Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I'll admire the posters from afar. And then go see Ant-Man.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    It actually looks better than I expected. I give them some credit for trying something different. I'd still prefer an FF that isn't a bunch of teenagers (or rather people in their 20s playing teenagers), but I'm not surprised that they're still attempting to create some sort of comic movie franchise to capture a teen audience. I think the value of that is over-rated (even if it does connect, teens are so fickle that by the time they make a sequel, they may not even care), but I understand the thinking.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Liking the tone and appearance. Just don't like the cast. I'm not much of an FF fan at all so while I admit this is looking much better than I expected, I'm still not motivated to go see it. Like with the two previous movies I'll catch it on cable or dvd.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    edited April 2015
    WetRats said:

I'll probably eventually check the DVD out at the library, think about watching it, and decide not to.

Just like I did with Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Then why comment? Other than to try and look like you're cool or clever I suppose. What a waste.

After the FF in the Byrne era ep - the small hints of Sue's powers being used offensively in the trailer show potential. I'm even wondering if they'll use her eyes as part of her abilities - I believe Byrne or another writer played in that area.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited April 2015
    Hated the previously released teaser, but this trailer goes a long way to winning me over. Definitely not my FF, but looks credible enough to watch at home. I'll wait to decide about visiting the local theatre until I hear some reviews from credible sources. Still not convinced about the direction they are supposedly taking Doom.

I somehow get the feeling this movie may be loaded with easter eggs.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited April 2015
    RepoMan said:

WetRats said:

I'll probably eventually check the DVD out at the library, think about watching it, and decide not to.

Just like I did with Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Then why comment? Other than to try and look like you're cool or clever I suppose. What a waste.

@RepoMan Trailers are ads. A string of posts that comment on whether or not the trailer made you want to see it, even if that reaction was that you weren't hooked, is relevant.

Let's not get into second guessing each others motives. That tends to derail.

We're more interested in what you thought than in why you think others takes aren't valid or welcomed. Thanks.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    And to answer the question, @WetRats comments because it amuses him to do so, and it frequently amuses me when he does.

Whether or not it's a waste is debatable.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm not sure what to think. I feel like what I've seen with the new trailer, it looks like it will be a good science fiction movie. That doesn't mean that it will be a good Fantastic Four movie though.
  • Options
    Where are the grownups to discuss without the need to amuse? Haha.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

And to answer the question, @WetRats comments because it amuses him to do so, and it frequently amuses me when he does.

Whether or not it's a waste is debatable.

Currently I'm amused that I thought I was leaping to someone else's defense, only to be retconned into leaping to my own defense.

I suppose it is a waste to take a bullet for oneself.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    RepoMan said:

Where are the grownups to discuss without the need to amuse? Haha.

• Options
    I feel a little like this guy from that old Schoolhouse Rock "Interjection" video ...

Because I kinda liked the trailer.

*ducks*
  • Options

I feel a little like this guy from that old Schoolhouse Rock "Interjection" video ...

*ducks*

No need to duck. I think a number of us liked this trailer.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

*ducks*

Hooray! Indeed.

I'm glad there are people who will enjoy this.

But I'm sad that the people in charge of this property, like those in charge of Superman, seem to feel that the classic versions of the characters are somehow outmoded and unfilmable.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

*ducks*

Hooray! Indeed.

I'm glad there are people who will enjoy this.

But I'm sad that the people in charge of this property, like those in charge of Superman, seem to feel that the classic versions of the characters are somehow outmoded and unfilmable.
    I'll throw pulp era characters into that conversation. They don't seem to grasp (or afraid it'll fumble) the essence of the characters. Instead they get misrepresented, mismarketed, & in some cases, miscast.

M
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    It seems like fans are constantly clamoring for creators to change things up and be different. Then when it happens, we turn on them and want things back the way they were, or we complain about it not being the kind of different we wanted.

Us: "Do something different."
    Creators: "Like what? Suggestions?"
    Us: "I don't know, I'm not a creator!"

That said, the talk and rumors made me worried, but the trailer has me interested. "Hooray" indeed! Bring it on!
  • Options
    Also, does this trailer put to rest the rumor (I think it was only a rumor, right?) that Doom is just some blogger? From this it looks like he was part of the team that made the universe jump with the 4. Bad things happen, that he likely blames the rest for, and then he comes back at them.

That works for me.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    The Fantastic Four concept explained in one line: A family of scientific explorers who gain superpowers in their quest for knowledge, and use those powers to defend their planet while continuing to “challenge the unknown.”

This new trailer: 1) Family: check, 2) Scientific explorers: check, 3) Gain superpowers while exploring: check, 4) Defend the planet: check, 5) Continue scientific exploration: TBD.

So far so good.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    fredzilla said:

It seems like fans are constantly clamoring for creators to change things up and be different. Then when it happens, we turn on them and want things back the way they were, or we complain about it not being the kind of different we wanted.

Us: "Do something different."
    Creators: "Like what? Suggestions?"
    Us: "I don't know, I'm not a creator!"

That said, the talk and rumors made me worried, but the trailer has me interested. "Hooray" indeed! Bring it on!

You've presented this more black & white when it's really a wide berth of gray. Things can be tweaked, without being an overhaul (not saying this movie is.). Plus, I don't buy this notion that we as fans should just accept every change that makes something different.

You can appreciate new angles that still retain the shape, but can also get bored with cookie cutter molds.

M
  • Options

The Fantastic Four concept explained in one line: A family of scientific explorers who gain superpowers in their quest for knowledge, and use those powers to defend their planet while continuing to “challenge the unknown.”

This new trailer: 1) Family: check, 2) Scientific explorers: check, 3) Gain superpowers while exploring: check, 4) Defend the planet: check, 5) Continue scientific exploration: TBD.

So far so good.

I thought that too. The tone might be different then what FF readers might think of as the FF tone, but the core concept looks the same.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited April 2015

So far so good.

Yes, although that same description applies to the first two movie versions of the Fantastic Four as well, so there's that.

As for me, I liked the trailer. But for an FF film it appears that it's got a bit of a David Cronenberg vibe to it, as in, these powers and DNA changes are very unsettling and extremely scary. Which is realistic and gritty, but if it contains some of the humor we find in movies like Winter Soldier or Avengers or even some of the X-Men films, then my concerns could prove unfounded. However, if it's a dreary and serious film like Man of Steel, I'm going to be very disappointed.

I think that's my issue with BvS as well. It just doesn't look like a fun movie. Star Wars 7 I can take the whole family to. I might even see it twice. It looks "fun." I'm just not getting that from this film, and it doesn't look like "fun" at least not from the trailers that we've seen. Same goes for BvS. Of course, this could all prove premature.

Either way, I will likely wait for Google Play or Netflix for this one.
  • Options

So far so good.

Yes, although that same description applies to the first two movie versions of the Fantastic Four as well, so there's that.

As for me, I liked the trailer. But for an FF film it appears that it's got a bit of a David Cronenberg vibe to it, as in, these powers and DNA changes are very unsettling and extremely scary. Which is realistic and gritty, but if it contains some of the humor we find in movies like Winter Soldier or Avengers or even some of the X-Men films, then my concerns could prove unfounded. However, if it's a dreary and serious film like Man of Steel, I'm going to be very disappointed.

I think that's my issue with BvS as well. It just doesn't look like a fun movie. Star Wars 7 I can take the whole family to. I might even see it twice. It looks "fun." I'm just not getting that from this film, and it doesn't look like "fun" at least not from the trailers that we've seen. Same goes for BvS. Of course, this could all prove premature.

I don't think the trailers are showing enough just yet to determine what the overall tone of the movie is going to be, but I don't get any impression that it's going to be grim and/or gritty. It certainly doesn't appear to be as dark and dreary as BvS.

The trailer makes me a lot more optimistic than the early reports. That's not to say the movie is going to be a winner, but so far I haven't seen anything that will automatically keep me away either.

• Options
    edited April 2015

So far so good.

Bingo! Loving the real discussion! Especially about tone. I can see the demographic here leaning to the Young Adult Reader crowd. Which isn't really the proper name since look at the crowd going to see Hunger Games. It may not be the next Hunger Games or Maze Runner but it's also not all the different than Oblivion or some other sci-fi generic movie. I'm liking it!
  • Options

So far so good.

I don't think the trailers are showing enough just yet to determine what the overall tone of the movie is going to be, but I don't get any impression that it's going to be grim and/or gritty. It certainly doesn't appear to be as dark and dreary as BvS.

The trailer makes me a lot more optimistic than the early reports. That's not to say the movie is going to be a winner, but so far I haven't seen anything that will automatically keep me away either.

I think the tone I felt I saw in the trailer might also be influenced by so e of the things the director and cast said in the current, summer preview issue of EW. They director definitely says that horror is a big influence on what he is doing ( I am paraphrasing of course). Which I am game for, but I may be seeing the trailer partly through that lens.
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

So far so good.

Bingo! Loving the real discussion! Especially about tone. I can see the demographic here leaning to the Young Adult Reader crowd. Which isn't really the proper name since look at the crowd going to see Hunger Games. It may not be the next Hunger Games or Maze Runner but it's also not all the different than Oblivion or some other sci-fi generic movie. I'm liking it!
    The "Young Adult Reader" feel is definitely a turn off for me. After watching The Girl Next Door in theatres & realizing I was one of the oldest there...by about 5-7 years, I realized I'm not in that niche anymore.

I get a similar feel for Twilight, Hunger Games, Maze Runner, ASM, & that movie series with Shailene Woodley.

I hope they all make hundreds of millions of dollars...but they just aren't for me.

M
  • Options
    David_D said:

I think the tone I felt I saw in the trailer might also be influenced by so e of the things the director and cast said in the current, summer preview issue of EW. They director definitely says that horror is a big influence on what he is doing ( I am paraphrasing of course). Which I am game for, but I may be seeing the trailer partly through that lens.

Ah. I hadn't heard anything about that, but it would make perfect sense if they were doing Annihilus. The first thing I thought when I watched the trailer was, “I wonder if they broke into the Negative Zone?” But we probably would have heard something by now if that was going to be the case.

I wouldn't be opposed to some Kirby-esque monsters.
  • Options
    Matt said:

RepoMan said:

So far so good.

The "Young Adult Reader" feel is definitely a turn off for me. After watching The Girl Next Door in theatres & realizing I was one of the oldest there...by about 5-7 years, I realized I'm not in that niche anymore.

I get a similar feel for Twilight, Hunger Games, Maze Runner, ASM, & that movie series with Shailene Woodley.

I hope they all make hundreds of millions of dollars...but they just aren't for me.

M
    As with all things, there's good Young Adult and bad Young Adult. The stuff you named—all based on novels, except ASM, which I'm excluding here—is derivative, contrived material that panders to its audience. (Okay, I haven't read/seen Maze Runner or Divergent, so I could be wrong about them, but their descriptions make it pretty plain.)

A good story is a good story, no matter the target audience. I feel no shame in reading/watching something labeled Young Adult if the story is worth my time.
  • Options

Matt said:

RepoMan said:

So far so good.

M
    As with all things, there's good Young Adult and bad Young Adult. The stuff you named—all based on novels, except ASM, which I'm excluding here—is derivative, contrived material that panders to its audience. (Okay, I haven't read/seen Maze Runner or Divergent, so I could be wrong about them, but their descriptions make it pretty plain.)

A good story is a good story, no matter the target audience. I feel no shame in reading/watching something labeled Young Adult if the story is worth my time.
    Good stories crossing boundaries, but still not appealing all the time. I've heard Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man/Parker run was great. I read a couple storylines & they were okay...but I never felt they were for me.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Good stories crossing boundaries, but still not appealing all the time. I've heard Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man/Parker run was great. I read a couple storylines & they were okay...but I never felt they were for me.

M

But, see, you actually tried it before you came to that conclusion. You didn't automatically write it off beforehand simply because it was targeted at new readers. If people only read books or watched movies they knew were targeted to them, and never tried anything that might fall outside of that zone, we'd just end up with tons of sequels. No one would try to create anything differ...

Wait a minute...