't handle the INSANE amount of traffic 700 FREE issues brings, no software is going to fix it. You probably need more servers. GREAT IDEA, FAILED EXECUTION on Marvel and Comixology's part.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Didn't they expect such a overwhelming demand ? The word FREE usually is cause for some kind of stampede.

They should have stretched out this sale. 700+ is way too much to handle. And it pisses off longtime customers too.
  • Options
    Is anyone else having an issue with actually logging on to comixology? Everytime I try it gives me a failed message despite my user name and password being correct.
    And I can't reset on the website because it's down too.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Comixology's servers have been down/in-and-out/or lag heavy. However you want to describe it, on my iPad when I pressed a comic to download it did not download. I picked out about 250 books and queued them all for download (part of the problem I know) and about 6-7 got through after 8pm last night. That sucks.

Can you see if they are still listed as "FREE" or "DOWNLOAD"? If it says DL then you should own them and just have to DL them later. Otherwise you'll have to go back and "buy" them again.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    It's not official yet, but Bleeding Cool has this report about extending the sale:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/11/marvel-may-extend-free-comixology-deal/

And as I tried to explain earlier:
    from the BC article
    Scott Bierworth writes;

It’s easy to get all 700 free first issues even with the server issues. I got all of them in just a few hours. All you have to do is ignore the download error. The download error is actually a good thing since it lets you “own” the book without having to wait for it to download (and also stops you from running out of space). Queue up a bunch of titles. Wait until you get the download error on all of them (so they no longer display as “Purchasing” and instead if you look at them it will display either “Read” or “Download”. When it displays that, it means you successfully “own” it and can download it at a later time to read it. After finishing all of them, shut off your device (if using an app on a phone or tablet) to get the app out of memory and then start it back up and relaunch the app. Then go through the sale again and look at all the books and see any that you might have missed or that failed (will still say “Free” instead of “Download” and get them. Just a note that there are also other free issues such as Uncanny X-Men # 500, Thor # 600 and Wolverine # 300 if you look for them.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I've never owned a digital comic, but like many I thought this would be a good way to try out the medium. As of this post, I still don't own a digital comic. I was able to register with Comixology (around 4:00AM PST), but that's as far as I got. Despite clicking on the activate new account link that was sent to my email, I've yet to be able to log on. I hope they offer to extend this promo, otherwise it will leave a lot of people disgruntled.
  • Options
    A Message From The CEO
    Posted on March 11th, 2013 - 16:07 PM by David Steinberger
    To our customers:

It’s been a whirlwind weekend, and we’re fresh from SXSW where Marvel Comics launched their Marvel #1 promotion featuring over 700 free comics distributed via our platform.

We expected a high degree of excitement for the Marvel initiative – and had believed ourselves prepared – but unfortunately we became overwhelmed by the immense response. We’re still struggling to keep our systems up.

The result is that you aren’t getting your comics when and where you want.

We don’t like letting you down. Our teams are working around the clock to resolve these issues so that you can have the experience you’ve come to expect.

To that end, we’re pausing the Marvel Comics #1 promotion for the time being. For those of you that want to take advantage of the offer – you will get your comics! Until we are able to reinstate this program in our systems, please click here and fill out this simple form, so you can be informed as soon as there is an update.

We’ll be communicating with you as often as we can and deeply appreciate the outpouring of support we’ve seen from our customers while we right the ship.

David Steinberger
    CEO and co-founder
    comiXology
  • Options
    I was literally of the process of checking out when they updated their system. The checkout process failed and when it resumed, my cart showed a balance due.
    One minute earlier and I might of beat the cutoff. :(
  • Options
    Here's the link for you to get the email for this deal. Bummer for everyone that didn't get it. At least they're owning up to it and trying to rectify in a positive way. Relax fanboy, you'll get your free comics!
  • Options
    GiannaD11GiannaD11 Posts: 50
    Damn. I wanted those free comics. I really want some but don't have a account.
  • Options
    I got....ummm.....some free.....ohh...hold on.....this whole has me confused!! Let me see if I got this right?? Marvel released 700 free comics through comixology! Comixology crashes and they work through the night and through the day to reboot the server. Only to send out an email survey thing for you to get access to the free comics later? I can wait.....I'm a patient man, hopefully lessons were learned and when DC releases 701 free comics they will do it in a different more efficient way!
  • Options

I got....ummm.....some free.....ohh...hold on.....this whole has me confused!! Let me see if I got this right?? Marvel released 700 free comics through comixology! Comixology crashes and they work through the night and through the day to reboot the server. Only to send out an email survey thing for you to get access to the free comics later? I can wait.....I'm a patient man, hopefully lessons were learned and when DC releases 701 free comics they will do it in a different more efficient way!

I think the main reason the worked their tush off to reboot the server was to avoid any more lost revenue from people who were actually paying for comics. Though last I checked the site was still inaccessible. I suspect what will happen is that links to a secure temporary site will be rationed out over an extended period of time, that way Comixology can exert some semblance of control over how many people purchase the free stuff at any given time. Hopefully they'll upgrade their servers as well. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the sign up period will still expire at 11PM EST on 3/12/2013.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    I wasn't able to get all the ones I wanted and though it took all day long and a lot of reloading and restarting, I managed to snag 58 issues yesterday.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

I wasn't able to get all the ones I wanted and though it took all day long and a lot of reloading and restarting, I managed to snag 58 issues yesterday.

That's 58 more than me.

• Options
    photo comixology_zps6c7beda8.jpg

I was just checking if I could add some comics to the cart. It worked. It showed me two FREE comics are in the cart - but when I attempted to do the CHECKOUT I got informed that the price has changed from FREE to $2.99 I cancelled the order right away. But who knows how many folks got robbed during the last couple hours. What did the system charge behind the screen......

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'm thinking when they do this for DC. They'll likely do a few a day.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    As well as experiencing all the problems listed so far, I've found that some of the comics I got confirmation emails for aren't in My Comics when I go to the site now.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    After missing out on the free Marvel stuff (though I did submit my email), I downloaded some of the site's free non-Marvel content, just so I could familiarize myself with the interface (I confess the world of digital comics is virgin territory for me). Brack, like you I received email confirmations for comics that weren't available for me to view. Several hours later, they appeared. The site seems to be experiencing some lingering hiccups and synchronicity issues. I suspect things will get better now that the promotion has been postponed.
  • Options
    Whew! After comic-pocolypse this past week, this Friday's Marvel $0.99 Sale is X-Men's Second Coming and Messiah Complex series.
  • Options
    GiannaD11GiannaD11 Posts: 50
    I actually managed to get 2 comics.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Rocketeer 1/2 Off Sale. I'm not hip on the new stuff, but I've heard great things. I do have the hardcover of IDW's original Dave Stevens Rocketeer and that was most definitely worth the price of admission. You shouldn't pass it up for $3.99.

Road to Harbinger Wars $0.99 sale (this appears to be listed again, I'm sure because of last week's Marvel debacle)

There's also a special promotion for a book called "Hawken: Genesis." If you get issue #4 you will receive a special code in your email for 50% off of the graphic novel when it is released on 20 March. Issues 1-4 are all FREE so why not bite on this and then make the call on the GN when you get the code?
  • Options
    Mo X-Men for Marvel's Monday $0.99 Sale. Issues 500-544.