Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I would love to see Amazons profile on me based on my buying history with them.

I bet it would be 70%- 75% dead on. There are some things (like clothes, kayaking/outdoor stuff, hunting/fishing stuff) I don't even browse with them.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    mwhitt80 said:

As an 11 year old Braves when it happened; I know the feeling.
    I still can't stand you cheating SoBs. Some grudges are worth keeping from when you were 11.

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited March 2016
    mwhitt80 said:

I would love to see Amazons profile on me based on my buying history with them.

I bet it would be 70%- 75% dead on. There are some things (like clothes, kayaking/outdoor stuff, hunting/fishing stuff) I don't even browse with them.

I have been looking at the Amazon Recommendations pages for my account. The paper books and kindle section recommendations are pretty accurate based on my history.

A lot of the movie section recommendations make no sense. I have no idea what I have bought in my past to make them think I would want the Twilight Blu Ray set, Hantzel & Gretal Witch Hunter, & every Shakespeare movie ever made.
  • Options
    My daughter loves Daniel Stripped Tiger; that's a good little show.

There was an episode about grown ups leaving for a little bit (work and a date), and they had this little song to help Daniel's anxiety about his parents leaving. That song has helped with my daughter's separation anxiety so much. It was a little bit of a battle for me to leave for work and put her down at night. Once we started singing it, her whole attitude about me leaving changed.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited March 2016
    mwhitt80 said:

There was an episode about grown ups leaving for a little bit (work and a date), and they had this little song to help Daniel's anxiety about his parents leaving. That song has helped with my daughter's separation anxiety so much. It was a little bit of a battle for me to leave for work and put her down at night. Once we started singing it, her whole attitude about me leaving changed.

Score another point for Mr. Rogers.

And for Blue’s Clues (my kids’ favorite growing up) in a way, as one of the producers of that show produces Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Score another point for Mr. Rogers.

And for Blue’s Clues (my kids’ favorite growning up) in a way, as one of the producers of that show produces Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood.
    Your kids are older than mine, but man Daniel Tiger is the next best thing to having Mr. Rogers on TV. The pacing and soothing tone of the show is perfect. Daniel Tiger Sr is Mr. Rogers (in the way he talks and dresses).

My wife watches it with my daughter (they only watch it once or twice a week). My wife hates letting her watch tv, but they both love the show. It is the only kids show they watch.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Not to bring the discussion down, but has anyone been through recovery from heart failure. I need someone that I can compare notes with.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

@mwhitt80 Since you're a Liefeld fan, have you by chance checked out The Covenant? I admit to being somewhat curious about it when I first saw it solicited but not curious enough to pay cover price. Since I do enjoy discount-bin diving would it be worth picking up if I found it in the 75¢ - $1.00 range?

Also, what did you think of Liefeld's short tenure on Prophet? To me that's also a book that presented interesting ideas but sometimes mediocre execution. I have seen almost the entire series in the quarter bins at my LCS and always think about picking them up just to give them a read but I have yet to.

Ah , then I can ask @mwhitt80 ... where's the rest of Youngblood: Bloodsport?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Just when I thought it was safe to think Spring was hers..9-12 inches of snow tomorrow!
  • Options

@mwhitt80 Since you're a Liefeld fan, have you by chance checked out The Covenant? I admit to being somewhat curious about it when I first saw it solicited but not curious enough to pay cover price. Since I do enjoy discount-bin diving would it be worth picking up if I found it in the 75¢ - $1.00 range?

Also, what did you think of Liefeld's short tenure on Prophet? To me that's also a book that presented interesting ideas but sometimes mediocre execution. I have seen almost the entire series in the quarter bins at my LCS and always think about picking them up just to give them a read but I have yet to.

Ah , then I can ask @mwhitt80 ... where's the rest of Youngblood: Bloodsport?
    Probably in Rob's unfinished folder with Image Unitied. The man is like Warren Ellis; they don't like finishing projects.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Also, I believe in at least some of the cases, it is not that Moore has simply passed on what he could be paid, he had
    mwhitt80 said:

We're a big Daniel TIger house, too.

I have to call BS on that "there's potties everywhere" part of the 'When You Have To Go Potty Stop and Go Right Away' song.

If only there were. If only.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Also, I believe in at least some of the cases, it is not that Moore has simply passed on what he could be paid, he had

mwhitt80 said:

We're a big Daniel TIger house, too.

I have to call BS on that "there's potties everywhere" part of the 'When You Have To Go Potty Stop and Go Right Away' song.

If only there were. If only.
    Thankfully, those days are behind me.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    mwhitt80 said:

"Groooooow nups come back."

Been there too. At ages 5 and 10, if my kids don't get their Curious George in the morning before school, it's not going to be a good day.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

Not to bring the discussion down, but has anyone been through recovery from heart failure. I need someone that I can compare notes with.

Aw geez. Sorry to hear. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a year and a half ago. I've brought my weight down some, but it's even harder to lose weight with diabetes than without. I've been doing pretty good. No regular blood tests yet.

Unfortunately, I can't help. Since my uncle and grandfather both died from heart attacks, I'm doing my best to avoid that.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    fredzilla said:

aquatroy said:

Aw geez. Sorry to hear. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a year and a half ago. I've brought my weight down some, but it's even harder to lose weight with diabetes than without. I've been doing pretty good. No regular blood tests yet.

Unfortunately, I can't help. Since my uncle and grandfather both died from heart attacks, I'm doing my best to avoid that.
    Fred,
    I'm sorry to hear about that.
    I didn't have a heart attack. I went through something called Viral Cardiomyopathy. Which I think is Latin for "We don't know what happened so we'll blame it on a virus.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

fredzilla said:

aquatroy said:

Fred,
    I didn't have a heart attack. I went through something called Viral Cardiomyopathy. Which I think is Latin for "We don't know what happened so we'll blame it on a virus.
    Geez. I'm glad you are still posting. I got nothing on heart failure, just ridiculously high blood pressure.
  • Options
    So I was thinking about the title of my yet unwritten first children's book: Queso Problema. It's a great name, that needs a story.

Then it struck me I could also use it as a crime book. About a money heist in Mexico.

The kids book is the way to go, but I like the idea of a Mexican heist. I think I can do something with that idea.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

fredzilla said:

aquatroy said:

Fred,
    Still sounds scary. I'm glad you're okay. Nothing like a medical scare to remind you of your mortality. As far as my Type 2, it's my own fault. Years of bad eating and sedentary lifestyle will have that effect. As I said, I'm working on it and I think I'll be around for a while.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    mwhitt80 said:

So I was thinking about the title of my yet unwritten first children's book: Queso Problema. It's a great name, that needs a story.

Then it struck me I could also use it as a crime book. About a money heist in Mexico.

The kids book is the way to go, but I like the idea of a Mexican heist. I think I can do something with that idea.

You could always blend the two (like some quesos). Make it a children's book (8-12) where kid's mom is dairy free and she orders late takeout nachos with NO cheese. When her son picks it up he barely notices some shady characters hanging around the restaurant. When he gets home they discover the cook had put cheese on mom's nachos. So when he returns to the restaurant he walks into a heist.

Action and hilarity ensue.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

You could always blend the two (like some quesos). Make it a children's book (8-12) where kid's mom is dairy free and she orders late takeout nachos with NO cheese. When her son picks it up he barely notices some shady characters hanging around the restaurant. When he gets home they discover the cook had put cheese on mom's nachos. So when he returns to the restaurant he walks into a heist.

Action and hilarity ensue.
    That's the best.
    I love the name so much, there are tons of great ideas that spring from it.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited March 2016
    In my line of work, we say "all ideas are considered 'good' for at least 15 seconds." That way, several ideas are generated without fear of them being shot down and at least considered long enough to figure out if they're going to work. Hopefully you will generate some good ideas, because I want a t-shirt with that title on it :)
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

That's the best.

I'd say do it as a kid's crime noir thriller.

The city I live in has its good side and its bad side. The good side is everything that makes people want to live here - nice parks, good schools, and everybody has a job. The bad side? Well, that's where I come in.

My name is Queso Problema. Private detective.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

mwhitt80 said:

That's the best.

I'd say do it as a kid's crime noir thriller.

The city I live in has its good side and its bad side. The good side is everything that makes people want to live here - nice parks, good schools, and everybody has a job. The bad side? Well, that's where I come in.

My name is Queso Problema. Private detective.

To tie it in with some earlier posts on PBS children’s programming, I see it as a Word Girl children’s book where she goes up against Doctor Two Brains, who got his hands on some experimental cotija which makes him speak only in Spanish.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    No upsets in the NCAA tournament so far (as of 2 pm central time).
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    We've got one now, Yale topped Baylor.
  • Options

We've got one now, Yale topped Baylor.

A 12-seed upsets a 5-seed almost every year. Is it even fair to keep calling them upsets?
  • Options
    Not a single #12 won last year. Back with a vengeance this year though.
  • Options

Not a single #12 won last year. Back with a vengeance this year though.

Last year was the first time since 2007 it didn't happen. At this point, not having at least one 12-seed win is the anomaly.
  • Options
    Day One
    Two - 12 over 5
    Two - 11 over 6
    Two - 9 over 8