Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Yeah, I read that. But the SNES games I have are already paid for. And I have adapters to convert my SNES output to an HDMI input. How sharp do the graphics need to be with an NES game anyway? And really there are only four or five of those games I’d play anyway.

Now, if they’d included Blades of Steel...

Always the critic...
    I just didn’t play the NES that much. My younger brother had one, and I'd sometimes play with him when I was home from college, but I don’t have any nostalgia for that particular system—except for Blades of Steel. That game rocked. Tecmo Baseball was pretty fun too, I guess.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    You demonstrate a pattern of correcting and critiquing.

Similar to my own penchant with very different styles.

Embrace it, Eric.
  • Options
    Correcting and critiquing is literally what I do for a living. Embrace it? I live it practically every day of my life. :)
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Blades of Steel is a game changer.
  • Options
    I went from the NES to the Sega Genesis. The 6 button Genesis control is one of my favorites
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Blades of Steel is a game changer.

Truth!
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I loved the NES. Just looking at a list of games and I am surprised how long games kept coming out and that some games have sequals (or multiple sequals) that I never knew existed.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Blades of Steel was fantastic. Although when it comes to SNES sports games Tecmo Bowl is king.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Blades of Steel was fantastic. Although when it comes to SNES sports games Tecmo Bowl is king.

I never played Tecmo Bowl on SNES, just on NES. My favorite sports games on SNES were Ken Griffey Jr. Major League Baseball (I'm a Blue Jays fan, and they are a juggernaut in that game—kind of like Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl) and NHL ’94. (In case you can’t tell, I'm more a hockey and baseball guy than a football guy.)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    It is a little off of the classic console conversation, but the nostalgia of it reminded me of this--

There is currently, and through October, an exhibition at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens (my neighborhood) of old, playable, coin-op cabinet games. Called Arcade Classics. It's a great exhibit. Lots of nostalgic fun. I got to watch my Star Wars loving six year old sit and try to blow up the Death Star in the same arcade game I used to play. That sort of thing.

One of those games is Dragon's Lair. That crown jewel of the Chuck E Cheese when I was a kid. That one cost two tokens. Fifty cents. In mid-'80s money. And the game would be over so fast, but be so amazing looking. I mean, people who really know their video games probably know it was all a bunch of hooey and terrible design and all that. But I was a child, you know?

So they have it. And theirs is set up to only need one token. I get a handful of free tokens every time we go. (And we're members, the girls love it there, we go pretty often). Also, I think the change machine gives 25 tokens for $5. And I turn 40 in August.

I think we all see where this midlife crisis is headed. At least one afternoon of it.
  • Options
    I had a cousin who dumped so many quarters into Dragon’s Lair that he probably could have just bought the thing outright instead. I never spent much of my money in the arcade, but I did have a weakness for Centipede.

I worked at an arcade one summer while I was in college. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. I went home with a headache most nights. But at least I could play pinball whenever it was slow.
  • Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

I never played Tecmo Bowl on SNES, just on NES. My favorite sports games on SNES were Ken Griffey Jr. Major League Baseball (I'm a Blue Jays fan, and they are a juggernaut in that game—kind of like Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl) and NHL ’94. (In case you can’t tell, I'm more a hockey and baseball guy than a football guy.)
    I actually meant NES..not sure how that extra "S" snuck in there.
  • Options
    I miss the Newsarama forums. Yes, it could be a wretched hive of scum and villainy but it had positives too.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I actually meant NES..not sure how that extra "S" snuck in there.
    Oh, okay. I wasn’t sure. I couldn’t remember if Tecmo Super Bowl was done for the NES or SNES, and thought you might have been talking about that, but I guess that came out near the end of the NES era.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl was the greatest athlete of the 20th Century
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I watched Man From UNCLE last night and I thought it was a very fun movie.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I was one of those "poor" kids who didn't have an Atari 2600 growing up. When I asked my dad if we could get one, he bought a TRS-80 Color Computer instead and said "learn to program your own video games". He was kind of smart that way. I didn't actually get a gaming system of my own until the Playstation One came out.

I loved Dragon's Lair, but spent way more quarters on Cliff Hanger, which was basically the Lupin III cartoon (directed by Miyazaki) of Castle of Cagliostro set to laserdisc gaming specifications. Harder than hell and still way fun...it was my introduction to Lupin, Jigen, and Goemon (Fujiko wasn't in it IIRC). Other favorites were the Journey arcade game (with the band's faces put on tiny little bodies), Jungle Hunt, and of course Gorf! :)
  • Options
    As for coin-ops, I spent a lot of shekels on Kid Niki: The Radical Ninja

https://youtu.be/qiG4ZXpGT6M

As well as Golden Axe

• Options
    As for that NES re-release, it DOES include Ninja Gaiden... a definite plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueeKMQSS4bw
  • Options
    Golden Axe got me thinking. As big a money pit Dragon’s Lair was, it had nothing on Gauntlet. “Player needs tokens... badly.”
  • Options
    Gauntlet was something special.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I was a kid with the NES, and love/loved it. My favorite game(s) is probably Bionic Commando, followed by Zelda 1, then BattleToads (the pinnacle of NES game making, it pushed 8bit games to the limit), and then Mario 3.

Now arcade games. I was a Street Fighter 2 guy. Once I learned how to play it, you might as well just give me your $.50. Don't put in the machine to challenge me. The maddest I've ever gotten at an arcade involved a game of Super SF2 and some highschool kid trying to bully me off a machine when I was in 8th grade.
  • Options

I saw people spend their life savings on that game. There was one kid who offered the soul of his future firstborn child for more tokens to play that game. They gave him a bucket of tokens, and 45 minutes later he was out again and trying to offer the soul of his little brother, but they wouldn’t bite on that one.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

It took me losing a dollar to know I needed to stick with Double Dragon and operation wolf.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    mwhitt80 said:

I was a kid with the NES, and love/loved it. My favorite game(s) is probably Bionic Commando, followed by Zelda 1, then BattleToads (the pinnacle of NES game making, it pushed 8bit games to the limit), and then Mario 3.

Now arcade games. I was a Street Fighter 2 guy. Once I learned how to play it, you might as well just give me your $.50. Don't put in the machine to challenge me. The maddest I've ever gotten at an arcade involved a game of Super SF2 and some highschool kid trying to bully me off a machine when I was in 8th grade.

Battletoads is a great, extremely difficult game. I never did finish that one. I think I got to the last or next to last level but it proved to tough for me.

I always thought that Bionic Commando was underrated and underplayed but it seems to show up on every list I see for best games.

I had a softspot for Baseball Stars, Double Dragon III, Tecmo Wrestling and Super Tecmo Bowl, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

I had a softspot for Baseball Stars, Double Dragon III, Tecmo Wrestling and Super Tecmo Bowl, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II.
    I love Baseball Stars; I love making my on team. If you need a special cheat to earn quick cash for team upgrades: 2 player tournaments your team vs. the lovely ladies. Mercy rule the LL (since you there is only one person playing it shouldn't be too hard) and earn 10k per game.

Techmo Wrestling is incredible. DD2 & 3 are both extremely fun games. TMNT 2 is one of the most fun NES games ever.

Saying I have a top four games is like saying I have a top four comic runs or top four movies. There are so many NES games I enjoyed and think are amazing. I could ramble on about this topic.
  • Options
    Sneaky fun/entertaining non NES approved game: Bible Adventures. Baby Moses might be in my top 10 video game weapons.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The funniest/saddest moment for me and Gauntlet was when I realized your health is constantly ticking down even if you're doing nothing and, outraged, I screamed this out loud.

Dawn breaks over Marblehead. :)
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I love Baseball Stars; I love making my on team.

I forgot this one! One of my college roommates had it, and we set up a league of four. But his game had issues and would glitch out randomly, wiping out an entire game, so we never finished a season.

Man, give me an NES with Blades of Steel and Baseball Stars built in, and I wouldn’t care what else was on it.

Because the other games would never get played.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

mwhitt80 said:

I love Baseball Stars; I love making my on team.

I forgot this one! One of my college roommates had it, and we set up a league of four. But his game had issues and would glitch out randomly, wiping out an entire game, so we never finished a season.

Man, give me an NES with Blades of Steel and Baseball Stars built in, and I wouldn’t care what else was on it.

Because the other games would never get played.
    It wasn't just his game... :(