Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Trade/Hardcover/OGN you read this week

Comments

• Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174
    @Kilmarock, I saw that and was going to get it in trade. So it was good? Who wrote and draw it? What was the art like?
    @JohnathanConstantine Red Skull: Incarnate is good, solid. I'm reluctant to say call it great but it was worth my time and money. It was written by Greg Pak and drawn by Mirko Colak. The art is very good, clean. It looks like Colak put a lot of effort into this book.

Worth saying: The Red Skull only appears on the covers. This is about the young man who becomes the Red Skull. So it is about his development and the choices he made along the way to becoming Hitler's right hand man. There are no superheroes or superpowers in this story.

Pak did a lot of research for this. There are scenes in every chapter that take place at the same time and place as real world events. There are six pages of end notes that provide further explanations of the context in which the story is taking place. This really did a lot to heighten my enjoyment of this story.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

Also, I'm going to mention Ichiro again. I'm going to keep bringing it up until at least one person checks it out. It is too good to be the only person that read it and it is starting to drive me mad :)
    :-t You did it! You made me do it! Looked it up on the interwebs. Loved the previews...broke down and ordered the damn book X_X
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I promise you will be here shouting about it too as soon as you are even half-way through.
  • Options
    The first volume of the Darwyn Cooke/Ed Brubaker Catwoman.
    What a mind-blowing bunch of stories. I can't wait for volume 2.
  • Options
    I just finished reading Usagi Yojimbo: The Special Edition. Such a beautiful collected edition of the first 7 volumes of the series.
  • Options
    "Monsters are just like us" by Super Ugly. I never knew how much I had in common with monsters. Great art, can't wait for more!!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Legion of Monsters, from Marvel, by Dennis Hopeless and Juan Doe. A very funny, cool story that centers around Elsa Bloodstone(very much in her Agent of HATE look/personality).
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    The wait finally paid off... didnt get Avengers Prime in issues, and passed on the Marvel Premier HC (cause i refuse to pay that much for non-oversized books)... so I finally read it in the Avengers Heroic Age OHC... it was a good read. Alan Davis's art doesn't miss...
  • Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    Not a real graphic novel, but I finally read Alan Moore's proposal for Twilight, which was proposed as a huge DC event to follow up Crisis. It's a long, 20 page, single spaced document.

Interestingly, several of the ideas in here have found their way into other DC stories over the years. It's kind of a Dark Knight/Watchmen conclusion to the entire DC universe. Interesting stuff:

Twilight of the Super Heroes
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Last night I read
    Subculture tpb - this is the trade that leads into the Subculture webstrips. This was the first time I've read the original series and loved it.
    Subculture vol 1 The Wrath of Geek - I love the Subculture Webstrips and this is a great collection.
  • Options
    I'm on a roll with my evening reading right
    Subculture vol 2 Die Harder - read SubCulture fools. It's free on the interwebs

Wonder Woman vol 1 Gods and Mortals - This kicks off George Perez's Post Crisis WW. For as much as I bag on Wonder Woman for not being a real character and a girl's lunchbox, this was really good. I'm looking forward to reading volumes 2-4 now.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Chugging through the Compleat Terminal City this week from Dark Horse, originally published by Vertigo. Good stuff!
    I remember really liking that as it was coming out. I love that whole 1930s World's Fair view of the future, and that book did a really great job using that sort of world as a backdrop. Damn, now I want to go read that again! :))
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @Kilmarock, I saw that and was going to get it in trade. So it was good? Who wrote and draw it? What was the art like?
    @JohnathanConstantine Red Skull: Incarnate is good, solid. I'm reluctant to say call it great but it was worth my time and money. It was written by Greg Pak and drawn by Mirko Colak. The art is very good, clean. It looks like Colak put a lot of effort into this book.

Worth saying: The Red Skull only appears on the covers. This is about the young man who becomes the Red Skull. So it is about his development and the choices he made along the way to becoming Hitler's right hand man. There are no superheroes or superpowers in this story.

Pak did a lot of research for this. There are scenes in every chapter that take place at the same time and place as real world events. There are six pages of end notes that provide further explanations of the context in which the story is taking place. This really did a lot to heighten my enjoyment of this story.
    Is it fair to say that it was comics' Best Nazi Coming of Age Story of 2011?

(I will admit I voted for it sight unseen.)
  • Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174

Is it fair to say that it was comics' Best Nazi Coming of Age Story of 2011?

(I will admit I voted for it sight unseen.)
    Yes!
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    I just finished Pistolwhip by Matt Kindt. I've enjoyed all of Matt's work and this was no exception.

It's published by Top Shelf. Be sure to check it out.

Bry
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Elektra: Assassin - I love all things Frank Miller and for the longest time hated all things Bill Siencevicz (he screwed up my New Mutants back when I was too young to appreciate how cool his stuff really was). It amazes me that it's taken me this long to get ahold of this book - and wow am I having a great time reading it. Everyone's favorite greek ninja is less a central character as much as she is a force of nature that those around her have to react to, and the visuals are just awesome. I'm glad I sprung for the Premiere HC version of this one - it's going to be on my shelf (re-read many times) until I die.
  • Options
    @Torchsong same here (except I always loved his art so I never had a bad experience) this has been on my shelf since it just recently shipped and I plan to devour it this weekend! It sits on my "A" shelf though already which is reserved for the absolute best of the best.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Elektra: Assassin - I love all things Frank Miller and for the longest time hated all things Bill Siencevicz (he screwed up my New Mutants back when I was too young to appreciate how cool his stuff really was). It amazes me that it's taken me this long to get ahold of this book - and wow am I having a great time reading it. Everyone's favorite greek ninja is less a central character as much as she is a force of nature that those around her have to react to, and the visuals are just awesome. I'm glad I sprung for the Premiere HC version of this one - it's going to be on my shelf (re-read many times) until I die.
    Story is that Miller & Sienkiewicz kept passing the story back and forth and it kept getting more bombastic with every pass. I love this book. Made me fall in love with Sienkiewicz's art. Why can't all Elektra stories be this awesome.

Sidebar, did anyone read Holy Terror by Miller? I've read it and its obvious it was meant to be a batman series. Don't know why DC didn't publish it.
  • Options
    So this week I've read - The Complete Ro-Busters from 2000AD/Rebellion, Rachel Rising vol 1, and Spidey & New Warriors: Hero Killers.
    Best for me was Rachel Rising, by a wide margin. The story was intriguing,the characters likeable and the artwork was excellent. I made decision to read in Trade form but may now switch to digital issues.
    Ro-busters was a slog if I'm honest. Some really nice old-school artwork, and a few excellent stories contained within, but I think the sheer size of the volume affected the ability to enjoy it fully.
    And the Spidey/New Warriors book was average across all fronts. Early Scott McDaniel art looking nothing like the work I enjoyed on Daredevil and then Nightwing, and a story that didn't connect with me.

• Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Read a few things this week worth recommending:

The Cold War TPB by IDW and John/Byrne. If you're a James Bond fan, you'll dig this.
    Drops of God, Vol. 3: One of my favorite manga right now. The art is striking, and I am learning a lot about wine! :)
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I just read Neil Young's Greendale, this week. It's by Josh Dysart (Unknown Soldier) & Cliff Chiang. It was decent, but not great. Very eco-friendly, if you like that (not saying I don't! :^). And the art was nice, if not spectacular.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Only 1/4 through but I have begun my Bendis/Maleev Daredevil trades... WOW! Seriously I have no idea how I had missed these this long purely for the art alone. Those watercolors are ridiculous! I am loving it.
  • Options
    Only 1/4 through but I have begun my Bendis/Maleev Daredevil trades... WOW! Seriously I have no idea how I had missed these this long purely for the art alone. Those watercolors are ridiculous! I am loving it.
    Enjoy the Bendis & Brubaker runs.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Story is that Miller & Sienkiewicz kept passing the story back and forth and it kept getting more bombastic with every pass. I love this book. Made me fall in love with Sienkiewicz's art. Why can't all Elektra stories be this awesome.
    Yep. You're hearing it here first folks - Elektra:Assassin is one of the 10 greatest graphic novels I've ever read. I have fallen in love will Miller, Comics, and great writing all over again (and I realize just how much farther I have to go before I can call myself "decent" :) ).

• Options
    This weekend with my wife away I read 2 fun DC Comics Presents (the 100 page reprints)
    DCCP Elsewords - this was a reprint of a bunch of elseworlds tales that included Kyle Baker Superbabysitting story. It had enough winners to make it a good read.
    DCCP Metal Men - this reprinted the Metal Men back-ups from the 2009 Doom Patrol series. I really liked this one.
  • Options
    Ichiro. Simply stunning art and a great story. This is way under the radar but really should have been on everyone's list.
    @Zhurrie

Also, I'm going to mention Ichiro again. I'm going to keep bringing it up until at least one person checks it out. It is too good to be the only person that read it and it is starting to drive me mad :)
    :-t You did it! You made me do it! Looked it up on the interwebs. Loved the previews...broke down and ordered the damn book X_X
    Ok, me too. On my first look I just found the cover and didn't dig any farther, but this time I checked out the preview on Amazon, and now Ichiro's on my to-read list.
  • Options
    Great! The art is simply stunning and it has a great mix of real Japanese mythology, truth/history and a good story. If this art had been done in a more high-profile book or by a better known artist the buzz would be everywhere. I'd love to hear what both of you think when you finish it!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The best, and only, trade I read this week was Uncanny X-Force Volume 4: The Dark Angel Saga Book 2.

The entire Dark Angel Saga was a good story but I can't help but wonder what all the hype was about?
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Yep. You're hearing it here first folks - Elektra:Assassin is one of the 10 greatest graphic novels I've ever read. I have fallen in love will Miller, Comics, and great writing all over again (and I realize just how much farther I have to go before I can call myself "decent" :) ).

I can remember reading Elektra:Assassin back when it was first out and hating it. But I was also very young. Over the years Sienkiewicz has become one of my favorite artist. And EA is in my top 15 comics of all time.

• Options

I can remember reading Elektra:Assassin back when it was first out and hating it. But I was also very young. Over the years Sienkiewicz has become one of my favorite artist. And EA is in my top 15 comics of all time.
    I think that a lot of people had the same reaction to Kirby (I know I did) as you did to Sienkiewicz. The art was so jarring and different from what we are used to and from real life itself that it causes a sort of conflict. Then you start to see what they are trying to do and then the clouds part and a light shines down in epiphany.