Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    chrisw said:

I'd like to see the reboot and its inevitable sequels revisit Doom, do the Negative Zone/Annihilus, introduce the Inhumans, take on the Frightful Four or real Skrulls, even Molecule Man if it was done interestingly... Really I just want a cool adventure movie in the style of 80's Spielberg, only about a super-powered family. Maybe less of the usual "villain set to destroy everything mankind holds dear" plot that had been reused in CBMs for the decades, but that goes for all comic book movies.

This is interesting, there is a lot more to this franchise than I originally thought. It would be fantastic if the next movie drew more from the Lee Kirby incarnation.

I may be wrong, but I think Marvel Studios owns the Inhumans. I know a rumor about them planning an Inhumans film pops up every few months.

DO THEY REALLY?
  • Options
    spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/01/24/fantastic-four-casting-call-hints-at-big-changes/

Not the casting, but the concept... Just awful... government weapons? Obviously none of these people at Fox have even the most remote understanding of what the FF is. Well, I guess they get that there are four of them...
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The idea that the four did not get their powers at the same time and place bothers me. I can handle tweaks to origins but having The Fantastic Four created this way doesn't seem right..it ignores something that should always be there..a group of friends, a future family, receiving their powers together.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I wouldn't be surprised if that synopsis turns out to be bunk. It sounds like something someone casting heard third-hand. I mean, we'll see, but at this point in the process the likelihood that the studio would be loose on actual plot details seems unlikely. Especially when general plot synopses don't actually have much utility in casting actors. Rather, real effort is put into describing the roles they want to fill (the breakdowns) so that representatives know which of their people to pitch.
  • Options
    David_D said:
    The article also points out that he has debunked things about the movie that have turned out to be true. Specifically the Miles Teller rumor. So who knows.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    As long as the images of created Lee-Kirby and Byrne are burned in my memory I will never be completely satisfied by an FF film. I may get flashes like Evan's Johnny Storm but I don't think I will get a proper Doom.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

I'm good either way. I'd rather have a live-action film, but I don't have any problem with a Pixar version. The one thing Pixar would have in its favor is that it would be likely to have a better written script.

Agree 100%
  • Options
    Jaimie Bell as The Thing? Maybe Benji Grimm... And Kate Mara in anything? When Michael B Jordan as Johnny Storm is the best casting I just gotta say image

I'M OUT
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Zero interest at this point.

Show me a good trailer, and I'll give the film a look. Until then, I'll assume that FOX still just doesn't know what to do with the property.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited February 2014
    I don't know who any of those people cast as the FF are.
  • Options
    Fun Fact: Kata Mara, in addition to her acting career, is NFL royalty. She is the great granddaughter of both Tim Mara, the founder of my beloved New York football Giants, and Art Rooney, founder of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I don't care if the Storms are "people of color". However I would prefer that they remain brother and sister.

I soooo wanted an FF reboot to get the "1st Class" treatment. It seemed a no-brainer to me.
  • Options
    rebis said:

I don't care if the Storms are "people of color". However I would prefer that they remain brother and sister.

I soooo wanted an FF reboot to get the "1st Class" treatment. It seemed a no-brainer to me.

I think First Class was an anomaly.

It must have slipped under FOX's radar while nobody was meddling.
  • Options
    Miles Teller as Reed Richards? Billy Elliot as the Thing? Interesting ways to go... not interesting in a way I'd want to watch. Why will Hollywood not respect 60+ years of source material that established the Marvel Universe? Why not go back to the classic Lee & Kirby books and capture those elements that made the Fantastic Four work, but for a modern audience? While I'd love for the production design to be based off Jack Kirby's style, this is all wishful thinking now. The last two FF films bombed for various reasons, so FOX is returning to the well with an entirely different cup.

As originally conceived, Reed Richards was a middle-aged, over-zealous, genius scientist who convinces his girlfriend, her brother, and his best bud to join him on an important - yet illegal space mission, something goes wrong, and the consequences result in everybody being altered. Though their new abilities can help the world, they are also a curse, such as with Ben Grimm, and this causes tension within the family dynamic. They aren't supposed to be government weapons, they're family first, and then they're heroes.

In regards to the modern trend of race-switching or race-bending an established character, in this case Johnny Storm, the few people who actually go into a comic shop as a result of seeing this film to pick up an FF comic book are likely to be somewhat confused. Marvel probably won't do what they did with Nick Fury to the Human Torch - unless they surprise me. But if they are making Sue and Johnny adopted siblings or step brother and sister, what's the point exactly? If anything, why not make Sue black too? And at the risk of being labelled a "racist troll", I wonder why FOX opted not to have a mixed-race couple headlining their major superhero family film? Why else would they cast Johnny and Sue as different races? My feeling is that an actress like Stacey Dash have made just as great a Sue Storm. The decision to go with Kate Mara makes the casting of Jessica Alba seem downright inspired...
    Stacey Dash

Maybe MARVEL/Disney can use the "Hank Pym is an old guy" excuse to bring Black Goliath into the mix as Giant Man in the Avengers. Either way, I'd prefer the studios promote current black heroes than randomly changing the ethnicity of existing characters. It's just confusing.

I'm firmly in the camp that believes that the cast NOT being big name actors could actually be a good thing. FOX is clearly banking on Trank to make this work - and probably on the cheap (which could explain the relatively unknown cast). While I enjoyed Chronicle, I still feel like whatever Hollywood believes the FF is supposed to be - it isn't for me. My first reaction to all of these news tidbits and bow these head-shots is "Fantastic 90210"?! Perhaps the casting of Doc Doom (if he even, or she even, is set to appear in this rebooted universe) will cause me to reconsider, but in the end, part of me is hoping this film tanks at the box office so that the FF rights will revert back to Marvel/Disney in order for Galactus to be worked back into Marvel's Cinematic Universe properly - Marvel Cosmic!

• Options
    Based on the interwebs Michael B. Jordan can wake up this morning knowing he is no longer the sole brunt of fanboy rage. Put me in charge of casting I definitely would have had a different cast. Everyone looks younger than me now. I thought the would have went for people in their 30's.

I am as big of a continuity nut like most people.

They still have a lot they can do with this film. Villain casting is still key. Doom and Cloud Galactus killed the other two FF movies more than anything. What is the Ben and Johnny relationship going to be like? They are the same age now and it was generational Will Johnny be a punk? Will updated CGI make it look better?

The FF and Spidey were my first comics. I will never see a Lee-Kirby influenced movie because they don't make the movie for comic fans. They just don't. I know my son will want to see it so we'll go.
  • Options
    Just showed the photos of the new cast to my 10 year old and basically he doesn't give a shit. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    OK.

Here's the FF film I would have pitched.

Start with a 10-minute TV news feature on the 50th anniversary of the mysterious disappearance of the FF, including old footage of their Space-Age origin, fights with the Mole Man, and a grainy, partially glimpsed Galactus, mention their unfortunate clashes with Dr. Doom. End with shot of Baxter Building.

Cut to the middle of a fight in the Negative Zone involving a still-young FF, reveal Sue as pregnant. Bulk of story deals with war with Annihilus, and Sue's delivery of Franklin.

Movie ends with FF emerging in 21st Century Earth, shock twist discovery that Doom now rules most of the world, including the USA.

EDIT: "Today's" Earth should be very much an early 60's view of the 21st Century. Flying cars, jet packs, food pills, moving sidewalks, etc. Doom rules not by conquest, but economically, as he has co-opted Richards inventions, and built an apparent Utopia. Sequels would involve peeling away the shiny surface to expose the ugliness underneath, and eventually involve crazy travels in time and space, alliances with the Mole Man, and a particularly ill-timed return of Galactus.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited February 2014
    Calls race-bending a trend.
    Picks a mixed race actress that isn't too dark.
    Thinks mixed race siblings can only be adopted or step siblings.

Nah. No racism going on there.

Concerning the ages, it's the Ultimate line FF. Frankly, it's exactly how the Ultimate line should've looked from the get go. All New Ultimates and FF are catching up to what they should've done years ago. And now the movies will reflect that.

Good. If younger kids can see the President and Olympians and best selling musicians and top actors and say 'that can be me', it should be no different for their fictional heroes including Spider-Man, Flash and the Fantastic Four.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    At least you're consistent Peter.

Wrong, but consistent. I guess when you're unable to properly answer any of the 7+ questions in my comment with logic or reason, you default to name-calling in order to make yourself appear (to yourself) superior or witty. There was nothing racist in my post. Unless wishing casting choices could respect 60+ years of source material is racist now, which it isn't. That's how self righteousness internet losers respond to any comment about race that they don't agree with, such as race bending being a trend in comics these days. I suspect that you're better than that.

Furthermore, if this is the Ultimates universe now, will teenage Reed Richards turn evil and start taking over multiple universes in this new film franchise? How adorable. The Ultimate line is an experimental take on these characters, and it may work, but why should we all be confident that FOX even knows how to handle this property in the first place? Did you SEE the last two FF films? And when it comes to race, didn't they kill off the the black X-Man first (Darwin) in their prior super-team film (X-Men: First Class)? So, I'm not surprised they are clueless about race or Marvel properties overall.

As a matter of fact, I think Jordan is the best casting choice of the bunch. Re-read my last post with that in mind and maybe you'll understand better where I'm coming from. I don't really care who they cast for Sue, but why not make her black too?

[re-read to be sure I didn't appear to be yelling]
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Michael B Jordan is a fantastic actor so I'm on board

I don't care for Reed or Sue much at all so who plays them doesn't factor in that much for me, I'm much more concerned with how The Thing will look. And if Torch and Thing have the right chemistry it'll work for me
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Yup. I'm wrong. I didn't call for the movie to tank because it makes me uncomfortable. But I'm wrong. I'm not the one who thinks mixed race siblings can only be adopted or step siblings. But I'm wrong.

Or I'm very very right.
  • Options
    No. Still wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Called for the movie to tank because it makes me uncomfortable? Or because I want Marvel to have their properties back so they can be handled properly (i.e. Dr. Doom, Galactus, and the Kree)? Yep, it's the latter.

And I never said mixed race siblings couldn't be adopted or step-siblings. You suggested I said that for your straw man argument. I just asked why they didn't go ahead and make Sue Storm black. You have no good answer for that either so step down and stop flaming the thread with your self-righteous, negative attitude - please.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Fun Fact: Kata Mara, in addition to her acting career, is NFL royalty. She is the great granddaughter of both Tim Mara, the founder of my beloved New York football Giants, and Art Rooney, founder of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

She's the sister of Mara Rooney (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo), was in Zoom!, and played the US Marshal who served Tony in Iron Man 2.

M
  • Options
    For all the people who see the movie and run to the comic stores to buy FF comics and are confused by Johnny I am sure that someone will explain the situation to all three people.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Matt said:

She's the sister of Mara Rooney (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo), was in Zoom!, and played the US Marshal who served Tony in Iron Man 2.

M
    As well as playing opposite Markie Mark in Shooter and having a pretty key role in the Netflix series House of Cards.