Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• popestupopestu Posts: 782
    Lone Wolf and Cub 11 (First Publications)

• luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Bloodshot Reborn continues to have me gripped. And Bloodsquirt... How can you not love him!!
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Rebels is just awesome.
    I'm really enjoying Thor.
  • Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    I didn't get a chance to read any new material this week. However, I did get a chance to tackle some of my recent FCBD purchases from Wild Pig. Here's what I enjoyed the most:

Death By Chocolate: Redux TPB
    This is a really fun trade for anybody looking for something outside of the norm. It's got everything. FBI agents made of chocolate. Aliens. Talking other-dimensional dogs. Time travel. And...The Metabolators. Who are the creepiest villains I've ever seen in comics. Seriously. I'm not even kidding.

Happy TPB
    Happy is a surprisingly heart-warming story about a detective-turned-hitman who teams up with an imaginary friend to save a little girl from a pedophilic Santa. Sound weird? It's written by Grant Morrison. Yeah. Now it sounds pretty tame, huh?

Dazzler (1981) #5
    This issue is great for three reasons.
    1.) It's the first appearance of The Blue Shield.
    2.) Dazzler uses a radio that's playing "Whip It" by Devo to activate her light powers on a group of gangsters.
    3.) A character in the comic uses the word "pulchritudinous".
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Dazzler (1981) #5
    This issue is great for three reasons.
    1.) It's the first appearance of The Blue Shield.
    2.) Dazzler uses a radio that's playing "Whip It" by Devo to activate her light powers on a group of gangsters.
    3.) A character in the comic uses the word "pulchritudinous".

And so began my decades long fascination with the Dazzler... circa 1981

• Master of Kung Fu #1 was fantastic.
    Just finished Secret Warriors Omnibus. It was very good. It started out great. Dark Reign killed some of the momentum. The ending wasn't as focussed as the beginning.
    popestu said:

Just finished Secret Warriors Omnibus. It was very good. It started out great. Dark Reign killed some of the momentum. The ending wasn't as focussed as the beginning.

If Hickman did not have to deal with the Marvel Universe as a whole, this may have been one of his best pieces. He could have played more with his The SHIELD stories from 2010 and 2011.

Secret Invasion, Dark Reign - the List, and Siege all crossed paths with Secret Warriors. And Hickman makes it work. But his focus is dulled because of it.

I did love Fury's list when Osborne shares (Save the world; Punch Norman in the face;
    Have a beer).

The end was a let down because the big reveal lessened Hydra's controlling everything (even though I realized the reveal 2/3 of the way through...I'm not brilliant ...this is Nick Fury we're talking about). The other big reveal (regarding the identity of the big bad) dawned on me during the Zodiac flashbacks. I loved the Leonardo da Vinci cameo!

The end seemed rushed (Hickman is said to have plotted out 60 issues worth of story) and White Team (and other characters) were removed quickly from the story.

Even though I was let down at certain parts, I still highly recommend the story.
  • I just finished the first 8 issues of hickmans avengers,and issue #46 of tmnt..
  • BondoBondo Posts: 57

I just finished the first 8 issues of hickmans avengers,and issue #46 of tmnt..

I'm excited to get into Hickman's Avengers. I read New Avengers 33 and Avengers 44 just before jumping into Secret wars and liked what I read.

I can't stop thinking about Jason Aaron's Thor run either. I'm hoping after Secret Wars is done he'll stick around for an ongoing. I have never, ever, ever, had a desire to read any Thor book. But after hearing good things about his run I picked up issues 6, 7, and the final, 8.

Suffice is to say I'll be picking up the rest. His misdirection on the "Who is Thor?" question was not exactly genius but I'm glad it was misdirection because I had no interest in the character he was trying to make you believe was the new Thor (and she wasn't). In the end it was an easy guess even jumping in mid-series, but I was happy with it regardless.

Side note: the art I'm seeing in the Secret Wars Tie-in books is really surprising me. I'm not a fan of the realistic looking covers on the main storyline, but all the interiors are really up-my-alley thus far.

Master of Kung-Fu
  • compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    edited June 2015
    I don't care how many times people say it, if it's written by Brubaker, you must read it. The Fade Out has been fantastic. I could dig a new cable channel that only did quality adaptations of Brubaker's independent works - maybe throw in Brian K Vaughan stuff too . . . :)
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    How have I missed reading Sixth Gun? That first volume was a really good weird western.
    compsolut said:

I don't care how many times people say it, if it's written by Brubaker, you must read it. The Fade Out has been fantastic. I could dig a new cable channel that only did quality adaptations of Brubaker's independent works - maybe throw in Brian K Vaughan stuff too . . . :)

You had me at Brian K.
  • popestu said:

compsolut said:

You had me at Brian K.
    As long as BKV isn't actually running a show... (Oh Under the Dome, how many ways you found to disappoint)
  • RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Airboy #1 from last week. I have to read it again to really grasp it all. And I imagine it will read better in a trade. But it is certainly interesting. I'm also looking forward to the new Green Lantern status quo.
    Justice League Classified 1-15

Morrison's arc (1-3) was fun. Nothing too heavy and it tied into Multiversity (which I did not realize...pleasant surprise). The
    Ed McGuinness helped to keep it light.

Super Buddies (4-9, Keith Giffen, J. M. DeMatteis, Kevin Maguire) was as good as I remeber. Although I love Blue and Gold...Fire, Ice, and Guy stole my heart this time around.

New Maps of Hell (10-15, Warren Ellis and Butch Guice) was OK. The pacing and art were off for me. I'm not sure it it was Ellis or Guice or poor communication or experimentation or what.
  • Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    Just read A Silent Voice Volume 1. It's a manga about a boy who bullies a deaf girl at his school until her mother transfers her to a different school. The bully is then himself bullied by his classmates and he slowly realizes that what he did was wrong. Years later, he seeks the girl out to apologize to her.

This story so far has had some really powerful and touching moments in it. There are also some unexpected twists and turns along the way and some subtle moments of repetition in a few scenes that work nicely to get a point across without feeling forced.

It looks like the series is up to Volume Three in America, which has just been solicited in this month's Previews. I have both Volumes Two and Three preordered already. Highly recommended.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    The final three volumes of Scalped. That is some powerful stuff.

Convergence: Booster Gold and Convergence: Blue Beetle - second issues of each. Really enjoyed both of these.
    hauberk said:

Convergence: Booster Gold and Convergence: Blue Beetle - second issues of each. Really enjoyed both of these.

Sweet! I mainlined Scalped a month or 2 ago. Red Crow's arc is great.
    edited June 2015
    popestu said:

hauberk said:

Sweet! I mainlined Scalped a month or 2 ago. Red Crow's arc is great.

http://comicsalliance.com/jason-aarons-lincoln-red-crow-gets-scalped-by-custom-toymaker/
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited June 2015
    Finally had a chance to read the first 3 issues of The Fox from Dark Circle.
    Very good superhero comics with a dash of humor and a nice legacy twist. Highly recommended.
  • shanebshaneb Posts: 109
    I did a few short reviews about what I was into this week: http://vertigology.com/2015/06/19/comic-book-mini-reviews-southern-bastards-9-stumptown-vol-3-6-silver-surfer-12/

Southern Bastards #9 is probably standing out the most.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    After a long hiatus Secret Six came back last week with issue #3. I wasn't sure after the first two, in fact I'd dropped it off my pull list after I ordered 3. This issue was so great it's getting added back on.

A slice of suburban secret six living. Great stuff. Give it a try!
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I've caught up on a lot of stuff lately.

Justice League of America #1 - A lot of setup, has no relation to Justice League but that's ok, does seem to play into the Batbot storyline some how. I did enjoy it, will continue to buy.

Omega Men #1 - A very "arty" first issue. I can tell this is going to be good but did not enjoy the first issue. I read it twice and still couldn't tell what was going on. But I'll keep with it.

Batman #41 - I haven't been reading before this so have no context for how we got here. Nevertheless I thought this was a good first issue of the arc.

Batman Beyond #1 - Wow, quite good. This is a continuation of Futures End and is an interesting way to bring Beyond into the Earth 0 continuity. I assume they will continue the Beyondverse as a digital series but even if they do not this "feels" right to me. Interested to see where this goes.

Doctor Fate #1 - Perhaps the best thing I read this week. I know people grow tired of the teenager becoming a superhero thing, and this really did feel like the new Ms Marvel to me, but that's not a bad thing because that was (is? i stopped reading) a very good title.

Silver Surfer - I never miss a month of not reading this, is always near the top of my stack and loved it as always. I wasn't a fan of the issue (a couple of months ago) where they did the thing of having some pages upside down though. I hate tricks like that that make reading a comic difficult. I don't want a homework assignment when I read a book.

But that being said... the last issue (don't want to spoil) is quite interesting, we haven't seen this side of SS explored in a long time to my recollection so I wonder where it will go.

Star Trek #35 (IDW) - WOW! I also happened to catch up on Star Wars and while that series has started to bore me I really like what they are doing in Star Trek. Interested in where this series goes. I haven't read the previous issues because the movie cast doesn't interest me all that much but maybe now I should.
    Robinson's Batman: Face the face. I never read it.
    The whole time Harvey was going down the road to 2face i was hoping he wouldn't. I'm still pissed he mutalated himself.
    It was nice to see Tim as Robin. As much as I like Damien, I would have preferred seeing Tim grow into Bruce's son. Instead we got Red Robin. Lame
  • Just read Noelle Stevenson's Runaways #1 tonight. I think it's awesome.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    The Black Hood 1 thru 4-Really enjoying this revamping. The art is great.

Old Man Logan 2-Not a Bendis fan,but so far he is good on this series.

King's Watch 1 thru 5-Loved Defenders of the Earth when I was younger. So gave this revamping of it a shot. I like what they are doing.

Mandrake 1 and 2-Spun off from the King's Watch mini. Neat story.I am not a huge fan of the art.

Phantom 1 and 2-Like Mandrake this is part of Dynamite's KING line. I am loving where they are going with this Phantom.

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Modok: Assasin 1 & 2 - They had me at "Modok falls in love with a Thor".

I want this to go on beyond the (I think it's) 5 issues it's supposed to go. I want Modok and this Thor/Angel to team up and commit/fight crimes. THIS is why I still love funnybooks...