Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Basically, this year there are five or six teams with a great chance to win it all, and 20-30 teams that have a decent shot at it if they get hot and have some favorable match-ups along the way. The depth and quality of talent between the 3-seeds all the way down to the 12-seeds is negligible.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I love the tournament. Upsets. Buzzer beats. Sports will always remain the best reality show.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    mwhitt80 said:

aquatroy said:

fredzilla said:

aquatroy said:

Not to bring the discussion down, but has anyone been through recovery from heart failure. I need someone that I can compare notes with.

Aw geez. Sorry to hear. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a year and a half ago. I've brought my weight down some, but it's even harder to lose weight with diabetes than without. I've been doing pretty good. No regular blood tests yet.

Unfortunately, I can't help. Since my uncle and grandfather both died from heart attacks, I'm doing my best to avoid that.
    Fred,
    I'm sorry to hear about that.
    I didn't have a heart attack. I went through something called Viral Cardiomyopathy. Which I think is Latin for "We don't know what happened so we'll blame it on a virus.
    Geez. I'm glad you are still posting. I got nothing on heart failure, just ridiculously high blood pressure.
    fredzilla said:

aquatroy said:

fredzilla said:

aquatroy said:

Not to bring the discussion down, but has anyone been through recovery from heart failure. I need someone that I can compare notes with.

Aw geez. Sorry to hear. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a year and a half ago. I've brought my weight down some, but it's even harder to lose weight with diabetes than without. I've been doing pretty good. No regular blood tests yet.

Unfortunately, I can't help. Since my uncle and grandfather both died from heart attacks, I'm doing my best to avoid that.
    Fred,
    I'm sorry to hear about that.
    I didn't have a heart attack. I went through something called Viral Cardiomyopathy. Which I think is Latin for "We don't know what happened so we'll blame it on a virus.
    Still sounds scary. I'm glad you're okay. Nothing like a medical scare to remind you of your mortality. As far as my Type 2, it's my own fault. Years of bad eating and sedentary lifestyle will have that effect. As I said, I'm working on it and I think I'll be around for a while.
    It is a bit scary.
    The one silver lining is that the doctors found no evidence of heart disease. So, there's every possibility that my heart will fully recover and I will get back to doing everything I was before the virus attacked me.
  • Options
    Boy, it's been quiet here. I guess everyone is still binge-watching Daredevil?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

Almost done. Got two episodes left. I thought I was desensitized to violence after watching The Walking Dead. DD season 2 makes TWD seem like Teletubbies.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    So I realized I am a giant podcast nerd. I saw Hardcore

Just been busy.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

I haven't even started! Yes, it's killing me (Wife wants to watch with me and won't let me watch it without her. Makes for difficult scheduling.)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I haven't even started! Yes, it's killing me (Wife wants to watch with me and won't let me watch it without her. Makes for difficult scheduling.)
    I haven't even watched Season 1 yet, but have no time. And I have to schedule around my family. Too violent for my daughter, and my wife, who is a comic book fan, has no interest in this one.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited March 2016

Torchsong said:

I haven't even watched Season 1 yet, but have no time. And I have to schedule around my family. Too violent for my daughter, and my wife, who is a comic book fan, has no interest in this one.
    You need to get off these forums and get on Netflix. Let me help, Eric: https://www.netflix.com/title/80018294

• Options

Torchsong said:

You need to get off these forums and get on Netflix. Let me help, Eric: https://www.netflix.com/title/80018294
    I have Netflix, I just have too much to do. And to be quite honest, I have other things I'd rather watch first, and more importantly other things I'd rather read first.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I haven't read much of the Doom Patrol..usually only when they pop up in other books. The other day I was at B&N and bought Morrison's Doom Patrol Vol 1 on a whim. I'm about four "issues" in and it is one weird book. It's interesting because in the forward(which originally appeared in an issue of the comic) he says he wanted to bring back the weirdness to the book. I think he did just that..although I haven't read what came before I can't imagine it was near Morrison's level of oddness. To be fair, this is actually pretty tame to what he has done in other books but I'd bet at the time it was considered a wacky book. Good stuff, though, and I'm looking forward to reading more.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I haven't been able to watch Daredevil season 2. My housesitting gig ended a day later than originally planned, and because of that everything I've had planned out had to be shifted back.

Namely writing the script for my Rai volume 1 review (this includes desperately searching for what little information I could find on the Unity crossover). On top of that, I plan on seeing Dawn of Justice this weekend.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I haven't read much of the Doom Patrol..usually only when they pop up in other books. The other day I was at B&N and bought Morrison's Doom Patrol Vol 1 on a whim. I'm about four "issues" in and it is one weird book. It's interesting because in the forward(which originally appeared in an issue of the comic) he says he wanted to bring back the weirdness to the book. I think he did just that..although I haven't read what came before I can't imagine it was near Morrison's level of oddness. To be fair, this is actually pretty tame to what he has done in other books but I'd bet at the time it was considered a wacky book. Good stuff, though, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

I came to Doom Patrol well into Morrison's run. Issue #34 was my first issue, and I couldn't have started with a better issue—it's still my favorite of the entire series. And, yes, it was pretty wild for the time, being one of the forerunners and “founding fathers” of the Vertigo imprint. The first piece of original art I bought was a page from the “Brotherhood of Dada” storyline.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

It's weird for the silver age dc. It would be weird for Marvel at the time, but you can't really compare Morrison weird to Drake weird.

I really like GM's Doom Patrol, but I really like Morrison.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

It's weird for the silver age dc. It would be weird for Marvel at the time, but you can't really compare Morrison weird to Drake weird.

Silver Age DP was weird for its time, but it was a very different kind of weird—a much tamer, goofy kind of weird as opposed to Morrison’s unconventional, surreal kind of weird. And, yeah, Marvel wasn't doing anything remotely like it at the time, and wouldn’t for another ten years.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

I have Netflix, I just have too much to do. And to be quite honest, I have other things I'd rather watch first, and more importantly other things I'd rather read first.

My bad. I was under the impression that you had some interest in watching Daredevil.
  • Options

My bad. I was under the impression that you had some interest in watching Daredevil.
    I do have some interest, but I've got enough grim in my life as it is, so that kind of stuff generally gets pushed down my entertainment list.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    This is the page I own in its printed form. All of the type in the second panel is physically on the page in the form of cut-out paste-overs.

• Options
    edited March 2016

mwhitt80 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Silver Age DP was weird for its time, but it was a very different kind of weird—a much tamer, goofy kind of weird as opposed to Morrison’s unconventional, surreal kind of weird. And, yeah, Marvel wasn't doing anything remotely like it at the time, and wouldn’t for another ten years.
    Agreed. Doom Patrol's bad guys were odd too.

People love making Doom Patrol/XMen comparisons. They were basically created at the same time and are similar on a surface level, but those Doom Patrol issues were so much better than the XMen.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    So I'm a big fan of kickstarter. I've decided 95% of all gadgets on kickstater solve problems that don't exist, or try to solve problems that do exist with products that are either exactly same or not as good as products already on market.
  • Options
    I like to have a little bit of a layover between flight, but three hours is a bit more time than I care to spend in the Dallas airport.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I like to have a little bit of a layover between flight, but three hours is a bit more time than I care to spend in the Dallas airport.

I don't fly often, but last year I had to fly out to Columbus Ohio for a funeral (right in the middle of my busy season at work). I paid 2x to get a direct flights out of Atlanta.I hate layovers.

I did have a nice flight out. I was sitting beside a member of University of Arizona gymnastic team (I was right in the middle of the whole team). I couldn't complain.

The flight back I was sitting next to this 19 year old girl who had never flown. She was scared out of her mind; I talked her through the whole flight.
  • Options
    I don't book the flights, but I do have a direct flight home. On the plus side, it worked out that I was able to go first class for the trip out, so that's been nice.
  • Options
    Wow. Look at you all Mr. Important flying first class. Too good for us plebes. ;)

Going to WonderCon?
  • Options
    Yep. Believe it or not, this is my first time flying first class. It's bringing back memories of when meals used to be served for free in coach.
  • Options
    I was thinking the comic series 52. I read it 4/5 years ago and can't remember anything about it other than I liked it. I skimmed the wiki there are whole plots I completely forgot about.

Maybe I will pull it back out one day.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Yep. Believe it or not, this is my first time flying first class. It's bringing back memories of when meals used to be served for free in coach.

My mom used to work for an airline's call center and that meant we could fly first class(stand by) for $30/person.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Happy Easter!

My basket had a Dark Knight Returns Batman figure in it. There wasn't an establishment loving Superman for him to punch so the Peeps got the worst of it.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    My in-laws know me well. They got me a My Little Pony card-matching game. I'm 46.

I'm never going to live this down, am I? :)