Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Just wrapped up a marathon session with the Lazarus sourcebook. It's a meaty read. Not sure that it really qualifies as a comic, but it was the only Lazarus I got this month, so I'll take what I can get.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    No books to mention here due to the fact I recently had to change my comic book provider. I used to get my books weekly. With my new provider I only get them monthly. Really missing my weekly comic fix.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Future Quest is as awesome as I'd hoped. It feels like a classic Jonny Quest episode, but with more going on. And, of course, the art is fantastic. Yeah, they raised the price to $3.99, but there's 30 pages of story instead of 20, and 8 of those pages are drawn by Steve freaking Rude. Worth every penny.

I won't go into detail as to avoid spoilers, but they give a new origin story for Space Ghost (part of it anyway) that ties into the central plot of the book. It's kind of Lone Ranger-y, but it works for me.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Future Quest is as awesome as I'd hoped. It feels like a classic Jonny Quest episode, but with more going on. And, of course, the art is fantastic. Yeah, they raised the price to $3.99, but there's 30 pages of story instead of 20, and 8 of those pages are drawn by Steve freaking Rude. Worth every penny.

I won't go into detail as to avoid spoilers, but they give a new origin story for Space Ghost (part of it anyway) that ties into the central plot of the book. It's kind of Lone Ranger-y, but it works for me.

Thanks Eric. Trade-waiting on this. I don't expect it's an ongoing. Do you know if it's limited or not?
  • Options

Thanks Eric. Trade-waiting on this. I don't expect it's an ongoing. Do you know if it's limited or not?
    As far as I know it’s an ongoing. My guess is that this first story is planned out for a year—they’ll need that much space to be able to work all the characters in—and after that it will depend on sales as to whether or not they'll keep it going. But that’s just a guess.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

As far as I know it’s an ongoing. My guess is that this first story is planned out for a year—they’ll need that much space to be able to work all the characters in—and after that it will depend on sales as to whether or not they'll keep it going. But that’s just a guess.
    Good to know. I heard a few people are upset DC raised the cover price on this book with issue 2. I realize more pages were added, but people on a budget didn't expect that and didn't ask for it. Seems like they were baited with that lower cover price. Hope that isn't the trend at DC with all these $2.99 first issues...

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

That's great to know. Its in my dcbs box waiting to be shipped.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Can I just say how beautiful the colors by Matt Milla were in Daredevil #6? The interior art by Matteo Buffagni was on point too. I feel like it's a good compromise between what's come before in the comics and the new Netflix series. Wasn't hip on the first arc, but this was a good issue.

Don't get me started on Sienkiewicz's amazing cover.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I got the recently released Superior Foes of Spider-Man omnibus for a GREAT price I couldn't refuse and have been enjoying it. I have it in floppies, but never got around to it. Maybe I should sell those floppies sometime...?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    The Fix at Image, from Spencer and Lieber, continues to be excellent, fast-paced, naughty fun
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    DC Universe: Rebirth - it was pretty good. Worth it if you're looking for something to read.
  • Options
    Just read Mae #1. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I've always like Ha’s artwork, but this digital stuff he’s doing now feels a bit too stiff. The story definitely has potential, but we didn’t get to see too much of it in this first issue. So I'm still on the fence about it. I'd like to give it a few more issues, but I'm already getting so many books. I'll try the next issue at least, and see how it goes.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    So far, only Rebirth and the final issue of Grayson. I quite enjoyed both, Grayson ended on a nice up note. Really the only thing that weighed that title down was the way it referenced back to the Morrison Batman books (I assume). I didn't read any of that so some of the Spiral / Daedalus / Netz stuff was coming in over my head.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Saga #36 was awesome.

4001ad made a good start too, for Valiants big summer event.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Vision #7 (the Scarlet Witch issue) was so damn good it made me quit reading comics to sit and think about what I'd read for a good, long time.

• Options
    I read Scooby Apocalypse #1 despite my better judgment, and it was actually pretty decent. It’s not really what I think of as Scooby-Doo, but it’s not Afterlife with Archie (which I like) either—it lies somewhere in between, closer to the Scooby-Doo side. I doubt I'll continue with it in the long run, but I might pick up the next issue to see where they go with it.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I was a big doubter of the new Howard the Duck series, seeing as how the character was such a Gerber creation, and anyone else who had tried to write him had failed.

I was wrong.

And Howard the Duck #8 was not something Gerber would have done, and it was amazing anyway, grabbing bits and pieces of his work and blending it into something new and touching.

I was wrong. And I'm glad.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    I read Heathen #1-4, by writer/artist Natasha Alterici, which was really good! Her artwork is beautiful, simple but with lots of passion and energy. And the story's really unique - a young lesbian Viking on a hero's quest. I took advantage of a Comixology sale (which I think is still going on) and am so glad I did. Thumbs up :)
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Got a cool book I'd kickstarted last night and I've been finding every possible excuse to sneak away and read more of it. Steve Lichman (by Dan Rapoza and Dan Warren) is one of the funniest things I've read this year. If you grew up playing Dungeons & Dragons this is your book. If you loved the recent film "What We Do in the Shadows" this is your book. Want to read it online with rougher lettering? Go below...

https://rapozacomics.carbonmade.com/projects/5313679

Seriously, you find this thing out at a convention or in a store? You pick it up. You won't be sorry...this book's staying with me until I die.
  • Options
    @Torchsong Just read the pages from that link, and you are right - hilarious! Great stuff
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Just finished the final volume of A Silent Voice (Kodansha) - a manga dealing with bullying and the after-effects of it. Like most manga of this type, the series winds towards a "happy ending for everyone" type of resolution, but it stops just shy of letting it become overly sappy. It's about growing up and maybe realizing how you're viewed outside how you view yourself as much as anything, and that's a path most of us take several times through the course of a lifetime. Well worth the read, and re-read, as it'll probably stay on my bookshelf for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Scarlet Witch #8. Great twist in this one. The book has been consistently excellent thus far, but I worry not enough of you are reading it though.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    It's the only thing I'm reading but man is Future Quest fun.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @TheOriginalGMan I tried the first issue of Scarlet Witch, then tapped out. I loved the Vanesa Del Rey artwork but the story didn't thrill me (and was too similar to Jason Aaron's Dr. Strange #1). Though tbh, except for Zatanna, I've never been the biggest fan of magic-using superheroes? Maybe I'll give Wanda another try.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Finally read the Morrison/Paquette graphic novel *WONDER WOMAN: EARTH ONE.* The art is beautiful. The story... is more interesting than its reviews had girded me for, though still not what I’d hoped it to be. After listening to Grant Morrison’s enthusiastic pitches for WW:EO during multiple convention panels, it really sounded like he’d dug deep into William Moulton Marston’s original Wonder Woman comics, and was going to re-present that in ways no other modern creator had. While I could see some glimpses of that? I’d’ve wanted it to be even more blatant, frankly. This was still an enjoyable read, worth checking out if you can catch a sale or find it at the library. Though I admit -- a big story reveal in its last few pages especially rubbed me the wrong way. To elaborate on this, I will warn you with all-caps and several asterisks:

** SPOILER **
    Yet again, Wonder Woman’s origin is messed with. First we got Azzarello’s New52 title which ditched the “Hippolyta-sculpts-daughter-from-clay-and-gods-give-her-life” backstory -- and now, Morrison’s story does so, as well. (Azzarello makes Diana the child of Hippolyta and Zeus, while Morrison goes with Hippolyta and Hercules.) This just makes me wonder: what is it about Diana’s classic origin that modern creators and/or DC Comics suddenly can’t stand?? This really bugs me. I happen to love her classic origin. I think it’s unique, and fits Diana’s character perfectly. She’s supposed to be a figure from antiquity; what better way to personify that, than to make her a living statue? Most of what we know about ancient Greece is through its art -- it made sense that Diana was like a Grecian urn come to life. And as one of DC Comics’ three biggest superheroes, Wonder Woman’s origin should be hallowed, at least as much as Batman’s or Superman’s. If Morrison truly wanted to pay homage to Marston’s champion, then he should have respected the origin her creator created.

** MORE SPOILER **
    WW:EO also tells us that Hippolyta not only carried and gave birth to Diana, but that she did so to raise her daughter to use as a “weapon against Man’s world” -- in effect, as Hippolyta’s revenge against Diana’s biological father, the man/god/brute Hercules, enemy of the Amazons. When I read that, I scratched my head. Where have I seen this before? Then I realized: it’s what we just got in Geoff Johns’ *Justice League* story, “The Darkseid War,” which featured Amazon assassin Myrina getting pregnant by Darkseid to use the child (the villainess Grail) as a weapon against Darkseid, enemy of the Amazons. It made me wonder, again: did anyone at DC point this out?

I’m ending this post on a high note by repeating how awesome the art of WW:EO is. Yanick Paquette’s designs for Wonder Woman, the Amazons, and Paradise Island are truly inspired, and his pencils are a feast for the eyes. And Nathan Fairbairn’s colors are damn gorgeous. AND when Morrison writes the beat where Diana realizes Steve Trevor is a man... I honestly laughed out loud :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    FINALLY got around to reading the first trade of Jason Aaron's Scalped from Vertigo. Loved it. I may be hooked.

Anyone else read this series and would you recommend going further? I think there are 10 volumes.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

FINALLY got around to reading the first trade of Jason Aaron's Scalped from Vertigo. Loved it. I may be hooked.

Anyone else read this series and would you recommend going further? I think there are 10 volumes.

Absolutely. It is excellent, and I think the first trade is representative of what the rest of the series is like.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Scalped is one of my all time favorites. I'm a 100% with David on this one.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited July 2016
    How many books is Jason Aaron currently writing? I think 6 with a 7th on the way. Not sure if I am missing any...

3 for Marvel (with one more announced), 2 for Image, 1 for Vertigo.

That is impressive productivity. (Especially with the overall high quality of his work)
  • Options
    I'm picking up the rest then on these endorsements. Thanks guys!