Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    This is the problem with too much coverage. People like bralinator take any little off hand comment or quip as some kind of THIS IS SET IN STONE AND WILL HAPPEN fact. The only aspects of these movies that are concrete or canon are what show up in the actual films themselves. If you really put that much stock in anything else, you're just trying to catch your own tail. Haha.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Can you quote where I said this or anything is set in stone @RepoMan? I'm just having fun.
  • Options
    The plot for FF is rumored to have leaked. If this isn't the work of The Onion, well, may God have mercy on our souls ...

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/fantastic-four-plot-details-leaked/2/
    Reed is a genius convenience store clerk with Ben. Reed’s parents don’t care about him, and Ben’s dad is abusive. They’re good friends and have each other’s backs. Reed writes a paper for community college on teleportation that attracts the attention of Dr. Franklin Storm, CEO of the Baxter Building research center.

Storm has a son, Johnny, and an adoptive daughter, Sue, whose father, Storm’s old partner, died in an experiment gone wrong. Johnny and Sue are party kids, and Sue is particularly disdainful of science. Reed and Sue don’t get along at first.

Victor Doomashev is a anti-social Eastern European computer programmer and hacktivist who calls himself “Doom”. He hates the 1%, particularly Storm, whom he claims corrupts science for profit.
    The plot to the whole movie can be found at the link. I would suggest you not go there though. It will just make you ill.

Suddenly, my Milton Von Doom idea doesn't seem so bad. Although the plot sounds more like "Clerks" than "Office Space."

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited November 2014
    News of the plot for FF has reached Marvel Studios. TMZ just posted this pic of some of the cast hearing the news ...

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

The plot for FF is rumored to have leaked. If this isn't the work of The Onion, well, may God have mercy on our souls ...

Reed is a genius convenience store clerk with Ben. Reed’s parents don’t care about him, and Ben’s dad is abusive. They’re good friends and have each other’s backs. Reed writes a paper for community college on teleportation that attracts the attention of Dr. Franklin Storm, CEO of the Baxter Building research center.

Storm has a son, Johnny, and an adoptive daughter, Sue, whose father, Storm’s old partner, died in an experiment gone wrong. Johnny and Sue are party kids, and Sue is particularly disdainful of science. Reed and Sue don’t get along at first.

Victor Doomashev is a anti-social Eastern European computer programmer and hacktivist who calls himself “Doom”. He hates the 1%, particularly Storm, whom he claims corrupts science for profit.
    The plot to the whole movie can be found at the link. I would suggest you not go there though. It will just make you ill.

Suddenly, my Milton Von Doom idea doesn't seem so bad. Although the plot sounds more like "Clerks" than "Office Space."

I think what I find most shocking is the "Reed & Sue don't get along at first." It implies they'll get along at some point...and that this interpretation might share something with the source material besides a couple character names.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    edited November 2014

News of the plot for FF has reached Marvel Studios. TMZ just posted this pic of some of the cast hearing the news ...

You know that, at least, this part is a gag. (As Avengers 2 wrapped filming months ago).

And this 'leak' is surely a prank. I'm not saying that Fox's FF movie will be good, or that some elements in this fake synopsis aren't based on things that are true about it. Personally, I have no dog in that fight (heck, I never even saw the last two or three or however many Fox FF movies there have been) and am generally not that interested in the FF as something to do a live action movie about. I don't think they have aged well as a concept, but that is a discussion for another time.

But the idea that Reed and Ben actually start out as the guys from Clerks? Come on, now. This is somebody seeing what they can get people online to believe for a hot minute.

Oh, and whoever made up this 'leaked' synopsis doesn't know the difference between "brunt" and "blunt". So I think that is another clue right there.
  • Options
    David_D said:

And this 'leak' is surely a prank.

Let's hope it is. Oh, and one more thing ...

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    At this point, I just want to see a trailer before I make judgements. I just don't know anymore about this movie so I need to see something more. I mean, what I've heard so far, it doesn't impress me so I want to wait and see what they do in the trailer. I mean, the trailer is the studio trying to sell us on the movie so lets see if they can do that.
  • Options
    David_D said:

You know that, at least, this part is a gag. (As Avengers 2 wrapped filming months ago).

And this 'leak' is surely a prank. I'm not saying that Fox's FF movie will be good, or that some elements in this fake synopsis aren't based on things that are true about it. Personally, I have no dog in that fight (heck, I never even saw the last two or three or however many Fox FF movies there have been) and am generally not that interested in the FF as something to do a live action movie about. I don't think they have aged well as a concept, but that is a discussion for another time.

But the idea that Reed and Ben actually start out as the guys from Clerks? Come on, now. This is somebody seeing what they can get people online to believe for a hot minute.

Oh, and whoever made up this 'leaked' synopsis doesn't know the difference between "brunt" and "blunt". So I think that is another clue right there.
    Plus, that photo is from Avengers. You can tell my their attire.

M
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

At this point, I just want to see a trailer before I make judgements. I just don't know anymore about this movie so I need to see something more. I mean, what I've heard so far, it doesn't impress me so I want to wait and see what they do in the trailer. I mean, the trailer is the studio trying to sell us on the movie so lets see if they can do that.

That is true and a good argument I've used for BvS:DoJ. In this case, however, the trailer doesn't matter to me. I'm just not interested in non-Marvel Studios Marvel movies (except for the X-Men movies at this point.)

M
  • Options
    Just to be clear, I totally made up the TMZ/Avengers thing. Tried googling "Kevin Feige Marvel laughing" and that one came up. :-)
  • Options

Just to be clear, I totally made up the TMZ/Avengers thing. Tried googling "Kevin Feige Marvel laughing" and that one came up. :-)

That's actually a relief-- I wanted to believe that even TMZ would not care about such nonsense.

(Though the joke totally works here.)
  • Options
    And next, @TheOriginalGMan‌ you've got to admit you also made up that plot summary ;)
  • Options
    David_D said:

And next, @TheOriginalGMan‌ you've got to admit you also made up that plot summary ;)

LOL! I wish I did!

• Options

David_D said:

LOL! I wish I did!

Well. Your spelling is much better than whoever did. So that is probably for the best.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    David_D said:

I don't know, it could very well be a prank, but that doesn't sound too far off from the movie that's been forming in my head with each new piece of information. I have this feeling that at least Reed and Ben are going to be, if not store clerks, average guys who luck into powers. And it smacks of that Hollywood mentality of tapping into a zeitgest of several years ago. If it turns out to be true, I'm guessing that the whole 1% thing was all over the news when this was in development.

If true, it means we're going to get another FF movie whose "epic" conclusion is a showdown with Doctor Doom. I think if Marvel were handling this, they'd save Doom for something big in the third film, not chew him up and spit him out in the first one.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    chrisw said:

David_D said:

I don't know, it could very well be a prank, but that doesn't sound too far off from the movie that's been forming in my head with each new piece of information. I have this feeling that at least Reed and Ben are going to be, if not store clerks, average guys who luck into powers. And it smacks of that Hollywood mentality of tapping into a zeitgest of several years ago. If it turns out to be true, I'm guessing that the whole 1% thing was all over the news when this was in development.

If true, it means we're going to get another FF movie whose "epic" conclusion is a showdown with Doctor Doom. I think if Marvel were handling this, they'd save Doom for something big in the third film, not chew him up and spit him out in the first one.
    Maybe. I guess we'll see.

This might be controversial to the FF fans. But I think, if Marvel *did* have the FF, they would be smart enough to not try to make it into a franchise of live action movies right now. I just don't think we are living in an FF kind of age.

I think that is one of the things that has made me doubt lots of the buzz about Marvel being so mad about what Fox is doing with the FF, or that Marvel wants the FF back, etc. I think a lot of comics fans want Marvel to have the FF back. But, real talk: the FF as a property has not been a seller across any platform in a long time. The FF doesn't sell merchandise. Hell, they can barely sell FF COMICS to Marvel Comics fans, and not for lack of trying with top talent as creators.

But there are some things locked up with the FF that I could see Marvel having run with if they had it back. They could totally have used Doom as a Thor villain. And use Galactus and maybe Silver Surfer in Guardians. Even though I think the premise of FF has not aged well, I think Doom is Marvel's greatest super-villain. Because of DOOM!

But an actual franchise of FF movies? I doubt Marvel wishes that was something they could be doing (instead of what they are already succeeding at doing.)
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I think I posted a while ago that I thought at this point Marvel was more interested in the tangential FF concepts rather than the team itself. The three you mentioned, as well as the Skrulls, being the most desirable.

Maybe 5-10 years ago they would have been interested in a franchise, who knows. But even if this film bombs, and they get the rights back, I have a hard time believing they would be eager to dive in with a third reboot. So far, they've done nothing with Punisher or Ghost Rider, and they shifted Daredevil to TV. Maybe in Phase Five or beyond, when they've tried everything else? If there even is a Phase Five...

As much as I love the FF, I realize much of it is rooted in nostalgia. I always feel like I should enjoy it, and I try every relaunch, but it inevitably drifts away from me again. It's simply not the center of the Marvel Universe anymore, and it doesn't have a brand the way Avengers of the X-Books does. It's just there, all by itself, with no opportunity for expansion beyond the occasional failed Thing solo series.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

I think I posted a while ago that I thought at this point Marvel was more interested in the tangential FF concepts rather than the team itself. The three you mentioned, as well as the Skrulls, being the most desirable.

Maybe 5-10 years ago they would have been interested in a franchise, who knows. But even if this film bombs, and they get the rights back, I have a hard time believing they would be eager to dive in with a third reboot. So far, they've done nothing with Punisher or Ghost Rider, and they shifted Daredevil to TV. Maybe in Phase Five or beyond, when they've tried everything else? If there even is a Phase Five...

As much as I love the FF, I realize much of it is rooted in nostalgia. I always feel like I should enjoy it, and I try every relaunch, but it inevitably drifts away from me again. It's simply not the center of the Marvel Universe anymore, and it doesn't have a brand the way Avengers of the X-Books does. It's just there, all by itself, with no opportunity for expansion beyond the occasional failed Thing solo series.

Agreed!
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    I know it's said waaaaaay too much. But when Disney has the Incredibles, do you need the FF?
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

I know it's said waaaaaay too much. But when Disney has the Incredibles, do you need the FF?

I think it is said a lot because it is true. Animation, and the angle that Pixar found for them, worked perfectly. By not being tied to what had come before, they cracked it, and made so etching that felt contemporary largely inspired by something we were nostalgic for.

Also a family that is actually comprised of parents and children is just more compelling (and higher stakes) than adult siblings and in-laws (which is where FF starts before the kids are born).
  • Options
    edited November 2014

That "plot leak" is 100% awful and 100% fake.
  • Options
    The screenwriter says it's 100% BS, which, if taken at his word, also means the thing about the anti-social blogger. #fingerscrossed
  • Options
    David_D said:

chrisw said:

David_D said:

Maybe. I guess we'll see.

This might be controversial to the FF fans. But I think, if Marvel *did* have the FF, they would be smart enough to not try to make it into a franchise of live action movies right now. I just don't think we are living in an FF kind of age.

I can't disagree that the FF might not be the best candidate for a movie franchise, but look at the age we are living in... everyone carries a computer/camera/tv in their pocket, and we're landing washing machines on comets 30 million miles away. A small team of scientists/adventurers with enough money can build a rocket to take them into space. We can manipulate the genetic code of living things. We can instantly communicate with anyone in the world. We can print things in 3D at home.

I think the world is ripe for the type of science/adventure the FF would provide. I think they would be awesome if done right. That being said, I don't think anyone but Marvel would do them right. Fox is definitely not going to do it. NOTHING that has leaked, or been said by people in the know bodes well for this movie.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
  • Options
    Well, that's either proof there is actually bad blood behind the scenes, despite Disney and Fox denials, or that Nathan Edmondson is simply having some fun trolling those who've heard the rumors :)

Kind of mean, sort of funny.
  • Options
    Here's the official synopsis of the movie:
    The FANTASTIC FOUR, a contemporary re-imagining of Marvel's original and longest-running superhero team, centers on four young outsiders who teleport to an alternate and dangerous universe, which alters their physical form in shocking ways. Their lives irrevocably upended, the team must learn to harness their daunting new abilities and work together to save Earth from a former friend turned enemy.
    August 7, 2015 Wide Release
  • Options
    Thank God. Negative Zone perhaps?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I think that fact that the current volumes of Avengers and New Avengers are also ending right before Secret Wars this summer puts all the sound and fury around the Fantastic Four ending in a new context.

So basically, all that conspiracy theorizing and spin around the current volume of Fantastic Four ending in April. And how that was supposed to be some sort of acting out by Marvel against Fox? Well the same thing is happening in the two flagship Avengers books. We now have confirmation, as the 'Time Runs Out' storyline has been hinting at and counting down to, the two main Avengers titles ALSO end in April.

And, of course, characters from these Hickman Avengers books as well as the Fantastic Four are all major players in the Secret Wars event this summer, at least to judge from the covers and promos we've seen.

Surely the new volumes of Avengers (and probably the New Avengers brand as well) will spin out of Secret War, though that has not yet been announced. No reason to believe that a new volume of Fantastic Four won't also spin out of Secret War, too. Though that has not yet been announced.

Unless BleedingCool or others would like to convince us that Marvel is cancelling these Avengers books because they are mad at themselves for how the Avengers movies are being handled at Marvel, and are using their publishing schedule to lash out?

Or, is it more likely that Fantastic Four, like these Avengers books, are just playing the cancel-and-relaunch-with-a-new-#1 game that Marvel has been playing for years?

From the beginning I have argued the latter is more likely. And, now that we see the Avengers 'cancellations' (suspensions) I think it is that much more clear that FF is connected to the same strategy. Though I don't blame Marvel for letting the BleedingCools and other speculators/muckrackers in the blogosphere help them boost sales on the upcoming "final" issue of FF. Why come out and say 'FF will definitely be back' when you can have the spin help you sell "the most controversial Fantastic Four story of the century!"? (I don't think the solicitation for the triple-sized "last" issue is out yet, but I would guess it will be similarly hyperbolic.)

But, at the end of the day, I believe this is about the publishing division doing what they do-- hyping and selling comics, and resorting to their old, proven, tricks to do so.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

I think that fact that the current volumes of Avengers and New Avengers are also ending right before Secret Wars this summer puts all the sound and fury around the Fantastic Four ending in a new context.

So basically, all that conspiracy theorizing and spin around the current volume of Fantastic Four ending in April. And how that was supposed to be some sort of acting out by Marvel against Fox? Well the same thing is happening in the two flagship Avengers books. We now have confirmation, as the 'Time Runs Out' storyline has been hinting at and counting down to, the two main Avengers titles ALSO end in April.

And, of course, characters from these Hickman Avengers books as well as the Fantastic Four are all major players in the Secret Wars event this summer, at least to judge from the covers and promos we've seen.

Surely the new volumes of Avengers (and probably the New Avengers brand as well) will spin out of Secret War, though that has not yet been announced. No reason to believe that a new volume of Fantastic Four won't also spin out of Secret War, too. Though that has not yet been announced.

Unless BleedingCool or others would like to convince us that Marvel is cancelling these Avengers books because they are mad at themselves for how the Avengers movies are being handled at Marvel, and are using their publishing schedule to lash out?

Or, is it more likely that Fantastic Four, like these Avengers books, are just playing the cancel-and-relaunch-with-a-new-#1 game that Marvel has been playing for years?

From the beginning I have argued the latter is more likely. And, now that we see the Avengers 'cancellations' (suspensions) I think it is that much more clear that FF is connected to the same strategy. Though I don't blame Marvel for letting the BleedingCools and other speculators/muckrackers in the blogosphere help them boost sales on the upcoming "final" issue of FF. Why come out and say 'FF will definitely be back' when you can have the spin help you sell "the most controversial Fantastic Four story of the century!"? (I don't think the solicitation for the triple-sized "last" issue is out yet, but I would guess it will be similarly hyperbolic.)

But, at the end of the day, I believe this is about the publishing division doing what they do-- hyping and selling comics, and resorting to their old, proven, tricks to do so.

There goes that @DavidD, being all reasonable and shit again...