Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited November 2013
    OK.

Just to give a sense of what I'm talking about, I went to Amazon & entered "Iron Man" in the search field.

In the Toys & Games category, there were 3,337 items.

That's a lot of toys.

But wait, how about t-shirts & stuff?

Clothing: 1,341

Well, I guess that's about it, right?

Not hardly.

Appliances: 12

Arts, Crafts & Sewing: 123

Automotive: 374

Baby: 112

Beauty: 117

That's right, beauty. There's Iron Man cologne for Christ's sake!

Cellphones & Accessories: OK. Take a deep breath.

You ready?

You sure?

Cellphones & Accessories: 41,665

Forty One Thousand Iron Man items for cell phones.

Collectibles & Fine Art: 1,694

Grocery & Gourmet Food: 56

Pet Supplies: PET SUPPLIES!: 12

Every single Amazon category except Wine had Iron Man licensed products.

And Marvel/Disney gets licensing fees on every single one of those products whether they sell or not.

Does anyone still think they're worried about new readers?
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    WetRats said:

OK.

That's right, beauty. There's Iron Man cologne

I wonder what the cologne smells like?
    Does a suit of armor have a natural smell? I imagine the cologne smelling like money.
  • Options
    All Department hits for the following:

Iron Man: 96,237
    Spider-Man: 105,231
    Thor: 40,008
    Captain America: 28,812
    Avengers: 83,694
    Hulk: 41,905
    X-Men: 38,633
    Wolverine: 54,939

Superman: 148,708
    Batman: 173,493
    Wonder Woman: 19,988
    Green Lantern: 20,351
    Justice League: 17,001
    Joker: 56,880

Of course, some of these will be false matches, and some will be duplicates, but the overall effect is kinda mind-boggling, isn't it?.
  • Options
    I wonder what the relative sizes are of DCE's licensing department and their comic book staff.
  • Options
    BTW: Remember these numbers the next time they have to raise the prices of comics.
  • Options

WetRats said:

OK.

Does a suit of armor have a natural smell? I imagine the cologne smelling like money.
    A resolutely sophisticated cologne forged from the sea, the sun, the earth, and a touch of devil-may-care whimsy. Transparent, aromatic, and modern in nature, Mark VII combines mandarin, neroli, nasturtium, and jasmine layered with light patchouli to create a contemporary expression of 'I don't play well with others' confidence; leaving you always ready for whatever a genius, billionaire, playboy-philanthropist might encounter along the way.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

I guess this is the 'no news is bad news' concept. I still don't think movies like Iron Man and the Avengers generate mass new readers for Marvel. I think the same for a shirt worn by a character on a TV show. And are the marketing images of Sheldon's comic book shirts to help sell the comic book product or illustrate his stereotype?

I would also argue that both DC and Marvel DO actually help promote their product. Wasn't the Avengers an almost 3 hour great ad for the company? Wasn't the Dark Knight trilogy the same for DC? What about the TV shows & cartoons? Don't great quality shows help promote the product? Look at the mass following for the Walking Dead. Again, I do not think any of these are generating mass new readers for the companies, but it is not promoting a stereotypical nerd/geek.

M

New readers are not the goal for Marvel or DC.

New licensees for t-shirts & toys are.

That's where the real money is.

Not in comics.

Not in movies.

In licensing fees.
    A thousand times yes! And it's been this way for decades. But we've had this discussion before on this board (or was it the last iteration?).

I think it's important to make the distinction, though, that the people working in editorial (yes, even those people—you know the ones I mean) care about the comics first and foremost, despite what anyone may think otherwise. But the people they work for care only about the money, and the money is in licensing.

I’m not particularly a fan of TBBT. The three or four episodes I’ve seen were okay, but nothing special as far as I’m concerned. Yeah, it plays more to stereotype than not (but so do most TV shows), but it does sell comics-related T-shirts, and that’s all that really matters, right?
  • Options

A thousand times yes! And it's been this way for decades. But we've had this discussion before on this board (or was it the last iteration?).

I just think it's important to remind ourselves once in a while.
  • Options

I think it's important to make the distinction, though, that the people working in editorial (yes, even those people—you know the ones I mean) care about the comics first and foremost, despite what anyone may think otherwise. But the people they work for care only about the money, and the money is in licensing.

Really? Even THAT guy? ;)
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Yeah, I guess people do sometimes forget about it when the movies and TV shows are considered more “visible.”
    WetRats said:

Yes, even Didio. :P
  • Options

WetRats said:

Yeah, I guess people do sometimes forget about it when the movies and TV shows are considered more “visible.”
    WetRats said:

Yes, even Didio. :P
    You know me so well. :D
  • Options
    A costume for your dog *or* cat.

I am Iron Mutt!

• Options
    You can't make this shit up.

An official Iron Man tongue stud.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    WetRats said:

An official Iron Man tongue stud.

That's what she said.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited November 2013
    Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

True enough but millions of people watch The Big Bang Theory and when those people see the show, they see comic references, sic-fi references and other geeky stuff. Would you rather they not wear the shirts or talk about these kinds of things because you don't like the show? To be fair, these movies are great and people go and watch them and yes, it does promote the companies but in a way, so does The Big Bang Theory.

I just watched the "controversial" episode where the girls of the show go to a comic book shop and buy some comics to talk about to see what the big deal was. I have to admit, I got a lot of joy watching the girls debate who could and couldn't pick up Thor's hammer. It was interesting and it was kind of funny. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it has a massive following and the fact that it makes these references to things like comics and Star Trek and Doctor Who and Lord of the Rings as well as other stuff is kind of cool.

I don't think that this show or the comic movies or the television shows brings in new readers but at least it showcases it and The Big Bang Theory does a good job at showcasing these great products.

Partly, I dislike the show because it's laughing at a niche I have been associated with. I'll admit, I have seen more episodes then I care to because my wife watching reruns on TBS. With the exception of Penny kicking the dude who makes out with Bar Refaeli in that one Super Bowl commercial in the balls, the episodes without the female cast are unfunny. That was the first chuckle I found in the series until the other 2 girls joined the cast.

The series has not convinced me it's laughing with the niche, rather at the niche. CGS has several different hosts and none of them are in line with the 4 guys on the show. I don't recall seeing any non-socially inept, regular guys in the comic shop. They all seem to fall into the exact same type of mold. And for the record, I don't find the 'dumb blonde' jokes toward Penny any more funny then the ones directed toward Sheldon.

I recall watching Buffy and Angel (even Seinfeld) where they would reference sci-fi and comic books and it feeling completely different then when they do it on this show. Much like Borat, I get the humor...I just don't find the humor funny.

I'm curious if there will ever be a show with 4 sports guys, one of which is the stereotypical dumb jock.

M
    Anyone out there watch Community? That show also portrays geek culture, but the argument has been made that Community is better at it than Big Bang Theory because because Community is written by people who actually are part of geek culture. In other words, Big Bang Theory looks at geekdom from the outside, Community looks at geekdom from the inside.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I like Community (esp seasons 2-3) just as much as Big Bang. I've never felt like Big Bang was dissing my niche. The jokes aren't (and can't be) written by non-geeks. I can't tell you how many times a non-geek friend or family member has looked at me after a Doctor Who reference on BB and said," I shouldn't get that joke".
  • Options
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

OK.

A resolutely sophisticated cologne forged from the sea, the sun, the earth, and a touch of devil-may-care whimsy. Transparent, aromatic, and modern in nature, Mark VII combines mandarin, neroli, nasturtium, and jasmine layered with light patchouli to create a contemporary expression of 'I don't play well with others' confidence; leaving you always ready for whatever a genius, billionaire, playboy-philanthropist might encounter along the way.
    The effort and creativity in this is impressive. =D>
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Sweet judas you people derailed a perfectly good thread with a topic. Excuse me, i'm going to hang out in the rasslin thread :P ;)
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Sweet judas you people derailed a perfectly good thread with a topic. Excuse me, i'm going to hang out in the rasslin thread :P ;)

If something is gonna derail a thread let that something be an Iron Man cologne discussion
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Saw Frozen with the family last night. Great family movie! Both of my kids (boy, 8 & girl, 3) loved it. I also think studios should start putting shorts at the beginning of all movies again.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

OK.

Just to give a sense of what I'm talking about, I went to Amazon & entered "Iron Man" in the search field.

In the Toys & Games category, there were 3,337 items.

That's a lot of toys.

But wait, how about t-shirts & stuff?

Clothing: 1,341

Well, I guess that's about it, right?

Not hardly.

Appliances: 12

Arts, Crafts & Sewing: 123

Automotive: 374

Baby: 112

Beauty: 117

That's right, beauty. There's Iron Man cologne for Christ's sake!

Cellphones & Accessories: OK. Take a deep breath.

You ready?

You sure?

Cellphones & Accessories: 41,665

Forty One Thousand Iron Man items for cell phones.

Collectibles & Fine Art: 1,694

Grocery & Gourmet Food: 56

Pet Supplies: PET SUPPLIES!: 12

Every single Amazon category except Wine had Iron Man licensed products.

And Marvel/Disney gets licensing fees on every single one of those products whether they sell or not.

To be fair, a search for Iron Man is also going to include triathlon related items. Regardless, your point is taken.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    random73 said:

I like Community (esp seasons 2-3) just as much as Big Bang. I've never felt like Big Bang was dissing my niche. The jokes aren't (and can't be) written by non-geeks. I can't tell you how many times a non-geek friend or family member has looked at me after a Doctor Who reference on BB and said," I shouldn't get that joke".

Agreed. think a lot of the jokes in Big Bang Theory are fairly written by people who "get it" because they are done in a way that someone who wasn't into that geeky thing wouldn't get. My wife doesn't watch Big Bang Theory because she didn't get the jokes for the most part. They are funny and I don't think they are laughing at us. The four main characters on the show all have distinct personalities with habits that other people find......unique. Having listened to the show, I think you can say all of the hosts, past and present have unique habits that others might find......interesting.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

To be fair, a search for Iron Man is also going to include triathlon related items. Regardless, your point is taken.

Yep. I disclaimed about that on the followup post. "Batman" on the other hand, is pretty much Batman.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited November 2013
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

Yep. I disclaimed about that on the followup post. "Batman" on the other hand, is pretty much Batman.
    Alas, even in his early 30s, Batboy will never be known as Batman :( Maybe he shouldn't have initially endorsed McCain for President!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_Boy_(character)

M
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    An American football question: When the quarterback wants to stop the clock quickly, he takes the snap and immediately spikes the ball. Why is this not intentional grounding?
  • Options
    Marathon said:

An American football question: When the quarterback wants to stop the clock quickly, he takes the snap and immediately spikes the ball. Why is this not intentional grounding?

To get an intentional grounding call, it must be deemed that the QB threw the ball away on purpose to avoid a sack or being hit which is not the case in a spike the ball at the line situation. The QB spikes the ball before he is under pressure.

Also for IG, the ball cannot land near any eligible reciever. While spiking the ball, either the running back, full back, or tight end are usually close to avoid a call.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited November 2013
    Did the NFL get its mancard revoked or something or Godell and his boys just a bunch of pop star loving fools?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    DARK HORSE DIGITAL CYBER MONDAY DEAL!
    11/26/2013 2:53pm
    In anticipation of the infamous holiday shopping weekend, Dark Horse Comics is giving you another killer deal for Cyber Monday. Dark Horse Digital is offering comics fans 50% off their entire order for 24 hours!

You can redeem this 50% discount with the coupon code ­­­­­­­­­­dhdcyber2013.

This offer is good for 24 hours beginning at midnight (PST) on Monday, December 2 ($20 cart minimum). Visit Digital.DarkHorse.com to take advantage of this amazing web store only offer. Sign up for the Dark Horse Digital Newsletter by Thanksgiving to get even more discounts (http://goo.gl/FP6Eva).

The free Dark Horse Digital comics app is now available worldwide through all modern web browsers and features cloud storage in both the Android and iOS apps.

Stop by Dark Horse Digital and get a massive discount on all the Dark Horse comics you could want and more!
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308

Marathon said:

To get an intentional grounding call, it must be deemed that the QB threw the ball away on purpose to avoid a sack or being hit which is not the case in a spike the ball at the line situation. The QB spikes the ball before he is under pressure.

Also for IG, the ball cannot land near any eligible reciever. While spiking the ball, either the running back, full back, or tight end are usually close to avoid a call.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Greg said:

Did the NFL get its mancard revoked or something or Godell and his boys just a bunch of pop star loving fools?

Actually, the Selena Gomez performance is more of a Dallas Cowboys thing...mot the NFL.