Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Earlier I was at Barnes and Noble just perusing the TPB section. I came across the first trade of the new(ish) Ms. Marvel. I heard great things so I figure give it a look, 10 pages in decided to buy and read the rest at home. And here's the best part, by the end of issue 1 it didn't even occur to me the main character was a Muslim American, because the storytelling was just that good.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited March 2016
    Calvin Johnson is joining Barry Sanders in retirement. Detroit must be a special place to drive both the best running back of his generation and the best wide receiver of his generation into early retirement.

I must be in a salty mood today. I need to read some good comics. I think I have a nice stack of Low and Big Trouble in Little China on the device. Plus Cable & Deadpool is always fun
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I think with Johnson it was just too many injuries. I can't blame people for getting out of the game early if they're able to. We're seeing a lot of the after effects of staying in too long on some of the players.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited March 2016
    Injuries combined with the Lions being the Lions. They had the most wins in a season ever for the Lions in 2014 and then went 7-9 in 2015. There really is no indication that they will be better than last season. When you are already have a history of injuries, why keep getting hurt for a team with no history in your lifetime of winning and no real prospects to get better?
  • Options
    In 2021 your Hall of Fame class could most likely consist of Peyton Manning, Calvin Johnson, Charles Woodson and Marshawn Lynch
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    DAR said:

In 2021 your Hall of Fame class could most likely consist of Peyton Manning, Calvin Johnson, Charles Woodson and Marshawn Lynch

I might have mentioned this before i can't stand the Mannings, not Peyton, not Eli, not Archie, I most likely don't even like the ones that don't play football.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    DAR said:

Probably not, the voters tend not to put in more than two first ballot guys.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Zootopia

Two thumbs up.

Why don't you rub it in their furry little faces that they HAVE NO THUMBS!
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I might have mentioned this before i can't stand the Mannings, not Peyton, not Eli, not Archie, I most likely don't even like the ones that don't play football.

Remind me again why I like you? :)
  • Options
    Who loves ya baby?
  • Options
    Ahh snap
    according to CNN there's an olive oil shortage. I can live without lots of things, but I started using good olive oil about 2 years ago and my life has been changed. I love me some olive oil now. Heck I love olives.

Looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to grow an orchid
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

Ahh snap
    according to CNN there's an olive oil shortage. I can live without lots of things, but I started using good olive oil about 2 years ago and my life has been changed. I love me some olive oil now. Heck I love olives.

Looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to grow an orchid

I've got a small reserve, but you can only stock so much as it does start to deteriorate after about a year. Make sure you keep it in a cool, dark place.
  • Options
    I've been looking for a new vehicle. I've narrowed it down to a 1980's Dodge Rampage or a Subaru Brat
  • Options
    Humblebundle has an audio dramatization of the Lord of the rings and the Hobbit on sale right now
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Humblebundle has an audio dramatization of the Lord of the rings and the Hobbit on sale right now

So do both of my local libraries. The price there is $0.00 (unless you return them late). One of my libraries has both the BBC dramatizations (which are excellent), and straight readings of all the books (which are also quite good).
  • Options
    edited March 2016

mwhitt80 said:

So do both of my local libraries. The price there is $0.00 (unless you return them late). One of my libraries has both the BBC dramatizations (which are excellent), and straight readings of all the books (which are also quite good).
    My saltiness from yesterday must have been contagious. You sir need to go outside and read a good comic on this beautiful day.

I recommend something from Astro City or maybe try the first handful of issues of Wayward Nick Cardy. Or whatever you are feeling.

Edit: I got your Nick Cardy book from Twomorrows recently. That is a great looking hard cover; it really is a great looking book. I'm in the middle of reading another book and as soon as I am done i reading it.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

My saltiness from yesterday must have been contagious. You sir need to go outside and read a good comic on this beautiful day.

I recommend something from Astro City or maybe try the first handful of issues of Wayward. Or whatever you are feeling.
    Wasn't meant to sound salty. I've just listened to them so many times I have little desire to do so again. But would that I could go outside and do anything, comic-reading or otherwise. I've got deadlines slapping me in the face and calling me names.
  • Options
    Hey mentioned it above in an edit but that Nick Cardy book you did looks great. I got it in Monday (along with other Twomorrows books), opened it last night. Once I read it I'll let you know what I think.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Hey mentioned it above in an edit but that Nick Cardy book you did looks great. I got it in Monday (along with other Twomorrows books), opened it last night. Once I read it I'll let you know what I think.

Awesome! I look forward to hearing what you think. And you don't have to pull any punches. I have a relatively thick skin.
  • Options
    Let's be real, if you figure out a way to screw up Cardy art with prose. Well there's new levels of shame being reached ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Did you do any work in Twomorrows Marvel Decades books? Those 3 volumes are fantastic ( well 1960s and 1970s are anyway)
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Let's be real, if you figure out a way to screw up Cardy art with prose. Well there's new levels of shame being reached ;)

The text is all Nick, too. I just got on the phone with him and recorded us talking about the artwork, and then I edited it down. It's all in his voice.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Did you do any work in Twomorrows Marvel Decades books? Those 3 volumes are fantastic ( well 1960s and 1970s are anyway)

I proofread the first one (which turned out to be more of a light edit), but that’s all I did on those. He had the first one pretty much written when he pitched the idea.
  • Options
    University of Kentucky beats Texas A&M to win the SEC Tournament.

NCAA Brackets announced. UK gets a #4 seed. The Aggies get a #3 seed.

Seriously? :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

University of Kentucky beats Texas A&M to win the SEC Tournament.

NCAA Brackets announced. UK gets a #4 seed. The Aggies get a #3 seed.

Seriously? :)

I wish I could get upset about the brackets, but like most sporting events in the great state of Georgia I usually don't have to worry about the post season.
  • Options
    Heck even when the Braves were great I knew we would be in the World Series more often than not.
    That 1991 season was super odd and fun. You could have made a killing gambling that year. Braves Twins world series or twins winning it. To have a time machine and pocketful of 1989 $100s.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited March 2016
    mwhitt80 said:

Heck even when the Braves were great I knew we would be in the World Series more often than not.
    That 1991 season was super odd and fun. You could have made a killing gambling that year. Braves Twins world series or twins winning it. To have a time machine and pocketful of 1989 $100s.

Being an 11 year old baseball fan from Minnesota in 1991 was pretty special. Every night of that WS was a huge event at our house. It's all anyone talked about at school and it seemed like nothing else mattered.

• Options
    As an 11 year old Braves when it happened; I know the feeling.
    I still can't stand you cheating SoBs. Some grudges are worth keeping from when you were 11.
  • Options
    I was reading some reviews of the hotel I'm staying at for my Mexico trip, not that I need validation it's the third time going back. But I was amazed about the complaints regarding WIFI that it was extra or spotty. To me that's good. You're in the Caribbean. You have the sun, ocean and countless pools, you can log off the internet for a week. Something I'm very much looking forward to doing.