Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Official Thread (Spoiler Heavy)

Comments

• Options
    Woof, I think I am at te point where I am just watching as an act of masochism. This ep managed to be worse than the first three.

I just don't understand what they are going for. The hook is marvel, every episode should be steeped in marvel ness.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Did anyone else get a 5 minute Motorola commercial at the beginning of the show?

Seriously, I think i actually slept through the first ad break.
  • Options
    I honestly don't see what everybody else is complaining about. I'm enjoying the series so far. Could be better, sure, but it could also be a whole lot worse. I'm in for the run.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879

Did anyone else get a 5 minute Motorola commercial at the beginning of the show?

Seriously, I think i actually slept through the first ad break.

was that the one going on and on and on and on and on about the phone made of kevlar or whatever with the endless annoying music? Jesus that thing was painful.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    another great episode

apologies to everyone that needed the first 7 volumes of the marvel encyclopedia by now

the commercial is only 10 seconds when you're on the DVR

I think I'll need one more viewing before next week.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I'm more then amazed how there's a near 50/50 split on those that like the show & those that don't. I have a theory that most of the "I'll give it 1 more week" people won't find anything to continue with the show.

M
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I looked up from the drawing table, said "Oh...I missed Agents of Shield", shrugged my shoulders and went back to work.

Let me know if it gets better...that's why we have Hulu and Netflix.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Four episodes in and I'm still not loving or hating the show. I actually found myself playing a game on my phone during this episode, something I didn't do during the previous three. I want to enjoy it, but aside from Gregg and Ming Na Wen, I'm not impressed by any of the actors. They're either blandly attractive or annoying, or a combination of both.

Last night I found myself hoping that the plan all along is to kill off one or two of them and bring in someone new. I feel like that may be the case with Fitzsimmons, since I don't see why we need both of them.

I'm okay with the lack of direct Marvel references, though I am a little surprised that four episodes in we haven't had a more direct connection, or at least something that felt more like a comic book concept. Right now, it doesn't feel much different than something that might air on SyFy or USA. That Marvel connection should be taking it to a whole new level.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Each episode has been better than the one before and Skye and Ward were actually kind of interesting last night. Good show so far.
    I never miss an episode of this, Arrow, Parks and Rec, Masters of Sex, Homeland or any other show I watch. Its called a DVR. Who watches live TV anymore?
  • Options
    I could also take it or leave it. I've watched every episode so far and I want to love it, but I think it's pretty boring... it's no Buffy
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    JDick said:

Each episode has been better than the one before and Skye and Ward were actually kind of interesting last night. Good show so far.
    I never miss an episode of this, Arrow, Parks and Rec, Masters of Sex, Homeland or any other show I watch. Its called a DVR. Who watches live TV anymore?

They were actually better last night. I just think that the show is struggling to make them intriguing, when casting more interesting, unusual actors could have solved a lot of that issue right off the bat. The casts of Whedon's other shows were generally attractive, but it wasn't their most defining characteristic. Not that I wanted to see them literally do this, but imagine Nathan Fillion as Ward and Alyson Hannigan as Skye, and right away you get a more interesting cast.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623

I could also take it or leave it. I've watched every episode so far and I want to love it, but I think it's pretty boring... it's no Buffy

I'd argue that Buffy wasn't really Buffy by Teacher's Pet either. We're not going to get Hush or season 3 one month in
  • Options
    At least "Mutant X" had better eye candy, lol. But that show from the 90s and "MAoS" both have a very... none-of-this-matters tone. Both very disposable, at least for now.

I think the biggest problem with MAoS is this battle between viewers and the network. Viewers want more superheroics, a la what they've seen in all of the Marvel movies which whetted mainstream America's appetite for Agent Coulson and SHIELD. But Disney/ABC would prefer to produce a show heavy on spies - with less superheroics - because spy-fi is waaay cheaper than sci-fi. It all comes down to money.

I'll wager that MAoS will indeed improve as the season progresses, as the showrunners and network find a balance between budget and creative, and find ways to get us comfortable with the show they can provide. I predict that MAoS might go the "Alias" route for story structure - with dashes of superheroics here and there to distinguish the brand.
  • Options
    P.S. In last night's episode, I wanted Agent Ward to look up at that inkboard and see this equation:

"Scrappy Doo / Neelix / Jar Jar / FitzSimmons"
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited October 2013
    I only watched it 5 hours ago and I am already having trouble recalling what happened. If anyone can tell me what's to like about this show except that its "not bad", please do so. Because where I'm from when someone says "Its not bad" they usually follow that up with "Its not good either."

I'll wager that MAoS will indeed improve as the season progresses, as the showrunners and network find a balance between budget and creative, and find ways to get us comfortable with the show they can provide. I predict that MAoS might go the "Alias" route for story structure - with dashes of superheroics here and there to distinguish the brand.

Ha, they wish MAoS could be as good as Alias was out of the gate. (even if it didn't hold up after season 2). This show's problem is that the characters aren't interesting or entertaining by themselves and the show has no direction, only a paper-thin premise. This teams job is to, what, search for people/places/and things that are weird? And do what? Shoot them off into space? Bury them? Protect them? Exploit them? Hug them and apologize for being a jerk? You have no idea what to expect from week to week, in a bad way. The fact that people want to see more superheroics illustrates how weak the show is, because nobody feels like it stands on its own.

But now that its scheduled on my DVR I'll have to make extra effort to not record it, and I'm notoriously lazy. So here's to next week!

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I wonder if they have any plans to tie into the new Thor movie? Will the characters acknowledge the events? It'd be cool if the movie mentions SHIELD trying to accomplish some mission and then we see it on the show. I'm probably hoping for too much.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    JDick said:

I never miss an episode of this, Arrow, Parks and Rec, Masters of Sex, Homeland or any other show I watch. blockquote>

Masters of Sex!? what the hell is that and why havnt I heard of it!? is it like American ninja warrior or something I imagine?

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I actually think that's a bad comparison. Buffy created its own universe as the show progressed. MAoS is supposed to exist with a universe we're familiar with & have experienced before through the movies.

I'd say its like the movie Prometheus; its supposed to exist within the Aliens universe, but really seemed to stand on its own. Although I did enjoy the movie, I did keep thinking "show me some freaking Aliens already!"

M
  • Options
    I like the show 'cuz it entertains me. No, I am not blown away by the depth of characters or plot but I watch it every week, on Hulu, so it is appointment Tv for me.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Not too bad a script this week, far less ham-handed telegraphy.

I miss the funny, though.

Not a single genuine laugh in two weeks.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Maybe it wasn't meant to be funny but I laughed when the screen said "Seduce Him.m

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Maybe it wasn't meant to be funny but I laughed when the screen said "Seduce Him.
    Forgot that.

Yeah. OK. One laugh.

More than last week.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Watched the latest ep via Hulu...this is the first one I've actually enjoyed. They're getting closer to what I was hoping to see in the series. Still haven't really found a cast member I genuinely care about, but we may get there...
  • Options
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I like the show but it isn't "Must See" tv. I will try it again post-baseball season.

Matthew
  • Options
    The last episode was great. Again, the show keeps building..and that's a good thing. Too many shows start off strong and then slowly fizzle out as the season moves along. Here's hoping they keep the momentum going.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The last episode was great. Again, the show keeps building..and that's a good thing. Too many shows start off strong and then slowly fizzle out as the season moves along. Here's hoping they keep the momentum going.

"great" might be overstating it a bit. I'm still tuning in every week but i usually feel "meh" at the end rather than, "WOW! that was great!".
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,883
    edited October 2013
    I wasn't grabbed by the first episode, and with not much time for watching, some other, already great, current and old shows are crowding this out for me. I do hope it gets better, and with the added confidence and time of a full season pick-up, I am guessing it will. I hope they can move away from the "like me like me!" audition energy of pre-pick up- that needy energy that hurts so many network shows that go from pilot to early episodes being made at a time when every week is an audition. Hopefully they can get more risky or experimental as they get into their back 13 episodes or whatever, and commit to some longer or more complex stories. Time will tell.

I figure you guys have it covered, so as soon as I see an episode that is getting a lot of raves I will jump back on. So, thank you, I need you on this wall.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I will never stop watching this show, but right now, it's a bit cookie-cutter.