Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635
    Next thought if you wanted to have a lawn games olympics what games would you included?

Bocce and lawn darts, but what else?
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    mwhitt80 said:

Next thought if you wanted to have a lawn games olympics what games would you included?

Horseshoes of course.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    mwhitt80 said:

My family plays horseshoes, croquet and badminton
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Greg said:

mwhitt80 said:

My family plays horseshoes, croquet and badminton
    Calvinball!
  • I noticed. I kept checking the schedule for something other than kid’s nature shows, and cussing to myself things like, “Why does every kid’s show have to be educational!? Why so many fracking nature shows about animals and parks!?!? Where the $%#^*!!! is all the FUN!?!?!?”

Seriously. One or two of these type of shows are great and they go a long way – but if I was a kid, I wouldn’t be looking for schooling on a non-school day. And I’m sure not looking for it as an adult!

Makes me wish I had cable. Sort of. Well, more DVD watching for me, I suppose…

And, #fredzilla – I heartily agree with your assessment of the PBS kids shows; they’re educational too, but still fun to watch. (Though I miss Ruff Ruffman...)

• RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Okay; so my local newspaper (The Bismarck Tribune) just launched a new digital subscription service and current actual paper subscribers who register for the service not only get the digital edition for free, but also qualify for a chance to win an iPad air.

Funny thing is....The digital subscription software is flash based, which means that whoever wins the free iPad can't actually use it to read the digital edition of the Tribune.

I think that calls for a sarcastic slow clap. =D>
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884

I noticed. I kept checking the schedule for something other than kid’s nature shows, and cussing to myself things like, “Why does every kid’s show have to be educational!? Why so many fracking nature shows about animals and parks!?!? Where the $%#^*!!! is all the FUN!?!?!?”

Seriously. One or two of these type of shows are great and they go a long way – but if I was a kid, I wouldn’t be looking for schooling on a non-school day. And I’m sure not looking for it as an adult!

Makes me wish I had cable. Sort of. Well, more DVD watching for me, I suppose…

And, #fredzilla – I heartily agree with your assessment of the PBS kids shows; they’re educational too, but still fun to watch. (Though I miss Ruff Ruffman...)

I would guess that part of why those shows are on a broadcast schedule-- and particularly on very low viewership dumping ground times like weekend mornings-- are that they are using those shows to fulfill their "public interest" obligation, as per the FCC, of having programming in their weekly schedule that can be continued and logged as hours that have the priority of public interest in mind, instead of strictly commercial interest.

You will see a lot of shows like that, for kids and grown-ups, to be found on weekend mornings.
    The man who taught is about the Un-Cola Nut has passed.

• random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    WetRats said:

The man who taught is about the Un-Cola Nut has passed.

Punjab?! Oh my little 9 year old heart just broke. I MAY have gotten the Annie soundtrack for my 9th birthday. I've seen that movie almost as many times as I've seen Star Wars. AND love it just as much.
  • Mr_Cosmic said:

Edge of Tomorrow

Best movie nobody saw in 2014.
    The folks at "What Culture" would seem to agree with you:

http://whatculture.com/film/10-most-criminally-underrated-blockbusters-since-2000.php/10

10 Most Criminally Underrated Blockbusters Since 2000

2. Edge Of Tomorrow (2014)

Well Todd Gurley of my Georgia Bulldogs is out for who knows how long. By the numbers he is the second greatest runningback in the history of UGA. He's put these numbers up in what will add up to 1.5 seasons. He has been a pure joy to watch run.

Sad days in Bulldawg Nation.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    mwhitt80 said:

Well Todd Gurley of my Georgia Bulldogs is out for who knows how long. By the numbers he is the second greatest runningback in the history of UGA. He's put these numbers up in what will add up to 1.5 seasons. He has been a pure joy to watch run.

Sad days in Bulldawg Nation.

If it's true that he was booted for selling autographs, Stupid, stupid, STUPID rule!
    He should have the option of going straight into the NFL.
    edited October 2014
    I just hate it. The kid has put up bigger numbers in 1.5 seasons than anyone not named Hershel Walker. If you look at UGA runningbacks we are not talking about nobodys. UGA produced some greats.

Side note the newest 30 for 30 short is called The Great Trade Robbery (it's about the Hershel trade).

edit: AJC is reporting there is more evidence against Gurley than Johnny Clipboard. Looks like there are going to be a bigger suspension. If we are lucky he will be back in time for Auburn and maybe the Dawgs get some good wins against Mizzo and Ark without him.
    Sweet Jeebus that was a gross leg break.

Yesterday afternoon ESPN dropped some information about the dealer that reported Gurley. Then the internets took over.

Bryan Allen (no relation to Barry) is a uf grad that got upset at Gurley for devaluing the merchandise he paid Gurley to sign, then he shopped his story around to news outlets. Allen has hired a Ed Garland (the ATL lawyer to use if you have money and need help); I'm not sure how he is paying for Ed bt whatever.

Now what makes this so stupid is that this guy lives and owns a store in GA. It's ridiculous to risk your livelyhood and safety for revenge. The world is filled with nuts that only breathe thier team colors; they are everywhere, in every sport. I hope Allen is safe, but he has lost his business (and hopefully access to signatures both from colleges and the pros).

I'm not blaming this guy for what happened. Todd Gurley goes to a school that spends lots of time and money educating players on the NCAA rules; UGA is one of the hardest schools to get this stuff from. But Bryan Allen was stupid for "ratting out" Gurley. Did he really believe his name wouldn't get out? And Gurley is just as dumb, did he think more than 300 autographed items on ebay wouldn't raise some flags?
    mwhitt80 said:

Yesterday afternoon ESPN dropped some information about the dealer that reported Gurley. Then the internets took over.

Bryan Allen (no relation to Barry) is a uf grad that got upset at Gurley for devaluing the merchandise he paid Gurley to sign, then he shopped his story around to news outlets. Allen has hired a Ed Garland (the ATL lawyer to use if you have money and need help); I'm not sure how he is paying for Ed bt whatever.

Now what makes this so stupid is that this guy lives and owns a store in GA. It's ridiculous to risk your livelyhood and safety for revenge. The world is filled with nuts that only breathe thier team colors; they are everywhere, in every sport. I hope Allen is safe, but he has lost his business (and hopefully access to signatures both from colleges and the pros).

I'm not blaming this guy for what happened. Todd Gurley goes to a school that spends lots of time and money educating players on the NCAA rules; UGA is one of the hardest schools to get this stuff from. But Bryan Allen was stupid for "ratting out" Gurley. Did he really believe his name wouldn't get out? And Gurley is just as dumb, did he think more than 300 autographed items on ebay wouldn't raise some flags?

I don't follow sports, so in the mainstream I tend to only hear the stories of crimes and bad behavior related to sports (which, of course, are the outliers rather than the norm). But strange stories like this remind me of my favorite line from Boardwalk Empire, said by their version of Arnold Rothstein (and on a Google I guess is a paraphrase of something the 17th century philosopher Blaise Pascal said):
    "All of man's troubles come from his inability to sit quietly in a room by himself."
    David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

I don't follow sports, so in the mainstream I tend to only hear the stories of crimes and bad behavior related to sports (which, of course, are the outliers rather than the norm). But strange stories like this remind me of my favorite line from Boardwalk Empire, said by their version of Arnold Rothstein (and on a Google I guess is a paraphrase of something the 17th century philosopher Blaise Pascal said):
    "All of man's troubles come from his inability to sit quietly in a room by himself."

A good defense attorney I've known my whole life says that 75% of his clients would walk away scott free if they kept their mouth shut.
    David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

A good defense attorney I've known my whole life says that 75% of his clients would walk away scott free if they kept their mouth shut.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    In the Bud Light commercial where the Tampa Bay football fan gets his house/yard remade, when the guy first walks into his house, he is carrying at least one (it looks like two) of the Walking Dead Compendiums.
    Went to see A Walk Among The Tombstones Last night. It was good stuff. It unfolded like a novel and had this slow, tense, 70's crime drama vibe to it. There were a couple moments of predictability but on the whole excellent.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    random73 said:

Went to see A Walk Among The Tombstones Last night. It was good stuff. It unfolded like a novel and had this slow, tense, 70's crime drama vibe to it. There were a couple moments of predictability but on the whole excellent.

Good to hear, I've been looking forward to seeing it.
    Greg said:

random73 said:

Good to hear, I've been looking forward to seeing it.
    I think Liam Neeson suffered a bit this year by being in competition with himself a bit. It seemed like there were 3 or 4 Neeson movies out back to back. This one was not action packed like the Taken movies but was more of a suspense thriller.
    Liam Neeson also had to deal with Denzel . I know this wasn't a "Taken", but all of his movies are now advertised like Taken + sequel/wolves/plane/graveyard.

Denzel has a similiar problem with his "Man on" + Fire/Train/Mark Walberg/Time/1980's revenge. I think Denzel is a little more fun on screen, and he's had a few more non-"Man on ..." films over the past 10 years than Liam has had non-"Taken" films.
    Spotify can be magical sometimes. Especially on a night when you're working late and just need a musical rabbit hole to go down. Not to mention all the living room dance parties my oldest daughter has had, from Sesame Street music when she was little, to now using it to try to let her try the music we like. 10 bucks a month well spent.
  • Does anyone know what the plans are for airing "The Avengers" movie on TV (aside from PPV)?
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2014
    Anyone else lament the demise of tv theme songs..especially in cartoons and sitcoms?

There still are a few but they're either not very good or they're extremely short.
  • playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited October 2014

Does anyone know what the plans are for airing "The Avengers" movie on TV (aside from PPV)?

It's on Epix, which is Paramount's premium movie channel (Avengers was technically the last distributed by Paramount, but really that was in name only)... Not carried by every provider. And of course Netflix and Amazon Prime as part of their partnerships with Epix.

Non-premium, it will eventually premiere on FX in a deal that extends to Thor 2, after which the next 5 Marvel movies will premiere on TNT.

I couldn't give you dates though
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Anyone else lament the demise of tv theme songs..especially in cartoons and sitcoms?

There still are a few but they're either not very good or they're extremely short.

Best thing about Big Bang Theory.