Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    David_D said:

Boxing up 5 bookcases of trades for a move is starting to make me rethink my dislike of digital comics.

It's why I'm switching over. "Hmm..I can put this 2 TB drive in my pocket...WIN!"

And here I thought you were just glad to see me.
    Why can't it be both?

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Thought I'd continue my Guardians buzz by watching James Gunn's other film Super.

Oops.

Now I need to watch something very happy as a purgative.
  • Options
    For @Mr_Cosmic‌ ...

"Spanning the Cosmos: 10 Greatest Marvel Cosmic Storylines"

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/24/spanning-the-cosmos-10-greatest-marvel-cosmic-storylines/

10. Secret Wars
    9. “The Korvac Saga” (Avengers #167-177)
    8. “The Final Threat” (Avengers Annual #7, Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2)
    7. Annihilation
    6. “The Trial of Galactus” (Fantastic Four #242-244, 252-255, 257-262)
    5. The Infinity Gauntlet
    4. “The Dark Phoenix Saga” (X-Men #129-138)
    3. “The Kree/Skrull War” (Avengers #89-97)
    2. “The Magus Saga” (Strange Tales #178-181, Warlock #9-11)
    1. “The Coming of Galactus” (Fantastic Four #48-50)

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

For @Mr_Cosmic‌ ...

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/24/spanning-the-cosmos-10-greatest-marvel-cosmic-storylines/

10. Secret Wars
    7. Annihilation
    5. The Infinity Gauntlet

That's a good list with some very worthy storylines. I might change the order a bit. The only one I'm not sure deserves to be there is Secret Wars. I'm not much of a fan of that story and could probably think of something more deserving.

• Options
    I think the Kree/Skrull War is a bit over-rated myself, but given it's place in history I guess I can't quibble with it making the list. As for the order, personally, I'd put Annihilation #1, but that's just me. I'd also have included Jim Hickman's "Infinity" storyline as well as the Defenders / Guardians of the Galaxy war against the Badoon Empire in Defenders #26-29, a personal favorite of mine.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The only one I'm not sure deserves to be there is Secret Wars. I'm not much of a fan of that story and could probably think of something more deserving.

Generous.

Secret Wars is neither Great nor Cosmic.
  • Options

For @Mr_Cosmic‌ ...

10. Secret Wars
    7. Annihilation
    5. The Infinity Gauntlet

It's missing the Captain Marvel/Thanos story, Thanos Quest, Annihilation Conquest, Galactic Storm, FF 171 - 176, Gerber's Man Thing, and quite a few others....

I'd rank any random issue of Skull the Slayer above Secret Wars. Then again, I'd rank getting kicked for an hour in the taint above Secret Wars.
  • Options

I think the Kree/Skrull War is a bit over-rated myself, but given it's place in history I guess I can't quibble with it making the list. As for the order, personally, I'd put Annihilation #1, but that's just me. I'd also have included Jim Hickman's "Infinity" storyline as well as the Defenders / Guardians of the Galaxy war against the Badoon Empire in Defenders #26-29, a personal favorite of mine.

Agreed!! I'd also throw in the story right after in The Defenders as well. We're all Bozos.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

For @Mr_Cosmic‌ ...

10. Secret Wars
    7. Annihilation
    5. The Infinity Gauntlet

That's a good list with some very worthy storylines. I might change the order a bit. The only one I'm not sure deserves to be there is Secret Wars. I'm not much of a fan of that story and could probably think of something more deserving.

Interesting. The only one I haven't read is Annihilation. I may have to add that to my list.

And Secret Wars definitely deserves to be there -- you don't get much more cosmic than the Beyonder!
  • Options

It's missing the Captain Marvel/Thanos story, Thanos Quest, Annihilation Conquest, Galactic Storm, FF 171 - 176, Gerber's Man Thing, and quite a few others....

I may be giving them too much credit, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that Annihilation Conquest is part of Anniliation.

What is the Captain Marvel / Thanos story?

• Options

And Secret Wars definitely deserves to be there -- you don't get much more cosmic than the Beyonder!

There was nothing cosmic in scope about Secret Wars. Just because it was set on a different planet, does not make it cosmic.

And the Beyonder was, until Doomsday, the most ill-conceived, poorly-executed "major" villain ever.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

There was nothing cosmic in scope about Secret Wars. Just because it was set on a different planet, does not make it cosmic.

And the Beyonder was, until Doomsday, the most ill-conceived, poorly-executed "major" villain ever.
    I did like the Steve Englehart explained he was a messed up Cosmic Cube.

But yeah, terrible story that Jim Shooter used as a cudgel to beat writers over the head with for the rest of his Marvel Tenure as "How to write comics." I guess it was cool if you read it when you were 12, but I was 20, and it was sub-literate.
  • Options

I may be giving them too much credit, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that Annihilation Conquest is part of Anniliation.

What is the Captain Marvel / Thanos story?

Starlin's run on Captain Marvel: 25 - 33

WAY cool 70's cosmic stuff.
  • Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with including Secret Wars under the cosmic banner. It's such a broad category..I think it's up to the reader to decide. Are those Ditko Doctor Strange issues with Eternity cosmic? Some might say yes while others would say no.

• Options
    I don't understand how anyone could hate a comic that included this scene:
  • Options
    WetRats said:

No, I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree on all counts. The Beyonder was an entity from another universe -- in fact, he was that other universe! -- who was able to affect things on a very cosmic scale. I don't even see him as a 'villain', per se, but as an individual seeking understanding who wrought all kinds of havoc during that search. I enjoyed both series, I and II, even though the endings were, admittedly, weak. (Same with Doomsday, who was more of a violent force of nature than a 'villain', who propelled Superman into one of the greatest slugfests ever portrayed in comics.) (And I hated those later stories that tried to explain the Beyonder away as either a sentient Cosmic Cube or a mutant Inhuman -- sheesh!) Those stories, along with DC's Crisis On Infinite Earths, are among my very favorite 'cosmic' stories. (Doomsday falls into another category; not so cosmic.)
  • Options

WetRats said:

No, I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree on all counts. The Beyonder was an entity from another universe -- in fact, he was that other universe! -- who was able to affect things on a very cosmic scale. I don't even see him as a 'villain', per se, but as an individual seeking understanding who wrought all kinds of havoc during that search. I enjoyed both series, I and II, even though the endings were, admittedly, weak. (Same with Doomsday, who was more of a violent force of nature than a 'villain', who propelled Superman into one of the greatest slugfests ever portrayed in comics.) (And I hated those later stories that tried to explain the Beyonder away as either a sentient Cosmic Cube or a mutant Inhuman -- sheesh!) Those stories, along with DC's Crisis On Infinite Earths, are among my very favorite 'cosmic' stories. (Doomsday falls into another category; not so cosmic.)
    I so detest all things Beyonderish that I went from reading every Marvel comic to zero Marvel comics halfway through Secret Wars II.

Same thing that happened with Civil War after I'd finally forgiven them.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28672121

An article about wikipedia's removal of links in the 'right to forget' legal ruling reveals an interesting bit:

"The Wikimedia Foundation has also published its first transparency report - following a similar practice by Google, Twitter and others.

Wikipedia has refused to remove this photo of a monkey from its site
    It reveals that the organisation received 304 general content removal requests between July 2012 and June 2014, none of which it complied with.

They included a takedown request from a photographer who had claimed he owned the copyright to a series of selfies taken by a monkey.

Gloucestershire-based David Slater had rotated and cropped the images featured on the site.

But the foundation rejected his claim on the grounds that the monkey had taken the photo, and was therefore the real copyright owner."

In the immortal words of Blue Beetle "Bwa-ha-ha!"
  • Options
    Didn't somebody archive John Byrne's battle with Wikipedia?
  • Options

Would you classify it as "groovy"?

• Options

Un-ironically so.
  • Options

I'd classify it as "far out".
  • Options
    It's good, but heavy. I mean it isn't exactly light hearted fun. Lots of "who am I?" and battling inner demons. Starlin also takes organized religion to task. That being said, I love it..and the art is amazing.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

It's good, but heavy. I mean it isn't exactly light hearted fun. Lots of "who am I?" and battling inner demons. Starlin also takes organized religion to task. That being said, I love it..and the art is amazing.

Jim Starlin ALWAYS takes organized religion to task.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Warlock had Universal Church of Truth...The Church of The Instrumentality in Dreadstar. Sometimes it gets repetitive.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Warlock had Universal Church of Truth...The Church of The Instrumentality in Dreadstar. Sometimes it gets repetitive.
    Lord Papal, one of the most unsubtle (and ungrammatical) names in comic book history.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I am finally reading the Crisis on Infinite Earths thesis by one Adam Murdough
  • Options
    I think another candidate for best Marvel cosmic stories would be the "Celestial Madonna" storyline in Avengers 129-135(?). The actual plot with Mantis becoming the Celestial Madonna was kinda "meh" but the run also tells the fascinating origin of the Kree-Skrull war which, to this day, was one of my favorite stories ever.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Fat Free Chocolate Milk is a waste of time.

just saying.