Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    edited March 2015
    chrisw said:

Or, maybe I just hung out with a weird crowd who thought FF was better than Avengers or X-Men.

NoGoodNicks.

(Arguably with good taste. But, still.)
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

Brack said:

WetRats said:

What is Christopher Lloyd doing there?

You know, if they were making an Inhumans movie in 1979, that would be pretty good casting for Maximus The Mad (for it is he).

I was thinking more along the lines of Russell Johnson, 'The Professor' from Gilligan's Island

Reed Richards is clearly Russell Johnson.

The face at the lower right is Christopher Lloyd.

Namor looks really familiar, too.
    Hmm... I was thinking that guy in the lower right looked more like THIS Lloyd...

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    chrisw said:

I think FF used to be a big part of the marketing up until the mid '80s. I was born in 1971, and I have clear memories of coming across FF toys, games, coloring books, etc, all during the '70s, long before I really dived into comics in the early '80s. Just last year, I came across an old package of Fantastic Four bubble gum in a box of old toys. House ads always put Thing in with Spider-Man, Captain America, Hulk, and all the big names.

This jives with my memory as well. When I was a kid, I recall most of the Marvel merchandise and adverting featured Spidey, Cap, Hulk, and the Thing (and sometimes Thor or Iron Man). The Thing was one of the main faces of Marvel.

The rose is definitely off the bloom for the poor FF. They are a shadow of the popularity that they once held... pushed aside first by the X-Men, then the Avengers. However it is ridiculous to imagine the Marvel universe without them, and ludicrous to think that Marvel wouldn't publish a Fantastic Four title. Like @David_D pointed out; "money left on the table", not to mention respect for the First Family. It took the Avengers a good decade to claw their way to the top from the dark era of the "Brown jackets". In the right hands, there is no reason to believe the FF couldn't regain the top billing title once again (not that I am comparing the current run of the FF to that dismal time for the Avengers).

Unfortunately I don't believe that the upcoming movie will do anything to help boost their popularity. And I don't think anyone at the Marvel office thinks so either.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Victor Doomashev is a anti-social Eastern European computer programmer and hacktivist who calls himself “Doom”. He hates the 1%, particularly Storm, whom he claims corrupts science for profit.

Imagine if Marvel Studios had gone the same route with their movies:

Thomas "Thor" Odinson (so named for his prowess in high school football) is the heir to a massive fortune accrued by his father who is CEO of the enormous international "Asgard" company, one of the world's leading military weapons and technology developers. The rebellious Thomas gains possession of the state of the art weapon MJOLNIR which becomes coded to his genetic signature, much to the ire of his adopted brother, Lorne Odinsson. Lorne has aspirations of taking control of Asgard and has prodigious skills as a hacker, gaining him the online nickname of "L0K1".
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited April 2015
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Victor Doomashev is a anti-social Eastern European computer programmer and hacktivist who calls himself “Doom”. He hates the 1%, particularly Storm, whom he claims corrupts science for profit.

Imagine if Marvel Studios had gone the same route with their movies:

Thomas "Thor" Odinson (so named for his prowess in high school football) is the heir to a massive fortune accrued by his father who is CEO of the enormous international "Asgard" company, one of the world's leading military weapons and technology developers. The rebellious Thomas gains possession of the state of the art weapon MJOLNIR which becomes coded to his genetic signature, much to the ire of his adopted brother, Lorne Odinsson. Lorne has aspirations of taking control of Asgard and has prodigious skills as a hacker, gaining him the online nickname of "L0K1".

Funny, while I think the FF reboot stuff sounds dumb, I'd probably at least read the comic adaptation of your Thor.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    If that character description is correct, at least Fox have made it harder for Marvel to use The Ghost in an Iron Man movie.
  • Options
    First good look at Jamie Bell as the Thing here

• Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited April 2015
    photo original_zpsmslr79an.jpg

Hmmm...

First good look at Jamie Bell as the Thing here

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    That one pic is brilliant... but I've seen a couple of others that are less impressive. It's not enough to lure me into the theater.
  • Options
    Another good shot of Ben Grimm..

The costume design is good. I like it.
  • Options

Hey, they can't get everything wrong... No one's perfect.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Thing looks good enough to me.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I don't know, guys. He looks like some sort of.... thing. ;)
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    If it ain't one Thing its another.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

Well... it's another shot anyway. It's... some thing -- it just ain't Ben Grimm. Seriously, if I didn't already know it was supposed to be him, I wouldn't have known.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Can't wait. The mixing in of the popular Young Adult novel vibe from movies like Hunger Games and Divergent is definitely winning over my oldest. I've read how the Marvel movies are good at creating genre films within a genre film but this so far is a better example of that. I imagine Ant Man under Wright would have been close too. Looking forward to this.
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

I've read how the Marvel movies are good at creating genre films within a genre film but this so far is a better example of that. I imagine Ant Man under Wright would have been close too. Looking forward to this.

I get your point and agree with it, but just so you know, this movie isn't exactly under the helm of Marvel. It's more like a Fox film with the same trade dressing.

• Options
    I do know that. Thanks. Nowhere did I say it was. Haha.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Re: The trailer.

I never got around to seeing the teaser, so this is my first impression of how this movie is presenting itself.

The trailers for the mid-'00s FF movies made me want to skip them. And from what I ended up hearing from people that saw it, I don't think I need to ever get around to them. It seemed like it was trying too hard to be family friendly and precious of the subject matter. Sounded pretty vanilla. Might be for some people, and that's fine. But it didn't seem like my kind of thing.

This trailer seems very different from how the FF are usually done... but this *does* seem more like my kind of thing.

Not sure yet if I will make the time to see this in the theater this summer. But I do want to give it a chance at some point.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I get a very Ultimate Universe feel from it. Especially with how Reed enters, it's feels very much like how Millar and Bendis began the FF in the UU (I know. I know. It's only a 2.5 minute trailer).
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    The Uuff were more of a think tank brought together. I bought that comic for about 30 issues. I would want to see a good use of powers.

I'm starting to think that this movie might do better than people think.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I'm sticking with my edict for the last few years; aside from the next X-Men & Wolverine movies, if it's not a MCU Marvel movie, I'm passing.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I'm sticking with my edict for the last few years; aside from the next X-Men & Wolverine movies, if it's not a MCU Marvel movie, I'm passing.

M

You are a man of edicts. And nothing if not consistent.

(I don't think I could even keep track of mine, if I had them. I would need a Google Doc or something.)
  • Options
    Wow. It works on so many levels. And if we had no idea that this wasn't a Marvel U, no doubt opinions would be flipped. And just because of a studio flip and no other reason. Haha.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    RepoMan said:

Wow. It works on so many levels. And if we had no idea that this wasn't a Marvel U, no doubt opinions would be flipped. And just because of a studio flip and no other reason. Haha.

For me, I'm not a FF fan. I dislike the Ultimate line even more. More then a studio issue, easy sacrifice.

Hell, I'm a Spider-man fan & after borrowing Pants' copy of ASM, I knew I would not be continuing with the rebooted franchise. I've only watched ASM once & haven't watched ASM2.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited April 2015
    I'm a huge FF fan but I'll most likely watch this when FX replays it on some Saturday afternoon 3 years from now.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm a huge FF fan but I'll most likely watch this when FX replays it on some Saturday afternoon 3 years from now.

@Mr_Cosmic: Loves Taco Bell commercials ;)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'll wait to see this On-Demand.

That's what I did for the second Ghost Rider (Blargh) and Dredd (which was awesome).
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'll probably eventually check the DVD out at the library, think about watching it, and decide not to.

Just like I did with Amazing Spider-Man 2.