Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    "uughghhhgh uughghhhgh huuguughghg."
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Hey @Matt: Who shot first, Han or Greedo?

>:)
    It's important to establish now and then, that though our tastes are near-polar opposites, there are certain fundamentals upon which even Matt and I agree.
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Hey @Matt: Who shot first, Han or Greedo?

Obviously Greedo. Han isn't a killer of people with names, only "red shirts." If memory serves correctly, rather than blast Vadar's ship out of the canyon on the Death Star, he winged it!

M
    Or not. :))
    Clearly it was Han. Empire was the best "Special Edition" because there were minimal changes.

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

Clearly it was Han. Empire was the best "Special Edition" because there were minimal changes.

M

Whew.

For a moment, there, I was questioning the fundamental nature of reality.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

What town is this so that I can move there?

Originally we thought Estes Park, CO, but if you've paid attention to the news, the roads leading into the town were washed away in the recent CO floods. Businesses that have been there for years are having to close because they rely so much on seasonal business. Even though summer is over, the weekends up there are usually a huge draw for people--until it starts snowing and then the town mostly closes for the winter.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @random73 wrote:
    "I don't think everything has to be a dualistic, Christian Bale or Adam West, extreme. I like Keaton better as Bruce Wayne than Bale any day of the week. I like the tone of the first and second Nolan movies but thought the third was pretty terrible. I'd like some sort of non-body armoured costume. I'd like a little more of the uber competent detective. I think there are other versions of Batman that could still be excellent."

(So I don't get told about derailing the thread again, I moved my response to this one)

I do agree with several of your points. If Bale would've had that "I'm constantly assessing everything" look that Keaton had (point you to the party scene with Vicki of the first movie), his Wayne would've been perfect. Its the only think I felt was missing.

I disagree with the non-body armour costume. It worked with DD because he has some powers. Anything less for Batman just doesn't seem buyable. I couldn't fathom sitting through a whole movie wear Batman is wearing a non-body armour/exoskeleton; even if he's wearing a leather suit like DD's.

Before I get accused of attacking the 60s Batman; even if the movie is a serious tone more like TAS, I wouldn't be able to watch it without the costume nagging at me.

Superman (with superpowers) wearing armour is redundant. Batman not wearing body armour is stupid.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

(So I don't get told about derailing the thread again, I moved my response to this one)

The trains stopped running here long ago...
  • Options
    Matt said:

Superman (with superpowers) wearing armour is redundant. Batman not wearing body armour is stupid.

Hard to argue with that.

Waits for someone to do so anyway...

:!!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Matt said:

@random73 wrote:
    "I don't think everything has to be a dualistic, Christian Bale or Adam West, extreme. I like Keaton better as Bruce Wayne than Bale any day of the week. I like the tone of the first and second Nolan movies but thought the third was pretty terrible. I'd like some sort of non-body armoured costume. I'd like a little more of the uber competent detective. I think there are other versions of Batman that could still be excellent."

I do agree with several of your points. If Bale would've had that "I'm constantly assessing everything" look that Keaton had (point you to the party scene with Vicki of the first movie), his Wayne would've been perfect. Its the only think I felt was missing.

I disagree with the non-body armour costume. It worked with DD because he has some powers. Anything less for Batman just doesn't seem buyable. I couldn't fathom sitting through a whole movie wear Batman is wearing a non-body armour/exoskeleton; even if he's wearing a leather suit like DD's.

Before I get accused of attacking the 60s Batman; even if the movie is a serious tone more like TAS, I wouldn't be able to watch it without the costume nagging at me.

M

Totally with you about the party scene in Batman. I also appreciate the almost "absent minded professor" persona disgusing the calculating interior mind.

Agree Superman, of all heros could wear a loin cloth and not have to sweat it. And I get that Bats is just a dude competing with all level of super powered baddie but you don't see Shang Chi the master of Kung Fu walking around in body armour. I feel like if it is all strictly gadgets and armour then there is nothing particularly special about the man himself. Any rich asshole could do what batman does. But If he is Sherlock Holmes level calculating and really 15 steps ahead of anybody in the room he doesn't need the armour because the fight is over before it has even started. The criminals just don't know it yet.

And really I don't mind him wearing protective gear as needed for his plan but sometimes the heavy armor looks so cumbersome it is a wonder he can even move. I want a little more stealth and brains and a little less brute force. Like the end of Nolan's 3rd Movie. Why in hell does Bats end up in a punching contest with Bane?! You're frakking Batman! You know how to take this fool down from 100 yards away without him getting anywhere near enough to throw a punch.

So, armor is good for urban combat, okay, no argument. But that isn't all Bats does. I'd occasionally like to see more ninja stealth and quick witted-ness than just brute force and heavy artillery.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    random73 said:

Matt said:

@random73 wrote:

M

Totally with you about the party scene in Batman. I also appreciate the almost "absent minded professor" persona disgusing the calculating interior mind.

Agree Superman, of all heros could wear a loin cloth and not have to sweat it. And I get that Bats is just a dude competing with all level of super powered baddie but you don't see Shang Chi the master of Kung Fu walking around in body armour. I feel like if it is all strictly gadgets and armour then there is nothing particularly special about the man himself. Any rich asshole could do what batman does. But If he is Sherlock Holmes level calculating and really 15 steps ahead of anybody in the room he doesn't need the armour because the fight is over before it has even started. The criminals just don't know it yet.

And really I don't mind him wearing protective gear as needed for his plan but sometimes the heavy armor looks so cumbersome it is a wonder he can even move. I want a little more stealth and brains and a little less brute force. Like the end of Nolan's 3rd Movie. Why in hell does Bats end up in a punching contest with Bane?! You're frakking Batman! You know how to take this fool down from 100 yards away without him getting anywhere near enough to throw a punch.

So, armor is good for urban combat, okay, no argument. But that isn't all Bats does. I'd occasionally like to see more ninja stealth and quick witted-ness than just brute force and heavy artillery.
    "Absentminded professor" is exactly what I was thinking, I couldn't think of the word(s).

I'm not well versed in Shang Chi, so I'll take your word. I've thought about this one; haven't they essentially addressed how each hero has dealt with being shot at in comic movies? DD, Spidey, Ghost Rider, Hulk, Superman, etc. Each were bulletproof or had something to prevent taking rounds. If they did a Shang Chi movie, I'd wager there'd have to be something addressing it; based on the movie's tone.

As for the stealth, I believe SWAT & Special Force use body armour & still very stealthy. Plus, I've always thought (and practiced) planning ahead of everyone else includes the proper equipment and attire.

We have gotten some level of defuctive work (more so with Nolan's movies), but I would still like more. Imagine Se7en with Batman first encountering the Riddler?

I don't see Nolan's Batman all brute force, even fighting Bane. In DKR, he tried to reason with Harvey rather then just take him down. Plus, he came up with a plan to "burn down the forest" to find the Joker. In Begins, he fought Ras, but that was a stall tactic to keep him occupied.

Bane was different. He wasn't just holding 1 person hostage. Getting a distraction or knocking him out with those tranq darts wasn't going to reveal who had the remote trigger. I wasn't convinced trying to reason with him would work either. He was a terrorist who wasn't going to waiver from his goal. Defeating him was the only way to beat him (though I'm sure someone will use the "million other ways to stop him" comment like with MoS!) Plus, didn't Batman's plan involve a 2-headed assault (Gordon's group & Batman's army?)

M
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    The last time I saw the Packers lose to the Lions in the state of Wisconsin I was 17.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    My favorite part of the Marvel Omnibus editions is that the letter pages are included. I am reading through the Uncanny X Men now. Some people disliked Wolverine (if they are still around, they must hate Marvel now), some thought Claremont was lousy (they were about 15 to 20 years early), and some thought Cockrum was terrible (crazy talk).
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

rebis said:

random73 said:

So. Flying to Vegas tomorrow for 3 days. 1st time. Anything I HAVE to see? Any comic shops? Whats the proverbial scoop? aaaaand no, before you ask. Merrie and I are not getting married in Vegas. just a trip.

There is a place in Caesar's shopping area...a choclatier...Max something...they make this thing called a granache or ganache or something...let me just tell you the story...

Wife and I are walking through and see this choclatier's place and there's a ugy out front says we should try this granache thing. He described it as "cold hot cocoa". We were intrigued, but didn't want to spend the money for two. He said he'd split one up for us, so we figured okay...it's gonna be a shake, but who doesn't like a shake?

We get the drinks, pay him, and turn to leave. One sip...ONE SIP...and I turned to my wife and said in a very unjoking, dead serious voice: "My only regret in our marriage is that I have to share this with you right now."

She agreed. Next time through, we're each getting our own. It's that damn good.

GET YOUR OWN! Don't do what I did! Learn from my mistake! :)

Max Brenner. Tried it. Loved it.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    edited October 2013

My favorite part of the Marvel Omnibus editions is that the letter pages are included. I am reading through the Uncanny X Men now. Some people disliked Wolverine (if they are still around, they must hate Marvel now), some thought Claremont was lousy (they were about 15 to 20 years early), and some thought Cockrum was terrible (crazy talk).

I liked him back then but now I can't stand him.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Loved Green Arrow #17 - #24 Jeff Lemire + Andrea Sorrentino made the Green Arrow cool again. Hope this story arc gets collected in a nice HC. I'd buy it again.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    random73 said:

Torchsong said:

rebis said:

random73 said:

So. Flying to Vegas tomorrow for 3 days. 1st time. Anything I HAVE to see? Any comic shops? Whats the proverbial scoop? aaaaand no, before you ask. Merrie and I are not getting married in Vegas. just a trip.

There is a place in Caesar's shopping area...a choclatier...Max something...they make this thing called a granache or ganache or something...let me just tell you the story...

Wife and I are walking through and see this choclatier's place and there's a ugy out front says we should try this granache thing. He described it as "cold hot cocoa". We were intrigued, but didn't want to spend the money for two. He said he'd split one up for us, so we figured okay...it's gonna be a shake, but who doesn't like a shake?

We get the drinks, pay him, and turn to leave. One sip...ONE SIP...and I turned to my wife and said in a very unjoking, dead serious voice: "My only regret in our marriage is that I have to share this with you right now."

She agreed. Next time through, we're each getting our own. It's that damn good.

GET YOUR OWN! Don't do what I did! Learn from my mistake! :)

Max Brenner. Tried it. Loved it.
    My envy for you right now knows no bounds. :) Glad you liked it!
  • Options
    Just devoured all three seasons of Louie on Netflix.

Great stuff.

The David Lynch episodes were brilliant!
  • Options
    Superior Spider-Man is so awesome, I hope it never goes away. That is all.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Previews episodes always make me go over my monthly budget, always... Best of all, I never regret it.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Yesterday was a diaster for my sports after a fairly lousy weekend.

UGA almost blew it against UT. The Braves lost and the Falcons lost. Seasons are over for 2 of my teams, and it looks like UGA won't be long for the season.
  • Options
    anybody use ComicBook Realm.com to track their collections? i used it a little back in 2007 when it was still called My Comic Pile but havn't been on the site in years. i logged on today just for giggles and saw my info was still in the system. trying to decide if it is worth updating 10 longboxes. only reason i can think to take the time might be if i intended on taking out a personal articles insurance policy (which i have considered).
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    random73 said:

anybody use ComicBook Realm.com to track their collections? i used it a little back in 2007 when it was still called My Comic Pile but havn't been on the site in years. i logged on today just for giggles and saw my info was still in the system. trying to decide if it is worth updating 10 longboxes. only reason i can think to take the time might be if i intended on taking out a personal articles insurance policy (which i have considered).

I do for the simple reason that it's free, I can catalog by box to make it easier to find things and I can access my want list from my phone. There are a lot of things that I don't like about it, but, as I mentioned above, it's free.
  • Options
    anybody have their comics insured?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    random73 said:

anybody have their comics insured?

I used to. When we bought our house the home owners insurance we had covered them for not extra charge for up to $10K (iirc). When we changed insurance they wanted every issue listed and appraised on a yearly basis and it would cost us extra to have them covered.

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Opening a can of worms here, but you don't have to insure digital books. ;)
  • Options
    Wahhhhh.

Being a day behind on Agents of SHIELD sucks. :((

Waaaaaaah!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/10/09/harrison-ford-has-discussed-blade-runner-sequel-with-ridley-scott

Ridley Scott - Harrison Ford Bladerunner sequel? Yes, please!

Interesting stuff in there about the voiceover. Having had the opportunity, on many occasions to see both versions, I still prefer the version with the voice-over.

It may be that that's simply because it's what I'm used to, but for me, not only does it add to the noire feel, it expands the world. So, while I loved the expanded footage in the Director's Cut, I continue to feel like it's missing something.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Marathon said:

Badgers outwit government hitmen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24459424

It appears that the TB ridden badgers of Gloucestershire and Somerset are more capable than those jack-booted english thugs.