Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Official Thread (Spoiler Heavy)

Comments

• Options
    It has a lot of problems. It's doing better with its characterizations (especially regarding Fitz, who is becoming quite interesting), and the plotline is becoming more Marvel-ish, so I'm optimistic.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    I liked this episode and do think the series has been getting better.

How crazy would it be if the Clairvoyant was revealed to be the Red Skull?
  • Options
    The episodes indeed have been getting better, they had nowhere to go but up. I think the Thor tie-in gave the series a shot in the arm. Who knows maybe the elder Whedon is contributing more to his brother and sister-in-law's story ideas now.

I like the little subplots that have developed, even though they are quickly being checked off, I hope new ones will surface.

I don't want to be too hard on the show though, they are doing very good for the limitations imposed on them. Limited to Zero Marvel Studios characters having a major presence (besides Son of Coul) and I would think mutants and fantastic four related characters were off limits. The Marvel U is a big place though. I hope they go to the Savage Land at some point, if that doesn't count as X-Related.
  • Options

I liked this episode and do think the series has been getting better.

How crazy would it be if the Clairvoyant was revealed to be the Red Skull?

I think the Clairvoyant is inside SHIELD.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited February 2014
  • Options
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Happy now?

Down with tyrants! Moustaches for everyone!
  • Options
    Just watched "Item 47" on the Avengers Blu-Ray.

It's so much better than any episode of MAOS it kinda hurts.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

Just watched "Item 47" on the Avengers Blu-Ray.

It's so much better than any episode of MAOS it kinda hurts.

Haha, I actually concur.

M
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    fredzilla said:

Deathlok!

I haven't been in this thread for a little while so that was a really cool reveal. What did you think?

I liked this episode quite a bit. In addition to Deathlok, it also had a nice little nod to Abomination.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Holy crap.... these episodes have been great for me. It felt like when I was watching Arrow.... almost, anyway. I think it helps that I caught up on the three new ones in one sitting.

Stupid reruns. I'm ready for next week.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

Holy crap.... these episodes have been great for me. It felt like when I was watching Arrow.... almost, anyway. I think it helps that I caught up on the three new ones in one sitting.

You're ready for the Bachelor finale?!

Agents of SHIELD returns on March 4.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623

ooohhh Juan Pablo*

*wife watches it, I occasionally overhear dumb tv people saying dumb tv things
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Ha ha, thanks.

No Bachelor for me. Burning Love, on the other hand...
  • Options
    Just saw a commercial for the return of AoS and it's new story arc. Looks like they are claiming its going to be tied to Cap 2. Even gave it a name MAoS: Uprising.
  • Options

Just saw a commercial for the return of AoS and it's new story arc. Looks like they are claiming its going to be tied to Cap 2. Even gave it a name MAoS: Uprising.

:-\"
  • Options
    WetRats said:

So the first 1/2 of the season were filler episodes?! ;)

M
  • Options
    There is no such thing as a filler episode
  • Options

You need to watch Smallville. The show essentially came down to watching season premiere, sweeps week, & season finale.

M
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Matt said:

You need to watch Smallville. The show essentially came down to watching season premiere, sweeps week, & season finale.

M
    I don't know that I'd agree with that. I remember looking forward to each week's episode. They rarely felt like 'fillers' to me.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Matt said:

M
    I don't know that I'd agree with that. I remember looking forward to each week's episode. They rarely felt like 'fillers' to me.
    The meteor freaks of the week wore me down. One of the episodes I enjoyed watching, Obsession, felt like a filler episode. There was maybe 5 minutes to the ongoing season arc. In season 10, there was an episode where Lois got possessed by Isis & another where Lois & Clark encountered superpowered Amish people. I kept thinking "I just don't care, let's get back to the season arc."

Shows like The Shield that have about 10 episode seasons seemed to keep the ongoing arc more prominent in each episode.

There are a lot of shows I think would benefit from having 10-13 episode seasons, airing twice a year. It'd give another show or 2 a similar schedule & chance to get aired.

I can't say M:AoS is one of those shows because I haven't watched the series. BUT, imagine if the show's purpose being to tee up the next Marvel movie.

M
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Yeah, that Amish episode did seem to drag at that... in fact, it reminded me a lot of the Unity episode from the Animated Superman series which, at least, had Supergirl in it.
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

M
    They're called "Standalone Episodes."

Not every series has to be completely arc-driven.

Admittedly, I tend to prefer series with a strong seasonal arc, but it's a fairly recent development, and by no means essential.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M

Admittedly, I tend to prefer series with a strong seasonal arc, but it's a fairly recent development, and by no means essential.
    X-Files has proven that a "stand-alone/serialized" mixed format can work. The trick is to make the stand-alones as good or better than the serialized stories. MAoS seems like its treading water when it's not dealing with the season arc. Filler episodes do exist. They tend to be smaller in scope, cheaper to produce and exist only to fill a show's contractual episode order. They don't add anything to the characters, the story or are generally entertaining. I'm not going to say every ep of MAoS was filler, but some eps definitely felt like it. Too many.
  • Options
    WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 94
    X-Files used to call them "Monster of the Week" episodes, and they'd generally do two MoW's to one story-driven episode. In Agents of SHIELD's case, they're the leftover Chitauri superflu, or the guy from Dragonslayer turning out to be more than he seems. The formula works.
  • Options
    Whirlwind said:

X-Files used to call them "Monster of the Week" episodes, and they'd generally do two MoW's to one story-driven episode. In Agents of SHIELD's case, they're the leftover Chitauri superflu, or the guy from Dragonslayer turning out to be more than he seems. The formula works.

I call them "Agents of SHIELD actually doing their damned jobs instead of pursuing their personal agendas episodes."
  • Options
    WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 94
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M

You're right. Most of my favorite shows growing up only had a running show premise, not a season arc. In fact, I think I first learned about season arcs from Buffy: TVS. I recall Whedon stating Angel was envisioned as standalone episodes. He found that it became difficult to do with the series & during latter half of season one proceeded with an arc.

Since M:AoS is both wrapped in a comic book universe & associated with Whedon, I wouldn't have expected many standalones. I'm not saying the first half were all standalones (I only watched 4 episodes), but I think potentially having fewer would've strengthen the series. The first halves of season 1 & 5 of Angel sure would've.

M