Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Official Thread (Spoiler Heavy)

Comments

• Options
    monsterswinmonsterswin Posts: 15
    <<<Meanwhile, Warner Brothers has announced a Flash movie, and announced it not only won't tie into the TV universe, it won't even be the same actor. They're not even going to bother. Say what you will, but I feel like the Marvel universe is being lovingly crafted, when they could say "why bother" and just print money. Instead, they care.</p>

I agree that the Marvel Universe has been and is being carefully built with much attention and thought to it. They have built a new and different model for franchises. The films are starting to (more and more) become like Marvel comic books in their connectedness, and in the case of AOU, even their pacing. They have been the first to really make an attempt to build other stories on lower budgeted TV shows that also fit into the grand scheme in one way or the other. I would think there are bound to be misteps along the way for something like this, and bringing Coulson back was one of them. DD however is a great start and blows Arrow (a show that started fairly well but has totally gone off the rails and has NOTHING to do with Green Arrow at all) out of the water. WB's in comparison seem like floundering fish as they try to figure out a way to get their own cash grab out of all of this. Superman and Batman together in the same movie is an obvious hit, but we have not seen how carefully they have crafted THEIR universe as of yet. They obviously don't care about the TV/film reciprocation so....we will see.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    WetRats said:

The audience deserves better than half hearted fan service.

I'm so sick of the term "fan service".

How dare the creators of entertainment actually do something their audience enjoys?
    Fan service is pandering to the fans, doing something the fan base likes or wants or acknowledging them through the fourth wall. It's service to the audience instead of the characters or story. It's actually fine most of the time, when it's clever and fun winks and nods. But if it derails the story and is half-hearted (nothing about this season made it seem like the writers wanted to tie in to AoU) then it's bad. An example of good fan service from MAoS, that time the girl with the X-ray eye looked at Deathlok and he looked just like the comic version.
    hauberk said:

Tonebone said:

WetRats said:

Anybody else thinks it's about time to start calling Skye "Agent Johnson"?

I've been looking for a Die Hard gif ever since I saw this. You can bet If she's ever killed off I'm finding the "we're gonna need some more FBI guys" gif.

As for season 3... I hope it's good. They kinda lost the thread the last half of the season. And that Ultron tie-in was worse than the Thor 2 tie in. "Here's some info Maria Hill" episode ends. Episode starts, "Irrelevant plot point to show about helicarrier" followed by "Man, Ultron was scarrrry, sure glad none of that mess made its way over here."

If that's what they're going to do, they are better off not even trying to shoehorn stuff like that in. It was such a non-issue for the overall storyline that it was kind of embarrassing to watch everyone discuss it. Raina gives a prophecy of doom, and the next episode it's all over, off screen and no one has been affected by any of it (least of all the Inhumans) except the resolution of minor plot points that were only introduced in the last 2-3 episodes anyway, and never seemed to fit with what else had been going on. Which is CRAZY, because all these people who work for Real SHIELD just found out Nick Fury is still alive. Are you kidding? No one is angry about this? No one suspects Coulson of being Fury's puppet? Nobody is upset that there WAS a major lie at the center of Coulson's directorship? Instead they are still butthurt about his alien ressurection?

And having not seen the movie yet, it's even more clearly awkward because they are trying to have it both ways, making it look connected and also not giving away any major spoilers. It just sounded dumb as they danced around all the major plot points.
    Got to disagree with you. I find it AMAZING that they can coordinate a weekly tv series with a movie series, as well as they do... Remember, the whole last season of SHIELD was based on the Hydra plotline from Winter Soldier. So the whole season was planned to roll over with Hydra taking over the very WEEK the movie premiered.

This time, the plotline of the show involved the Inhumans being captured and experimented on, by the same program that involved Wanda and Pietro. Sure, they had a conference call with Maria Hill, and a dodgy premonition from Raina, but the timing and coordination necessary just to pull this off is amazing.

Meanwhile, Warner Brothers has announced a Flash movie, and announced it not only won't tie into the TV universe, it won't even be the same actor. They're not even going to bother. Say what you will, but I feel like the Marvel universe is being lovingly crafted, when they could say "why bother" and just print money. Instead, they care.
    It was all so tangential that it was inconsequential. As for timing things, that only works the week it comes out. A year or two from now those scenes stop being commercials for a movie are just bad television. Winter Soldier at least had something to do with the show. And I still haven't seen AoU (not because I don't want to, but it's beginning to look like this is going to become a rental) so when I finally watch it, will I care about this particular tie-in? I appreciate that MAoS is concurrent with the movies and that it references them, but it's already firmly established as being in the same universe. If it isn't part or the story then don't include it or make it a real part of the story instead of having an entire subplot take place off camera then reference it like we're supposed to be invested. The audience deserves better than half hearted fan service.
    That's an issue across all media - especially comics. For me, that's part of the charm of the way things are linked. The little inserts in the movies and TV series are incredibly similar to so many tie-in issues.

Does the bar scene with Thunderbolt Ross in IM2 lose something by being taken out of context? Absolutely, but that's also true of the heroes flying into or out of the BattleWorld portals from the original Secret Wars.

It may be clunky of you look at it exclusively as a TV series but as a part of the broader MCCU tapestry, a variant on the comic format, it's something true to its source material.
    I agree with the comic tie-in comparison, and it's also one of my least favorite aspects of comics (not the shared universe, but the tie-in that doesn't have any real bearing on either the series it's happening in or the series it's tieing into). But I disagree with the Thunderbolt Ross scene (actually in Hulk) as it was not presented as part of the movie, just a fun post script (good fan service) but it also built toward the Avengers, which is the metaseries most of the Marvel movies belong to. MAoS doesn't seem to be allowed to either exist on its own or have influence on the Avengers series by adding something meaningful to the narrative. Which is one of the show's major shortcomings.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

MAoS doesn't seem to be allowed to either exist on its own or have influence on the Avengers series by adding something meaningful to the narrative. Which is one of the show's major shortcomings.

Another is the fact that their moral compass is rather ambiguous which frequently makes it difficult to root for them. As an intelligence organization, they've become a necessary evil in a world full of crazy powers and events that no one else is prepared to deal with. If there were any way to include some interaction with top tier characters in the superhero community (like Hawkeye or Cap) the show could be so much better by showing that contrast between being a force for good versus a security force. The fact that they haven't been able/willing to get a guest star from anyone in the Avengers other than Fury is a disappointment. Even the original Nick Fury knew that S.H.I.E.L.D. wasn't necessarily the "good guys" and the MCU has proven that out.

• Options
    monsterswinmonsterswin Posts: 15
    AOS hasn't been that great of a show for sure, but that tie in with Winter Soldier/Hydra and Shield collapsing was pretty damn good. Didn't last long though unfortunately. Hawkeye or the Widow showing up every now and then would help elevate the show a lot out of the lower budgeted, episodic trap that all TV shows fall into. At least a little. The moral compass is fairly clear to me in the show though, and I have no trouble knowing who to root for.
  • Options

AOS hasn't been that great of a show for sure, but that tie in with Winter Soldier/Hydra and Shield collapsing was pretty damn good. Didn't last long though unfortunately. Hawkeye or the Widow showing up every now and then would help elevate the show a lot out of the lower budgeted, episodic trap that all TV shows fall into. At least a little. The moral compass is fairly clear to me in the show though, and I have no trouble knowing who to root for.

Didn't last long? It's still happening. Hydra gained power and Shield's resources, as shield collapsed... that's what the ENTIRE series has been about since then. Agents betrayed the team, people died, Hydra won. There have been other plot threads, some of them major, but they have never returned to their former power and glory...

It literally turned the show upside-down, and it stayed that way.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Just read how the comic book series is taking more and more from the TV show, which also affects other areas of the comic book Marvel U:
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/27/making-quake-an-inhuman-and-changing-her-name-to-skye-in-the-comics/
  • Options

Nice. Now I am craving a slow - roasted ham with a sweet pineapple honey glaze..
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    One of this week's casting announcements has me believing that this season will be heavily involved in setting up the background for Civil War.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    WetRats said:

One of this week's casting announcements has me believing that this season will be heavily involved in setting up the background for Civil War.

Share Please!
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Hex said:

WetRats said:

Share Please!
    Yes. Elaborate! Interested parties want to know.
  • Options
    Casting for Agents of SHIELD this week:
    Constance Zimmer (“Entourage,” “House of Cards,” “Boston Legal”) is set to play the head of a mysterious new government agency that will cross paths with S.H.I.E.L.D. as both seek out new Inhumans following the events of last season. This agency head will act as principal antagonist for Clark Gregg’s Agent Coulson and might be more than his match, though it is unclear if she will turn out to be a friend or foe as the season plays out.
    Andrew Howard is a new addition to the cast of Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., landing a major recurring role. He will play Banks, an authoritative and intimidating agent on the third season of the series.
    In addition to the returning core cast, fan favorite Agent Mack (played by Henry Simmons) will now be a series regular. He very nearly was in season two, but now you're assured to see him in every episode of season three!

You can also expect to see more of Luke Mitchell as the energy wielding Inhuman known as Lincoln Campbell in Agents of SHIELD season three. He's just been upped to series regular, which should give you even more of an indication of the Inhumans-centric tone they'll be taking.
  • Options
    Thanks for the assist.

I posted from my phone, from which posting links to the forum is a giant pain.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

Constance Zimmer (“Entourage,” “House of Cards,” “Boston Legal”) is set to play the head of a mysterious new government agency that will cross paths with S.H.I.E.L.D. as both seek out new Inhumans following the events of last season. This agency head will act as principal antagonist for Clark Gregg’s Agent Coulson and might be more than his match, though it is unclear if she will turn out to be a friend or foe as the season plays out.

I'm going to go ahead and predict that she will not be more than a match for Director Coulson.

I mentioned this over in the Netflix thread. we finished season 2 a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed it. Was it perfect? Nope, but overall we liked it better than season 1.
    The last 2/3 episodes were not as strong as season 1's finale, but how could they be?

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    mwhitt80 said:

I'm going to go ahead and predict that she will not be more than a match for Director Coulson.

I mentioned this over in the Netflix thread. we finished season 2 a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed it. Was it perfect? Nope, but overall we liked it better than season 1.
    The last 2/3 episodes were not as strong as season 1's finale, but how could they be?

My wife and I finally caught up with the final two episodes this week. We held off watching them until we saw Avengers, and then ended up not getting back to them right away.

I thought they were a little underwhelming, as well. Particularly the two hour finale, which felt as if it was only two hours so we could see Grant and Agent 44 torture Bobbie in a sub-plot that kept taking me away from the plot I cared about.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited August 2015

... a mysterious new government agency that will cross paths with S.H.I.E.L.D.

Speculation as to what this "Government Agency" might be?
    Secret Empire? S.W.O.R.D.? Commission on Superhuman Activities (to tie-in with the upcoming Cap: Civil War film)? Zodiac? Sons of the Serpent? H.A.M.M.E.R. played a big role in the Secret Warriors series, but that might be too closely tied to Norman Osborn.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I'm going to say HAMMER replace Norman with a character similiar character to Victoria Hand. Its not that big of a change.
  • Options
    I'm hoping it's S.W.O.R.D.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I'll admit, if it's Secret Empire, I might have to tune in.

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Well, I'm late to the party, but i've watched the last 2/3 of Season 2 this week.

I like the show a lot, love Agent Morse and Hunter and Mac. My only real complaints about the show are #1 Its a little too violent (I know, its an action show). But there's at least a dozen people dying every single episode and characters are often covered in blood. and #2 the whole "real SHIELD" plot felt silly. After all the running around and backstabbing, its solved with a pretty simple conversation between Coulson and Adama ( I mean Gonzalez). And May being mad at Coulson felt really forced. I mean is he supposed to tell everyone everything?
  • Options
    Visual FX sizzle reel

• Options
    i don't know where to post this:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/marvel-shake-up-film-chief-819205

Marvel Shake-Up: Film Chief Kevin Feige Breaks Free of CEO Ike Perlmutter (Exclusive)
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    bamfbamf said:

Marvel Shake-Up: Film Chief Kevin Feige Breaks Free of CEO Ike Perlmutter (Exclusive)

From the stories I've read over the years (some of which are found in that article) this is probably a good thing.
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

TV is still under Perlmutter's "Leadership".
  • Options
    AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3 Teaser - And LASH First Look

https://tv.yahoo.com/video/marvels-agents-h-e-l-204615912.html

• Options
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Watch the First 4 Minutes of ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Season 3 Premiere

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/09/24/marvels-agents-of-shield-season-3-premiere-opening-scene
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I thought it was pretty good!
  • Options
    Watched it last night. This is definitely a different show than the first season. I told my wife this show is the Anti-Heroes because Shield sucked for most of the first season and its gotten better. Much better quality arc. I give it a 3.5 out of 5 freking swers. They needed a lot of exposition and did that with the gu.y they extracted. I felt sorry for that guy. "Well I'm out of the closet and now I'm back in one." Forgot that Thor: The Dark World was in London. They film is falling further behind in my memory. I hope Ragnarok is better.

Didn't miss May but not that I don't look forward to her return.