Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    @SolitaireRose‌ To be honest, I was leaning towards Indiegogo...But; let's face it; Kickstarter is the most visible of the crowdfunding sites.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I sometimes hear it said that the movies never lead to sales of affiliated comics. Well, it may be that direct market buyers (or, at least, their representatives, the retailers) disagree as Rocket Raccoon #1 was the top selling Marvel book in July.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I'm almost 50 and just saw my first Randolph Scott western.

How is that possible?
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    rebis said:

How is that possible?

I'm 44 and have never seen The Searchers, or Apocalypse Now.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    "You'd do it for Randolph Scott."
    "Randolph Scott?!?"
    "RAAAAN-DOLPH SCOTTTT!!!"

/Had to be done
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    That is strange, considering they hired her for her Doctorate in Global Telecommunications Networking Infrastructure (with a minor in Elizabethan Poetry).
  • Options
    WetRats said:

The greatest injustice was that Fred MacMurray never got to play Captain Marvel.

*awkward silence ensues*
    Fred MacMurray, handsome leading man, was the model for Captain Marvel's face.

And Elvis copied his hairstyle from Captain Marvel, Jr.

Actually, the prevailing theory is not Fred MacMurray, but Max Schmelling... German boxer. I read about this in an issue of Alter Ego.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Torchsong said:

"You'd do it for Randolph Scott."
    "Randolph Scott?!?"
    "RAAAAN-DOLPH SCOTTTT!!!"

/Had to be done

You beat me to it.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

WetRats said:

The greatest injustice was that Fred MacMurray never got to play Captain Marvel.

*awkward silence ensues*

Actually, the prevailing theory is not Fred MacMurray, but Max Schmelling... German boxer. I read about this in an issue of Alter Ego.
    Wow.

Never saw this before.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Tonebone said:

WetRats said:

*awkward silence ensues*

Seems obscure. Are we sure it's not a case of finding someone who looks like CM after the fact?

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    rebis said:

How is that possible?

Easy...they don't show them often any more, and unless you are on the hunt for B (and C) level westerns, you won't see him. There were a lot of cowboy stars of the 30's and 40's whose works you'll only see if you buy them in the big "100 Westerns for $20" dvd packs.

I'm 50, and just in the last 5 years or so have I gotten deep into the spaghetti westerns. Still haven't seen "Once Upon A Time In The West", which means I have a long way to go.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited August 2014
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Tonebone said:

WetRats said:

*awkward silence ensues*

Seems obscure. Are we sure it's not a case of finding someone who looks like CM after the fact?

Who knows what the real story is but Schemelling in the 30's was far more famous than McMurray. He was the heavyweight champ for two years in the early 30's when being champ made you one of the most famous men in the western world. He had two hugely famous fights in the mid to late 30's with Joe Louis.

McMurray was a movie star in the late 30's but he did not become a huge star until the war years after Capt Marvel was in print.

It makes more sense to me for it to be McMurray but the Schemelling idea is not out of reach.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Tonebone said:

WetRats said:

*awkward silence ensues*

Max Schelling was freaking huge. An international superstar. Nothing obscure about him.
  • Options

Still haven't seen "Once Upon A Time In The West", which means I have a long way to go.

You're in for a treat.

Brutal opening sequence.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I suppose I should have looked him up first..the guy Joe Louis fought? D'oh!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

rebis said:

How is that possible?

Easy...they don't show them often any more, and unless you are on the hunt for B (and C) level westerns, you won't see him. There were a lot of cowboy stars of the 30's and 40's whose works you'll only see if you buy them in the big "100 Westerns for $20" dvd packs.

I'm 50, and just in the last 5 years or so have I gotten deep into the spaghetti westerns. Still haven't seen "Once Upon A Time In The West", which means I have a long way to go.
    the Denver area has a new OTA DTV station that shows nothing but old western movies, serials, and TV shows. I've been watching the hell out of it.
    Just finished watching Randoph Scott in Gunfighters this morning. I think I've enjoyed the early Roy Rogers movies with the Son's of the Pioneers more then anything else. Dale Evans is no where to be seen and Roy acts like a Captain Kirk on horseback. Funny stuff.
  • Options
    I was at Sam's yesterday and found "The Complete Flash Gordon". All of the Buster Crabb movie serials. Lots of great fun.
    Btw, Jean Rogers ... HUBBA FREAKIN HUBBA!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Finally saw the season finale of Penny Dreadful.
    Disappointing. I was disappointed with how Dorian Grey was handled and I had guessed Brona Croft's fate and Ethan Chandler's secret about half way through the season. However, the series is very well done and wonderfully acted. The LoEG take on Universal Monsters is a great idea. I'm all in for Season 2.
  • Options
    If I recall -- and I may be mistaken; I need to dig out a book or two to check on this factoid -- Captain Marvel's main artist and co-creator, C C Beck, had a talent for drawing famous personalities (and I think he had been doing so for one of Fawcett's movie magazines at the time before being drafted for CM) and chose MacMurray as the model for Cap's face.

Pretty sure this was what I'd read long ago; not sure now if this was a true fact or not -- or if I'm even remembering it correctly.
  • Options

If I recall -- and I may be mistaken; I need to dig out a book or two to check on this factoid -- Captain Marvel's main artist and co-creator, C C Beck, had a talent for drawing famous personalities (and I think he had been doing so for one of Fawcett's movie magazines at the time before being drafted for CM) and chose MacMurray as the model for Cap's face.

Pretty sure this was what I'd read long ago; not sure now if this was a true fact or not -- or if I'm even remembering it correctly.

That's what I'd always heard as well.

That smiling Schelling is pretty uncanny though,
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Is there a good news site to look at for actual information?
    Fox and MSNBC aren't news. Sometime in the early 2000s CNN started publishing Washington press releases and calling that journalism.

I just want a site to see lots of information about what is happening in the world that doesn't lean to far one way or the other.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Fox and MSNBC aren't news. Sometime in the early 2000s CNN started publishing Washington press releases and calling that journalism.

I just want a site to see lots of information about what is happening in the world that doesn't lean to far one way or the other.

That's a great question. It's to the point where one has to watch both networks and then try to hammer out a middle viewpoint.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    mwhitt80 said:

I tend to go to BBC or Reuters
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    What hauberk said...I use BBC for most world news or if I want an unbiased view of what's going on in our country.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Personally I like using sites like Fox News and The Drudgereport along with MSNBC and HuffPost..it sort of gives me views from both sides. A lot of times it isn't how they report the stories but which ones they choose to include/ignore.

The Daily Mail is a tabloid but they have a lot of interesting stories that aren't covered by the major news services. Though I do not recommend using them as your primary news source.
  • Options
    So that Action Comics #1 that recently went for $3.2M ... does anyone know the history of the book? Where it originally came from? Who owned it, etc?
  • Options

So that Action Comics #1 that recently went for $3.2M ... does anyone know the history of the book? Where it originally came from? Who owned it, etc?

There is a brief history of the book in the later half of the cbr article
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    hauberk said:

mwhitt80 said:

I tend to go to BBC or Reuters
    I throw in NPR as well. They are the best news organization in the US at this point, not that there is much competition.

• Options

Surprisingly, the shop where the owner was keeping it (which he also owns and runs) is not that far from where I live -- right here in my little town.

I throw in NPR as well. They are the best news organization in the US at this point, not that there is much competition.

Yeah, I generally get my news from NPR and PBS. They generally do better analyses.
  • Options
    I listen to npr everyday. I normally don't goto the website