Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Music Thread

Comments

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Boston: Boston is perfect

So is:
    Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
    Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd
    Kid A, Radiohead
    Aja, Steely Dan
    Low, David Bowie
    Synchronicity, The Police
    Nevermind, Nirvana
    Back In Black, AC/DC
    Purple Rain, Prince
    DAR said:

Hip Hop album for me

Still not up to he same level of Licensed to Ill, for me at least. I listened to that in boot camp at least a 1000 times.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128

So is:
    Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
    Kid A, Radiohead
    Aja, Steely Dan
    Low, David Bowie
    Nevermind, Nirvana
    Back In Black, AC/DC
    Purple Rain, Prince

Is this where I mention that Nirvana was a touch overrated?
  • Synchronicity, The Police

For my money, Synchronicity is their fourth-best album. Reggatta de Blanc is far and away their best. No sophomore slump for those lads.
  • And I’ll go ahead and say it. If I never hear another Boston song again, it will be too soon. I liked Boston well enough back in the day, I'm just sick of hearing them. After a while all their music runs together and starts to sound the same.
  • DAR said:

So is:
    Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
    Kid A, Radiohead
    Aja, Steely Dan
    Low, David Bowie
    Nevermind, Nirvana
    Back In Black, AC/DC
    Purple Rain, Prince

No, that should go in the “Two Truths and One Lie” thread as your lie. :)
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited September 2017
    Beatles - Rubber Soul - doesn't put a foot wrong
    Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare - the return/best of great British Indie music
    Oasis - Definately Maybe - the original great British Indie album
    Led Zeppelin - IV - maybe my favourite album ever.
    Dr Dre - 2001
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

I don't skip a song on these albums. My litmus for a perfect album.

For my money, Synchronicity is their fourth-best album. Reggatta de Blanc is far and away their best. No sophomore slump for those lads.
    That may be so, but Synchronicity was my first LP from them so it has a both a sentimental and objectively high ranking in my mind.
    DAR said:

YMMV, but Nevermind was the catalyst for one of the biggest cultural shifts in American music since The Beatles crossed the pond. That album is thoroughly relistenable from start to finish. If you’re a fan of alternative rock today, you have Nirvana to thank. They put a stake through 80's metal and shoved Loverboy into retirement.
  • DAR said:

I'm trying hard not to give the cliched answer of something Beatles, but Revolver

Abbey Road
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited September 2017

That may be so, but Synchronicity was my first LP from them so it has a both a sentimental and objectively high ranking in my mind.
    It was the first of their albums I bought as well. In fact it was probably the third or fourth album I bought with my own money. Reggatta de Blanc, though, was the first album I bought on CD.
  • DAR said:

I'm trying hard not to give the cliched answer of something Beatles, but Revolver

Abbey Road
    I love Abbey Road, but it doesn’t really feel like a constructed album, where every song has its place, and the album would be incomplete if you took any of the songs away. As such, I would never call it a perfect or near-perfect album.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm a Rubber Soul man, myself.

I'll borrow from Bralinator's list and agree on:

Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
    Aja, Steely Dan
    Purple Rain, Prince

Not that the other selections aren't great albums, but if we're going for pure perfection, these would definitely be on my list as well.

Outlandos was the best Police album.

Best Rap: Fear of a Black Planet, PE.

Also props to Luke52 for adding Definitely Maybe. Hate Oasis all you like...that album is amazing.
    Other Music News:

Props to my favorite band - Marillion - for winning Best British Act in the 2017 Prog Awards. Long deserve. F*ck Everyone And Run (FEAR) is a phenomenal album.

Shade by Living Colour is nothing but awesome...the lads take on the Blues and kick it all over the place. Best since Stain.
  • YMMV, but Nevermind was the catalyst for one of the biggest cultural shifts in American music since The Beatles crossed the pond.

Without question.

DAR said:

That album is thoroughly relistenable from start to finish.
    Absolutely, though it’s not my favorite of their albums. I think Cobain’s songwriting got better with each album, even though the resulting music wasn’t always as broadly appealing.

If you’re a fan of alternative rock today, you have Nirvana to thank.

What is alternative rock today? I’m not sure that subgenre really exists anymore, because for it to exist, there needs to be a mainstream rock genre that it goes against. Any radio station calling itself a rock station these days, is either playing music from at least 20 years ago, or they’re playing music that would have been considered alternative back in the ’80s/early ’90s.

They put a stake through 80's metal and shoved Loverboy into retirement.

Metal was already in the process of shifting thanks mostly to Guns ’N’ Roses and Metallica. Hair bands were dying out before the ’80s were done. Nirvana was just the straw that broke the camel’s back. Loverboy, even though they’re technically still together, stopped being relevant around 1987.

Doesn’t make Nirvana any less great or important though.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    DAR said:

So is:
    Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
    Kid A, Radiohead
    Aja, Steely Dan
    Low, David Bowie
    Nevermind, Nirvana
    Back In Black, AC/DC
    Purple Rain, Prince

I used to think the same thing until the unplugged album.
  • Greg said:

DAR said:

So is:
    Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
    Kid A, Radiohead
    Aja, Steely Dan
    Low, David Bowie
    Nevermind, Nirvana
    Back In Black, AC/DC
    Purple Rain, Prince

I used to think the same thing until the unplugged album.
    Unplugged was a great record. I can almost forgive MTV for everything else they’ve done because of that record.
  • Torchsong said:

Second-best. ;)

Torchsong said:

Second-best. ;)
    You're right. Forgot about Zenyatta. :smiley:
  • Torchsong said:

Shade by Living Colour is nothing but awesome...the lads take on the Blues and kick it all over the place. Best since Stain.

Sweet! I didn’t know this was out. I'll give it a listen soon. I've seen them live three times. The first time was in a dinky little club (which I would later play in myself, so you know it was small) with about 100 or so people. “Cult of Personality” had been released a couple of months earlier, but I hadn’t even heard it yet. It hadn’t really gotten any airplay in our market at that point. I’d read about them in Guitar Player magazine (or maybe Guitar World), and checked them out based on the review. Glad I did. During the show I was standing right up against the stage in front of Reid’s monitor and effects pedal box. I could easily read the set list he had taped to the floor. That was an awesome show.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Torchsong said:

Other Music News:

Props to my favorite band - Marillion - for winning Best British Act in the 2017 Prog Awards. Long deserve. F*ck Everyone And Run (FEAR) is a phenomenal album.

Awesome I'll check out both albums.
  • Torchsong said:

Torchsong said:

Second-best. ;)
    You're right. Forgot about Zenyatta. :smiley:
    Zenyatta Mondatta gets relegated to third because of the awful “De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da”. Otherwise it would be neck and neck with Reggatta for me. “Driven to Tears” may be my favorite Police song.

Torchsong said:

Sweet! I didn’t know this was out. I'll give it a listen soon. I've seen them live three times. The first time was in a dinky little club (which I would later play in myself, so you know it was small) with about 100 or so people. “Cult of Personality” had been released a couple of months earlier, but I hadn’t even heard it yet. It hadn’t really gotten any airplay in our market at that point. I’d read about them in Guitar Player magazine (or maybe Guitar World), and checked them out based on the review. Glad I did. During the show I was standing right up against the stage in front of Reid’s monitor and effects pedal box. I could easily read the set list he had taped to the floor. That was an awesome show.
    I haven't followed those guys since 'Time's Up' was on the charts (1990?). I only saw them once, when they were the opening act for the Rolling Stones' Steel Wheels tour in 1989. Great, great show, but too big to be personal. I mostly like dinky little club shows. That tour was an odd pairing to be sure, but Mick Jagger got them signed to Epic and produced their first album, 'Vivid'.
  • Torchsong said:

I haven't followed those guys since 'Time's Up' was on the charts (1990?). I only saw them once, when they were the opening act for the Rolling Stones' Steel Wheels tour in 1989. Great, great show, but too big to be personal. I mostly like dinky little club shows. That tour was an odd pairing to be sure, but Mick Jagger got them signed to Epic and produced their first album, 'Vivid'.
    Each time I saw them, it was in a very different venue. First was in the small club in ’88, the second time was at Lollapalooza in ’91 at a big outdoor amphitheater, and the third time was in the same amphitheater the NC Symphony generally performs in (in ’92, ’93?)—great sound for that one, and King’s X opened for them. They were fantastic each time, but each had its own feel.

Each time I saw them, it was in a very different venue. First was in the small club in ’88, the second time was at Lollapalooza in ’91 at a big outdoor amphitheater, and the third time was in the same amphitheater the NC Symphony generally performs in (in ’92, ’93?)—great sound for that one, and King’s X opened for them. They were fantastic each time, but each had its own feel.

Never been to a Lollapalooza, but I'm casual friends with King's X (Dug and Jerry)

• Each time I saw them, it was in a very different venue. First was in the small club in ’88, the second time was at Lollapalooza in ’91 at a big outdoor amphitheater, and the third time was in the same amphitheater the NC Symphony generally performs in (in ’92, ’93?)—great sound for that one, and King’s X opened for them. They were fantastic each time, but each had its own feel.

Never been to a Lollapalooza, but I'm casual friends with King's X (Dug and Jerry)
    Nice! I don't like all their stuff, and haven’t followed them in a long, long time, but they’ve made some really good music. Always liked Pinnick’s voice.

Nice! I don't like all their stuff, and haven’t followed them in a long, long time, but they’ve made some really good music. Always liked Pinnick’s voice.
    I'm not really a huge fan either, but I could listen to Summerland several times in a row without getting bored.
    Pinnick stepped in for Corey Glover for part of a Living Colour tour (I think he was doing a play or something like that so he couldn't commit to the dates). I would have loved to have seen one of those shows.
    Torchsong said:

Pinnick stepped in for Corey Glover for part of a Living Colour tour (I think he was doing a play or something like that so he couldn't commit to the dates). I would have loved to have seen one of those shows.

As would I!
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Who ever originally brought up King's X, thank you! I had honestly forgotten all about them and could only remember It's Love. Just made my 20something co-worker watch the video. Have to go through their catalog now and take a listen to what I've missed.