Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

Greg said:

Did the NFL get its mancard revoked or something or Godell and his boys just a bunch of pop star loving fools?

Actually, the Selena Gomez performance is more of a Dallas Cowboys thing...mot the NFL.
    :-O If that's the case my grandpa is rolling over in his grave.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited November 2013
    Greg said:

Greg said:

Did the NFL get its mancard revoked or something or Godell and his boys just a bunch of pop star loving fools?

Actually, the Selena Gomez performance is more of a Dallas Cowboys thing...mot the NFL.
    :-O If that's the case my grandpa is rolling over in his grave.
    How can any fan and/or follower of the Cowboys or NFL really complain or just criticize Selena Gomez as a questionable half time choice. Any body remember the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders telemovies? How the Cowboys used sex to sell their brand? The NFL is the refuge of hot blooded American male and Selena Gomez fits right in it's core audience. C'mon guys, really? Almost every team has cheerleaders with routines much like Gomez's half time show.
  • Options
    Sure she's eye candy. I'm not disputing that. Its the increasing trend of pop artists doing halftime shows. I don't suspect the masses of football watching hot blooded American men having Selena Gomez queued up on their playlist.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited November 2013
    Selena Gomez > Nickelback

edit: Anyone > Nickelback
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Greg said:

Its the increasing trend of pop artists doing halftime shows. I don't suspect the masses of football watching hot blooded American men having Selena Gomez queued up on their playlist.

It is not about getting football fans or American men to watch. The NFL already knows that they have that demo locked up. The purpose of these half time shows are to draw the non football fans to the tv sets - wives, teenage girls, weird guys who think nickelback rocks, etc.

The more eyes on the halftime show, the more advertising they can sell. And maybe the non footballs fans who watch Selena then stick around and watch the 3rd quarter.

Much like comic book publishers, the NFL believes that attracting new customers is more important than serving the established customer.
  • Options
    Does the NFL really have the problem of attracting new viewers though? Maybe in some local markets they do, but on a national and even global scale I don't think so.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    fredzilla said:

Anyone > Nickelback

Just about.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Okay, so I'm sitting there in my post-Iron Bowl induced haze when the local news comes on...And this happens!!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    fredzilla said:

:)) :)>- =D> B-)
  • Options
    Matt said:

Greetings my dear friends at the NSA. Sorry got no incriminating words to put down right now. Have a break. Laters.

Haha, sometimes I think I'm the only one who's not bothered, surprised, or wants to discourage this behavior by the NSA!

M
    Well, I for one WELCOME our new high-tech overlords.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Sean Bean's playing MacBeth.

Spoiler: He dies.

Dammit... I was going to see that TODAY. Thanks a lot. You really shouldn't post spoilers until after opening millenium.
  • Options
    This came out a few weeks ago and is on sale for $10 (HD)/$8 (standard) on iTunes. I just bought it. Anyone seen it? What did you think? I'll give you my two cents once I watch it.

http://youtu.be/KtmV7-f_j7Y
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I forgot that one of our local eateries was on Restaurant Impossible this past weekend.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

This came out a few weeks ago and is on sale for $10 (HD)/$8 (standard) on iTunes. I just bought it. Anyone seen it? What did you think? I'll give you my two cents once I watch it.

The current issue of Mental Floss has a (hold on to your butt) INTERVIEW with Watterson. Not sure if it's on the website, or not.
  • Options
    I picked up the three pack of "The World's End," "Shaun of the Dead," & "Hot Fuzz" today. It came with digital copy codes. I already have "Hot Fuzz" so I thought I would offer the code here for free. It's only for "Hot Fuzz" (R) and only for iTunes. First response that wants it. I'll PM you the code. If it does not work for whatever reason, I'm not held libel or responsible. Cheers!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Tonebone said:

fredzilla said:

The current issue of Mental Floss has a (hold on to your butt) INTERVIEW with Watterson. Not sure if it's on the website, or not.
    I love the Mental Floss list shows on YouTube.

• Options
    fredzilla said:

I picked up the three pack of "The World's End," "Shaun of the Dead," & "Hot Fuzz" today. It came with digital copy codes. I already have "Hot Fuzz" so I thought I would offer the code here for free. It's only for "Hot Fuzz" (R) and only for iTunes. First response that wants it. I'll PM you the code. If it does not work for whatever reason, I'm not held libel or responsible. Cheers!

Edit: Taken. Thanks for playing!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    My son is a high school swimmer. His team wants to do a fundraiser to support the American Cancer Society as several team families, including the coach's sister and my wife have been impacted recently.

I'm looking for ideas for things that might get included in a silent auction that would be held at a swim meet in just under two weeks (only two home meets this season).
  • Options
    A lot of the silent auctions I've seen and taken part in get items donated from local businesses. Gift cards, certificates, free services (oil change, rotate tires, etc.). Have the business note the price such a service is worth ("A $35 value") so that people won't get mad because they over bid. Another idea is to have a "money tree." Go cut a small/medium branch off a tree and stick it into a pot or styrofoam base and attach binder clips or clothes pins to the smaller branch. Then people take the cash in their pockets and attach it to the branch with the binder clip. Hope that helps a little.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited December 2013
    10 years ago today, the BSG mini-series premiered.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    hauberk said:

My son is a high school swimmer. His team wants to do a fundraiser to support the American Cancer Society as several team families, including the coach's sister and my wife have been impacted recently.

I'm looking for ideas for things that might get included in a silent auction that would be held at a swim meet in just under two weeks (only two home meets this season).

Are you looking for ideas or actual donations? Baked goods? Hire kids out to shovel snow or rake leaves or something?
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    random73 said:

hauberk said:

Are you looking for ideas or actual donations? Baked goods? Hire kids out to shovel snow or rake leaves or something?
    Currently more looking for ideas or contacts for items to include in the silent auction. Currently I've got messages in to USA Swimming, Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte, Matt Grevers, Mark Spitz and Rowdy Gaines (hoping for autographed souvenirs) as well as a couple of hair stylists and a local sporting goods shop.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I try not to have a collector's mentality but having all the volumes of a set except one which is now out of print and going for anywhere from 3 to 5 times cover price is frustrating.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited December 2013
    I've got a fun big fun old tv in my backroom. It's a great gaming tv for the gaming systems I play (genesis, nes, N64, or PS2). I'm not getting rid of it.
    However I'm starting to run into a problem, I'm getting more blu rays that I can't watch back there. I think I'm going to have to buy me a cheap bluray player and good hd tv (move our living room tv to my room).

It's a sad day when I have to make this consideration so I can watch Shogun Assassin - 5 Film Collection in peace.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited December 2013
    The best mainstream and superhero comics of 2013

according to the A.V.Club

20. Jai Nitz and Greg Smallwood, Dream Thief (Dark Horse)
    19. Jeff Lemire, Trillium (Vertigo)
    18. Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, Fatale (Image)
    17. Brian Azzarello, Cliff Chiang, et al., Wonder Woman (DC)
    16. Ales Kot, Michael Walsh, et al., Zero (Image)
    15. Mark Waid, Chris Samnee, et al., Daredevil (Marvel)
    14. Brandon Graham, Simon Roy, et al. Prophet (Image)
    13. Simon Spurrier, Tan Eng Huat, et al., X-Men: Legacy (Marvel)
    12. Mike Mignola, Hellboy In Hell (Dark Horse)
    11. Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples, Saga (Image)
    10. Frank J. Barbiere, Chris Mooneyham, et al., Five Ghosts (Image)
    09. Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber, The Superior Foes Of Spider-Man (Marvel)
    08. Jonathan Hickman and Nick Dragotta, East Of West (Image)
    07. Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez, Locke & Key: Omega and Alpha (IDW)
    06. Matt Fraction, Lee Allred, Michael Allred, FF (Marvel)
    05. Charles Soule, Kano, et al., Swamp Thing (DC)
    04. Kurt Busiek and Brent Anderson, Astro City (Vertigo)
    03. Matt Fraction, David Aja, et al., Hawkeye (Marvel)
    02. Eric Stephenson and Nate Bellegarde, Nowhere Men (Image)
    01. Matt Kindt, Mind MGMT (Dark Horse)

The whys and hows >>>

The best mainstream and superhero comics of 2013

a nice list and write-up

B-)
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    So, I come in to work yesterday morning. It's cold, really frakkin, single digit, -20 wind chill cold. I make the comment, "it's time to gut a Tauntaun". Guy looks us from his desk, 29 year old grown-ass man and says,"what's a Tauntaun?". I laugh and give him the Empire reference thinking its early and the dude just isn't awake yet. He says,"is that Star Wars? I've never seen it". :-O What!? Look you can only blame bad parenting for so long at some point you have to take responsibility for your own education. Even if you aren't into sci if geek stuff this is a basic cultural zeitgeist that this kid has NO reference for. It's like never having seen the Godfather for crying out loud.

Okay I'm done ranting now.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    random73 said:

So, I come in to work yesterday morning. It's cold, really frakkin, single digit, -20 wind chill cold. I make the comment, "it's time to gut a Tauntaun". Guy looks us from his desk, 29 year old grown-ass man and says,"what's a Tauntaun?". I laugh and give him the Empire reference thinking its early and the dude just isn't awake yet. He says,"is that Star Wars? I've never seen it". :-O What!? Look you can only blame bad parenting for so long at some point you have to take responsibility for your own education. Even if you aren't into sci if geek stuff this is a basic cultural zeitgeist that this kid has NO reference for. It's like never having seen the Godfather for crying out loud.

Okay I'm done ranting now.

I think you have discovered a Russian sleeper agent.