Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited December 2013
    random73 said:

So, I come in to work yesterday morning. It's cold, really frakkin, single digit, -20 wind chill cold. I make the comment, "it's time to gut a Tauntaun". Guy looks us from his desk, 29 year old grown-ass man and says,"what's a Tauntaun?". I laugh and give him the Empire reference thinking its early and the dude just isn't awake yet. He says,"is that Star Wars? I've never seen it". :-O What!? Look you can only blame bad parenting for so long at some point you have to take responsibility for your own education. Even if you aren't into sci if geek stuff this is a basic cultural zeitgeist that this kid has NO reference for. It's like never having seen the Godfather for crying out loud.

Okay I'm done ranting now.

I've never seen the Godfather.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Greg said:

random73 said:

So, I come in to work yesterday morning. It's cold, really frakkin, single digit, -20 wind chill cold. I make the comment, "it's time to gut a Tauntaun". Guy looks us from his desk, 29 year old grown-ass man and says,"what's a Tauntaun?". I laugh and give him the Empire reference thinking its early and the dude just isn't awake yet. He says,"is that Star Wars? I've never seen it". :-O What!? Look you can only blame bad parenting for so long at some point you have to take responsibility for your own education. Even if you aren't into sci if geek stuff this is a basic cultural zeitgeist that this kid has NO reference for. It's like never having seen the Godfather for crying out loud.

suicide is an option. (of course, a less drastic measure might be to, WATCH THE FRAKKIN MOVIE).
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    random73 said:

Greg said:

random73 said:

suicide is an option. (of course, a less drastic measure might be to, WATCH THE FRAKKIN MOVIE).
    I thought we were doing away with this kinda stuff in 2014?
    fredzilla said:

random73 said:

Greg said:

random73 said:

I thought we were doing away with this kinda stuff in 2014?
    thats a different thread...
    Reassured about my chosen profession in the great state of Colorado today... :-S
  • Greg said:

random73 said:

I knew I couldn't have been the only one!
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Greg said:

random73 said:

I knew I couldn't have been the only one!
    Oh you lucky so-and-sos! You've still got The Godfather to see for the first time!

Color me jealous.
  • I have to admit, until the last few years, even as a non-Star Wars fan, I was surprised when folks had not seen Star Wars.

I am, myself, a Trekkie, but I wonder if I could have been a Star Wars fan. (By the by, you guys are missing out on a great nickname - you could *easily* convince the world to refer to you as Warriors. Just sayin'.)

I was introduced to Star Wars badly. My father took us to see Return of the Jedi in the theaters (for I am old). It was okay, I guess, but I had no idea who these characters were or why the teddy bears were fighting.

A couple of years later, I saw the first film on an HBO free weekend (remember those?).

It wasn't until I was in high school that I had a friend, a Star Wars fan, that learned I had never seen The Empire Strikes Back, who made me watch it on VHS. ("Dude, you've never seen Empire?!? That is the BEST ONE!")

And, so I saw it. And, yeah, it was the best, but the die had been cast. I was firmly in the Star Trek camp, and never caught the fascination with the Wars universe.

Had I been shown the films in proper order, would I have been more into them? I watched the 3-1-2, with long breaks between.

Of course, I should note - my father? He is the one that introduced me to Star Trek. He was a Trekkie, too. Perhaps it was no accident that I was shown the Wars films out of order. Perhaps it was all part of an insidious plot...
  • WetRats said:

Oh you lucky so-and-sos! You've still got The Godfather to see for the first time!

Not going to happen.

I was never interested in story to begin with, had less interest when it became a movie, and, to date, I haven't yet seen a film by the director that I've liked. (I saw a very few.) I know it's a classic, but it wouldn't be the first one I've passed by. I've never seen Jaws either -- and I like Spielberg.

WetRats said:

Not going to happen.

I was never interested in story to begin with, had less interest when it became a movie, and, to date, I haven't yet seen a film by the director that I've liked. (I saw a very few.) I know it's a classic, but it wouldn't be the first one I've passed by. I've never seen Jaws either -- and I like Spielberg.
    :-O

Wow.

Both films (and Godfather 2) are master classes in film-making. But if that doesn't interest you, so be it.
  • So I've been told. Repeatedly, over the decades. But I've never been interested in either story, let alone the films. So it goes.

So it goes.

Hi. Ho.
  • WetRats said:

Not going to happen.

If by "The story" you mean the novel, then, yes, the novel is terrible. Puzo is one of those writers who was big in his time, but now, his stuff is just unreadable. There are a few authors like that, mostly the "pop fiction" writers like Jaquelin Susanne, whoever wrote those "Flowers in the Attic" novels and...Mario Puzo.

The movie, however, is one well worth watching, just for all of the heavy duty actors at their peak. It's such a damn shame that Brando, Pacino and DeNiro become punch lines later in their careers.

WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Not going to happen.

:-O

Wow.

Both films (and Godfather 2) are master classes in film-making. But if that doesn't interest you, so be it.
    I don't typically like crime or mob flicks but I love...movies! I'll happily watch a movie that isn't my typical genre just for the sheer joy of watching a well constructed film. This doesn't mean I'm some film class afficianado but good movies are good regardless of subject.
    A Blake's 7 Christmas carol
    Rebel Bells (to the tune of Jingle Bells)

Dashing through the stars,
    In a stolen DSV (deep space vehicle),
    Travis in persuit,
    Luckily for we,
    Blake's our fearless chief,
    Though he isn't very bright,
    Oh what fun it is to blow an outpost up tonight!

Oh!

Rebel Bells,
    Avon smells,
    Villa's drunk again,
    Olag Gan fell in the can,
    And Jenna's been depressed,

Oh!

Rebel Bells,
    Orac Smells,
    Cally's been possessed,
    Oh what fun it is to fly,
    in a ship controlled by Zen!
    It just came to my attention today that Firefly got 14 episodes. CSI is on Season 14. That's depressing.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    fredzilla said:

Reassured about my chosen profession in the great state of Colorado today... :-`S

Just don't teach in Centennial.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    random73 said:

It just came to my attention today that Firefly got 14 episodes. CSI is on Season 14. That's depressing.

They should have just renamed it Law and Order: Firefly or NCIS: Firefly and it would still be on the air.

random73 said:

They should have just renamed it Law and Order: Firefly or NCIS: Firefly and it would still be on the air.
    "How I Met Your Firefly," "How I Firefly Your Mother" (cheeky!), "The Big Firefly Theory," or "Firefly with the Stars," etc.
    rebis said:

fredzilla said:

Reassured about my chosen profession in the great state of Colorado today... :-`S

Just don't teach in Centennial.
    I did for three years. Now I'm subbing in Aurora. Urban schools seem a little more safer than these middle-class suburban schools. I mean, at least you know what you're getting into or can anticipate violence, like your guard is already up. *sigh*
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    fredzilla said:

random73 said:

"How I Firefly Your Mother" (cheeky!),
    If this is on HBO, i am all in.
    :D
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I liked Firefly alright, but I kind of hated the Serenity movie.
  • random73 said:

I know there is this outrage concerning the fate of Firefly, how the network treated it, how it never really got the chance. And its become a poster child for "cancelled too soon". But, while fans of the show may have loved it, by and large, people didn't. I know I didn't, my friends didn't, my family didn't, and while that's hardly a representative sampling, the fact that the movie flopped in theaters and that the ancillary spin-offs like comics and books can't seem to gain much steam show that outside the cult of Firefly, no one cares about this show.

Sorry, it was a bit of a rant. Just tired of having to hear about a show that absolutely deserved cancellation by any metric except the love from its die hard fans 11 years later.

Or maybe I just don't get it.

random73 said:

I know there is this outrage concerning the fate of Firefly, how the network treated it, how it never really got the chance. And its become a poster child for "cancelled too soon". But, while fans of the show may have loved it, by and large, people didn't. I know I didn't, my friends didn't, my family didn't, and while that's hardly a representative sampling, the fact that the movie flopped in theaters and that the ancillary spin-offs like comics and books can't seem to gain much steam show that outside the cult of Firefly, no one cares about this show.

Sorry, it was a bit of a rant. Just tired of having to hear about a show that absolutely deserved cancellation by any metric except the love from its die hard fans 11 years later.

:-q

;) (but seriously, :-q )
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited December 2013

random73 said:

If you are so skeptical of Firefly and Serenity's merits why do you frequent a forum that celebrates Geek culture? Seems to me this forum is a conduit that should spotlight these shows. Who gives a damn what popular culture or Nielsen ratings say. By any metric of this community I'm sure it is well loved and much mourned. I'm not slamming your opinion or your dislike of the show but it seems that in a sea of shit TV shows that survive decades beyond what they should, mourning Firefly is appropriate.
  • shroud68 said:

random73 said:

If you are so skeptical of Firefly and Serenity's merits why do you frequent a forum that celebrates Geek culture? Seems to me this forum is a conduit that should spotlight these shows. Who gives a damn what popular culture or Nielsen ratings say. By any metric of this community I'm sure it is well loved and much mourned. I'm not slamming your opinion or your dislike of the show but it seems that in a sea of shit TV shows that survive decades beyond what they should, mourning Firefly is appropriate.
    Didn't realize I had to be a card carrying browncoat to love or want to discuss Geek culture. And I agree that there are lots of terrible shows that have been on forever that I wouldn't mind seeing go away. But as far as Firefly/Serenity is concerned, sometimes I feel like the outrage and mourning has more to do with the fact that more people didn't like it or couldn't care less about it than the fact that it didn't get a fair shot. It portrayed like an injustice that will never be put right. But it got it's shot. Then it got another one, a big one at that. I don't mind when people say they loved it or want to talk about its merits, its the insistence that it somehow deserved better than what it got that drives me crazy.
  • random73 said:

Why? I love CSI. It's a nifty premise (science nerds solving crimes), has a unique and interesting look, feeds little tidbits to its hard-core fan culture (and yes, there are CSI nerds who write fanfic, discuss relationships, etc...) and is still able to entertain me an hour every week.

Firefly is a series I enjoy, CSI is a series I enjoy. Did Firefly get a fair shake? Not when it was a series, but the movie did as well as it could. Oddly, Firefly, Dollhouse and now Agents of SHIELD have shown me that Joss's storytelling style doesn't work in today's TV landscape any more, as he needs to "feel out" a series before it does well. The first seasons of both Buffy and Angel aren't all that good either, and it's not until the second season that both became the great series they are...and Dollhouse's first season was simply annoying, the last episode of the first season was great, then it settled back into a bit of a slog.

I think the hallmark of geek culture should be that you like what you like A LOT! I am just as fanboy for Deadwood as I am for Travis McGee novels as I am for the Marvel Universe as I am for Final Fantasy games. You don't like them? That's cool, tell me what you like so that I can try it out.

Unless it's those damn "Wheel of Time" novels. I'm not reading 15,000 pages of ANYTHING.

edited December 2013

="Quote" rel="shroud68">

random73 said:

Didn't realize I had to be a card carrying browncoat to love or want to discuss Geek culture. And I agree that there are lots of terrible shows that have been on forever that I wouldn't mind seeing go away. But as far as Firefly/Serenity is concerned, sometimes I feel like the outrage and mourning has more to do with the fact that more people didn't like it or couldn't care less about it than the fact that it didn't get a fair shot. It portrayed like an injustice that will never be put right. But it got it's shot. Then it got another one, a big one at that. I don't mind when people say they loved it or want to talk about its merits, its the insistence that it somehow deserved better than what it got that drives me crazy.

First of all I defended your right to dislike Firefly so you do not have to be a card carrying brown coat to be a member of this community. I dislike group think and prefer free thinking. My issue with your post was that you wave the metric of the general population's tastes like it something we Geeks should care about. I find it hard to believe that for all the diverse tastes of this community that someone trumpets the wisdom of the masses. If that was the case and we used your metric we would all watch NFL and NCIS. I don't want to base my TV choices on the metrics you proposed.

And to defend Firefly specifically it never got a full chance. It was mismanaged from the get go by Fox. What show hits it stride in the first 10 episodes? I'd rather watch a hypothetical Season 10 of Firefly than generic and vanilla NCIS repeats on USA network.

I still laugh at your metric comment as if you used a clever turn of phrase to justify what I believe to be a poor example.