Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    A big FU to Bleeding Cool this morning for spoiling the cameo in Ant Man with a thumbnail pic.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    WetRats said:

A big FU to Bleeding Cool this morning for spoiling the cameo in Ant Man with a thumbnail pic.

Ditto that on CBR
  • Options
    luke52 said:

WetRats said:

Ditto that on CBR
    A pox on both their houses!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Nintendo's President, Satoru Iwata, has died. He was 55.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/13/nintendo-ceo-satoru-iwata-has-passed-away

That's terrible news
  • Options

Nintendo's President, Satoru Iwata, has died. He was 55.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/13/nintendo-ceo-satoru-iwata-has-passed-away

That's terrible news
    I was also saddened to hear about this. I'm a huge Nintendo fan, and he was in many ways the Stan Lee of the company. In a good way.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Is it though? It's part of a TV spot that, presumably, Marvel wants people to be aware of. Like, it's sort of a spoiler, but one that's going to run on TV every commercial break between now and the movie. So really, shouldn't be an FU to Marvel's marketing department?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

WetRats said:

Is it though? It's part of a TV spot that, presumably, Marvel wants people to be aware of. Like, it's sort of a spoiler, but one that's going to run on TV every commercial break between now and the movie. So really, shouldn't be an FU to Marvel's marketing department?
    Yeah, I missed being spoiled online but saw it on TV as I was flipping channels. Big FU to everyone involved I guess...

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,616
    Just watched Big Hero 6. Awesome!!!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Yeah, I missed being spoiled online but saw it on TV as I was flipping channels. Big FU to everyone involved I guess...

Thanks everyone for not spoiling. I've somehow missed that after posting several of these trailers.

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Thanks everyone for not spoiling. I've somehow missed that after posting several of these trailers.

You're welcome for not spoiling Thanos' appearance in the new Ant-Man film!

Just kidding! It's not him. Or is it?!?!
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    BTW... What happened to my smiley face choices in the comment box?

*sad face smiley*
  • Options

WetRats said:

I have been avoiding trailers.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I try to avoid them when I can...of late I've been doing a poor job of it, but I don't feel too horrible about it as they're getting smarter about what they reveal and don't reveal. I have a better feel for Batman vs. Superman now and will definitely be seeing it. Suicide Squad as well. I liked what I saw out of both of these trailers...and while I was pretty much all in anyhow on the former, the latter movie I was still on the fence about seeing in a theater.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Torchsong said:

I try to avoid them when I can...of late I've been doing a poor job of it, but I don't feel too horrible about it as they're getting smarter about what they reveal and don't reveal. I have a better feel for Batman vs. Superman now and will definitely be seeing it. Suicide Squad as well. I liked what I saw out of both of these trailers...and while I was pretty much all in anyhow on the former, the latter movie I was still on the fence about seeing in a theater.

I like being able to see trailers for films upon which I am not yet sold.

When I know I'm going to see something, I'm trying to impose a blackout.

This is, despite my divorce from broadcast & cable TV, still damned difficult as long as I participate* in the Internet.**

*BTW: I just realized that "participate" is a much more appropriate verb than "use" when referring to the Internet. I suppose "interact" would work nearly as well (and has a nice element of wordplay), but I think "participate" is subtly more accurate to the experience.

**I also seem to have a heretofore-unconscious standard for when to make Internet a proper noun and when not to.***

***Jesus, I'm a dork.
  • Options
    I guess tonite is mlbs allstar game.
    In other news the braves are hanging aroung 500 ball for the season. They will miss the playoffs but they won't be an embarassment.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    My Wife and I took a quick vacation through the Black Hills.
    I know this is just me, but I found it ironic that the monument that transforms the environment the most is for a Native American.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited July 2015
    mwhitt80 said:

I guess tonite is mlbs allstar game.
    In other news the braves are hanging aroung 500 ball for the season. They will miss the playoffs but they won't be an embarassment.

It could be worse. You could be a Rockies fan. The Rockies might have the best infield in MLB, and will lose around 95 games. Again.
  • Options
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    fredzilla said:

WetRats said:

fredzilla said:

Same goes with Shooter's writing. I'd probably gloss over it as just being the era if it only happened once an issue, but it felt like the women in the story are merely there to service the whims of the men. I haven't read a lot of The Wasp, but just her dialogue alone (something along the lines of, "Oh, I broke a nail! And I don't have an Emory board here. What am I to do?") is noteworthy. At best the writing is juvenile, and at worst, mysoginistic. As a result, it's making it harder to get through than I originally thought.

I think misogynistic is too strong a word.

It implies a malice that I don't think was present.

I think it is more a case that guys like Shooter and his contemporaries really just didn't know women as complete people.

Nor did they expect their readers to.

Misogyny implies hatred, while what we had here was mostly ignorance.
    I guess that's what I'm trying to say. Their audience wasn't likely 30-40 year old men, but young preteen boys to early 20's men. I get that that was likely who they were writing to.

I do also believe the definition of misogyny has broadened.
    Broadened sounds li
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

This is, despite my divorce from broadcast & cable TV, still damned difficult as long as I participate* in the Internet.**

*BTW: I just realized that "participate" is a much more appropriate verb than "use" when referring to the Internet. I suppose "interact" would work nearly as well (and has a nice element of wordplay), but I think "participate" is subtly more accurate to the experience.

**I also seem to have a heretofore-unconscious standard for when to make Internet a proper noun and when not to.***

***Jesus, I'm a dork.
    But you're a funny and somewhat insightful dork. Keep it up.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    popestu said:

fredzilla said:

WetRats said:

fredzilla said:

Same goes with Shooter's writing. I'd probably gloss over it as just being the era if it only happened once an issue, but it felt like the women in the story are merely there to service the whims of the men. I haven't read a lot of The Wasp, but just her dialogue alone (something along the lines of, "Oh, I broke a nail! And I don't have an Emory board here. What am I to do?") is noteworthy. At best the writing is juvenile, and at worst, mysoginistic. As a result, it's making it harder to get through than I originally thought.

I think misogynistic is too strong a word.

It implies a malice that I don't think was present.

I think it is more a case that guys like Shooter and his contemporaries really just didn't know women as complete people.

Nor did they expect their readers to.

Misogyny implies hatred, while what we had here was mostly ignorance.
    I guess that's what I'm trying to say. Their audience wasn't likely 30-40 year old men, but young preteen boys to early 20's men. I get that that was likely who they were writing to.

I do also believe the definition of misogyny has broadened.
    Broadened sounds li
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

***Jesus, I'm a dork.
    But you're a funny and somewhat insightful dork. Keep it up.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    DAR said:
    So true! We all watched as much as we could. We were pulling for the ol' Planet!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I know I've spent too much time with "you nerds" when I get an email from a christain book distributer having a Flash S-A-L-E and I ask myself when did they start carrying comics.

Next random thought
    why doesn't baseball use spring training games to decide something important in the post season. Like the best 2 spring teams (top al, top nl) gets a wild card spot in the playoffs, but we add one another round of the playoffs so the winner of the current wild card game plays the spring ball spot in a best of 3 series.

World Series homefield advantage decided at the allstar game might be the stupidiest ideas Bud has come up wwith.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    mwhitt80 said:

I know I've spent too much time with "you nerds" when I get an email from a christain book distributer having a Flash S-A-L-E and I ask myself when did they start carrying comics.

Next random thought
    why doesn't baseball use spring training games to decide something important in the post season. Like the best 2 spring teams (top al, top nl) gets a wild card spot in the playoffs, but we add one another round of the playoffs so the winner of the current wild card game plays the spring ball spot in a best of 3 series.

World Series homefield advantage decided at the allstar game might be the stupidiest ideas Bud has come up wwith.

The season is already long and takes a toll on the players' bodies. Adding something that important to the spring training - a time when players are not playing everyday, recovering from any nagging health issues, focusing on improving their swing etc - forces everyone to treat the preseason like the regular season.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I'm not serious about the spring games. I was just wondering why mlb hasn't tried to make its other exhibition "mean something". Its a stupid idea, but no stupidier than the allstar game determing homefield. Rotate like in the old days or use best record (my personal choice).

Also I'm back to hating the play in game for the wildcard spot. For all the resistance Bud has had to changes that would make baseball games more enjoyable to watch; he sure has screwed around with some bad changes to the post season.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Eight more Sundays and we get football back... :)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

I'm not serious about the spring games. I was just wondering why mlb hasn't tried to make its other exhibition "mean something".

Owners wouldn't stand for that, and the Players Association would revolt, because unlike the All-Star Game, spring training actually is important, not only for players to get into game shape, but for most teams it's also how they determine who's going to fill those last few slots in the rotation or on the bench, or sometimes even in the starting lineup. The set-in-stone starters usually only get a couple of at-bats per game to work on their timing at the plate until the last week or two of camp. If preseason games “mattered,” teams might feel they have to play their starters more, which would lead to a lot of unnecessary preseason injuries.

Personally, I like the play-in game. For a fan of an AL East team, it's tough to get a playoff spot when you have to go up against the Yankees’ and the Red Sox’s salaries every year, so that extra shot gives you a little more hope.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Eight more Sundays and we get football back... :)

They still play that?