Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• Options
    Old Man Logan #3, which I liked, but not as much as the other two. The dialogue irked me a tiny bit, not even because it was "Bendis-speak" but because it just wasn't up to snuff.

The new Sinestro, which I thought was pretty good.

Also been reading some of Kyle Baker's Plastic Man, which is fun.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    just read this... wow... it was amazing

• Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    just bought this on comixology for 2.99!! reg price 12.99...

if you like BONE or LEAVE IT TO CHANCE or NAUSICAA or LOCKE & KEY... i would highly recommend this!!

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=7458&lang=

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2015
    I loved Amulet! However, I thought it was going to be a trilogy, then it was a quadrilogy, now there's six volumes. Great OGN for kids too. Good find!
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited July 2015
    Just the Hellboy House of the Dead HC. It was slightly better than I expected. 2.7 out of 5 stars.

Matthew
  • Options
    Since Fables has just wrapped up, I'm concentrating on getting the last few trades in order to complete my set. I just finished vol 19, Snow White, and I'm expecting vol 20 in the mail anytime now.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Has anyone read Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars? How was it?
  • Options
    Airboy #3. My God. An amazing, amazing book. This will end up being considered a masterpiece for Robinson.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    The March Book One & Two

It's a little hard to read these two volumes of The March and not be affected. They are incredible stories. They are some of the best comics I've ever read.
    If you have not read them pick both books from comixology or a library and read them back to back.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

The March Book One & Two

It's a little hard to read these two volumes of The March and not be affected. They are incredible stories. They are some of the best comics I've ever read.
    If you have not read them pick both books from comixology or a library and read them back to back.

I haven't gotten around to volume two yet, but I'm sure it's as good as volume one.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I finally finished off the last eight issues of Unwritten last night, and I'm still trying to work out my thoughts on the series. It had its ups and downs, and it never completely lived up to the potential I saw in it, but it was a good series overall, with moments of excellence. The issues where they played with different storytelling styles were my favorites, and I wish there had been more of that.

I know there were some others here on the forum who were reading it. Anyone else make it to the end? Thoughts, opinions?
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

The March Book One & Two

I haven't gotten around to volume two yet, but I'm sure it's as good as volume one.
    I liked volume 2 better, but it was hard to read at some points. It deals with the freedom rides and the marches on Birmingham.
  • Options
    I've only read the first trade, which I thought was intriguing. I keep meaning to pick up the rest of the series; maybe I should look to doing that now.
  • Options
    Dragon Puncher meets Johnny Boo (the best little ghost) - I love Dragon Puncher books.
  • Options
    Plutona #1 from Image was great. Not what I was expecting at all, especially given the artwork, which reminds me more of a children's book than a comic book. It's serious and gritty and definitely has a "Stand by Me" vibe to the whole thing.

• Options

Plutona #1 from Image was great. Not what I was expecting at all, especially given the artwork, which reminds me more of a children's book than a comic book. It's serious and gritty and definitely has a "Stand by Me" vibe to the whole thing.

I made the very difficult decision to wait for the trade on this one when I first saw it solicited because I just couldn't afford to add any more new titles on to my already over-budget monthly allowance I grant myself.

I'm already really enjoying Lemire's Descender and am very much looking forward to reading the first volume of Plutona when it comes out.

• Options
    I hear ya. It's kinda funny though that Secret Wars has helped me stretch my comic buying dollar a bit as a lot of my usual Marvel ones are on hiatus because of it. Plutona was one of the beneficiaries.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Only one book out of my box so far - Lazarus. It continues to deserve its spot at the top of the pile.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    The Island #1

I can't tell if I really like this book, or if I like the concept behind it. It looks incredible and reminds me of an European comic.
    I enjoyed 2 of the 3 stories (I thought the Kelly Sue DeConnick article was ehhh).

I can't recommend you rushing out and buying it (unless you are Brandon Graham/King City/Multiple Warheads fan), but if you get a chance give it a look through. It is a very interesting book; issues 1 & 2 are out now.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

The Island #1

I can't tell if I really like this book, or if I like the concept behind it. It looks incredible and reminds me of an European comic.
    I enjoyed 2 of the 3 stories (I thought the Kelly Sue DeConnick article was ehhh).

I can't recommend you rushing out and buying it (unless you are Brandon Graham/King City/Multiple Warheads fan), but if you get a chance give it a look through. It is a very interesting book; issues 1 & 2 are out now.

Again, I've got them both, but haven't had time to read them yet. I think #3 comes out today.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    The art is great; the stories are a little hard to follow. I think it could have been stronger.

I wish Brandon Graham had written a new story, rather than continuing Multiple Warheads (which I've never read), for issue one. I'm all for him putting MW stories in the book (I thought his MW story was good even without having read any previous MW comics), but I think it should have waited an issue.

Agree []
    ..........\/
  • Options
    From what I understand, he'll be doing more MW stories in Island, and then collecting them in a book down the road. Which, to be honest, makes me less inclined to continue getting the magazine.
  • Options
    Daredevil 18 & Spidey Renew Your Vows 5 were both great finales of both series. They capped off strong dedication to the craft and delievered a well told story to perfection. Both series earn a very, VERY strong 5 stars out 5 rating & in the discussion of best comics of the year. Captain America White miniseries while it too was strong & dedicated it was late ass as hell. A baby takes 9 months & a comic comes out every 30 days not 1 every FREAKING 7 years. There is no laundry list of "the dog ate my homework" excuses that make it worth being this late. Both creators deserve a swift kick in the ass. This issue of the miniseries earns a 4 stars out 5 and a strong chewing out by a drill sergeant. If you have to buy this miniseries wait for the collection in case the dog eats their homework again.

Matthew
  • Options
    I finished volume 2 of Astro City; man what a great comic. In Astro City when you look to the skies you see hope, not hypocrisy.
    It is refreshing to read a non DC/Marvel superhero book that isn't full cynism and mockery of superheroes
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I finished this last week.
    Dark Knight Strikes Again or DK2

First off I thought the series was great. it's not a masterwork of comics, but not every comic can be DK or Year One. The art is really cool, and the story is very well done.
    This is the first time I've read DK2, and I feel like it was 10 years before its time. The way Miller uses the media and celebrity in the news is bang on. It reminded of how Michael Jackson's death washed away all of the coverage of the civil uprising that was happening in Iran. The way Miller surrounded the story with literal talking heads and hot takes is the 2010 version of his use of talkshows in DK1.

He used the Justice League in a very cool way. Plastic Man is amazing, Arkham is scary, and the introduction to the Atom is grade A comics.

Now onto the Superman in the room. Miller writes him as a big blue milktoast; he treats Supes with disdain. As readers of any Superman/Justice League stories know the real Supes would not act that way. My take is these are elseworld stories changes happen on Earth Miller; his Superman (and every hero not named Batman) is willing to roll over to Luther.

Final take away, DK2 was a decade before its time. If you haven't already read it or you haven't read it in a while give it a shot. You can pick up a used trade on Amazon cheaply, or get the issues on comixology (like I did). I think the comixology option might be a better reading experience for this book.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Paper Girls #1

BKV has another hit on his hands here. A Spielberg-esque coming of age story, mixed in with the edge of Stand By Me and a bit of Super 8. Get on this if you haven't already. This has the potential to be bigger and better then Saga.

I look forward to hearing @wildpigcomics rap episodic about this on an upcoming episode... At least I hope he will.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited October 2015
    luke52 said:

Paper Girls #1

BKV has another hit on his hands here. A Spielberg-esque coming of age story, mixed in with the edge of Stand By Me and a bit of Super 8. Get on this if you haven't already. This has the potential to be bigger and better then Saga.

I look forward to hearing @wildpigcomics rap episodic about this on an upcoming episode... At least I hope he will.

Absolutely agree. An excellent 1st issue. That and Plutona #2, also out this week, seem to be cut from the same cloth. Recommend both quite highly.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I let Lazarus pile up for about a year or more. I kept buying it because it started strong and I trusted it would stay that way. And then I've been able to enjoy a whole pile of them today.

I would put this next to Queen and Country as Rucka's finest work, and I loved Lark on other things, too, but he's killing it on this. I will be sad to be caught up, and have to start waiting between issues again.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    David_D said:

I let Lazarus pile up for about a year or more. I kept buying it because it started strong and I trusted it would stay that way. And then I've been able to enjoy a whole pile of them today.

I would put this next to Queen and Country as Rucka's finest work, and I loved Lark on other things, too, but he's killing it on this. I will be sad to be caught up, and have to start waiting between issues again.

Glad to see someone else loving it. It's absolute top of the pole for me.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    hauberk said:

David_D said:

Glad to see someone else loving it. It's absolute top of the pole for me.
    I can see why!