Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited March 2016
    Had the opportunity to sample an assortment of B Nektar ciders and meads this weekend. Thoughts as follows:

Zombie Killer - this is my favorite of the bunch. More cider, less mead plus cherry.

Dwarf Invasion - also quite tasty with similar flavor profile to Zombie Killer but as a mead. I need to do a side by side tasting.

First Cut - a cider with strong lemon and ginger flavor. Very crisp and refreshing.

Necromangocon - mango-black pepper mead. Ok - not a black pepper fan. A little more of the typical mead astringency.

Kill All Golfers - a lemon mead/tea. Basically an alcoholic Arnold Palmer. The most astringent of the bunch. Generally good flavor but a very medicinal aroma.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Is it me, or is it hard to get worked up for this year's Final Four?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited March 2016
    I kind of like this year's Final Four.
    2 Traditional Big East teams which is awesome.

UNC striving for a title that has 96% chance of getting stripped by the NCAA. I love UNC's Attitude toward the NCAA.

And Oklahoma who has been really good this year.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

UNC striving for a title that has 96% chance of getting stripped by the NCAA. I love UNC's Attitude toward the NCAA.

Uh, ONE Big East team...The Orange are ACC now.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

mwhitt80 said:

As one who grew up in North Carolina following the ACC, I can tell you that Syracuse will always be a Big Least team to me.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

They are big least they just pretend to be something else
  • Options
    I have no idea what teams are in what conferences anymore. It's a joke.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Ahh man the Hawks are rolling. I think it's the logo.
  • Options
    Well...time it took to get through the first issue of Youngblood; 23 minutes. I was so exhausted I had to take a nap (bear in mind this was at 3:30 in the afternoon).

Time it took to get through issue 2 of Youngblood...Eight minutes!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Well...time it took to get through the first issue of Youngblood; 23 minutes. I was so exhausted I had to take a nap (bear in mind this was at 3:30 in the afternoon).

WHY are you doing this to yourself man?
  • Options

I drew the first four issues for the next episode of my show.

Why was it in there to begin with?

When I was looking to expand the amount of stories for selection I listed in Alphabetical Order per company (like this: 1 Marvel letter A, 1 DC letter A, & 1 Indie letter A).

And When I got to Y...It was the first thing that I thought of....sadly.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I'm the guy that has defended Rob's place in comics history more than anyone (like Saga write thank you notes to Rob and Todd), but ohhh boy you can't even blast through those early Youngbloods; they're flip books. On the bright side I think you get a flip book of Pitt 1 (which was fun Dale Keown sp?) in one of those first four issues.
  • Options
    Out of all the bad choices made in Youngbloods the one that always aggravates me the most is not putting a string on Shafts bow. You can complain about feet all you want, the string thing always gets me.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Out of all the bad choices made in Youngbloods the one that always aggravates me the most is not putting a string on Shafts bow. You can complain about feet all you want, the string thing always gets me.

Rob didn't have time to be messing around with rulers. Or perspective lines. Or...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    mwhitt80 said:

but ohhh boy you can't even blast through those early Youngbloods; they're flip books.

I should have made this joke:
    Reading issue 1 makes about as much sense backwards and upside down. So yep...

mwhitt80 said:

Rob didn't have time to be messing around with rulers. Or perspective lines. Or...
    Rob was on a tight deadline.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I'm the guy that has defended Rob's place in comics history more than anyone (like Saga write thank you notes to Rob and Todd), but ohhh boy you can't even blast through those early Youngbloods; they're flip books. On the bright side I think you get a flip book of Pitt 1 (which was fun Dale Keown sp?) in one of those first four issues.
    Actually, I'm reading the digital issues on Comixology which I believe are the remastered version on Youngblood. So, I don't know if Pitt is in there or not.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    A question for the historians.

A recent purchase included a stack of Whitman TV licensed comics, one of them being Tom and Jerry #287. Does anyone know if this is a reprint book or original material. The indicia reads, "Authorized Edition". There's a small bit of text on page 1, bottom panel that reads, "90058-410 T&J #287-748"..

I thank you all in advance.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    aquatroy said:

A question for the historians.

A recent purchase included a stack of Whitman TV licensed comics, one of them being Tom and Jerry #287. Does anyone know if this is a reprint book or original material. The indicia reads, "Authorized Edition". There's a small bit of text on page 1, bottom panel that reads, "90058-410 T&J #287-748"..

I thank you all in advance.

Short answer: It's probably all original material.

Long answer: Whitman was an imprint of Western Publishing, as was Gold Key. Throughout most of the '70s, most of Western's comics were printed under both imprints—completely identical content, but with a different logo on the cover and a different line in the indicia. The Gold Key books were sold individually at newsstands, drug stores—basically any store that had a spinner rack. The Whitman books were packed in plastic bags, usually three different comics to a bag, to be sold at toy stores, department stores, etc. They were packaged that way to have a higher price tag, so bigger stores could justify giving them space.

Again, both versions had the same content. I say “probably all original material” because Western did start running reprint material in their books in the ’70s, but it was mostly in the late ’70s. The issue you're asking about was from 1974, so it's probably before the reprint stories started showing up.
  • Options
    Nice! Thank you, Alan!
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

Nice! Thank you, Alan!

No problem. The name's Eric, though.

Yeah, just think of it as a variant cover. I have no idea what the differences in print runs were between the Gold Key and Whitman versions, and I don't know if it makes much difference in value, as the ’70s T&J comics can usually be found for $2 or less.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

aquatroy said:

Nice! Thank you, Alan!

Sure, Alan, sure...

• Options
    My yearly crusade against the fire ants is back on. Exterminated about 10 beds last evening, and hope to get 4/5 more this afternoon.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'm oddly excited for a Brewers season where they're only expected to win 60-65 games. Maybe it's because they're following the Cubs and Astros model
  • Options

aquatroy said:

Nice! Thank you, Alan!

Yeah, just think of it as a variant cover. I have no idea what the differences in print runs were between the Gold Key and Whitman versions, and I don't know if it makes much difference in value, as the ’70s T&J comics can usually be found for $2 or less.
    I'm getting closer. I think I called you Neal last time around.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

Nice! Thank you, Alan!

I'm getting closer. I think I called you Neal last time around.
    I'm sure we'll get there one day. :)
  • Options
    I won't be able to get one the water for at least a month, but Im getting ready.

I'm trying braided line on one of my reels again; I learned a new way to catch bait fish using an artificial bait (going to try). Bought some new saltwater lures.

My two goals for the spring/summer: 1) catch a redfish. 2) catch a king mackerel while fly fishing.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I won't be able to get one the water for at least a month, but Im getting ready.

I'm trying braided line on one of my reels again; I learned a new way to catch bait fish using an artificial bait (going to try). Bought some new saltwater lures.

My two goals for the spring/summer: 1) catch a redfish. 2) catch a king mackerel while fly fishing.

Nice! My goals are to fix a small leak I have in the crotch of my neoprene wadders (mountain water is really cold), and to catch a brown trout using a fly.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

mwhitt80 said:

Nice! My goals are to fix a small leak I have in the crotch of my neoprene wadders (mountain water is really cold), and to catch a brown trout using a fly.
    My goal is to eat a king mackerel and a brown trout, grilled and fried respectively—at the same time! Live big, I say.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

mwhitt80 said:

Been there soaked that... brrr

An interesting Basketball HoF class. I'm not sure if I'm 100% or just 90% happy with it.

Yao has to go in (he really accelerated the popularity of basketball in China) , but his on court time was cut extremely short due to injuries.

Darrell Garretson is a referee. I'm not sure being the best ref in a generation is HoF worthy, but whatever.

Neither one of these inclusions really bother me though.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

aquatroy said:

mwhitt80 said:

My goal is to eat a king mackerel and a brown trout, grilled and fried respectively—at the same time! Live big, I say.
    On sandwiches with a nice crispy piece of lettuce, a tomato slice, and either good hot sauce ( for the fried portion) or a fresh squeezed lemon (for the grilled)

You can also make a heck of a "tuna" salad with the grilled kingfish instead of tuna.

Now I'm thinking about fresh tuna and other seafood. Alan guys stink.