Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

TV News: Gotham

Comments

• batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Anything I can imagine of it just seems wholly unsatisfying to me. Cant think of anything they can do with this that would make it really worthwhile. The best they can do is make a really good crime drama. Great, but whats the point or purpose of having the main character be Gordon and the setting be Gothom? How can that be enough? I dont see how those limited ellements can satisfy Bat fans or be a selling point to non-fans.
    Were not getting the Waynes as characters apparently. There cant be any known villains (not really anyway or that wouldnt upset longtime fans). Just a notorious named city, a young boy in mourning (not even in training), his buttler (maybe an interesting character. so?) , and a famous cop (maybe a cool character?), who is working an infamous case... one which we already know he doesnt solve.
    Those interested and familiar with the mythos will just be routinely disappointed and those new to it wont care. The only way this works is if the writing and performances are somehow out of this world good, and what are the odds of that?
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Of course, when dealing with the hypothetical, anything can be good. Hypothetically, anything can work out to be better than we expect.

That said, it feels like they have limited themselves a lot in their premise. Sure, we don't know what it will end up being yet, but I think it is fair to say that it SOUNDS like it is a show about James Gordon, set before the most interesting part of his life starts.

The hook for people to show up is that it is not a real city, it is Gotham. But Gotham is Batman. But this show? No Batman. And it is not even set in the chaotic, costume-and-horror filled time of Batman, the way the (excellent) Gotham Central police series was, in which detectives had to try to figure out what it meant to be police in Gotham's Batman. This is Gotham pre-Batman. So even Gordon is the cop he was pre-Batman.

So, yes, hypothetically, It could have brilliant execution and be amazing.

But I think they have their work cut out for themselves, you know what I mean?
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    David_D said:

Of course, when dealing with the hypothetical, anything can be good. Hypothetically, anything can work out to be better than we expect.

That said, it feels like they have limited themselves a lot in their premise. Sure, we don't know what it will end up being yet, but I think it is fair to say that it SOUNDS like it is a show about James Gordon, set before the most interesting part of his life starts.

The hook for people to show up is that it is not a real city, it is Gotham. But Gotham is Batman. But this show? No Batman. And it is not even set in the chaotic, costume-and-horror filled time of Batman, the way the (excellent) Gotham Central police series was, in which detectives had to try to figure out what it meant to be police in Gotham's Batman. This is Gotham pre-Batman. So even Gordon is the cop he was pre-Batman.

So, yes, hypothetically, It could have brilliant execution and be amazing.

But I think they have their work cut out for themselves, you know what I mean?

I have no problem with that statement, at all.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I know we should 'wait & see' but it looks as though the series is going to lean in the direction that concerns me. How can we get any villain origins if they weren't created until after Batman appeared. Plus, if Bruce is 13 years old, doesn't that make his Rogues Gallery about 10 years older?

http://batman-news.com/2014/01/13/gotham-tv-series-will-feature-batman-joker-catwoman-riddler/

M
  • If it were Gotham Central then it had the ability to work but if it is before batman the all everyone will be asking is when is batman going to show up. Now, if it was a travelling Bruce Wayne story the that would be more interesting on his road to becoming batman. I take @Matt's sentiments that it is just a way to dress up a police procedural. Here is an idea Hollywood, abandon the generic police/courtroom drama I'm favour of something a little different.

If it were Gotham Central then it had the ability to work but if it is before batman the all everyone will be asking is when is batman going to show up. Now, if it was a travelling Bruce Wayne story the that would be more interesting on his road to becoming batman. I take @Matt's sentiments that it is just a way to dress up a police procedural. Here is an idea Hollywood, abandon the generic police/courtroom drama I'm favour of something a little different.

You're exactly right. This seems to be similar to how I interpret Agents of SHIELD; cookie-cutter show with a comic book wrapping.

The series would get a little more leeway from me if it was marketed as Gotham Central; though I'd still not watch it. Will your casual fans tune in because they care about Gordon & seeing the gradual birth of Batman's rogues or abandon the series once they realize Batman is years away?

At least with a Gotham Central, you can have the villains (without this BS notion they were created pre-Batman) & use 'slight of hand' techniques to include Batman when needed. A batarang here, silhouette there, quick movement of a cape going out of scene, etc. Not every case the GCPD investigates needs Batman's assistance or includes his rogues. I'm sure Gordon has enemies from his CPD days.

Ultimately, I'd prefer to see something different. Hell, a limited episode series about Alfred before he became a butler would interest me more then this. He spent time as a spy, soldier, & actor. There has to be cool stories in that gold mine!

M
  • PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I don't think anything about this show should be believed until its out. I don't believe it will be good, but I could be wrong. I like SHIELD
  • Matt said:

Ultimately, I'd prefer to see something different. Hell, a limited episode series about Alfred before he became a butler would interest me more then this. He spent time as a spy, soldier, & actor. There has to be cool stories in that gold mine!

M

Now thAt is actually an interesting concept I could get behind. It could have a 'tinker tailor' vibe to it. Much better idea than 'the Grayson's' pitch from a few years ago.

So, does that mean an early 20s Batman takes on an early 40s Penguin?

http://batman-news.com/2014/01/26/penguin-will-first-batman-villain-gotham/

M
  • When is this series looking to come out?
    Weird. I have have no idea where this show is going. Unless this is the Batman equivalent of smallville. And...optimistic as I tend to be, I don't know if that is going to work tonally.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    random73 said:

Weird. I have have no idea where this show is going. Unless this is the Batman equivalent of smallville. And...optimistic as I tend to be, I don't know if that is going to work tonally.

We've already got the Batman equivalent of Smallville: It's called Arrow.

;)
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

;)
    No kidding. I guess I'm wondering if this Jim Gordon mentoring young Bruce or what? I guess you can't have Bruce an the gang hanging out at the local coffee shop cuz let's face it if Bruce had any damn friends he might be able to get past some of his baggage. So Bruce hangs out with old cop dudes and learns to solve crimes? Ugh.
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

;)
    That's actually a major reason why I don't watch Arrow.

M
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

;)

M
    that seems odd to me. Arrow seems right up your alley. In the same way that i said Avoid Doctor Who you will not dig it. I say give Arrow season one a shot. If you don't dig it, my bad. The only real down side to it is the occasional CW-ness of the whole thing but all told it is pretty solid.
    random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

;)

M
    that seems odd to me. Arrow seems right up your alley. In the same way that i said Avoid Doctor Who you will not dig it. I say give Arrow season one a shot. If you don't dig it, my bad. The only real down side to it is the occasional CW-ness of the whole thing but all told it is pretty solid.
    I agree.

It's very Batman: Year One.

And as The Brave and The Bold cartoons point out, Green Arrow was originally just Batman with a Bow.
    I concur, they are really playing on that Batman with a bow angle. In the end, when I want to watch Batman, I want to watch Batman. I've heard good things about the show, and if it was Batman I'd be all over it.

I did feel like Beware the Batman was a cartoon version of Arrow, only with Batman. A copy of a copy?!

M
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Hmm. . . the merge function is acting a little strangely tonight. For me the newest post in the merged thread is displaying as the oldest rather than the newest. Gremlins. Anyway, here is the new post:
    JaxUr said:

Ben McKenzie (Southland; OC) has been cast as Detective Jim Gordon in the upcoming TV series GOTHAM:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=94241

• JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Gotham casts ALFRED, PENGUIN, SARAH ESSEN, & BARBARA KEAN (Gordon's fiancee):

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/gotham-fox-tv-series-casting-the-penguin-alfred-and-more/#/0
    JaxUr said:

Gotham casts ALFRED, PENGUIN, SARAH ESSEN, & BARBARA KEAN (Gordon's fiancee):

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/gotham-fox-tv-series-casting-the-penguin-alfred-and-more/#/0

Interesting character revisions. Not ones I think are interesting enough for me to now what to watch the series.

M
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited February 2014
    in zero year, batman is just green arrow with a different colored bow

but yay Donal Logue
    Krescan said:

in zero year, batman is just green arrow with a different colored bow

but yay Donal Logue

Haha, like in Arrow!

M

Marathon said:

There's a review of the pilot script out there (if it's not a fake script)
    http://io9.com/what-we-learned-from-the-script-for-gothams-first-epi-1530515272/@tcraggs22

If this is truly legit as the working script...the author shares my initial concerns about the show. I'm still looking to stay far away from this series.

M
    Looks like Bruce & Selina are cast. Apparently, even Catwoman is older then Batman!!

http://batman-news.com/2014/03/04/gotham-casts-young-bruce-wayne-selina-kyle/

M
    Birds of Prey lasted 13 episodes.

Think this will get that far?
    WetRats said:

Birds of Prey lasted 13 episodes.

Think this will get that far?

Actually, I think this will get at least a season. When Birds of Prey came out, there was really only Smallville on TV and a memory of Batman & Robin that wasn't distant enough.

Gotham will be airing with shows like Arrow, Marvel: Agents of SHIELD, and Flash, plus a growing love for comic book movies, coattailling off of Nolan's trilogy and Affleck as the next Batman. I think it will get heavily criticized for being everything BUT Batman, but audiences will stick it out long enough for a season.

Besides no Batman, it will suffer by not fitting into the world of Man Of Steel and the new DCU movie universe. M:AoS has the benefit of fitting into the Marvel Studios universe and it is (reportedly) working into at least the Winter Soldier movie.

M
  • MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I suppose if it's failing, they can do a 'five years later' thing and advance Bruce's age to brooding teenager just back from a round the world training regimen. He still wouldn't be Batman, but he would be old enough to get out there to investigate stuff and crack skulls.