Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    meh. Looks like it could be an okay generic sci-fi flick, not sure about it being a good FF movie.
  • Options
    Don't know about FF ... but the interstellar two trailer i just watched seemed amazing

Personally i found the director commentry on the trailer bad, he kept trying to talk about comics but got some much wrong ... didn't fill me with hope and i'm normally the positive guy with these underdog films... fingers crossed i'm proven wrong
  • Options

I think it's safe to say that these latest revelations are probably not going to do much to quench the thirst of FF fans hoping for a live action Incredibles remake, or even anything resembling Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's original vision of Marvel's first family.

Yeah. I'm not sold. I'm walking away from this one. Haven't liked anything I'd heard up to this point, and I'm not seeing anything here to win me over. My first impression on seeing the trailer was "Who are these guys!?"
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mrfusion said:

The Thing ain't got no pants?!?

Which begs the question--does The Thing have a thing?
  • Options
    The best I can say is that The Thing looks better than the Michael Chiklis version, and he doesn't have the physique of Jamie Bell in a suit. Other than that, it still looks Green Lantern levels of bad to me. I hope to be pleasantly surprised in August.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I cannot understand why the Internet seems to be hoping this film flops. It looks just as good as any of the Marvel trailers I've seen.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    JaxUr said:

I cannot understand why the Internet seems to be hoping this film flops. It looks just as good as any of the Marvel trailers I've seen.

I don't know if I would go that far. It's a decent trailer, but most Marvel teasers/trailers have left me with at least one character moment that takes it beyond the standard "mood music over slow panning shots" that make up this one. My biggest reaction to this is that it looks well shot, and I think any trailer for a major film should be able to find enough good footage to put a minute of interesting images together. It wouldn't surprise me if some of that was B-roll shot by a second crew, or even footage shot for the trailer.

I'd feel more confident if there was even just a moment of a character saying or doing something that makes me think "Yeah, I want to spend two hours with these characters." I know, it's just a teaser, but they clearly have enough footage done that if there was a killer moment or line of dialogue, they could have slipped it in. That they didn't at this point still makes me wonder how good of a film we'll be getting.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I gotta say, I'm more impressed with the teaser trailer than I thought I was going to be and by that, I mean, I'm surprised by how much it didn't stink. It has a very serous tone to it which I don't hate but I feel like this might be a darker and more serious tone to a franchise that is far from dark and serious. I hope this isn't the Fantastic Four version of The Man of Steel in terms of tone. I'm not sure how inclined I am to see this in on the big screen but I am intrigued enough to maybe wait for video. It does look interesting.
  • Options
    JaxUr said:

Definitely an "Us vs. Them" element to it.

The perception is that because it's not a "real" Marvel movie, its failure could result in a re-integration of the FF into the MCU-proper.
  • Options

THIS is what bothers me most. We've only JUST seen images and a teaser trailer but this is plastered ALL OVER everything so far. If you HAVE to ride the coat tails of another successful movie just to create some sense of legitimacy....aren't you doomed from word go?
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

THIS is what bothers me most. We've only JUST seen images and a teaser trailer but this is plastered ALL OVER everything so far. If you HAVE to ride the coat tails of another successful movie just to create some sense of legitimacy....aren't you doomed from word go?

It was so prominent at the beginning that I thought I had the wrong video link at first.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868

No. Companies do this all the time. It's not even the worst example I've seen this week. I just picked up Ghost In The Shell 2 on Blu Ray and on the cover it says "From the creators of Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle". Which is a really big stretch.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

JaxUr said:

The perception is that because it's not a "real" Marvel movie, its failure could result in a re-integration of the FF into the MCU-proper.
    That and there's been a marked display of "willful ignorance" about the source material by the director and cast that's been somewhat off-putting to the comic book fans out there. I believe both the director and Kat Mara (Sue Storm) went on record as saying they never looked at the books and don't read comics in general. Nothing wrong with the latter (this is why they are actors) but one would think you'd at least want to be somewhat familiar with the Fantastic Four when you're making your Fantastic Four film, eh?

• Options
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

JaxUr said:

That and there's been a marked display of "willful ignorance" about the source material by the director and cast that's been somewhat off-putting to the comic book fans out there. I believe both the director and Kat Mara (Sue Storm) went on record as saying they never looked at the books and don't read comics in general. Nothing wrong with the latter (this is why they are actors) but one would think you'd at least want to be somewhat familiar with the Fantastic Four when you're making your Fantastic Four film, eh?

yeah this was my issue. FIrst the director rejects use of the comics than in latest interview states how much they looked towards "bryan hitchs" making the team "the ultimates " by putting Reed in a Garage and goes on to keep calling Ultimate FF "the Ultimates" and how much he likes Hitch ???

Hitch did the some of the Covers of Ultimate FF and Reed Did appear in a panel of last Ultimates book ... personally it seems like he just googled FF in an attempt to please fans a quell backwash
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    edited January 2015
    I guess to sum up my feelings, this may very well be a decent movie.

But ... it's not the Fantastic Four.

It looks like it may have the some of the spirit of the comics. It may be inspired by the comics. The characters may even have similar powers. But in the end, from what I've seen and heard so far (which may be off base, but it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it), this movie isn't the Reed and the Sue and the Johnny and the Ben that I grew up on. That's what I'm looking for in a FF movie. I may be the only one, but it's what I'm after. Maybe that's not commercially viable. Nevertheless, it's what I'm looking for.

I really didn't like the Ultimate versions of the FF, either, so referring to that doesn't do much for me. I want recognizable versions of my characters. I'd rather they called it something completely different if it isn't what I'm after.

That said, I have no ill will toward the project. I hope it makes a bazillion dollars and the reviews are so good I have to see it.

That doesn't change the fact that, right now, this thing still looks like a train wreck to me.

(Yes, I know I'm an old fogey) :P
  • Options

Sorry, but how is this any different than Marvel putting in "From the Studios that brought you the Avengers and Iron Man" for all of their movies? Studios do stuff like this all the time.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    edited January 2015
    I liked the teaser. I probably won't watch anything else until I am in my seat at the movies. I hope what I get from this movie what I got from The Dark Knight. Inside of a really great thriller there is Batman movie. I would love to see a really great sci fi movie that just happens to star the FF. I think it is the smartest way you can translate these character into a bankable franchise outside of just giving the character back to Disney.
  • Options
    I'm getting a little confused by some of the terms being thrown around here. How is this movie being considered more sci-fi than the previous FF films, which also had solid SF themes as well?
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203

I'm getting a little confused by some of the terms being thrown around here. How is this movie being considered more sci-fi than the previous FF films, which also had solid SF themes as well?

The previous FF films were super hero movies that used "science" as an excuse to give them powers. This looks like a science fiction move that might explore some classic science fiction themes that star the FF. Or at least that was what I got from the teaser trailer.
  • Options
    spid said:

The previous FF films were super hero movies that used "science" as an excuse to give them powers. This looks like a science fiction move that might explore some classic science fiction themes that star the FF. Or at least that was what I got from the teaser trailer.
    Which is not something I have a problem with, nor is that uncommon for any superhero title in general. Most of the silver-age Marvels have that in common. But even so, those earlier FF movies still had classic SF themes running through them: scientific exploration, space stations, aliens, etc. What I see missing in the trailer is any exploration of the main theme: the FF as superheros... because when all is said and done, even with the sci-fi emphasis, this is still a superhero franchise. I want to see the FF as characters, not just pieces in a mood piece. And, as someone else has pointed out, where is the fun in this outing? For all of the problems the other FF films had, I still found them to have a level of fun to them.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    See, I found nothing to enjoy about the past two movies. I found them campy and silly with rather bad acting which was surprising since I liked most of the actors in those movies. This has something different and edgy to it. I can't say with certainty that I prefer this way. I have mentioned before that this has the risk of becoming the FF version of The Man of Steel but I am intrigued. I agree that this is a harder sci-fi look at the superhero movie and I'm not opposed to it. Again, this is a teaser. I'm certain we'll get more with a trailer but I just hope that this movie has fun and enjoyment as well as what we saw. It would be a shame if it didn't have the components that make the Fantastic Four who they are.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    jaydee74 said:

It would be a shame if it didn't have the components that make the Fantastic Four who they are.

This is what worries me the most. The FF is so awesome because of the "family" element. They are a family first (not to mention Marvel's First Family), and a super hero team second. The FF are adventure, and exploration, and fun. This movie doesn't look like it will have any of those elements. This is definitely not going the beat The Incredibles.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to watch it (c'mon... it is live-action FF on the Big Screen!), I just won't pay to watch it on the big screen, and my expectations will be fantastically low.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

JaxUr said:

From the info that I have heard, the actors, the directors, and the studios, don't give a rat's ass what the "comic nerds" think.
    The comics are a starting point as source material. As long as there is some glimmer of name recognition with the general public to generate even a passing interest, that is enough for the studio. If they deviate from the original material in order to make a more marketable product... let the "nerds" bitch & moan all they want. Comic fans are less than a paltry 5% of who pays to see these movies.

If Michael B. Jordan tests better with the public as Johnny Storm, than you can bet he is going to get cast as Johnny Storm... source material be damned.

If Josh Trank's version of the FF is some horrible mash-up of Chronicle and the 1978 Fantastic Four TV cartoon that Fox bought into in order to keep their hands on the property, then that is what they are going to do their best to sell to the widest audience possible.
  • Options
    Hex said:

This is what worries me the most. The FF is so awesome because of the "family" element. They are a family first (not to mention Marvel's First Family), and a super hero team second. The FF are adventure, and exploration, and fun. This movie doesn't look like it will have any of those elements. This is definitely not going the beat The Incredibles.

The Fantastic Four = The Incredibles analogy doesn't really hold up to any sort of strong examination. To me it feels based on a fantasy version of the Fantastic Four held in the minds of people who don't read much Fantastic Four.

The Incredibles has none of the disability metaphors, the guilt, the infidelity, the questions of conscience, and the villains making armour out of their dead lovers flesh that the Fantastic Four has.

OK that last one was exaggerating to make a point, but if you are going to tell the FF's origin it's got to look like a sci-fi tragedy, because it is. Ben Grimm is arguably the most tragic Marvel character. The woman he loves is in love with his best friend, a best friend who then accidentally turns him into a 1950s sci-fi comics monster. Then, the woman's younger brother shows zero empathy for his new condition and continually deliberately aggravates him. There is no fun to be had in the FF's origin, it's all hubris and tragedy.

You'd only get a "Incredibles" style FF if you skip the origin story and stories where Reed tries to unsuccessfully cure Ben and go straight to the periods where Ben Grimm has resigned himself to his lot in life.
  • Options
    Brack said:

The Incredibles has none of the disability metaphors, the guilt, the infidelity, the questions of conscience, and the villains making armour out of their dead lovers flesh that the Fantastic Four has.

Yuck.

I'll take The Incredibles, then, thanks.

I get enough disability, guilt, infidelity, and questions of conscience in real life.

(I'll plead the Fifth on the flesh armor...)
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    jaydee74 said:

I have mentioned before that this has the risk of becoming the FF version of The Man of Steel but I am intrigued. I agree that this is a harder sci-fi look at the superhero movie and I'm not opposed to it. Again, this is a teaser. I'm certain we'll get more with a trailer but I just hope that this movie has fun and enjoyment as well as what we saw. It would be a shame if it didn't have the components that make the Fantastic Four who they are.

I can deal with a Man of Steel vibe if Galactus shows up... and he isn't a cloud.

• Options

I can deal with a Man of Steel vibe if Galactus shows up... and he isn't a cloud.

What if he's a swarm of sentient spaceships? Ultimate Extinction was a Reed Richards / Professor X team up story after all...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Brack said:

Ben Grimm is arguably the most tragic Marvel character.

You'll get no argument from me there.
    Brack said:

You'd only get a "Incredibles" style FF if you skip the origin story and stories where Reed tries to unsuccessfully cure Ben and go straight to the periods where Ben Grimm has resigned himself to his lot in life.

This is where I'll disagree. I've read the entire Lee/Kirby FF with my young kids as bedtime stories. The FF was always a favourite BECAUSE of that family element, which has been integral to the characters from the start. Even when my daughter was 5, she knew that despite Ben's gruff exterior and for all of his grousing, he was a true hero and had a heart of gold. The FF was his family and he would do whatever it took to do right by his family. Like the average family, things weren't always perfect and they had their squabbles, but in the end they worked it out and had each others backs. I'll admit it took Stan a few issues to figure where he was going with the FF, and how to get the characterization consistent, but the basics were there from issue #1.

Call me crazy, but somehow I doubt this film is going to have those same kind of qualities that I would feel comfortable conveying to my children. Not that I expect (nor want) a light-hearted, fluffy kids film. But I do want a FF movie that conveys the same sense of wonder and adventure that made the Lee/Kirby run set the bar for the Fantastic Four, and the foundation for the rest of the Marvel Universe.

... that, and the Dr. Doom I'm familiar with doesn't "Blog".