Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    So at the end of October, I finally finished my Master's degree in teaching. And now, I seem to have a lot more time on my hands. Drifting through Artist's Valley at this year's Denver Comic Con, I met a couple of really nice indie artists. While their work is far from bad or poor, I felt like I could probably do something similar. So I took a shot, and here's what I have to show for it:

My kids (8 and 3) say and do some of the most funny and weird things--they are after all, my kids. I decided to take what they do and say and convert it into comic strip form. These are simple and crude IMHO--I sketch on a physical sketch pad, take a picture of the sketch with my iPad and then use the Sketchbook Pro app to draw and color, finishing it off with the Halftone 2 app for that "comic" feel. Sure there is some ego boost I get out of sharing these, but really, I think they are genuinely funny and worth a few seconds of your time. I don't have any professional plans, this is all just for fun. Some people write blogs or record podcasts, I thought this could be my thing (and how cool would it be to add "amateur cartoonist" to business cards?!? :D ). Thanks!

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @fredzilla that's awesome stuff - hope to see more. Keep at it. Cheers.
  • Options
    Not bad, @fredzilla. Go for it, I say.

Joe is a great guy, @playdohsrepublic, and so is his son, so I expect his brother is too. Normally I would be surprised if he didn’t send you something—that’s just the kind of guy he is—but he isn’t able to draw much these days because his hands bother him too much. Still, you never know.
  • Options
    How the visual language of comics could have its roots in the ice age
    Psychologist and comics obsessive Neil Cohn believes cartoons have a sophisticated language all their own and a heritage that goes back to cave art. Here he breaks it down

How the visual language of comics could have its roots in the ice age
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    random73 said:
    Ooooh! a whole new batch!

Really liked "Superhero descending a Staircase."
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I know this should not bother me but i really dislike when people confuse my Capt Marvel (shazam) lightening bolt t shirt with being a Flash lightening bolt t shirt.
  • Options

I know this should not bother me but i really dislike when people confuse my Capt Marvel (shazam) lightening bolt t shirt with being a Flash lightening bolt t shirt.

Could be worse... They could be shouting "Bazinga!"
  • Options

Actually, i am ok with that.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    And extra street cred if they yelled "Zot!"
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I actually had someone recognize my Madman t-shirt. I was shocked.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    rebis said:

I actually had someone recognize my Madman t-shirt. I was shocked.

=D>
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Theres a website I found selling a lot of different types of t-shirts (TV shows, comics, movies, games, etc.). Some of the superhero shirts were described as "Sheldon's Flash shirt" or "Sheldon's Justice League shirt."

Irritating. Not everyone thinks that show is funny. Some people actually find Sheldon to be dreadfully unfunny.

M
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Matt said:

Theres a website I found selling a lot of different types of t-shirts (TV shows, comics, movies, games, etc.). Some of the superhero shirts were described as "Sheldon's Flash shirt" or "Sheldon's Justice League shirt."

Irritating. Not everyone thinks that show is funny. Some people actually find Sheldon to be dreadfully unfunny.

M
    Something we can agree on.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Matt said:

M
    But it's also doing more to put comics-related stuff in front of people's eyes than pretty much all of the other TV/movie efforts not directly based on comics properties combined.

So you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life. The facts of life.
  • Options

Matt said:

M
    But it's also doing more to put comics-related stuff in front of people's eyes than pretty much all of the other TV/movie efforts not directly based on comics properties combined.

So you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life. The facts of life.
    I think the movies like The Dark Knight & Avengers, TV series like Arrow & AoS, solid cartoons help the comics medium. Relating comics to a uber-annoying, nerdy stereotype keeps it in the realm it's been in prior to the above mentioned.

M
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Yes, but that show that had the über-annoying stereotype probably gets more viewers than the best selling comic out today has readers. I'm not defending the reason for having a description like "Sheldon Flash" shirt but people do associate certain characters with the Big Bang Theory show. If you look at the products that they have for the Big Bang Theory, you'll see Sheldon products wearing things like a Green Lantern shirt or a Flash shirt and to be honest, this show does more to promote comics than the actual companies do.
  • Options

Matt said:

M

The world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some...it takes different strokes, it takes different strokes to move the world.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

Yes, but that show that had the über-annoying stereotype probably gets more viewers than the best selling comic out today has readers. I'm not defending the reason for having a description like "Sheldon Flash" shirt but people do associate certain characters with the Big Bang Theory show. If you look at the products that they have for the Big Bang Theory, you'll see Sheldon products wearing things like a Green Lantern shirt or a Flash shirt and to be honest, this show does more to promote comics than the actual companies do.

I guess this is the 'no news is bad news' concept. I still don't think movies like Iron Man and the Avengers generate mass new readers for Marvel. I think the same for a shirt worn by a character on a TV show. And are the marketing images of Sheldon's comic book shirts to help sell the comic book product or illustrate his stereotype?

I would also argue that both DC and Marvel DO actually help promote their product. Wasn't the Avengers an almost 3 hour great ad for the company? Wasn't the Dark Knight trilogy the same for DC? What about the TV shows & cartoons? Don't great quality shows help promote the product? Look at the mass following for the Walking Dead. Again, I do not think any of these are generating mass new readers for the companies, but it is not promoting a stereotypical nerd/geek.

M
  • Options
    True enough but millions of people watch The Big Bang Theory and when those people see the show, they see comic references, sic-fi references and other geeky stuff. Would you rather they not wear the shirts or talk about these kinds of things because you don't like the show? To be fair, these movies are great and people go and watch them and yes, it does promote the companies but in a way, so does The Big Bang Theory.

I just watched the "controversial" episode where the girls of the show go to a comic book shop and buy some comics to talk about to see what the big deal was. I have to admit, I got a lot of joy watching the girls debate who could and couldn't pick up Thor's hammer. It was interesting and it was kind of funny. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it has a massive following and the fact that it makes these references to things like comics and Star Trek and Doctor Who and Lord of the Rings as well as other stuff is kind of cool.

I don't think that this show or the comic movies or the television shows brings in new readers but at least it showcases it and The Big Bang Theory does a good job at showcasing these great products.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited November 2013
    jaydee74 said:

I like Big Bang. "über-annoying stereotype" describes how I feel about Kevin Smith's dreadful Comic Book Men.
  • Options
    That's the term someone else used on this thread. I don't dislike the show or the characters of The Big Bang Theory. I particularly liked that episode I mentioned in a previous post. The guys are going to a convention and they decide to dress as Star Trek: The Next Generation characters. Things happen and there is a point where Sheldon is all too aware of their situation decides he wants to go home. I had never felt so bad for as I did at that moment and I saw a different side to Sheldon that I hope we see more of. I think it's a good show. Not great but good. I have never watched Comic Book Men and I think I never will but it just doesn't interest me.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

Matt said:

M

The world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some...it takes different strokes, it takes different strokes to move the world.
    I got tired of packin and unpackin...Town to town, up and down the dial...Maybe you and me were never meant to be...Just try to think of me once and awhile...I'm at WKRP in Cincinnati.
  • Options
    I like The Big Bang Theory. There are always some good laughs in it. It is definitely not mean-spirited towards geeks and nerds.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

True enough but millions of people watch The Big Bang Theory and when those people see the show, they see comic references, sic-fi references and other geeky stuff. Would you rather they not wear the shirts or talk about these kinds of things because you don't like the show? To be fair, these movies are great and people go and watch them and yes, it does promote the companies but in a way, so does The Big Bang Theory.

I just watched the "controversial" episode where the girls of the show go to a comic book shop and buy some comics to talk about to see what the big deal was. I have to admit, I got a lot of joy watching the girls debate who could and couldn't pick up Thor's hammer. It was interesting and it was kind of funny. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it has a massive following and the fact that it makes these references to things like comics and Star Trek and Doctor Who and Lord of the Rings as well as other stuff is kind of cool.

I don't think that this show or the comic movies or the television shows brings in new readers but at least it showcases it and The Big Bang Theory does a good job at showcasing these great products.

Partly, I dislike the show because it's laughing at a niche I have been associated with. I'll admit, I have seen more episodes then I care to because my wife watching reruns on TBS. With the exception of Penny kicking the dude who makes out with Bar Refaeli in that one Super Bowl commercial in the balls, the episodes without the female cast are unfunny. That was the first chuckle I found in the series until the other 2 girls joined the cast.

The series has not convinced me it's laughing with the niche, rather at the niche. CGS has several different hosts and none of them are in line with the 4 guys on the show. I don't recall seeing any non-socially inept, regular guys in the comic shop. They all seem to fall into the exact same type of mold. And for the record, I don't find the 'dumb blonde' jokes toward Penny any more funny then the ones directed toward Sheldon.

I recall watching Buffy and Angel (even Seinfeld) where they would reference sci-fi and comic books and it feeling completely different then when they do it on this show. Much like Borat, I get the humor...I just don't find the humor funny.

I'm curious if there will ever be a show with 4 sports guys, one of which is the stereotypical dumb jock.

M
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Matt said:

I guess this is the 'no news is bad news' concept. I still don't think movies like Iron Man and the Avengers generate mass new readers for Marvel. I think the same for a shirt worn by a character on a TV show. And are the marketing images of Sheldon's comic book shirts to help sell the comic book product or illustrate his stereotype?

I would also argue that both DC and Marvel DO actually help promote their product. Wasn't the Avengers an almost 3 hour great ad for the company? Wasn't the Dark Knight trilogy the same for DC? What about the TV shows & cartoons? Don't great quality shows help promote the product? Look at the mass following for the Walking Dead. Again, I do not think any of these are generating mass new readers for the companies, but it is not promoting a stereotypical nerd/geek.

M

New readers are not the goal for Marvel or DC.

New licensees for t-shirts & toys are.

That's where the real money is.

Not in comics.

Not in movies.

In licensing fees.
  • Options

Matt said:

M

I got tired of packin and unpackin...Town to town, up and down the dial...Maybe you and me were never meant to be...Just try to think of me once and awhile...I'm at WKRP in Cincinnati.
    Come and listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed. A poor mountaineer, barely kept his fam'ly fed, but then one he was shootin' at some food, when up from the ground come a'bubblin' crude. Oil, that is. Black gold. Texas tea.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    WetRats said:

New readers are not the goal for Marvel or DC.

New licensees for t-shirts & toys are.

That's where the real money is.

Not in comics.

Not in movies.

In licensing fees.

And let's not forget video games.

I wouldn't be surprised if that stupid Mortal Combat style DC fighting game made DC Entertainment more money last year than comics and Man of Steel put together.
  • Options
    But even the video games are drop in the bucket compared to the Underoos and action figures and t-shirts and birthday napkins and pencils and other such stuff with logos or pictures of the characters on them.