Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

Manos: the Hands of Fate may fall out of the public domain due to the son of the director filing a trademark application.

A GoFundMe has been set up to fight the application in court.

I am not familiar with this case, but copyright law is just a few years away from getting changed again, most likely with more decades being added to a copyright.

The Steamboat Willie Mickey Mouse copyright expires in 2023. A lot of politicians on both sides will be recieving large "campaign contributions" from Disney very soon.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

The Steamboat Willie Mickey Mouse copyright expires in 2023. A lot of politicians on both sides will be recieving large "campaign contributions" from Disney very soon.

It's about time Disney lost a case. Steamboat Willie belongs to EVERYONE now.

• Options
    Is it just me, or is Godspeed a ridiculous name for a supervillain? I buy Flash for my son, and I since it was in the house I thought I'd give it a shot. When I got to the big spash-page reveal of the new villain, and the caption simply said “Godspeed,” I laughed out loud. I had to put the book down, I was laughing so hard. I kept hearing him as a 19th Century British gentleman seeing his friend off in his horse-drawn carriage. “Godspeed to you, sir. Godspeed.”

There is no better indication that they have run out of good superhero/supervillain names than this.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

There is no better indication that they have run out of good superhero/supervillain names than this.

Villain: "Okay, I'm a speedster, and I'm all down for the evil. Gotta think of a cool speed-based name! I shall be...PROFESSOR ZOOM!"
    Henchman: "Taken"
    Villain: "Okay....just Zoom then!"
    Henchman: "Also taken."
    Villain: "Well, my suit's kinda black. I'll be THE BLACK RACER!"
    Henchman: "Ta-"
    Villain: "Yeah, yeah I got it. How about Whizzer?"
    Henchman: "Taken, different company, and it sounds like your superpower involves peeing."
    Villain: "Dammit. How about that Hindu god of speed? Savita...something."
    Henchman: "Savitar. Taken."
    Villain: "Shit! I need some kind of impressive speed-based name! Is anything available? Anything at all?"
    Henchman: "Well..."

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited February 2017

Ok since Marvel has Speedball I'm going to help DC out. They can use some variation of these, think of it as an updated name for a more modern audience

Crystal
    Super Ice
    Getgo
    Crank

Now if they really wild We can mix both old and new and call him (assuming Godspeed is a boy) Twister (crack+meth)

I now have to clear my search history since I googled "meth names"

Edit 2: poop I came up with the perfect DC speedster Cryces (pronounced Crisis), speed kills and Cryces kills speed.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Now if they really wild We can mix both old and new and call him (assuming Godspeed is a boy) Twister (crack+meth)

• Options
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited February 2017

Is it just me, or is Godspeed a ridiculous name for a supervillain? I buy Flash for my son, and I since it was in the house I thought I'd give it a shot. When I got to the big spash-page reveal of the new villain, and the caption simply said “Godspeed,” I laughed out loud. I had to put the book down, I was laughing so hard. I kept hearing him as a 19th Century British gentleman seeing his friend off in his horse-drawn carriage. “Godspeed to you, sir. Godspeed.”

And his partner, "GoodDay!"
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    This Was the XFL on 30 for 30 tonight
  • Options
    DAR said:

This Was the XFL on 30 for 30 tonight

I may have to check that out. I actually attended an XFL game and had a Las Vegas Outlaws ballcap for a long time.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    CBR finally got a list of Guide to the Guide to Comics (the review of old Wizard magazines by the guy from not blog x)

Which brings me to Stephen Platt...
    Wizard loved this guy. I've read his Prophet issues; I get that he does huge machine gun toting mfers with the very best of them. But you can't understand a thing that is going on in his art. You can disparage many artists in the image age for this, but he is the worst I've ever read (including Rob, the Lee "brothers", and anyone else).
    Even knowing this I really want to read his matv Spector issued (around 55); I want to see what caused the hubbub. Come on Marvel Unlimited get on this.

Edit: Rob claims he paid Platt $40,000 an issue to draw Prophet. The money getting thrown around in the 90s.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

CBR finally got a list of Guide to the Guide to Comics (the review of old Wizard magazines by the guy from not blog x)

Wizard loved this guy. I've read his Prophet issues; I get that he does huge machine gun toting mfers with the very best of them. But you can't understand a thing that is going on in his art. You can disparage many artists in the image age for this, but he is the worst I've ever read (including Rob, the Lee "brothers", and anyone else).
    Even knowing this I really want to read his matv Spector issued (around 55); I want to see what caused the hubbub. Come on Marvel Unlimited get on this.

Edit: Rob claims he paid Platt $40,000 an issue to draw Prophet. The money getting thrown around in the 90s.

I liked what Platt started doing when he first came on Moon Knight. He showed promise, and when restrained, it was exceptional...

...but it quickly devolved...

...into something almost (but not quite) as bad as Rob Liefeld (imo).
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Ironically, now he is a storyboard artist where the art doesn't matter very much, but the storytelling is everything. You wouldn't even recognize his storyboards as being done by the same artist.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Ironically, now he is a storyboard artist where the art doesn't matter very much, but the storytelling is everything. You wouldn't even recognize his storyboards as being done by the same artist.
    Now that is interesting; I'm going to try to find some.
    He did a lot of Marvel variants a few years back that were very restrained compared to his image work. I'm sure you can google them, but I thought that they looked okay.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

...but it quickly devolved...

...into something almost (but not quite) as bad as Rob Liefeld (imo).

Is it me, or is Cap checking out Moon Dragon's boobs?
  • Options
  • Options

Bernie Wrightson underwent cancer surgery today. Still waiting to hear how it went.

Bernie is retiring for good. His wife made the announcement on Facebook. So sad.

“These fragments I have shored against my ruins” ― T.S. Eliot,
  • Options
    I just ran across this video... with a smarmy and chill Harlan Ellison (and his ego) introducing exclusive interviews with the cream of the crop of comics creators, as they were 30 years ago. The most interesting thing, I think, is the "statement" read by what I presume to be Ditko, himself. Outside of that old flexi-disc recording from the early 60's, this may be the only other recording of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kkzrs1HUsk
  • Options
    Because John Wick 2 is coming out next week.
    Top 5 favorite Keanu Reeves roles

1) Ted Theodore Logan
    2) Johnny Utah
    3) Neo
    4) John Wick
    5) Keanu
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Because John Wick 2 is coming out next week.
    Top 5 favorite Keanu Reeves roles

1) Ted Theodore Logan
    2) Johnny Utah
    3) Neo
    4) John Wick
    5) Keanu

I really thought you were going to say:

1) Keanu
    2) Keanu
    3) Keanu
    4) Keanu
    5) Keanu
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I love me some Keanu; I'm not going to hate on Johnny Utah.

My number 5 is the actual cat from Keanu
  • Options
    I AM AN F B EYE AGENT!!!

Love that film. The "remake" does not exist.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Tonebone said:

I just ran across this video... with a smarmy and chill Harlan Ellison (and his ego) introducing exclusive interviews with the cream of the crop of comics creators, as they were 30 years ago. The most interesting thing, I think, is the "statement" read by what I presume to be Ditko, himself. Outside of that old flexi-disc recording from the early 60's, this may be the only other recording of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kkzrs1HUsk

So, Ellison, America didn't create Country Weastren music? And Bluegrass...came from France perhaps?
  • Options
    Decided to rewatch Spider-Man. Still enjoy it very much though Dafoe's performance is a tad too goofy for me
  • Options
    I've been through losses I'm glad I wasn't in my college years for that one.

That loss might have been the ultimate GA sports loss I've lived through.
    First it was ugly
    Second it was at Boston's hands. Atlanta has been here with Boston for so many years.
  • Options
    That was absolutely insane. I'm not a Pats fan but you have to respect that kind of a comeback.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Geez.
    So I don't hate the pats. I don't even dislike them, but Malcolm Mitchell is dead to me.
  • Options
    How do the Falcons not run the ball 3 straight times from the 22, killing the clock in the process, and then hitting a chip shot FG to ice the Super Bowl? What a bunch of maroons.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a good carrying case for gaming miniatures?