Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

Well tomorrow I start my 10.5 day trip to West Virginia with the family. Nothing says awesome 8.5 of those days being stuck with my mother in law. I love and 100% get along with my wife's great aunt that we visit, but her mama drives me nuts after 4 days. Plus with everything going on with our family I've only had one week since June started without her in my house. I will get to drive up to Pittsburgh to see my grandmother for a day or too at least

Really I just want to fish.

Courage.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I think with all that's gone on with you taking a day or two to just go out on your own and fish would be a really good idea. And since most of West Virginia is underwater right now* you'll have plenty of options.

* Seriously, though WV natives reading this...hope all is going well.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I thought this was amusing-- a casting breakdown descriptions for a Superman and Batman, for live event appearances via Milestone Productions (a live event company that lists Warner Brothers and DC as clients). In case you ever wanted to know that Superman and Batman have the same suit measurements. That Batman needs to be good with children, or that- at least in the live event space- corporate seems to prefer the old movies to the new ones, then see below:
    BATMAN / Other / Lead / Male / Caucasian, Ethnically Ambiguous / 18-30
    Batman- Performer must be: 6'0- 6'3 Mid to late 20's look, no older. Willing to wear cowl and black eye makeup around the eyes. Slim to medium build (no body-builder types) Strong jaw line and chin Measurements: Chest: 38"-40", Hips 36"-38" Waist: 32"-34" Shoe- up to Men's 13 NO ACCENTS ROLE- You will be playing one of the most iconic rolls in comic history and, arguably, pop-culture history. We ask that Batman by a bit mysterious but still nice, happy to be making an appearance and meeting fans, not 'grumpy'. The character is much more based on Micheal Keaton character-type than current films. These suits are based on the "New 52" look. NOTE: Please DO NOT do a gravely "Batman Voice" but simply speak in your lower register. Performer- Must be able to be the character on their own, without a script, interacting with fans and always staying in character. Must be nice, good with children, must like travel and be flexible working with different people. Must agree to a CORI background check. VALID PASSPORT A PLUS! Please bring it with you for verification if available. STAGE COMBAT experience a plus! Please note that in your comments.
    Wardrobe: Suit has built in structure so we are NOT looking for body builders but slim to medium build.
    Rate: $200-275 a day plus travel
    SUPERMAN / Other / Lead / Male / Caucasian, Ethnically Ambiguous / 18-30
    Superman- Performer must be: 6'1- 6'3 Mid to late 20's look, no older. Slim to medium build (no body-builder types) Full, dark hair Handsome with a very strong jaw line and chin Measurements: Chest: 38"-40", Hips 36"-38" Waist: 32"-34" Shoe- up to Men's 13 NO ACCENTS ROLE- You will be playing one of the most iconic rolls in comic history and, arguably, pop-culture history. We ask Superman to be charming, kind, courteous and gentlemanly. Please think more 'Christopher Reeve' type than more current movies to keep him accessible. These suits are based on the "New 52" look. Performer- Must be able to be the character on their own, without a script, interacting with fans and always staying in character. Must be nice, good with children, must like travel and be flexible working with different people. Must agree to a CORI background check. VALID PASSPORT A PLUS! Please bring it with you for verification if available. STAGE COMBAT experience a plus! Please note that in your comments.
    Wardrobe: Suit has built in structure so we are NOT looking for body builders but slim to medium build.
    Rate: $200-275 plus travel
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited July 2016
    One serious Batman fan on YouTube, Plan Making Mammals, has recolored the entire Killing Joke trailer into the style of original graphic novel (as it was originally colored by John Higgins). The infamous comic was actually recolored by Brian Bolland into a more dreary realistic style for the 2008 Deluxe Edition. That's the same aesthetic the animated movie is using.

I actually liked this a bit more than the cheap looking first trailer for the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_r-qsxGiKY
  • Options
    CAGE!!

In 2007, Marvel announced Cage!, a satirical new series for Power Man that went back to his days as a pulpy ‘70s hero by Samurai Jack creator Genndy Tartakovsky. And then it got delayed, and delayed, and delayed. Many never expected it to ever come out. But now, nearly nine years later, it finally will.

More details here: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/07/08/exclusive-genndy-tartakovsky-on-his-new-cage-comic-from-marvel
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

In 2007, Marvel announced Cage!, a satirical new series for Power Man that went back to his days as a pulpy ‘70s hero by Samurai Jack creator Genndy Tartakovsky. And then it got delayed, and delayed, and delayed. Many never expected it to ever come out. But now, nearly nine years later, it finally will.

Yeah, Genndy announced a few months back that he was working on it again. I'm looking forward to it, and to the resolution of Samurai Jack.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2016
    "This October Tartakovsky's Cage! will finally hit stands."
    October? Hell, we waited this long they might as well make it a sweet Christmas release.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

October? Hell, we waited this long they might as well make it a sweet Christmas release.

FTW
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    So I'm heading home from a surprisingly nice vacation in WV.

Here are the highlights:

I got to see some of the flood damage from the highway. It was bad and I only saw a fraction.

We rode a steam train and my daughter almost exploded with excitement. She talked about all week. I also met an older English Gentlemen who had climbed Mt. Everest in his youth.

We drove up to Pittsburgh to see my grandmother and that is always nice.

No time for fishing, and I wouldn't have felt really comfortable in those rivers. They were really high, fast moving, and debris filled. I've spent most of my life on or around water, and I live by the rule always respect the water. Always respect the water.

My wife's aunt lives 10 minutes from the WV Wildlife Center, so we bought an annual family pass for $25.00 dollars and took the little girl to see the animals 3/4 times. Added bonus is that the trail was about 1.5 miles of walking or stroller pushing.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Today social media was abuzz with what has been perceived as an injustice. Many have voiced their disapproval. I of course speak of those angry that the Ghostbusters remake is getting good early reviews.
  • Options
    DAR said:

Today social media was abuzz with what has been perceived as an injustice. Many have voiced their disapproval. I of course speak of those angry that the Ghostbusters remake is getting good early reviews.

LOL, I read one that said "I didn't hate it while I was watching it" and that was considered 'positive' so there's that. (Den of Geek)
  • Options
    I love that these forums are not like the rest of the internet.

Never read below the author line. It is always never good.
  • Options
    Worst part of having a musical wife.

Practice. New songs on the violin are terrible.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

You should hear new songs on the banjo. :smile:
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    New songs on the bagpipes > new songs on the banjo or violin.
  • Options
    Try drums, brass or woodwind
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

New songs on the bagpipes > new songs on the banjo or violin.

Nah. The bagpipes have a very limited scale of notes, which makes it much harder to sound bad (or depending upon your view of bagpipes, any worse)—kind of like a harmonica.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

It's on her list of to get right after I get her mandolin. Speaking of mandolins, I'm currently in the business of looking for one...

Anyone want to start a bluegrass band? Since our trip she decided that bluegrass is the best fit for her voice and skill set. I can thank the 2 little girls playing at the Heartwood in Abingdon VA for that.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

It's on her list of to get right after I get her mandolin. Speaking of mandolins, I'm currently in the business of looking for one...

Anyone want to start a bluegrass band? Since our trip she decided that bluegrass is the best fit for her voice and skill set. I can thank the 2 little girls playing at the Heartwood in Abingdon VA for that.
    Mandolins are a pain to keep in tune. At least the one I have is. It's technically my wife's, which she got the same day I got my banjo, but I've played it more than she has.

As for the band, we might be a little limited by distance. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I'm learning mandolin right now. I haven't had as much problem keeping mine in tune but I'm dreading the eventual re-string. A bit hard for me to play (sausage fingers) which is why I tend to stick with the bass. It's an Eastman F-style and has a nice sound to it:

http://www.eastmanguitars.com/mandolins-f-style

But I assure I didn't pay what they're suggesting should be the price for it. ;) If you have an antique store, thrift shop, or used merch store, check them out and you'll likely find one that's safer to bang around on.

If you want something that sounds beautiful no matter what you do to it, the hammered dulcimer is the way to go. Even the bad notes tend to sound like they belong there. :)

• Options
    Yeah, mandolin is a bit tough for me too. Some of the chord fingerings are a stretch for me. And the dulcimer (hammered or strummed) really is the String Instrument for Dummies. The only way it sounds bad is when it's out of tune.
  • Options
    Anything new going on out there?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Nintendo found a way to get me off my fat carcass and walk around the park for an hour or two holding my phone in my hand and occasionally shouting "Ooo! There's one!"

I'd feel stupid but there's about 20 other people at any given moment doing it right alongside me. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

mwhitt80 said:

Nintendo found a way to get me off my fat carcass and walk around the park for an hour or two holding my phone in my hand and occasionally shouting "Ooo! There's one!"

I'd feel stupid but there's about 20 other people at any given moment doing it right alongside me. :)
    On November 11, when it gets colder, they'll give you a reason to go back inside...

More info: http://www.dailydot.com/debug/nintendo-nes-classic-relaunch-date/
  • Options
    I just talked to a guy about replacing the pins in my NES.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I just talked to a guy about replacing the pins in my NES.

I went straight from my Atari 2600 to SNES. And my SNES still works. I always hated the controller for the NES. The SNES controller wasn’t much better, but it was a little more comfortable to hold.
  • Options
    This NES product is HDMI, no cartridges, has 30 games built in, and is only $59 retail
  • Options
    Yeah, I read that. But the SNES games I have are already paid for. And I have adapters to convert my SNES output to an HDMI input. How sharp do the graphics need to be with an NES game anyway? And really there are only four or five of those games I’d play anyway.

Now, if they’d included Blades of Steel...
  • Options

Yeah, I read that. But the SNES games I have are already paid for. And I have adapters to convert my SNES output to an HDMI input. How sharp do the graphics need to be with an NES game anyway? And really there are only four or five of those games I’d play anyway.

Now, if they’d included Blades of Steel...

Always the critic...