Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

mwhitt80 said:

Is there a good news site to look at for actual information?
    Fox and MSNBC aren't news. Sometime in the early 2000s CNN started publishing Washington press releases and calling that journalism.

I just want a site to see lots of information about what is happening in the world that doesn't lean to far one way or the other.

I tend to go to BBC or Reuters
    I throw in NPR as well. They are the best news organization in the US at this point, not that there is much competition.

I've had some issues with NPR. Not so much their news as much as the segments. They did one last winter that actually looked at my hometown (also the hometown of the correspondent). The final piece, as released was pretty much a hatchet job that focused entirely on the negative side of small town midwestern life. There's no doubt that the things that were said were true, but they were less than half of a story that likely gets much more traction in metro areas and advances a stereotype that is not at all representative of the majority of that community.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

hauberk said:

mwhitt80 said:

Fox and MSNBC aren't news. Sometime in the early 2000s CNN started publishing Washington press releases and calling that journalism.

I just want a site to see lots of information about what is happening in the world that doesn't lean to far one way or the other.

I throw in NPR as well. They are the best news organization in the US at this point, not that there is much competition.

Oops. Sorry. I fell asleep there for a second. What did you say?*

*the effect most NPR "shows" have on me ;)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

hauberk said:

mwhitt80 said:

Seconded.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

There is a brief history of the book in the later half of the cbr article

Excellent! Thanks @mwhitt80‌!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    A "pristine" (CGC 9.0) copy of Action Comics No. 1 just sold for $3,207,852 on an eBay auction Sunday night: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1-June-1938-Supermans-Debut-CGC-9-0-Perfect-White-Pages-/311050328393

This sale outdid the past $2,161,000 paid for a slightly less pristine copy that was auctioned in 2011. This record-breaking auction started on August 14 with a bid of $1 million and then gradually flew ever higher over the next 10 days, drawing in 13 different bidders with a total of 48 bids. As with most eBay auctions, the action heated up over the final minutes as the bidding quickly jumped from $2.5 million to $2.6 million to $2.7 million before shooting up to $3,207,752. But at virtually the last few seconds, the winning bidder automatically won with an offer of $3,207,852 to take home the holy grail of comics. This item became most expensive comic book ever sold on eBay.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    If you found one in exactly the same condition as this in your attic. Would you sell it or keep it???
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    luke52 said:

If you found one in exactly the same condition as this in your attic. Would you sell it or keep it???

Sell it...I need the money.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

luke52 said:

Sell it...I need the money.

Agreed. For me it would be like owning a Ferrari and not having a garage to store it in.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    luke52 said:

I'd sell it, I have no connection to the book or the character.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    luke52 said:

I'd look at it for a day or two then it's time to sell. Remember once you sell it you need to hold back about 30% for taxes.
  • Options
    Ditto. It would be cool owning a piece of history for a couple days, but then I'd sell sell sell.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Maybe I'd buy a way lesser copy of Action #1 with some the proceeds
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    rebis said:

Finally saw the season finale of Penny Dreadful.
    Disappointing. I was disappointed with how Dorian Grey was handled and I had guessed Brona Croft's fate and Ethan Chandler's secret about half way through the season. However, the series is very well done and wonderfully acted. The LoEG take on Universal Monsters is a great idea. I'm all in for Season 2.

If you liked the concept of Penny Dreadful, then you have to read Anno Dracula by Kim Newman.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Sell it. But I'd want to read it first.

...which means breaking it out of the package...
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

luke52 said:

Use the money from the sale to buy every DC Archive ever...it's reproduced in full in those.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Sell it. I could be a larger house and more comics with the proceeds.
  • Options

luke52 said:

Use the money from the sale to buy every DC Archive ever...it's reproduced in full in those.
    Not quite true -- the Superman stories are reprinted, yes, but none of the other features, like Zatara or Congo Bill. And I'd actually be interested in seeing the period ads inside the book, just out of curiosity.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

luke52 said:

Since I can't put it in a frame next to my NM copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 and Captain American #100, I'd have to sell it.
  • Options

luke52 said:

Not quite true -- the Superman stories are reprinted, yes, but none of the other features, like Zatara or Congo Bill. And I'd actually be interested in seeing the period ads inside the book, just out of curiosity.
    Hm...I know it's been reprinted a few times in its entirety, I thought it was in an Archive. Let me dig a bit...OK, it was last reprinted in a Millennium edition in 2000.
  • Options
    I've just been reading some old Ragman floppies from the early 90s. One of my favorite things about reading old floppies is checking out the old ads. Also have a load of Iron Man books from the 70s, cool ads.

Does the Millennium also print the ads or just story conent? I would love to flick through the ads from a 1938 comic.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I would keep it for a few years and then sell it. I think it still has room to increase even more in value.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

I would sell it, and pay someone to create a line-for-line, halftonedot-for-halftonedot recreation of it, made entirely from the pigments obtained from pulped New 52 comics, and STILL have enough left over for an awesome car and house.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

I've just been reading some old Ragman floppies from the early 90s. One of my favorite things about reading old floppies is checking out the old ads. Also have a load of Iron Man books from the 70s, cool ads.

Does the Millennium also print the ads or just story conent? I would love to flick through the ads from a 1938 comic.

I think it reprints the ads.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Tonebone said:

luke52 said:

Just pulled out my copy to double-check, but no, it does not reprint the ads—only one 1/4-page house ad that ran underneath the last page of a story.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

Tonebone said:

luke52 said:

Just pulled out my copy to double-check, but no, it does not reprint the ads—only one 1/4-page house ad that ran underneath the last page of a story.
    Comments like this make people come back to these forums over and over again. \m/
  • Options
    Agreed.

"Robert Downey Jr. Calls ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ the Best Marvel Movie Yet"

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/robert-downey-jr-calls-guardians-galaxy-best-marvel-191409145.html
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Is it just me ...

or is Fuzzy Zoeller tweeting for Chow.com
  • Options
    WetRats said:
    Because the DC movies are a no fun zone. Now shut up and watch the cities being destroyed and LIKE IT! Oh, you like football? HERE'S FOOTBALL PLAYERS BEING KILLED IN AN EARTHQUAKE! Now shut up or we kill MORE people you might like!
  • Options
    Just heard Pleasant Valley Sunday on the radio. Can't help but think of CGS whenever I hear it now!