Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I missed the beginning. How did they explain Coulson's lack of death.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    edited September 2013
    rebis said:

He says that he managed to slow his heart rate down to make the Avengers think he had been killed. Fury then sent him to Tahiti for eight weeks...However

Spoiler
    This is revealed to not be the case and the secret is being kept from him

I can't seem to get the spoiler tag to work
  • Options

rebis said:

He says that he managed to slow his heart rate down to make the Avengers think he had been killed. Fury then sent him to Tahiti for eight weeks...However

Spoiler
    This is revealed to not be the case and the secret is being kept from him

I can't seem to get the spoiler tag to work
    "Him" being Coulson?
    That's interesting. The Coulson in SHEILD could be a LMD that eventually becomes

wait for it

THE VISION!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    PLEASE!

Keep the SHIELD spoilers on a different thread.

I've gotta watch it a day late on HULU.
  • Options
    OK. Spoil your asses off now.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Asterix and the Picts set for release despite family feud

Interesting article. Here some excerpts:
    First new Asterix book for eight years is work of new writer-illustrator team opposed by creator Albert Uderzo's daughter

It is the 35th instalment in a series that has sold more than 350m books worldwide and been translated into 111 languages since the first album appeared in 1961.

Asterix and the Picts is slated for a print run of 2m copies in France alone and will be simultaneously released in English, Scots Gaelic and a host of other languages. The huge advertising drive by its publishing house will stress the magnitude of what French academics call the "Asterix phenomenon".
    Jean-Pierre Mercier, scientific adviser at the comics museum in Angoulême, said: "Asterix has gone beyond comic books to become a cultural phenomenon. One survey showed French people a drawing of Asterix's helmet alone and 94% knew what it was. He's as much a part of French general culture as the three musketeers and Victor Hugo: everyone knows the names of the characters even if they haven't read it. The catchphrases have entered the mainstream in French."

Back in the early 70's ASTERIX got me interested in comics. I never quit reading comics.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited September 2013
    Asterix is an acquired taste much like Tintin. I gave it a try 30 or so years ago and it never took. Tried picking up a copy a few years ago and it still did nothing for me.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited September 2013
    WetRats said:

He's totally right.

A three-year cliffhanger?

Screw that!
    I bet if the whole series would've been released today (and the impact of it was known), they would've been filmed in the same fashion as LOTR, with a year wait.

Besides, savor the flavor!

M
  • Options

WetRats said:

He's totally right.

A three-year cliffhanger?

Screw that!
    In general, I agree with Whedon in that any film should be complete in and of itself. However, I agree with @nweathington in that the Star Wars films were intentionally built on an episodic serial model and therefore are exempt from that particular rule. In effect, the entire serial is a single film. Three year wait or not.
    I actually like the idea of trilogies (as opposed to a movie series such as Raimi's 3 Spider-man movie) Its like a TV series having individual episodes but there's a season arch that propelled by each episode (some more then others, unfortunately.)

M
  • Options

Tonebone said:

Tonebone said:

Back to the Future? Kinda? It did say "To Be Continued" and then took four years for the sequel.

Only part 2 said "to be continued...", and the sequel came out 6 months later.
    Part 1 said "to be continued...", part 2 said "to be concluded..."
    I'm sure BTTF 1 did not have a "to be continued" in the theater... maybe they re-released it before BTTF 2, with that added.
    This is entirely possible. I never saw it in the theater, just on video, so I assumed it was always there. I just watched the DVD the other day and it cut to credits immediately after the Delorean flies toward the screen, not a "To Be Continued..." in sight.

Similarly, they changed Gremlins 2 for home video... in the scene where the Gremlins interrupt the showing of the movie, the theatrical version (which they also showed on HBO) has them trying to show a nudie film before Hulk Hogan yells at them from (ostensibly) the movie theater audience. On VHS, it cuts to a "snowy" screen and the Gremlins start inserting themselves into other videos, before (a badly dubbed) black & white John Wayne tells them to knock it off.
    Interesting. So I wonder if by the time BTTF came to video was it determined there would be sequels? I do recall watching it on video (and not in the theater), seeing the "to be continued" and being confused. My dad said it was just a joke, so I was surprised when the sequels came out years later.

M
  • Options

WetRats said:

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai. Talk about hanging on a cliff, I’m still waiting for that sequel. :D

I thought about the long-awaited Buckaroo Banzai vs. The World Crime League, but Across the Eighth Dimension wasn't a cliffhanger*.

*The novelization was. "The death dwarves are detonating!"
    Okay, besides Empire and Back to the Future II, what other movies had cliffhanger endings that were resolved in a planned sequel? I’m drawing a blank. Lord of the Rings, I guess, but it’s not like no one knew how that was going to end up.
    The Matrix.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Its like a TV series having individual episodes but there's a season arch that propelled by each episode (some more then others, unfortunately.)

At the risk of sounding like a seal*

ARC!

Arc! Arc! Arc! Arc! Arc!

ARC!

*Or an asshole.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Its like a TV series having individual episodes but there's a season arch that propelled by each episode (some more then others, unfortunately.)

At the risk of sounding like a seal*

ARC!

Arc! Arc! Arc! Arc! Arc!

ARC!

*Or an asshole.
    Hey, what can I say? My school district was ranked in the bottom half of our state's districts during my tenure!

M
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I got my DCBS order today (always great to get it on a Saturday!) and I was stoked to find that my Batman 23.1 was the 3D cover of the Joker! It was the only 3D book I wanted and ordered, and I was upset when I heard about all the allocations. I never got an email from DCBS though.

I swung by one of the Mile High Comics in Denver the first week they all came out and they had nearly 100 copies of various 2D covers. Yet, I couldn't find any of the 3D on the shelf. I decided not to ask if they had any as they were likely already marked up by about 1,000% (or $30). Happy to have mine. Now, DC, can we cut this gimmick $#!+ out and get back to making comics? ;)
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I just recently discovered a band called Here Come the Mummies. Their song Freak Flag Fly could be a geek anthem. They are dirty encough to make Prince blush but i don't think i've ever heard a swear word one of their albums, which is odd now that i think about it and takes a certain degree of creativity, i think.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

Asterix is an acquired taste much like Tintin. I gave it a try 30 or so years ago and it never took. Tried picking up a copy a few years ago and it still did nothing for me.

Growing up in New Zealand, Asterix and Tintin books were ubiquitous in our school librarys, I much prefered Asterix to Tintin. The artwork was wonderful and the knockabout humour and puns suited me down to the ground. I have come to appreciate Tintin in recent years, though. The draftsmanship is superb.
  • Options
    On the removal of the Dislike and Disagree buttons:

Dislike.

On the removal of the Off-Topic button:

Like.

(That last one was the only one that was really misused in my opinion.)
  • Options
    I can't help but wake up each morning and wonder "What does the fox say?"

http://youtu.be/jofNR_WkoCE
  • Options

On the removal of the Dislike and Disagree buttons:

Dislike.

On the removal of the Off-Topic button:

Like.

(That last one was the only one that was really misused in my opinion.)

I also dislike the removal of the dislike button. I would suggest that in the future, if you dislike a post, quote it and then add "dislike" under the post.
  • Options
    rebis i like your Tom Baker profile pic.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    rebis said:

I also dislike the removal of the dislike button. I would suggest that in the future, if you dislike a post, quote it and then add "dislike" under the post.

And if that happens be sure to be put on the spot to defend your dislike. Or be called names. :)
  • Options
    Matt said:

Tonebone said:

Tonebone said:

Back to the Future? Kinda? It did say "To Be Continued" and then took four years for the sequel.

Only part 2 said "to be continued...", and the sequel came out 6 months later.
    Part 1 said "to be continued...", part 2 said "to be concluded..."
    I'm sure BTTF 1 did not have a "to be continued" in the theater... maybe they re-released it before BTTF 2, with that added.
    This is entirely possible. I never saw it in the theater, just on video, so I assumed it was always there. I just watched the DVD the other day and it cut to credits immediately after the Delorean flies toward the screen, not a "To Be Continued..." in sight.

Similarly, they changed Gremlins 2 for home video... in the scene where the Gremlins interrupt the showing of the movie, the theatrical version (which they also showed on HBO) has them trying to show a nudie film before Hulk Hogan yells at them from (ostensibly) the movie theater audience. On VHS, it cuts to a "snowy" screen and the Gremlins start inserting themselves into other videos, before (a badly dubbed) black & white John Wayne tells them to knock it off.
    Interesting. So I wonder if by the time BTTF came to video was it determined there would be sequels? I do recall watching it on video (and not in the theater), seeing the "to be continued" and being confused. My dad said it was just a joke, so I was surprised when the sequels came out years later.

M
    I'm old enought to remember see BTTF in the theatre. It always concluded with the To be Continued but Robert Zemekis has said in interviews it was intended as a joke. they never intended any sequels initially. in the end popular demand was such that they went ahead with the sequels 4 years later and made them back to back.
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai. Talk about hanging on a cliff, I’m still waiting for that sequel. :D

I thought about the long-awaited Buckaroo Banzai vs. The World Crime League, but Across the Eighth Dimension wasn't a cliffhanger*.

Okay, besides Empire and Back to the Future II, what other movies had cliffhanger endings that were resolved in a planned sequel? I’m drawing a blank. Lord of the Rings, I guess, but it’s not like no one knew how that was going to end up.
    The Matrix.

M
    if Peter Weller, Jeff Goldblum, Clancy Brown (Rawhide lives!), Lewis Smith & Ellen Barkin got together to make Buckaroo Banzai vs. The World Crime League. I would be in the front row with a bucket of popocorn and the biggest s*&^eating grin you've ever seen!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

The Matrix.

M
    if Peter Weller, Jeff Goldblum, Clancy Brown (Rawhide lives!), Lewis Smith & Ellen Barkin got together to make Buckaroo Banzai vs. The World Crime League. I would be in the front row with a bucket of popocorn and the biggest s*&^eating grin you've ever seen!
    I'd be willing to split the combo special with you for that one.

• Options
    Awesome. I'm down!
  • Options
    Peter said:

rebis said:

And if that happens be sure to be put on the spot to defend your dislike. Or be called names. :)
    I have teen agers. I'm used to being called names.
  • Options
    random73 said:

rebis i like your Tom Baker profile pic.

I could tell by your scarf that you would.