Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    DC is collecting the John Byrne DC Universe (23 various issues) in one hardcover, coming out this Christmas.

Also of note, DC is celebrating Jack Kirby's 100th birthday with an omnibus edition of The Fourth World, collecting Kirby’s entire runs on THE NEW GODS, THE FOREVER PEOPLE, MISTER MIRACLE and SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN in a single volume. Over 50 issues!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

DC is collecting the John Byrne DC Universe (23 various issues) in one hardcover, coming out this Christmas.

Also of note, DC is celebrating Jack Kirby's 100th birthday with an omnibus edition of The Fourth World, collecting Kirby’s entire runs on THE NEW GODS, THE FOREVER PEOPLE, MISTER MIRACLE and SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN in a single volume. Over 50 issues!

The original four volume Omnibus set is one of the favorite things in my collection.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    I was bumping around YouTube and found the "complete" Grant Morrison, Fatman on Batman. Even though there is all kinds of weird/annoying stuff going on throughout the interviews (Morrison being crazy, Smith's continually hitting his lighter and doing the smokers cough, and more f bombs from the two of them then a group of teens drop and the mall) the enthusiasm for the subject matter is infectious. I would recommend a listen.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I liked those episodes.

My copy of Showcase Brave and the bold volume 3 came in today. I flipped through it, and man it is filled with Jim Aparo getting to draw the DCU. It's incredible looking
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Well BvS held the best opening weekend in March for not quite a year. Beauty and the Beast made an estimated 170 million this weekend
  • Options
    Am I the only person for whom the appeal of Emma Watson is lost on?
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

You may be too old. My 21 year old son holds her in his pantheon of Moon Goddesses.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    hauberk said:

You may be too old.
    I suspected this was the case. Also probably why I never got into the Potter series.
  • Options

hauberk said:

You may be too old.
    I suspected his was the case. Also probably why I never got into the Potter series.
    We read all of the Potter books as a family bedtime story with the kids. As they grew older, it turned into a read around in the car while vacationing. They're not, and never will be serious literature, but they got a whole lot of kids reading some dauntingly thick books and then branching out into other stuff. Hard to argue with that. Add to that the fact that they really do present a pretty fun story.
  • Options
    Can't argue with that. Just think I was too old to get into them myself.
  • Options
    I was an adult when the Potter series was released and have read the series at least twice. Might give it another go. Still the most enjoyable of "young adult" series
  • Options
    I found an app that plays old time radio programs. Let's just say I'm kind of obsessed with it.
  • Options
    DAR said:

I was an adult when the Potter series was released and have read the series at least twice. Might give it another go. Still the most enjoyable of "young adult" series

I presume you've tried the Twilight series and possibly Game of Thrones also?
  • Options
    Just read Henry Cavill was cast in Mission Impossible 6.

The MI series has gotten increasingly better as it has gone on. And two glad to see Cavil getting additional roles. He was great in Man From Uncle and the film itself is highly underrated.
  • Options
    I was 20 when I started the Potter books, a little before the first movie. When the movie came out Emma Watson was a little kid; so she's pretty much the kid I watched grow up in the movies.

She's a pretty girl, but yeah I was out from the go.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

I was 20 when I started the Potter books, a little before the first movie. When the movie came out Emma Watson was a little kid; so she's pretty much the kid I watched grow up in the movies.

She's a pretty girl, but yeah I was out from the go.

That’s pretty much me, but I was 31. She’s smart, and funny, and has a great smile, but I still think of her as a kid.

My son started reading the books around the time the fourth book came out, and I listened to the audio books on my commute to and from work so we could talk about them. The audio books are wonderfully done, and that sucked me in. Whenever a new movie came out, I'd take him on a father/son outing to see it.

When my daughter got old enough, I started reading them to her at bedtime, me doing the voices from the audio books (and let me tell you that doing Hagrid’s monologue in Prisoner of Azkaban is rough on your throat). We never got through to the end of the series, but she ended up reading them all on her own. Even though the books have flaws and plot holes and so on, they are really enjoyable, and they hold special memories for me in connection with my kids.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    DAR said:

He was great in Man From Uncle and the film itself is highly underrated.

I don't know how underrated it is, but The Man from UNCLE was certainly entertaining.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

I think, especially since the pixie cut, she tends to look like a 12 year old boy.

• Options

DAR said:

I presume you've tried the Twilight series and possibly Game of Thrones also?
    There's nothing young adult about Game of Thrones.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

I was merely musing. Seems like something I could imagine myself reading.
  • Options

hauberk said:

I was merely musing. Seems like something I could imagine myself reading.
    It's a great world. And great series, if a little long running.

The themes are, however, very mature.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The Mission Impossible series is my guilty pleasure. Angry at the first one for what they did to the character of Jim Phelps but they're fun action stories every time.

I'm wayyy too old to be mooning over Emma. :)

Game of Thrones is great, but fairly repetitious at times. You can tell GRR Martin loves to eat because he wastes no opportunity talking about what everyone's having for dinner. :) Also, don't get attached to anyone.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited March 2017
    The biggest fear with Game of Thrones books is that there will not be a conclusion to the story.

Martin has been working on the next novel in the series for seven years with no publication date yet in sight and there is still one more book supposedly after that.

Martin turns 69 this year. At this pace, if the next novel came out next year, he might finish by the time he is 78 ish.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

The biggest fear with Game of Thrones books is that there will not be a conclusion to the story.

Martin has been working on the next novel in the series for seven years with no publication date yet in sight and there is still one more book supposedly after that.

Martin turns 69 this year. At this pace, if the next novel came out next year, he might finish by the time he is 78 ish.

That's why we have the tv show....

I'm​ not sure he wants to finish it now. I get the feeling he is sort of winging the plot, so we probably won't get a satisfactory ending (something to be said for Jordan's mountain of notes). And this is going to sound awful, but you don't see a lot of heavy 75year olds.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

That's why we have the tv show....

I'm​ not sure he wants to finish it now. I get the feeling he is sort of winging the plot, so we probably won't get a satisfactory ending (something to be said for Jordan's mountain of notes). And this is going to sound awful, but you don't see a lot of heavy 75year olds.
    He might not want to finish it and he might not know how to finish it.
    Yep.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    i hope it gets done. I know the tv show will have something but I want to read his take.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The June solicits for Marvel and DC are out. DC continues its impressive reprinting of its catalog in trade. Marvel...publishes a lot of stuff.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Just finished the essential Savage She Hulk. Interesting to see how the character started. I think the new series may be taking her back to more of her savage roots with less of the Byrne characterization. Not sure if that is good or not.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Starting the second book of the Strangers in Paradise omnibus. The first book was amazing. Thanks Jamie D for championing this book.
  • Options
    Sweet Judas there was either a glitch in the system or I'm a freakin' Time Lord. I think it was the latter, and so should you.