Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Is "East of West" a continuing series, or a mini-series?

Nothing "mini" about it, but I believe there is a planned end to the story.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

Who puts gum on a roof?

"SHO'NUFF!!!"
    I rewatched the live-action Tick series yesterday.

Still the best live-action superhero series. (Sorry, Arrow.)
    I'll go along with that (especially since I didn't watch Arrow past the pilot episode). Of course, the cartoon is better than the live-action show, and the original comic series is better than the cartoon.
    I essentially agree, but each was such a different take on the concept that I love them all.

I was impressed, upon re-watching, by how straight the four leads play their roles. There is no winking at the camera. And the dialogue is rippingly good throughout.

When society says "Jump," we say "Pass the salsa."

It's the stink of justice you just can't shower off.

When you go to bed with evil incarnate, it always takes the covers.

Don't be a crybaby, be a TRYbaby.

How then does one procure this laminated rectangle of righteousness?
    Java devil, you are now my bitch.

Arthur and Thelma, sitting in a tree, J-7-9-p-x-r-w.

This wasn't really a magic hubcap... the magic was inside you, all along.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617

I'll go along with that (especially since I didn't watch Arrow past the pilot episode). Of course, the cartoon is better than the live-action show, and the original comic series is better than the cartoon.

I love the cartoon so much. Little Wooden boy is still one of my favorite sidekicks, ever.

"Gravity is a harsh mistress."
    "What good is science if no one gets hurt?"
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Java devil, you are now my bitch.

What's the situation? I'll tell you what the situation is. We've got a man shoved halfway up a robot's butt.

You've got to squeeze the milk of life into your dirty cup and drink it warm.

Are you Bat-Manual?

None comprehended.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    "You're on a first-name basis with reality! I still have to call it 'Mister'!"

And the toon' is a non-stop quote fest:

"Marriage? Whoa sister. I'm Die Fledermaus! The only person I'm in love with is me!"

"Deadly Bulb! I'm about to write you a reality check! Or would you prefer
    the cold, hard cash of truth?"

The Tick: "I've had enough chasing; it's your turn now, forest-smog!"
    Thrakazog: "Thrakazog! Thrakazog! With a 'K'! Boy, are you ever rude."
    Tongue-thing: "Eat rude brains!"
    The Tick: "No brains today; we're only serving humble-pie, Whatchamazog!"
    Thrakazog: "Listen buddy, for the last time it's..."
    The Tick: "Four ax in a bog?"
    Thrakazog: "Thrakkorzog!"
    The Tick: "Ah, laxitive-log!"
    Thrakazog: "No no no!"
    The Tick: "Lap lands a zog?"
    Thrakazog: "No!"
    The Tick: "Two laplanders and a dog?"
    Thrakazog: "Thrak!"
    The Tick: "Sapsuckafrog!"
    Thrakazog: "No no no!"
    The Tick: "...Susan?"
    Thrakazog: "Oh, now you're doing it on purpose; how juvenile!"
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    WetRats said:

Nothing "mini" about it, but I believe there is a planned end to the story.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    "For a big guy your feet are freaky small"
    And now for some Comic goodness, by comic comic goodness I mean the only Tick quote I can remember.
    "Ninjas aren't dangerous. They're more afraid of you than you are of them"
  • Options
    "Anything in that poodle gun for me, baby?"
  • Options
    @TheOriginalGMan‌ Avengers Undercover is a sequel to Avengers Arena which initially involved a number of characters from Avengers Academy. And it centers around the newest Masters of Evil. But it's not very connected to current Avengers goings-ons
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

I took a long (multi-decade) break from comics, so please forgive some random (stupid) comics questions I have:

I don't read much DC, but I have been reading the "Futures End" series and I don't understand why Superman wears a motorcycle helmet 24/7?

Why is Magneto's power so weak these days?

In "Avengers Undercover" are the heroes actually supposed to be connected to The Avengers?

Speaking of which, does anyone else get confused by all the Avengers titles? Avengers, Avengers World, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Avengers Undercover, Secret Avengers, yada, yada. Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but I can't keep track of what book has what story arc.

Re- Magneto's weaker powers. That was a fallout of the AvX story. He was one of five mutants who shared the Phoenix Force and, as fallout, had their own powers weakened or made unreliable. I know Cyclops, Emma Frost, and Magick are experiencing the same (and I assume Colossus, too, though I am not reading the book he is in right now). You can find a detailed synopsis of that story here.

Re- All the different Avengers books

I don't find them confusing. I don't read all of them, and I don't think you need to. I just read the ones I like. They all seem to be doing their own thing. The ones that come the closest to crossing with each other are Avengers and New Avengers, but even in those cases I think you could just read one of them and be fine. Each one has their own thing they do, and lineup (with some characters in more than one).
  • Options

fredzilla said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

Who puts gum on a roof?

"SHO'NUFF!!!"

Patrick Warburton was perfectly cast.
    Patrick Warburton is almost always perfectly cast.
    One of the greatest injustices ever, is that Patrick Warburton never played Captain Marvel.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    David_D said:

Re- Magneto's weaker powers. That was a fallout of the AvX story. He was one of five mutants who shared the Phoenix Force and, as fallout, had their own powers weakened or made unreliable. I know Cyclops, Emma Frost, and Magick are experiencing the same (and I assume Colossus, too, though I am not reading the book he is in right now). You can find a detailed synopsis of that story here

Thanks, man! That helps a lot.
    David_D said:

Re- All the different Avengers books

I don't find them confusing. I don't read all of them, and I don't think you need to. I just read the ones I like. They all seem to be doing their own thing. The ones that come the closest to crossing with each other are Avengers and New Avengers, but even in those cases I think you could just read one of them and be fine. Each one has their own thing they do, and lineup (with some characters in more than one).

Eh, maybe "confusing" isn't the right word. Although, at first it absolutely was. I would have to stop and think "Okay, is "Avengers Undercover" or "Secret Avengers" the one with the secret Avengers SHIELD team, and which one is the one with the goofy kids?" I was fully anticipating "Covert Avengers" and "Clandestine Avengers" to appear as new titles to further gum up the works.

And until "Uncanny Avengers" (forgot that one) became "the one where they're all in an alternate reality on "Mutant World" I had to stop and think which one it was vs "The one with the AIM guys" and "The one with the teenage Spider-Girl character trying to save her former Inhuman teacher from the evil scientist chick." And even right now, I've been reading Vol 5 of "Avengers" and, without checking, can't even come up with a snarky synopsis thingy for it because I can't even remember which one it is.

Oh, shit ... maybe it's just Alzheimers?
  • Options

@TheOriginalGMan‌ Avengers Undercover is a sequel to Avengers Arena which initially involved a number of characters from Avengers Academy. And it centers around the newest Masters of Evil. But it's not very connected to current Avengers goings-ons

Thanks. I've been reading it (and liking it, for the most part), but through the first half dozen issues or so, was at a loss to explain any connection to the Avengers whatsoever. This helps.

• Options
    Anybody able to help a brother out with why Superman wears a motorcycle helmet in Futures End?
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    rebis said:

One of the greatest injustices ever, is that Patrick Warburton never played Captain Marvel.

That would have been the second greatest injustice. The greatest injustice was that Fred MacMurray never got to play Captain Marvel.
  • Options

The greatest injustice was that Fred MacMurray never got to play Captain Marvel.

*awkward silence ensues*

• Options
    rebis said:

fredzilla said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

Who puts gum on a roof?

"SHO'NUFF!!!"

I suppose now he could play Uncle Marvel. (So could I.)
  • Options

The greatest injustice was that Fred MacMurray never got to play Captain Marvel.

*awkward silence ensues*
    Fred MacMurray, handsome leading man, was the model for Captain Marvel's face.

And Elvis copied his hairstyle from Captain Marvel, Jr.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Ha! Did not know that. I can only envision Fred McMurray as Mr. Douglass complete with pipe and cardigan.

• Options
    I gotta say...

This would work for me.

The Rock to Play Captain Marvel?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I gotta say...

This would work for me.

I can see that. Johnson has a "big kid" quality to him.
    He would also be a bad ass Black Adam.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

fredzilla said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

Who puts gum on a roof?

"SHO'NUFF!!!"

I suppose now he could play Uncle Marvel. (So could I.)
    Edgar Buchanan is Uncle Marvel.

to bad he's dead.
  • Options

rebis said:

That would have been the second greatest injustice. The greatest injustice was that Fred MacMurray never got to play Captain Marvel.
    Fred MacMurray would have been AWESOME in the Adventures of Captain Marvel movie serial.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

I gotta say...

This would work for me.

I can see that. Johnson has a "big kid" quality to him.
    He would also be a bad ass Black Adam.
    Totally agree on the former. I don't know that I would believe him as Black Adam. As physically imposing as Johnson is, I don't think he is an actor with the sort of darkness to him you'd want for Black Adam.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

WetRats said:

Ha! Did not know that. I can only envision Fred McMurray as Mr. Douglass complete with pipe and cardigan.

Funny how I pretty much only know him from the excellent film noir movies he did, and can't picture him as a sit-com dad at all.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

Anybody able to help a brother out with why Superman wears a motorcycle helmet in Futures End?

I'm not reading it, but if they haven't explained it in the series itself it will. I read the first issue and have to agree with Mark Waid: It's the most New 52 of the New 52 books.

'nuff said.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    DC recently released a 12 issue collection of Ostrander and Mandrake's The Spectre. This is my first time reading this series and it's great. I'd heard good things about it in the past and I'm glad it turned out to be this enjoyable.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

DC recently released a 12 issue collection of Ostrander and Mandrake's The Spectre. This is my first time reading this series and it's great. I'd heard good things about it in the past and I'm glad it turned out to be this enjoyable.

The Fleisher/Aparo issues are still the best, IMHO.
  • Options
    Good interview with James Robinson of "All New Invaders." Fans of the series (or the silver age version) will find it interesting what they have in store:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54227