Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC's new 52 - A success or a predictable, total disaster?

12346»

Answers

• Options
    PommykiwiPommykiwi Posts: 25
    After reading Marvel only for about 25 years, I decided (after listening to CGS) to dip my toe into DC. I started reading Green Lantern, GL Corps, Booster Gold, Flash, Birds of Prey and Gotham City Sirens. Then, a few months later, they announce Flashpoint and the DCnu. I figured it was a good jumping off point.

However, interest took hold and I thought I'd give it a go. Since then, I now collect: Green Lantern, GL Corps, GL New Guardians, Red Lanterns, JL, JLI, Batman, Batgirl, Batwoman, Barwing, The Flash, Teen Titans, Legion Lost, Superboy, Supergirl and Wonder Woman. So, I guess I'm the reader that DC were aiming this at. :-)

Still a Marvel zombie though and even though it worked for DC, I would NOT want a complete re-launch of the Marvel Universe. So, maybe I can relate to how the long-term DC Universe readers felt about post-Flashpoint too.
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    When the New 52 came out...I bought the majority of the first issues. Probably 95% of them. ..and that was it. The ones that grabbed me, like 'Action Comics' and 'Wonder Woman', I'm going to buy as trades.

I haven't bought any single issues since. I've switched to being a total trade guy. So, to get me in the store each week...it's failed. But, to get me buying more DC trades, It's a success.

As for digital, I won't purchase anything digital unless I'm able to view the comic without a second party software to view it. I don't believe in companies having a stranglehold over content that you paid for and is yours.

That's why I use 'Clickwheel.net' for 2000ad issues. The download is a .cbr file or a hi-res pdf. Perfect.

So, I do think, for me, the New DCU is 50/50. It has gotten me to buy more DC trades. But I do know that overall, it is pretty successful...because i know a few fans that have doubled or tripled their DC buying. So, they must be doing something right.

• Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    hmm... so some of you are griping about how the old favorites are different? i understand the need to make a mark and change the characters a bit since this was supposedly a fresh start.

let them run with it, i say!

if they let Superman eventually revert to the old, familiar version, then what's the point?
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    hmm... so some of you are griping about how the old favorites are different? i understand the need to make a mark and change the characters a bit since this was supposedly a fresh start.

let them run with it, i say!

if they let Superman eventually revert to the old, familiar version, then what's the point?
    I agree to a certain point. What many people tend to forget is that characters are always changing. Its what makes them interesting. Dynamic characters are just flat out more interesting. What many people are upset about is that Superman seems like he is just throwing away all his values. I think this observation is a little off. Yes his values has changed more towards the fight for social justice and he is not afraid to hit first if the situation deems it necessary. I like this change but the writers also need to be careful how much they change him otherwise it will seem like Superman is just out of character. I think the people who don't like the new 52 are more afraid of the possibility that the writers might stray from the path and up with a universe like image comics in the 90's.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Good for them.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Link blocked at work for me - what it say?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Link blocked at work for me - what it say?
    It's a Newsarama article interiewing shop owners, every one of whom is selling more comics than this time last year.