Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Music Thread

Comments

• Options
    Greg said:

Who ever originally brought up King's X, thank you! I had honestly forgotten all about them and could only remember It's Love. Just made my 20something co-worker watch the video. Have to go through their catalog now and take a listen to what I've missed.

You’re welcome. Like I said, their catalog is pretty hit or miss for me, but with some digging you can pull out some great songs. And they were great live. I remember the three stacks of huge Marshall amps behind them very clearly.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Speaking of albums that just barely miss the perfect album cut off.

Amazon has Appetite for Destruction by GNR on vinyl.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Lies is the only GnR record I own (got it from the discount bin, so the sleeve has a notch cut out), and the only one I will ever own. And I only got Lies for Side 2. My younger brother was totally into Appetite when it came out, but I was too deep into my Rush/Yes phase, and it didn’t do anything for me. Don’t get me wrong, I like some GnR stuff, just not enough to go out and buy an album.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Lies is the only GnR record I own (got it from the discount bin, so the sleeve has a notch cut out), and the only one I will ever own. And I only got Lies for Side 2. My younger brother was totally into Appetite when it came out, but I was too deep into my Rush/Yes phase, and it didn’t do anything for me. Don’t get me wrong, I like some GnR stuff, just not enough to go out and buy an album.

Ha, yeah those two versions of Rock are pretty far apart.

I used to hate Rush, but as I've gotten older I really like them. Moving Pictures was one of the first albums I bought on Vinyl, and I bought Cygnus x-1 book I&II Record Store Day release. Are there any albums you would recommend?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Are there any albums you would recommend?

Their first album, Rush, is pretty rough and much more straight ahead rock. It's okay. With Fly by Night, they start getting more prog, and you get these long suites of songs with five or six movements. The best of that phase for me is 2112 and Farewell to Kings. Moving Pictures has most of their classic songs everyone knows, but Permanent Waves has a similar sound and has some really good tracks too. Grace Under Pressure is underrated. Power Windows has some good songs, but it’s a little too synthy for me. Roll the Bones is a pretty decent album from the latter part of their catalog.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Are there any albums you would recommend?

Their first album, Rush, is pretty rough and much more straight ahead rock. It's okay. With Fly by Night, they start getting more prog, and you get these long suites of songs with five or six movements. The best of that phase for me is 2112 and Farewell to Kings. Moving Pictures has most of their classic songs everyone knows, but Permanent Waves has a similar sound and has some really good tracks too. Grace Under Pressure is underrated. Power Windows has some good songs, but it’s a little too synthy for me. Roll the Bones is a pretty decent album from the latter part of their catalog.
    There is 2112 mission on guitar hero that made me rethink Rush.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Speaking of near perfect cut-off and prog-rock group YES, '90125' is near-perfect, just way too short and a bit too slick for my tastes. I'm also a bit sentimental for it since it was their first album I owned. It's certainly no 'Fragile' or 'Close to the Edge,' but the group radically reinvented itself with the same producer as Frankie Goes to Hollywood and reached new levels of commercial and artistic achievement in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXjGAi2vtTY
  • Options

Speaking of near perfect cut-off and prog-rock group YES, '90125' is near-perfect, just way too short and a bit too slick for my tastes. I'm also a bit sentimental for it since it was their first album I owned. It's certainly no 'Fragile' or 'Close to the Edge,' but the group radically reinvented itself with the same producer as Frankie Goes to Hollywood and reached new levels of commercial and artistic achievement in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXjGAi2vtTY

My first Yes album as well, but I sold it years ago. There are three or four tracks that just aren't quite up to snuff for me, and after playing it so much over a one- to two-year period, I got a little bored with it.
  • Options
    I still frequently return to that one.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Time to go on tangent. Guitar Hero.

I'm not a musician, but I can push the crap out of buttons. So I usually play bass or guitar (if I need to rack up points). If I'm achievement hunting I'll mute the song after a run or 2 through and button push. It drives my wife nuts.
    So I'm jamming out in one of the GH games and go into the 2112 mission on guitar and get stomped. So I switch to bass , freakin' A Geddy, freakin' A. Also I decided Rush does not suck and is perfect music for video games.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Time to go on tangent. Guitar Hero.

I'm not a musician, but I can push the crap out of buttons. So I usually play bass or guitar (if I need to rack up points). If I'm achievement hunting I'll mute the song after a run or 2 through and button push. It drives my wife nuts.
    So I'm jamming out in one of the GH games and go into the 2112 mission on guitar and get stomped. So I switch to bass , freakin' A Geddy, freakin' A. Also I decided Rush does not suck and is perfect music for video games.

I had a really hard time getting used to Guitar Hero, especially with songs I knew how to play. My fingers were automatically going where they were supposed to go on the neck, which is not where the buttons are. I more or less got the hang of it, but I usually just play drums.

I got one of the Pro Guitar Controllers—found it dirt cheap online—where it has a button for every note, but that was even worse. Close enough to reality that I couldn’t retrain my hands to adjust for how the controller needed to be played. Pressing buttons just isn’t the same as pressing a string.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited September 2017
    I got bored with Guitar Hero pretty quickly when our family picked it up. Pretty much for the same reasons stated - "Why am I fake playing this when I can go pick up my bass and actually play it?"

Rush - I actually enjoy the first Rush album because it's them trying to be Led Zeppelin. A Farewell to Kings, Permanent Waves, and if you delve into their later stuff, Hold Your Fire (the height of Geddy's flirtation with keyboards) ("Prime Mover" being my favorite Rush song, period), Counterparts, and Vapor Trails are all great albums as well.

GnR - I may be one of the five people on the planet who enjoyed Chinese Democracy. :D

90125 began my love affair with all things Trevor Rabin. Solo stuff. Soundtracks. Recent reunion with Anderson and Wakeman. Great guitarist who knows how to hear a good hook. If you can find his solo album (probably in the cheap bins) Can't Look Away, it's very solid pop-rock.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    You and Axl, @Torchsong.
    I actually didn't dislike the album; I just didn't really like it. But I have heard that the current tour plays songs from it, and Slash really makes it sound great. So maybe it was a good album in the hands of the wrong band.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I got bored with Guitar Hero pretty quickly when our family picked it up. Pretty much for the same reasons stated - "Why am I fake playing this when I can go pick up my bass and actually play it?"

Try Rocksmith! It is a video game on all the consoles and PC (Steam), but it is also a teaching tool.
  • Options
    So my son texted us yesterday to tell us he’s now playing sax in a ska band. College rite of passage achieved.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
  • Options
    DAR said:

RIP Tom Petty

Awful, terrible news. What a loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGwzXpmlNTI
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Not a huge fan of Petty, but I certainly like his stuff in general. He wrote some catchy hooks and had a unique sound, which is more than you can say about a lot of artists. Definitely worthy of being in the Hall of Fame.

This took me off-guard a bit. I hadn't heard anything about it, what with yesterday's Las Vegas tragedy dominating the news. But I'm sure an artist of his stature will get the attention he deserves over the next few days.
  • Options
    Wait so he's not dead?
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Not a huge fan of Petty, but I certainly like his stuff in general. He wrote some catchy hooks and had a unique sound, which is more than you can say about a lot of artists. Definitely worthy of being in the Hall of Fame.

This took me off-guard a bit. I hadn't heard anything about it, what with yesterday's Las Vegas tragedy dominating the news. But I'm sure an artist of his stature will get the attention he deserves over the next few days.

He is/was on my list of acts still to see. I've let far too many of my favorites Bowie/Zevon/Ramones... get past me.
  • Options
    Tom Petty is still alive but unconscious after suffering a full cardiac arrest

http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/02/tom-petty-found-unconscious-full-cardiac-arrest/
  • Options
    edited October 2017

He did not recover. Statement from his family indicates that he passed at 8:40 PT. May you, Roy and George rock on.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Last night, I heard a song by Wolf Parade. Liked it very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G1eLTV89dM
  • Options
    So you're given the chance to show up anywhere you want with entrance music. What are you picking? It can also be multiple.

For me I'd go with either the beginning of Eminence Front, Jump Around or Throw Your Set in the Air.
  • Options
    DAR said:

So you're given the chance to show up anywhere you want with entrance music. What are you picking? It can also be multiple.

For me I'd go with either the beginning of Eminence Front, Jump Around or Throw Your Set in the Air.

Spirit by Bauhaus, but it has to be the album version. The single just doesn't grab me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuiuySl23JM
  • Options
    hauberk said:

He did not recover. Statement from his family indicates that he passed at 8:40 PT. May you, Roy and George rock on.
    Saw a very moving tribute to Tom Petty last night. Got a little something in my eye toward the end when they did The End of the Line. Hard to believe that 3/5 of the band is now gone.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

hauberk said:

Saw a very moving tribute to Tom Petty last night. Got a little something in my eye toward the end when they did The End of the Line. Hard to believe that 3/5 of the band is now gone.
    Sad. Agreed - I'm shocked Dylan still lives, frankly. What was the name of the doc/tribute you watched?

There's a GREAT documentary called "Runnin' Down a Dream" by Peter Bognanovich that runs nearly 4 hours available on Netflix streaming right now that's well worth a watch, btw.
  • Options
    DAR said:

Fugazi's Waiting Room.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    DAR said:

The intro riff to "Heavy Metal Machine" by Smashing Pumpkins...
  • Options
    Dog Party is opening for the Aquabats is Saturday. Never heard of them. Found a Youtube vid. They're a lot of fun.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsJYcYxq1Tc